PDA

View Full Version : Laptop DJ's

Jonathan Ford
23-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Guys

Just wondering, those of you who use laptops as your main playout, what other stuff do you keep on the machine?

Do you delete everything apart from the OS and the playout software? Still keep MS Office and use the machine for other stuff in the week?

I'm planning on going digital before Xmas, and don't know whether to but a new laptop dedicated to just playout software and iTunes, or to recycle an existing laptop.

Vectis
23-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I used a laptop for about 3 years until I discovered the joys of the d2 Director.

To answer the question, OPTIMISED AND DEDICATED all the way. Not only is it your livelihood, it's other peoples' special events. Take no chances.

Oh, and have backup on hand too. But I guess that goes without saying :p

SC Events
23-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I use a laptop (with Vista) and run Virtual DJ with a Numark DMC2 Controller plugged in.

The laptop has crashed once, but I have CD decks as back-up and, to be honest, no-one really noticed, they just carried on dancing.

If your going to use a laptop, don't use Vista like I do, use a laptop with XP on or format your hard-drive and load XP on - It is a helluva lot more stable the Vista. (On the other hand you could install Windows 7, although I haven't tested Virtual DJ on it).

............If your wondering why I haven't changed back to XP, it's because my Nan's accounts (She has back-ups of back-ups of backups) and some other stuff is on there.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2009, 01:01 PM
If your going to use a laptop, don't use Vista like I do, use a laptop with XP on or format your hard-drive and load XP on - It is a helluva lot more stable the Vista. (On the other hand you could install Windows 7, although I haven't tested Virtual DJ on it).

I'm sure sure I agree about that Scott.

I use both and Vista is just as stable and is recommended by VDJ too.

Jiggles
23-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I use a laptop (with Vista) and run Virtual DJ with a Numark DMC2 Controller plugged in.

The laptop has crashed once, but I have CD decks as back-up and, to be honest, no-one really noticed, they just carried on dancing.

............If your wondering why I haven't changed back to XP, it's because my Nan's accounts (She has back-ups of back-ups of backups) and some other stuff is on there.

I have to disagree there. Vista for me on my PC has been alot more stable than XP ever was.

BeerFunk
23-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Both Windows XP and Vista are stable operating systems - it's the other factors introduced that may cause instability, whether that be the hardware, or other software installed

Larry B Entertainment
23-09-2009, 01:58 PM

I use Vista on my main playout machine with no problems and it will happily run for 7 - 8 hours at a time with no problem, and its only a 1GB 2.4 p4 system. As Vectis has said its all about optimisation.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Vista is as stable as XP, BUT it uses a hell of a lot more RAM to run efficiently.

To that end Serato (which I use) suggests XP over Vista...but thats it.

PS - Defo keep it dedicated. Mine is stripped to the bare OS and SSL (oh, and i kept Notepad for, erm, notes on the night.

Daryll
23-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Stripped down XP ( no games etc.

Ultramixer ( playout)
My dmx ( backup)
sound card drivers.

that`s it.

Daryll

DJMaxG
23-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I am primarily a CD DJ, so I don't really use software.

I Think if I was, then I would certainly choose a machine that a capable of running the software and wouldn't buy MS Office, it didn't come free with my acer - just a limited day period trial.

I'd probably just leave the programs on there if they were causing no harm, as you'll probably find that you have already paid for them within the retail price of the laptop. But, I would probably delete them, or maybe just erase the icons to keep the desktop nice and clean.

simonp
23-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I use a MacBook Pro Aluminuim running Mac OS X 10.5.8.
I mainly use Traktor Pro but also have Ableton and Mixmeister on there as well
and it is very stable.
I also use the Mac for creating videos, but once done and uplaoded, they are bounced onto an external hard-drive and deleted off the MacBook.
Everything else including all my admin is done on a seperate laptop (Acer Aspire 6920)

Definitely agree with one of the earlier posts on keeping your DJ'ing Laptop just for DJ'ing.

DJMaxG
23-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Definitely agree with one of the earlier posts on keeping your DJ'ing Laptop just for DJ'ing.

If You're a Laptop DJ - Then I Guess the laptop then becomes a piece of equipment.

discomobiledj
23-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I am primarily a CD DJ, so I don't really use software.

Err, playing cd's in your bedroom really doesn't qualify!

