View Full Version : windows 7?

sted
04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
is it worth upgrading from vista?

what are the benifits?

steve

DazzyD
04-10-2009, 09:57 AM
I've only read reviews but they've all been very positive. Apparently, W7 is more stable, more compatible and less resource-intensive than Vista.

I have Vista set up exactly how I want it now so I won't be upgrading until it's time to renew the business machines.

Rowleys
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
xp all the way i hate vista .. i might try windows 7 but xp always wins me

A1DL
04-10-2009, 11:20 AM
we're still on windows 2000 :o

Rowleys
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
you don't mess with somthink thats fully working

discomobiledj
04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I've ordered Windows 7 Professional, looking forward to it as does seem to be better than Vista and for £30.00 it's something that is worth the punt on it.

Twinspin
04-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Ive got the 7100 Build on my laptop which is the RC version of Windows 7 and id agree it is better than Vista. I will be getting it myself when it comes out probably go for ultimate i think.

But my new laptop that i bought i got an upgrade voucher for windows 7 so i can get a proper legit restore disc from toshiba for free to upgrade to windoows 7 It will be home premium on the laptop.

But Windows 7 i think its good.

Jiggles
04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Heres a tip: For anyone wanting to upgrade, Home is more than enough. All the others aren't really worth it unless you working a HUGE corporation and such or wishing to join a domain.

Digitalsounds
04-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Quite simply is it worth the upgrade

YES

Why you ask

1. Uses less memory to run
2. More stable
3. Alot better with compatability
4. much more useable
5. I like it.

Twinspin
05-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Good Riddance to Windows Vista. That will be joining Windows ME in the hall of shame!

Bring On Windows 7.

discomobiledj
05-10-2009, 03:28 AM
17 days to go then a 2.4GB download to do!!!!!

UltraBeat Entertainment
05-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I've been using Window 7 for around a month now and must say its miles better than Vista. The networking side of the OS is much better and the way it works with a network.

The whole driver issue is not a problem as it automatically downloads any drivers it needs and as a whole it runs smoother. There is still a few bugs but nothing major.

I would suggest if your running XP hold fire for a bit (until most of the bugs are ironed out) but if your running Vista i would suggest an upgarde as 7 is more stable.

Jiggles
05-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Never had a major issues with vista(appart from it not wanting to turn off my PC!) It is even running my old Windoz 95 games fine :D Just upgrade to keep current :o

sted
05-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I've ordered Windows 7 Professional, looking forward to it as does seem to be better than Vista and for £30.00 it's something that is worth the punt on it.

£30 were from?

discomobiledj
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
£30 were from?

My other half is a student so we are able to but Microsoft software for massively reduced prices. Not a bad saving!

sted
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
want to get me one?

discomobiledj
05-10-2009, 05:53 PM
want to get me one?

Only one download per email address, and it has to be a uni email.

Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Jiggles
05-10-2009, 06:04 PM
That site has just accepted my .sch.uk email address :eek: YEY! Two copy's of Win 7 now winging there way to me :D

sted
05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
do you want to give me one?

Jiggles
05-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I have two PCs to satisfy (Hopefully) Sorry. :(

sted
05-10-2009, 06:26 PM
lol ok worth a try lol

UltraBeat Entertainment
05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Can i just warn you that the Microsoft HUP (Home User Program) is only licensed while you are working or studying at the school or college you ordered it from. And the school or college must be signed up to the program.

Jiggles
05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Can i just warn you that the Microsoft HUP (Home User Program) is only licensed while you are working or studying at the school or college you ordered it from. And the school or college must be signed up to the program.

Thats the only places where it will be used. :D The £30 on my tower PC and my £50 pre order for my Laptop! :D

JAMdisco
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I won't be upgrading from my Vista OS.

I can't believe Vista has had so much bad press since it's launch! Ok there may have been a few 'bugs' initially and some software wouldn't run on it, but I have never had any issues with it on my laptop and all the software I use has worked perfectly with no glitches whatsoever.

I also use it on my work laptop and again, had no major problems, just a couple of newer software versions have been required.

