PDA

View Full Version : info please if possible for possible wedding booking

a2bdisco
22-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi, just a quick question about a possible wedding booking.
It goes like this.
I had a phone call asking for a quote on a wedding in a few weeks time.
I gave my quote, and he said could he meet me before he decided or not to book me. I thought this weird as in the past I've been booked then met them after booking to discuss their requirements.

Question is: has this ever happened to any of you guys before?

I don't want to turn up there (I'm meeting them at the venue which is 25
miles away) and end up with them not booking me.

Thanks for any info.

Mark at All Star

Vectis
22-09-2009, 09:45 PM
About a third of my meetings are pre-booking, and I've yet to fail to convert a single one.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Ive had a fair few that are pre-booking meetings. After all, you wouldnt buy a new car without taking it for a test drive first. Same applies here, you dont (as a client) want to book a DJ, only to find that they personally arnt suitable for your needs.

Im finding more clients asking for a pre-booking meeting, and like Martin (VV), ive converted every one of them.

spin mobile disco
22-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I do meet for pre booking meetings but tend to steer prospective clients to one of my public events or at one of my wedding fayres if they wish to meet me in person.

DazzyD
22-09-2009, 09:57 PM
This happens quite a bit for wedding clients. It gives me the chance to sell our services using eye contact and gestures - all great sales tools when used well.

rob1963
22-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi, just a quick question about a possible wedding booking.
It goes like this.
I had a phone call asking for a quote on a wedding in a few weeks time.
I gave my quote, and he said could he meet me before he decided or not to book me. I thought this weird as in the past I've been booked then met them after booking to discuss their requirements.

Question is: has this ever happened to any of you guys before?

I don't want to turn up there (I'm meeting them at the venue which is 25
miles away) and end up with them not booking me.

Thanks for any info.

Mark at All Star

Of the few people I DO visit for meetings, some of them want me to visit BEFORE deciding whether to book me.

That said, you can't beat face to face situations to close the deal, and I'm more than happy to visit them before they've booked, because just like Vectis I've not yet failed to convert one of these meetings to a booking.

DJMaxG
23-09-2009, 01:05 AM
I think if someone has booked the venue and has gone into all the effort of arranging to meet you over there, unless there is a very valid reason, they should book You.

If the Customer was not comfortable with your prices etc, then they would have turned away well before the meeting.

a2bdisco
23-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all your replies.

It's because this would be my first pre booking meeting in all my years as a DJ, as I said before people in the past have just booked on the phone without a meeting, and then I've met them afterwards to talk about their needs.
I was a bit worried as I had a 'booking' at the same venue sometime ago and it ended up to be a wind up. I guess that's another jeremy kyle show, if you know what I mean.
Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it.

Mark at All Star

soundtracker
23-09-2009, 07:29 AM
My experience is the same as everyone else, the pre-meeting also gives the opportunity to upsell other services, which is much easier face to face.

Vectis
23-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I just had a booking form back from a couple I went to visit last weekend.

They asked for a meeting primarily because, by their own admittance, the only DJs they'd ever seen at weddings had been pants, and they weren't sure about having one for theirs. They'd already decided that they wanted band+disco, with the disco just doing an hour or so at the end. As I have contacts with local bands & artistes they really wanted me there for my expertise in this area.

After an hour with them, with pictures, video clips and testimonials, I'd convinced them that they did actually want just a disco and that I was the man to do it.

The pleasing thing is that I sketched out some of our optional extras whilst I was there (and showed them a few samples - uplighting, video recording, starcloths etc.) and told them that there was no need to decided then and there, but we'd have a pre-event meeting at the venue in due course and finalise the options. So the quote was just a standard wedding disco evening event with no extras.

Anyway, back to the booking form. The impetus for writing this reply is that every single options box has a tick in it :) So it's gone from being a £300 gig to a £600 gig, and all because I took the time out to go and meet with them, allay their fears, and give them something to look forward to instead of dreading it.

This is not uncommon when folks request pre-booking meetings; so much so that I'm thinking of offering it as standard for wedding bookings.

I met with three couples last weekend; all are now in the bag. This one plus two deposit cheques banked pending contracts back.

Kernow
23-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I think if someone has booked the venue and has gone into all the effort of arranging to meet you over there, unless there is a very valid reason, they should book You.

If the Customer was not comfortable with your prices etc, then they would have turned away well before the meeting.

Just for once Max, we have a thread which is not about price....it's about value and suitability which is where the professional DJ holds all the aces if presented properly.
There is never an obligation on anyone to book us and this is where selling yourself and your package becomes an integral part of providing your services.

The 100% conversion rates from meetings are never down to sympathy or moral conscience on the part of the client ;)

Penfold42
23-09-2009, 11:52 AM
About a third of my meetings are pre-booking, and I've yet to fail to convert a single one.
Come on 25 miles on the IOW is once around the island....:D

This happens quite a bit for wedding clients. It gives me the chance to sell our services using eye contact and gestures - all great sales tools when used well.

...like talking to them on the phone maybe? :D

I only meet customers when deposit has been paid. I sell myself on the phone and then when money is in the bank, I arrange a meeting.

never been asked the other way round....:)

yourdj
23-09-2009, 02:50 PM
i would double check what venue they want you at and google map their home address too as i have failed to do this before and ended up in almost dangerous situations at dodgy gigs. Face to face is good but only when the clients are serious. If your good enough in person they will book you.

I always bring uplights etc. to show in person. Generally most people pay deposit first?