PDA

View Full Version : Mirror dish spares/coloured glass

DJNutter
20-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Peeps,

I like to use retro lights for 70's and 80's nights.

I’ve just acquired a Monster Moon and I am giving it a overhaul.
Does anyone know where can I find replacement colour mirror tiles (1.5cm squared) or a complete mirror dish, the same as the type you would find in a cheap vasto light.
It’s a monster of a light and would love it to be fully restored asap.
Would be very grateful for any pointers.

Cheers

Nutter

Excalibur
20-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Peeps,

I like to use retro lights for 70's and 80's nights.

I’ve just acquired a Monster Moon and I am giving it a overhaul.
Does anyone know where can I find replacement colour mirror tiles (1.5cm squared) or a complete mirror dish, the same as the type you would find in a cheap vasto light.
It’s a monster of a light and would love it to be fully restored asap.
Would be very grateful for any pointers.

Cheers

Nutter
Pah!. It's a toy compared to the Magic Moon. :D

NKR
21-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm still using one of them in the middle of the rig. Bomb proof.

Does that make me retro?

DJNutter
21-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok Excalibur, it's not the size of a small child :eek: but its still a bit of a beast. :D

NKR, yes retro !

So.. anyone know where I can get spares ? :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure they are retro. The Monster Moon was manufactured by Abstract and was the first proper effects light I used, but I would have thought it came out in the early 90s?

NKR
21-09-2009, 10:21 AM
It was early 90's and I still love mine. Its a nice room filler. Stick it on the back wall for room coverage and use other stuff for your dance floor.

I would think you may need to try ebay for spares and look out for another one for sale or someone breaking one for spares. Silly question, but have you tried abstract?

Mine cost me £16.00 off ebay and has done 2 years so worth every penny.

Pe7e
21-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure they are retro. The Monster Moon was manufactured by Abstract and was the first proper effects light I used, but I would have thought it came out in the early 90s?

I tend to agree, when I think of retro lights, Harvesters, Helicopters, UFOs, Astros and Comets etc spring to mind. they're some very good videos of these in action, on you tube, if anyone is interested.

deltic
21-09-2009, 01:31 PM
hilspin sound services in sacriston used to make mirror dishes using dicroic mirrors for the lights they built might be worth a ring 0191-371-0283

Dynamic Entertainment
21-09-2009, 05:38 PM
There is a Monster moon on ebay - £35, no bids - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Abstract-Monster-Moon_W0QQitemZ220483659720QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co nElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item3355d9a7c8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

NKR
21-09-2009, 05:41 PM
MMMMMMMMMMM Monster Moon. Hull is too far for me to justify going and picking it up or I would have had that.

Two monster moons - Yeah baby thats a monster mash.

DJNutter
22-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the link - However it would cost me £50 in fuel to pick up, pity :(

I have found a website that will supply 1/2" Mirrors really cheap £4 for 40, trouble is they are silver... could I paint them with somthing like nail varnish to achive the colours ? Also one of the peices of glass in the front 'pyramid' could do with replacing. Does anyone know what they are coated with? in paticular it's the yellow sheet of glass.

Cheers

Andy