PDA

View Full Version : Numark DDS80 - Discontinued?

DJ Jules
28-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know what's happening with the Numark DDS/DDS80 series of Hard Drive Controllers?

There was a note a while ago about them being discontinued, but no-one confirmed or denied the rumours?

I notice quite a few sales channels (HTFR for one) have either dropped the DDS80 completely, or are discounting it heavily to get rid of it (Like this (http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=3853&cat=323)).

Anyone know anything?

Julian

Adam_F
28-09-2009, 10:20 PM
DDS 80 is discontinued, not sure on the DDS as I never had it on the site anyway, but guess it will be.

JDB Entertainment
28-09-2009, 11:11 PM
For the people like me who have one, its a shame about the massive price drop.

If anyone is considering buying one, it has never failed for me. :D

rob1963
28-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Numark certainly don't have their hard drive conmtrollers out for long before discontinuing them!

I'm guessing they're about to launch something new.

Maybe we could have a thread about it...even though nothing has announced & nobody knows what it will be!

deltic
29-09-2009, 01:03 AM
have a d2 and a dds80 love em to bits both work great.

friend of mine has just got the pioneer mep-7000 nice piece of kit

DJMaxG
29-09-2009, 02:24 AM
we went somehow from a D2, to a DDS80, to a DDS.

I wonder what the next model name will be :

DDT80
DDU90
DDV55
DDW67
DDX43
DDY09
DDZ21

Excalibur
29-09-2009, 04:58 AM
DDS 80 is discontinued, not sure on the DDS as I never had it on the site anyway, but guess it will be.
Good heavens!:eek:

Numark certainly don't have their hard drive conmtrollers out for long before discontinuing them!

I wouldn't put your life savings on it Rob. ;)

we went somehow from a D2, to a DDS80, to a DDS.

I wonder what the next model name will be :

DDT80
DDU90
DDV55
DDW67
DDX43
DDY09
DDZ21

More likely :Tumble:

DJ Jules
29-09-2009, 06:45 AM
have a d2 and a dds80 love em to bits both work great.

Good to know...

Friend of mine has just got the pioneer mep-7000 nice piece of kit

I've been looking at the DDS80 and the Pioneer MEP7000/SEP-C1. I was seriously thinking about the MEP/SEP-C1 until I realised that the 3U controller is just that, and you need either a laptop or the CD drawers (which obviously have a lot more than just the CD drives in them) to actually play anything, which adds a lot of weight and price! Reading the manuals for both the DDS and the MEP, I get the impression that some of the software on the MEP front end is less than brilliantly designed, but that's just from reading the manual so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's got one and uses it as a stand alone controller.

I need to get my hands on one of each to have a play :)

Julian

Corabar Steve
29-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder what the reason for that could be?

Vectis
29-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder what the reason for that could be?

Innovation perhaps?

Having used a d2 since literally a couple of weeks after launch , and more recently an iDJ2 (same guts as the DDS80) without a single issue other than a corrupt mp3 file (my fault) I've sat through umpteen "dodgy cortex" and "dodgy denon" threads on this and other forums (?fora?).

Not saying this in a :ner: kind of way ... I'm just saying that anyone who's teetering right now is going to get a bargain if they grab one of the last DDS's.

rob1963
29-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Innovation perhaps?

Having used a d2 since literally a couple of weeks after launch, and more recently an iDJ2 (same guts as the DDS80) without a single issue other than a corrupt mp3 file (my fault) I've sat through umpteen "dodgy cortex" and "dodgy denon" threads on this and other forums (?fora?).

Not saying this in a :ner: kind of way ... I'm just saying that anyone who's teetering right now is going to get a bargain if they grab one of the last DDS's.

:agree:

I'm even considering picking up a DDS myself.

Loving the colour screen (as also used on the idj2).

BeerFunk
29-09-2009, 08:34 AM
For me, Numark have always been the middle ground between budget and top grade equipment - and so a bit hit or miss. I think they are striving to break new ground, and not quite succeeding.

rob1963
29-09-2009, 09:01 AM
For me, Numark have always been the middle ground between budget and top grade equipment

Yes.....I think that's exactly where they sit.

and so a bit hit or miss.