The old adage of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' springs to mind :p :D

ultrasound disco
28-10-2009, 11:00 PM
is it worth upgrading from vista?

what are the benifits?

steve
Is it worth updating TO Vista :p

DeckstarDeluxe
29-10-2009, 01:20 AM
I won't be upgrading from my Vista OS.

I can't believe Vista has had so much bad press since it's launch! Ok there may have been a few 'bugs' initially and some software wouldn't run on it, but I have never had any issues with it on my laptop and all the software I use has worked perfectly with no glitches whatsoever.

I also use it on my work laptop and again, had no major problems, just a couple of newer software versions have been required.

The old adage of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' springs to mind :p :D

I havent had the computer crash once with vista on here and thats been nearly 18 months used every day for a minimum of 3 hours. I wont be upgrading.

CRAZY K
29-10-2009, 08:06 AM
I've been using Window 7 for around a month now and must say its miles better than Vista.

I really wish I had stuck with XP.

AAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!!!

My Computer man (who has been testing 7) reckons 7 is a big improvement.

CRAZY K

discomobiledj
29-10-2009, 08:26 AM
7 is fantastic. So much more streamlined and quicker at loading everything.

Marc J
29-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Heres a tip: For anyone wanting to upgrade, Home is more than enough. All the others aren't really worth it unless you working a HUGE corporation and such or wishing to join a domain.

I'll be dual-booting my main PC with Windows 7 / Windows XP soon. And I'll be ordering Windows 7 Professional for it's "Windows XP Mode"...http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

At the same time I'll be adding one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149435) so W7 should run fairly fast :)

Jiggles
29-10-2009, 09:11 AM
At the same time I'll be adding one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149435) so W7 should run fairly fast :)

Ever thought about SSD? Im going to have the OS on the SSD then all my docs and such on my Samsung F1. OS will be fast while the huge capacity of the normal drive.

djdave01
29-10-2009, 09:17 AM
ive got 3 computers, all still running xp. My gig machines never screwed up since i got it 18 months ago.

Our home pc is about to be replaced so i'll probably get windows 7 on the new one, but i'll be leaving the gig pc as it is.

Marc J
29-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Ever thought about SSD? Im going to have the OS on the SSD then all my docs and such on my Samsung F1. OS will be fast while the huge capacity of the normal drive.

Hmmm....imho SSD's are prohibitively expensive for now. 32Gb isn't enough and even they are over £300, with 256Gb almost £500 (+VAT). I thought about replacing my laptop HD with an SSD as I don't do much on that.

All I have in my PC is my OS drive, everything else is networked to a 2Tb RAID array NAS :)

Talking of SSD's, check this out! YouTube - Samsung SSD Awesomeness

Jiggles
29-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Hmmm....imho SSD's are prohibitively expensive for now. 32Gb isn't enough and even they are over £300, with 256Gb almost £500 (+VAT). I thought about replacing my laptop HD with an SSD as I don't do much on that.

All I have in my PC is my OS drive, everything else is networked to a 2Tb RAID array NAS :)

Talking of SSD's, check this out! YouTube - Samsung SSD Awesomeness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs)

Getting one of these: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Hard+Drives/Solid+State/64GB+Crucial+M225+2.5%22+Solid-State+Drive+?productId=37547
As someone recommend them to me as one of the best that you can get for the price and such.

Marc J
29-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Getting one of these: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Hard+Drives/Solid+State/64GB+Crucial+M225+2.5%22+Solid-State+Drive+?productId=37547
As someone recommend them to me as one of the best that you can get for the price and such.

Good find, although the drive I originally linked to (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149435) is 50% faster than that (200Mb/s vs 300Mb/s) with almost 5 times the capacity for only £30 more!

Jiggles
29-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Benches show that an SSD is 100x faster at random reads. Thus the 100Mb/s isn't much or a problem.

e.g. 10 Small files to be loaded. SSD could do it in 1ms, HDD would do it in a second.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2009, 09:40 AM
....and back on topic.

Windows 7.

Marc J
29-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Benches show that an SSD is 100x faster at random reads. Thus the 100Mb/s isn't much or a problem.

e.g. 10 Small files to be loaded. SSD could do it in 1ms, HDD would do it in a second.

