PDA

View Full Version : Mixer Isolation

SilverlineDiscos
02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi guys,

My dual set of CD players have been skipping rather a lot recently towards to the start of the disc.

I decided to give Kam a call and see what they said, and the guy on there said that the inbuilt transformer of my mixer might interfere with the laser in the CD players.

I tested this theory and he was actually right! I took the base unit out of my flightcase to see what happened, it's now sitting here on the desk playing CD's perfectly.

My question is, how can I isolate the mixer transformer so that it doesn't interfere with my CD players? Is there anything I can do because the mixer literally sits on top of the cd player base unit.

Hope to find an anwer soon though, could have a gig next sat!

Excalibur
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Loads and loads of Bacofoil?

SilverlineDiscos
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Loads and loads of Bacofoil?

Pardon my ignorance..

.. but what the hell is that!? :D

Excalibur
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Pardon my ignorance..

.. but what the hell is that!? :D

Aluminium cooking foil, in an attempt to block the interference. Not as good as Lead, but slightly lighter. :D

SilverlineDiscos
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Aluminium cooking foil, in an attempt to block the interference. Not as good as Lead, but slightly lighter. :D

You know I might actually try it :D

Bit of blu tack and some foil might do the trick! :p

DJ Jules
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
You know I might actually try it :D

Bit of blu tack and some foil might do the trick! :p

It's unfortunately unlikely to work - it's not going to be electrical interference which is causing the problem, but magnetic (e.g. the 50hz magnetic field which is being given off by the transformer in the mixer). Metal will stop it, but if two sheets of steel (the mixer and cd transport cases) aren't stopping it already, thin aluminium foil ain't going to do it.

You've got two options really, rearrange your case (or buy a new one) to get the two units away from each other or invest in a thick piece of steel plate (which may or may not help).

Did everything work ok before by the way (i.e. has this problem only just started happening?)

Julian

SilverlineDiscos
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
It's unfortunately unlikely to work - it's not going to be electrical interference which is causing the problem, but magnetic (e.g. the 50hz magnetic field which is being given off by the transformer in the mixer). Metal will stop it, but if two sheets of steel (the mixer and cd transport cases) aren't stopping it already, thin aluminium foil ain't going to do it.

You've got two options really, rearrange your case (or buy a new one) to get the two units away from each other or invest in a thick piece of steel plate (which may or may not help).

Did everything work ok before by the way (i.e. has this problem only just started happening?)

Julian

The problem seems very intermittent, but if I remove the CD base unit away from the mixer it plays CD's fine. Sometimes, when I put the CD player back into the rack case (as it was before) it will be fine for a bit but then it will come back at random times - although I'm not sure on this.

Thanks,
Adam

NKR
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
My question is, how can I isolate the mixer transformer so that it doesn't interfere with my CD players?

Give it a good telling off and put it in the corner of the room! :sofa:

On a serious note - I bought a KAM CD and it wouldn't read every now and again on its first outing. It was sent back never to be seen again. It was replaced with a Stanton C501, which was okay but would go mental every now and again so has been replaced with a Denon DN4000 (bomb proof). Moral. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble and cost getting a Denon in the first place.

I am sure some KAM kit works fine (and my old KAM mixer made it through 2 years before starting to go wrong), but regular outings of at least 6 a month I just can't trust the stuff.

mikeee
03-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you need a Faraday Cage :D

SilverlineDiscos
06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Right, so it's either try a bit of foil or buy a new CD player. Hmmm... not the answer I was looking for to be quite honest.

What do people think of Gemini CD players? I know they're not the best, but I've been looking at the CDx 2400 and it looks ok.

Excalibur
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Right, so it's either try a bit of foil or buy a new CD player. Hmmm... not the answer I was looking for to be quite honest.

What do people think of Gemini CD players? I know they're not the best, but I've been looking at the CDx 2400 and it looks ok.

What about a second case? Mixer in one, CD rig in other. Or a taller case, to get some space between them.

SilverlineDiscos
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
That's certainly an idea Excalibur, but to be quite honest the cases are almost as expensive as a set of brand new CD players.

So really, I'd much like to get a better set of CD players that have a few more features than to my own. I have a basic KAM KCD 880 but it's been good to me for the gigs I've done.

Excalibur
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
That's certainly an idea Excalibur, but to be quite honest the cases are almost as expensive as a set of brand new CD players.

So really, I'd much like to get a better set of CD players that have a few more features than to my own. I have a basic KAM KCD 880 but it's been good to me for the gigs I've done.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. CD Players. I think I remember them, but it was a long time ago. :sofa: :D :D :D

SilverlineDiscos
06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. CD Players. I think I remember them, but it was a long time ago. :sofa: :D :D :D

Yeah well some of us newbies can't afford flashy SD and USB players! :( :D

Excalibur
06-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah well some of us newbies can't afford flashy SD and USB players! :( :D

Some of us Oldies can't afford the Pioneer MEP we want either. :cry: :cry:

SilverlineDiscos
06-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Some of us Oldies can't afford the Pioneer MEP we want either. :cry: :cry:

Now wouldn't that be nice! :D

By the way, has anyone have any CD players or SD/USB player for sale? Willing to swop or exchange :)

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Why not post up in the the For Sale/Wanted forum?

NKR
06-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Whats your budget for a new twin CD?

SilverlineDiscos
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Whats your budget for a new twin CD?

As low as possible at the moment - what are you thinking? :)

I reckon about £200 as an estimate though.