Not so sure about that.

From what I've read & heard, they seem to have the most reliable hard drive players.

I think they are striving to break new ground, and not quite succeeding.

Not so sure about that, either.

I believe Denon copied one or two of the D2 features with one of their upgrades to the 2500.

Pe7e
29-09-2009, 09:34 AM
For me, Numark have always been the middle ground between budget and top grade equipment - and so a bit hit or miss. I think they are striving to break new ground, and not quite succeeding.

I've got a fair bit of Numark kit in my hire stock, and I'm pleased to say it's been remarkably trouble free. My Denon HD2500 on the other hand was a load of trouble when I first got it (MM software) once it was sorted, it has also been trouble free.

Regarding the DDS80's, is it possible to play CD's back to back? since it's only got 1 CD deck I would think it wouldn't be too appealing to a CD user.

Adam_F
29-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Maybe we could have a thread about it...even though nothing has announced & nobody knows what it will be!

:rofl:

:bang: :D

If they actually had:

A) a product

B) had PUBLIC information about it

then I could post something.

The Pioneer info was freely available information that was available from Pioneer, DJ Sounds, YouTube and nearly every DJ forum apart from this one, thats why I created the thread.

I could list several new products that are launching at BPM on Saturday, thats not common knowledge, but then I'd be sued for breach of contract because of the Non Disclosure Agreements I have to sign.

Mark Wild
29-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I watched a brand new NUMARK HDCD1 go for £258 on ebay, thought that was quite a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380160678350&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Vectis
29-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Regarding the DDS80's, is it possible to play CD's back to back? since it's only got 1 CD deck I would think it wouldn't be too appealing to a CD user.

Yes, by connecting a second (or third/fourth etc.) USB CD drive.

Or by using MP3 CDR's you can cue up the next track from the same platter (a bit limiting from the creativity perspective, but it can be done)

I don't think the product was aimed at CD users - it's more of a backup/ad-hoc drive than anything else.

JDB Entertainment
29-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I am sure you can buy the extra 2 CD Drawers.

Adam have they reduced these aswell?

James

Larry B Entertainment
29-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Innovation perhaps?

Having used a d2 since literally a couple of weeks after launch , and more recently an iDJ2 (same guts as the DDS80) without a single issue other than a corrupt mp3 file (my fault) I've sat through umpteen "dodgy cortex" and "dodgy denon" threads on this and other forums (?fora?).

Thats true. You dont seem to hear about many problems with Numarks.

DJ Jules
29-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I watched a brand new NUMARK HDCD1 go for £258 on ebay, thought that was quite a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380160678350&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You don't see them around very often!

Julian

Penfold42
29-09-2009, 12:06 PM

It is if you like Numark! :sofa:

rob1963
29-09-2009, 02:12 PM
It is if you like Numark! :sofa:

Which lots of us do!

:D :D :D

DJ Jules
29-09-2009, 04:25 PM
As a side - has anyone ever tried preparing their music library for use on more than one type of HDC? I've just been reading the manuals and:

Cortex Recommend storing your files no more than one folder deep (otherwise issues can, and from experience, will, occur during playout). They also recommend not taking any more than 5000 tracks out at a time.

Numark Recommend storing no more than 100 files or folders in any given folder so music should be broken up into folders with categories (Genre, Artist, etc) and then numbered subfolders and numbered sub-subfolders if required.

Pioneer (MEP 7000) recommend storing files in folders no more than 8 folders deep (as files in folders deeper than this will not be seen), but don't seem to impose any other restrictions for USB HDD's. For USB Pen sticks or CD's/DVD's they impose a limit of 2000 tracks (after which the tracks just won't be visible).

The above all make it pretty hard to store your files in a way which will satisfy two devices (unless one of them is a Pioneer).

Does anyone know what kind of restrictions Denon place on your storage arrangements for the HD2500?

Julian

Sapphire Disco
29-09-2009, 05:05 PM
You don't see them around very often!

Julian

I've got a new one for sale, never used it only tested it at home works well £250 if anyone is interested.