WD VelociRaptor 300GB HDD vs SSD (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/08/review_wd_velociraptor_hdd/page3.html) - 0.4 vs 7 is hardly 100x faster! (The HDD beats the SSD on a lot of tests, too.)

....and back on topic.

Windows 7.

Sorry! I think it looks good, although won't be rushing out to buy any touch screens. I hate people touching my screens at is it, never mind actually doing it myself to work the damn thing!

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Sorry! I think it looks good, although won't be rushing out to buy any touch screens. I hate people touching my screens at is it, never mind actually doing it myself to work the damn thing!

I have a touch screen PC and don't like people touching it! Bit pointless really. :o

Shaun
29-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Show off! :D

Gareth
29-10-2009, 10:51 AM
See for me I will be leaving vista on my laptop which I use for all my lighting stuff (DMX Consoles) where as the computer that I run Virtual DJ from I will definatly consider upgrading to W7 on the basis the Hercules bring new drivers out ASAP. I remember when I upgraded to Vista (the day it came out) only to find that compatibility with Hercules products was non-existant!

Gareth

Twinspin
09-11-2009, 06:18 PM

Hit the Nail On The Head there Callum

At the time i was thinking of getting the ultimate version of Windows 7 with me previously having Vista Ultimate. But i didnt bother i paid £84.00 and got the OEM Windows 7 disc for home premium to put on my desktop

Nice price. Im not complaining home premium does everything i want it to do
been running it for over a week now on my home machine. Its a very good operating system.

My desktop didnt run that good on Vista Ultimate, Neither did my laptop on Vista Home Premium. They have a good dual core processor inside of both of them and they have both have 4gb ram.

Put it on the netbook i have as well only 1gb ram in that and it runs fine on that.

On Windows 7 they run superfast both of them. Windows 7 Rocks. Anyone looking into an upgrade id highly recommend it.

I got a free upgrade to Windows 7 when i bought my laptop.

yourdj
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Get a mac and you can run windows and mac programs at the same time :D

You have a more stable machine that will last longer (than most) and it wont get any viruses.

:richie:

:sofa:

Marc J
09-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Heres a tip: For anyone wanting to upgrade, Home is more than enough. All the others aren't really worth it unless you working a HUGE corporation and such or wishing to join a domain.Hit the Nail On The Head there Callum

Don't forget about Windows XP mode, it needs a little more RAM but might get you out of a tight spot with software made for XP...if you think you might use it then you'll need Windows 7 Professional.

djsteve10
15-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I have had to go back to Windows XP due to Martin Light Jockey not wanting to run on Vista!

DiscoTed
15-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Don't forget about Windows XP mode, it needs a little more RAM but might get you out of a tight spot with software made for XP...if you think you might use it then you'll need Windows 7 Professional.

xp mode what aload of :Censored: If you want xp stay with xp :D

Marc J
16-11-2009, 09:57 AM
xp mode what aload of :Censored: If you want xp stay with xp :D

And if you want to upgrade to Windows 7 with backwards compatabilty for your XP software, get Windows 7 professional! :bang: :bang:

DiscoTed
16-11-2009, 10:04 AM
And if you want to upgrade to Windows 7 with backwards compatabilty for your XP software, get Windows 7 professional! :bang: :bang:

Yeah but uses an addtional 1gb of ram :D

Penfold42
17-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I've got Windows 7 at home.....:cool:

Love it although i'm still trying to get my head around it. :o

Marc J
17-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I just ordered Windows 7 Professional (along with the hard drive I linked to earlier) :)

Went with the 64 Bit version to get more RAM recognised, too...just have to go buy more RAM now :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2009, 12:17 PM
....I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Marc J
17-11-2009, 12:26 PM
RAM upgrade is going to cost me £180 :(

But worse than that, discovering that the RAM I put in 2 years ago which cost me £370 at the time is now worth....almost £40 :eek:

DiscoTed
18-11-2009, 01:48 PM

But worse than that, discovering that the RAM I put in 2 years ago which cost me £370 at the time is now worth....almost £40 :eek:

:mad:

Gareth
18-11-2009, 01:56 PM

How much RAM and what speeds are you looking for? I am a bit of a computer freak and check some prices out for you if you like?!