Excalibur
23-09-2009, 07:31 PM

I keep my DJ'ing laptop for anything except that. Get an HDC, whatever flavour you fancy, and use the lappy as an adjunct.

notroubleclubber
23-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I had a vista laptop running vdj but found i had problems with my bcd3000 so i reformatted using xp and now have had no probs (touch wood) running over 6 hours each time.

discomobiledj
23-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Vista laptop, media monkey, office, external sound card and drivers, never been a problem

Jonathan Ford
23-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Many thanks for your replies guys. New, dedicated lappy it is then.

visualdjmax
23-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Best I start clearing mine down then. Very interesting thread.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Ah...but are you7 using a lappy or Mac max?

visualdjmax
23-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Ah...but are you7 using a lappy or Mac max?

MACBOOK Pro, but I am also running Final Cut Pro, Arkaos and Serato on it as well, not all at the same time though. I think that I am going to make it a dedicated Serato machine.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-09-2009, 10:53 PM
See Macbooks have always been better at running multiple apps at once (IMO),

DJMaxG
23-09-2009, 10:54 PM
What I would Like to know is :

MAC Vs 00DJ

Thoughts and opinions below ....

Dynamic Entertainment
23-09-2009, 10:58 PM
If you want to waste £2,300 on a pimped up laptop with lights and chrome then go for it max.

Yes it looks nice and claims to be bombproof for club work...but ive never had a windows based lappy fail on me in 4 years (touch wood), and theres djs ive worked with who have had macs for even longer, in and out of clubs 5 nights a week.

sleah
24-09-2009, 12:09 PM
What I would Like to know is :

MAC Vs 00DJ

Thoughts and opinions below ....

You can't easily compare. Besides, are you comparing the hardware or O/S or applications?
You haven't mentioned applications so I guess it's hardware/software.

Off the shelf, the 00DJ will be better, as it has been customised especially for DJ use, whereas the Mac will still be full of the crap that they ship with.

Once both have been tweaked and set up dedicated to DJ use, then it will be down to the stability of the chosen application software.

then it's purely down to personal preference - do you want to click some fruit and see no programs then have to go on a hunt, or click START which is also the button to STOP.....:p blah blah blah:beer1:

The only true way to try and compare is a laptop of each flavour, running on the optimum hardware for the loaded operating system, with the same peripherals and a cross-platform version of the same application software.

Then add some luck;) both Macs & PCs tend to do their own thing when you least expect it:eek:
The whole Mac is better than PC is utter :BS: it's down to how the systems are configured and used and how well the application software is programmed.

visualdjmax
24-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Off the shelf, the 00DJ will be better, as it has been customised especially for DJ use, whereas the Mac will still be full of the crap that they ship with.

Ouch???????:D

Once both have been tweaked and set up dedicated to DJ use, then it will be down to the stability of the chosen application software.

Agreed? (ish)

Then add some luck;) both Macs & PCs tend to do their own thing when you least expect it:eek:

Agreed?

Mark Wild
24-09-2009, 12:37 PM
The whole Mac is better than PC is utter :BS: it's down to how the systems are configured and used and how well the application software is programmed.

Agreed, any Mac or P.C is only as good as the person that uses it.

Ouch???????:D

Agreed? (ish)

Agreed?

Your use of the question mark confuses me lol. :D

SC Events
24-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Slightly sidetracking - does anyone know where I can get a Macbook Pro, at a good price, from?

I'm preferably looking for a 17" Screen with the 2.88Ghz Processor and Nvidia Graphics Card.

Vectis
24-09-2009, 02:13 PM
The Apple Refurb store?

I've had all my gear from there apart from iPhones and it's always been good as new and fully warranted. Generally 20-30% off list. Stock is updated daily so check regularly.

visualdjmax
24-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Agreed, any Mac or P.C is only as good as the person that uses it.

Your use of the question mark confuses me lol. :D

Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

visualdjmax
24-09-2009, 02:55 PM
The Apple Refurb store?

I've had all my gear from there apart from iPhones and it's always been good as new and fully warranted. Generally 20-30% off list. Stock is updated daily so check regularly.

Good shout! or Mac One or the Scrumpy Macs

Jiggles
24-09-2009, 03:33 PM
The Apple Refurb store?

That's where i got my one for £1029. 15" but has a res of a 17". Only problem is that I'm having to get it fixed... The Airport cards faulty. :bang:

DJNutter
24-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi mate,

Just upgraded my main laptop and purchased a Night Blue Dell Studio 1555 (500GB hard disc and 4GB Memory) for £99 this was on a £40 a month deal with Vodaphone Mobile broadband. That included the 3G Mobile Broadband dongle and 5 Gig a month. Comes with 2 Soundcards built in ! Perfect for VDJ !

Running Vista home premuim and free upgrade to windows 7 next month.

As a bonus I use the dongle for text requests as they come straight to my inbox I never forget a request or message.

I Think all the major electrical outlets are still doing the deal.

My old latop replaces my even older backup laptop.

Hope that helps

Nutter