Excalibur
29-09-2009, 06:17 PM
As a side - has anyone ever tried preparing their music library for use on more than one type of HDC? I've just been reading the manuals and:

Cortex Recommend storing your files no more than one folder deep (otherwise issues can, and from experience, will, occur during playout). They also recommend not taking any more than 5000 tracks out at a time.

I think you're getting confused here. That's Produb. And it's 4,999, otherwise it costs extra. :sofa:

Penfold42
29-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Which lots of us do!

:D :D :D

No accounting for taste then...:eek:

Adam_F
29-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Good to know...
I need to get my hands on one of each to have a play :)

BPM this weekend - www.visitbpm.com

I am sure you can buy the extra 2 CD Drawers.

Adam have they reduced these aswell?

James

Not sure mate, it's not on their current price list, so guess it's gone.

---
---
The above all make it pretty hard to store your files in a way which will satisfy two devices (unless one of them is a Pioneer).

Does anyone know what kind of restrictions Denon place on your storage arrangements for the HD2500?

Julian

I use a full 16gb USB stick to demo all the USB media players at work (which I do on a daily basis), and it works fine in all of them - Denon, Numark, Cortex, Citronic, American DJ and Pioneer.

Only go about 2 folders deep maximum.

DJ Jules
30-09-2009, 06:37 AM
BPM this weekend

I wish - I've been banned by the wife. Apparently I "might buy something". Better :Censored: believe it :D

I use a full 16gb USB stick to demo all the USB media players at work (which I do on a daily basis), and it works fine in all of them - Denon, Numark, Cortex, Citronic, American DJ and Pioneer.

Thanks Adam, that's interesting to hear... From experience if you go more than one folder deep on the Cortex it'll run for a while, but will eventually get itself in a tizz and randomly crash (i.e. you're unlikely to see the effects while you're demoing for short periods, but over a 4-5hr gig it's likely to go).

Julian

spin mobile disco
30-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I never had a problem with the folder structure on the cortex or the numark. Mind you both are in the ntfs format which is much stabler than the fat32 structure when handling lots of files.
I did later break my folders up with sub folders so all of artists begining with a in one etc. This seems to also work well although I do use faster end external drives to cut down on latency and I keep them defragged every week.

If it is being discontinued it would be a big shame it is a very good piece of kit. I have both the D2 and the DDS80 and other than the occasional naming problem (my fault not the units i might add) they have been stable and have never crashed since I had them. I bought my D2 in the States before the UK launch so had the advantage of getting to play with it much earlier and being one of the oldest d2's in the country its still working great.
Mind you the numark keyboard bit the dust after 6 months but replaced it with a rather snazzy backlit keyboard I like more anyway :)

Excalibur
30-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I wish - I've been banned by the wife. Apparently I "might buy something". Better :Censored: believe it :D
You don't even have to go in to buy stuff! :eek: The Car Park usually has an MDD jumble sale going on. Del Boy's usually involved. ;)

Thanks Adam, that's interesting to hear... From experience if you go more than one folder deep on the Cortex it'll run for a while, but will eventually get itself in a tizz and randomly crash (i.e. you're unlikely to see the effects while you're demoing for short periods, but over a 4-5hr gig it's likely to go).

Julian
If I understood any of that, I'd comment. :confused: I just tell the mp3's to go to the HD, and they find their own little corners. :D Seems to work for me, but I'd do it differently, if I was doing it now. Still might.

I never had a problem with the folder structure on the cortex or the numark. Mind you both are in the ntfs format which is much stabler than the fat32 structure when handling lots of files.
I did later break my folders up with sub folders so all of artists begining with a in one etc. This seems to also work well although I do use faster end external drives to cut down on latency and I keep them defragged every week.

So are mine, and I agree with that ( though I'm a PC numpty) but Cortex recommend FAT32. Each system has pros and cons. You pays your money...................................... :confused:

DJ Jules
30-09-2009, 08:52 PM
So are mine, and I agree with that ( though I'm a PC numpty) but Cortex recommend FAT32. Each system has pros and cons. You pays your money...................................... :confused:

All of the HDC manufacturers (Cortex, Numark, Denon, Pioneer, etc) recommend FAT32 because while they all can read NTFS, none of them can write to it, which severely limits the players ability to store cue points, loop points, etc etc.