Gareth

EDIT: Ahhh did I see somewhere on the forums that your a bit of a whizz to??

Marc J
18-11-2009, 02:51 PM
How much RAM and what speeds are you looking for? I am a bit of a computer freak and check some prices out for you if you like?!

Gareth

EDIT: Ahhh did I see somewhere on the forums that your a bit of a whizz to??

Thanks for the offer, but I've got it covered ;)

FYI 8Gb (4 x 2Gb) DDR2 PC2-6400

Jiggles
18-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Can I ask Marc why 4x 2GB and not 2x 4GB? Cost?

Marc J
18-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Can I ask Marc why 4x 2GB and not 2x 4GB? Cost?

No reason, apart from the board is maxed out at 8Gb anyway so no point leaving room for more, and 4 x 2Gb is more readily available (and yes, probably cheaper).

Marc J
15-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Udate: Now have Win 7 Pro 64bit installed on a dual boot with my old XP. It does boot faster, but then the XP install is 3 years old and on a fresh install was probably about the same speed.

Quite glad I managed to completely avoid Vista, although Win 7 looks too much like it! Now I have to change everything to "windows classic" again (I don't even use the XP theme, I've always preferred the classic look).

Will have to install everything onto Win7 before making the switch completely, but it's good to have the dual boot there so I can make a gradual changeover...

The install went as smooth as it possibly could, I didn't have to install any drivers although I did install the nVidia graphics driver to get the nView tweaks. The windows snap (side by side) doesn't work well on dual monitors, though, which is annoying...

Shakermaker Promotions
15-12-2009, 08:44 AM
I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium on sunday. I had Vista Home Premium originally.

What a difference!
Much quicker for starters. I did a custom install which meant that I had to save any important stuff I still wanted to an external HD. The whole install took around 2 hours. I haven't looked into it deeply yet but it certainly looks the nuts to be honest with you. I purchased it from Staples at £68.99 and I had a £10.00 loyalty voucher so even better.

One extra thing - I was told that Windows 7 Home Premium would be more than enough after I asked about the other versions. You can purchase Home Premium that will upgrade 3 x PC's for around £150.00.

Twinspin
15-12-2009, 10:33 AM
You can run XP on any machine even with windows 7 installed. I dont mean as a dual boot either.

I use some software on my computer called VMWare what this is.... is an emulator in which you can install another OS. It does not affect your system.
when you install it.... The operating systems you install all the files for that OS are put in a folder in my documents called virtual machines

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/Twinspindj/vmware1.jpg

XP itself

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/Twinspindj/vmware2.jpg

where you can see the ram you can assign so much ram for a Virtual machine to use when powered on... or even set the hardisk space all you do is double click on each... ive double clicked on the ram as an example

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/Twinspindj/vmware3.jpg

XP Booting Up

You can install any software inside a virtual machine and it all works fine. You can connect and use hardisks inside it and even get on the internet but you need to get the xp drivers of course.

The vmware is very good and is third party software but i use this to emulate Server 2003 and practice things.

Booche
15-12-2009, 10:59 AM
switching from xp to windows 7 ultimate on my "disco" pc as i got a huge discount from were i used to work ( major pc shop that no-one likes lol ) will see how i go :)

Marc J
15-12-2009, 04:05 PM
You can run XP on any machine even with windows 7 installed. I dont mean as a dual boot either.

I'm aware of the Virtual Machine option, I'd rather have the dual boot though. I have it set up so that each OS can only see it's own hard drive so are completely independent of each other. Since all other data is on a NAS drive there's no need for WinXP to see the Win7 drive and vice versa.

smashentertainments
01-02-2010, 02:34 PM
For my home pc i have a Dell XPS 400 which previously had vista installed i upgraded to windows 7 and have had nothing but trouble. Sometimes it wont even read hard drive data. Mac is the way forward but software for mac lets that idea down. XP all the way

discomobiledj
01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Been using W7 since release and not had one problem. I did do a clean install rather than just upgrading.