PDA

View Full Version : Halogen bulb holder problem

tc1ooo
24-09-2009, 05:51 PM
While taking the bulb out of a ceramic holder I managed to break of one of the bulb "legs", and it's stuck in there. Any idea of how to get it out? There's nothing to grab hold of. :(

Cj_The_Dj
24-09-2009, 05:54 PM
While taking the bulb out of a ceramic holder I managed to break of one of the bulb "legs", and it's stuck in there. Any idea of how to get it out? There's nothing to grab hold of. :(

I would just change the lamp holder. there about 2 quid in craplins.

ps. a bulbs grows :D

tc1ooo
24-09-2009, 05:59 PM
It's soldered straight onto a circuit board, and I can't get to the back of it, that's the only problem.

It actually says "bulb" next to it on the circuit board, so it must be one :)

Sapphire Disco
24-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes wouldn't be much good if you got it out, those holders connections are very fragile and the pins have a habit of welding themselves to the contacts. I have noticed it more with cheaper lower quality lamps more, but can still sometimes happen with the more expensive ones as well.

Reading your last post I would just cut the holder off and connect a new one to the end of the wire using connection block and insulate well.

BeerFunk
24-09-2009, 06:06 PM
In my experience, you're definitely going to have to replace the lamp holder - you simply can't remove the pin without damaging the holder.

NKR
24-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Treat lamp holders as a consumable. Is the ceramic end direct to a circuit board or the wires off it. If it is attached by the wires get yourself some ceramic connection blocks (heat resistant and prevents melting which can occur with normal electrical connection blocks) and new lamp holders (ceramic ones) and cut the wires and reconnect via the cermamic block.

They go all the time even if the lamp leg doesn't get stuck in they just go after about 18 to 24 months of heavy use.

tc1ooo
25-09-2009, 09:20 PM
The problem is it's directly on the circuit board. The holder itself isn't damaged at all. It would save a lot of hassle if I could get the bulb leg out.

BeerFunk
25-09-2009, 09:53 PM
That doesn't look so difficult to replace! Your odds of getting the pin out without damaging the holder are miniscule, believe me, I've tried!

tc1ooo
26-09-2009, 01:18 PM
You don't know how bad my soldering is! :)

Pe7e
26-09-2009, 01:55 PM
You don't know how bad my soldering is! :)

The secret of soldering is to use a hot iron, that's big enough for the job, and a dab of active flux helps no end.

tc1ooo
06-10-2009, 05:43 PM
In the end I thought I'd have nothing to lose by tapping a small nail into the hole to see if it would open it up a bit... and it worked! :)

NKR
06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
In the end I thought I'd have nothing to lose by tapping a small nail into the hole to see if it would open it up a bit... and it worked! :)

Yes but will you get a decend contact with the new bulb? What in the world is that piece of kit anyhow?

tc1ooo
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes it's working fine. It's a crossover in a speaker, the bulb is for tweeter protection.