Anyway.... I've spent a few hours this afternoon playing with a DDS and comparing it with the Cortex it's not got a few features which I think I'll miss (bearing in mind I've got a HDC3000 which has a few more features than the 1000 anyway):

1. Hot cue points
2. Sampling/Special effects - ok, not going to miss these too much if I'm honest :o
3. Auto BPM detection and entry/exit point detection when setting up loops
4. The ability to save a playlist (or Cratelist if you prefer) back to disk
5. Waveform display (really good for working out volume levels of the next track and seeing when the track is ending) - admittedly, I can survive without this feature, but it is nice, especially when you have tracks with silence in the middle of them.

However, all in all I was pretty impressed with it. The LED's for beatmatching take a little bit of getting used to, as do the multitude of options hidden behind the mode buttons, but it's generally very responsive, especially to the jog wheels. Where I think it lets itself down is with the quality and responsiveness of the Cue/Pause/Play buttons - they feel pretty cheap and sometimes take a bit of hitting at the right angle to get to move, and the use of the nice big colour LCD screen. I think the two little windows at the top for the current track info and all the little symbols to indicate beat lock, play mode, etc are a poor use of screen real estate and they could have done better by giving over more of the screen to the current deck info when you're not actively searching for tracks or managing the contents of the crate.

However, I'm used to two big separate screens on the Cortex which can be individually used to search for tracks and manage separate playlists for each deck (which is annoying) so I would think that... I'm sure the colour screen design is a big improvement for anyone who is used to a single screen, dual deck HDC (as you have on the D2, HD2500, etc).

Now I really want to get my hands on a MEP7000.

Julian

Adam_F
30-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Now I really want to get my hands on a MEP7000.

Doesn't Chemical Records have one on demo you could have a play with?

I do a bit down in Weston Super Mare now, but won't be back down this side of Xmas now I doubt, else you could of had a look over mine.

DJ Jules
30-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Doesn't Chemical Records have one on demo you could have a play with?

Possibly... I hadn't found them yet! Thanks for the tip!

I do a bit down in Weston Super Mare now, but won't be back down this side of Xmas now I doubt, else you could of had a look over mine.

Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated. If I'm still looking the other side of Xmas I might be in touch ;)

Julian

samuelchristian
26-11-2009, 10:10 PM
After reading this thread I had a look around for a Numark DDS. I needed a new backup for my laptop based Virtual DJ setup. I fancied something with a nice big screen and the DDS looked spot on. Couldnt find a DDS but I did manage to pick up a D2 from Ebay for £120! It looks identical to the DDS, does anyone know what the differences are?

Vectis
26-11-2009, 10:20 PM
In a nutshell, a lower-res mono screen.

I have a d2 and an iDJ2 (which is the same screen as the DDS80) and still prefer the d2 for most gigs.

Good choice ... and a good price!

rob1963
26-11-2009, 10:48 PM
After reading this thread I had a look around for a Numark DDS. I needed a new backup for my laptop based Virtual DJ setup. I fancied something with a nice big screen and the DDS looked spot on. Couldnt find a DDS but I did manage to pick up a D2 from Ebay for £120! It looks identical to the DDS, does anyone know what the differences are?

From memory, the only other difference between the DDS & the D2 is that some of the illuminated buttons on the DDS are blue and some are white, whereas they are all white on the D2.

samuelchristian
27-11-2009, 10:07 AM

I have a d2 and an iDJ2 (which is the same screen as the DDS80) and still prefer the d2 for most gigs.

Good choice ... and a good price!

Nice, looking forward to it arriving :)

Sapphire Disco
27-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice, looking forward to it arriving :)

Looks like you did well , I got one a couple of weeks ago, paid a little more than you but it seems the ideal back up solution to me I don't think I would want to use it as my main play out.

I got a portable hard drive for it small & neat seems to work very well.

One of these..........