PDA

View Full Version : Items For Sale

ppentertainments
11-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Could it be made compulsary for sellers to put an asking price when selling goods ???

I hate to 'make an offer' as sometimes the seller takes the offer as being insulting.

Also I know of quite a few sales which do not go through, and sometimes think it is a matter of the seller 'trying his luck'. A over the top offer, and they will sell, otherwise keep them.

ordinarily I would not mention this, but nearly every For Sale post seems to be missing an expected price.

Might also just be my opinion which no-one agrees with :D :D

Excalibur
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Could it be made compulsary for sellers to put an asking price when selling goods ???

I hate to 'make an offer' as sometimes the seller takes the offer as being insulting.

Also I know of quite a few sales which do not go through, and sometimes think it is a matter of the seller 'trying his luck'. A over the top offer, and they will sell, otherwise keep them.

ordinarily I would not mention this, but nearly every For Sale post seems to be missing an expected price.

Might also just be my opinion which no-one agrees with :D :D

I have much in common with this post. ;) I usually make offers on gear by PM, so that there isn't a public exhibition of bargaining, which can be a tad unedifying.

Unless of course, I'm dealing with Penmare, in which case making derisory and insulting offers is the onject of the exercise. :D

Tom
11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Maybe have a price on the original post then have ono which is where a potential seller can then PM and make an offer?

Vectis
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I like the seller to state expectations, so I don't waste my time and theirs.

I tend not to make offers on listings where the seller hasn't put a guide.

Their loss.

BeerFunk
11-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree - if you want to sell something, be straight down the line about it. If you're unsure what it's worth, research it on ebay (you can do a completed items search), or be honest and say that you're not sure what it's worth, but you'd like a minimum of £XXX.

There seems to be more equipment bought and sold on the forums than ever these days, and yet when the free auction site was running as part of this site, hardly anyone listed anything.

DJ Jules
12-10-2009, 06:44 AM
I agree - if you want to sell something, be straight down the line about it. If you're unsure what it's worth, research it on ebay (you can do a completed items search), or be honest and say that you're not sure what it's worth, but you'd like a minimum of £XXX.

There seems to be more equipment bought and sold on the forums than ever these days, and yet when the free auction site was running as part of this site, hardly anyone listed anything.

Did the Free auction site have a "Buy it now or best offer" feature? With me being impatient, that's my favourite format for selling and buying these days ;)

Julian

Dynamic Entertainment
12-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I agree a guide price would be a good idea. Im often put off when theres no price listed and all sorts of public offers turned down.

sted
12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
ok i think this post is aimed at me really as i have a few things for sale!

I have now put offer + in each post the reason i didnt put asking price as i really didnt know what things were worth

sorry have now changed my posts

ppentertainments
12-10-2009, 09:41 AM

I have now put offer + in each post the reason i didnt put asking price as i really didnt know what things were worth

Apologies Sted if you think this was aimed at yourself. In no way was I aiming at any individual, rather than the selling in general :)

From the other posts I think the idea of including an expected price would also aid in selling items and hopefully help benefit all involved.

DeckstarDeluxe
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM

In all fairness Sted its been happeaning quite a bit lately. I think people just want to know what sort of ball park price your looking at so not to waste yours and their time. I think yours might of been the straw that broke the horses back.

sted
12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
sorry again

won't happen again.

Steve the DJ
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
My tuppence worth...

That's their fault for inviting offers, if you don't have a firm figure in mind you have to accept that people will be "cheeky" or may just have a very different valuation to what you expect.

Their loss.

Or possibly yours if they were prepared to let the item go for a song. :shrug:

My recent experiences show me that eBay is not always a fair indication of value in the current market.

I have tried to sell items in excellent condition at below the average eBay figure with zero success.

Looking at "best offers" seems the only sensible way forward with some items at the moment.

A sign of the economic times perhaps? It is certainly driving the prices of second hand "China specials" through the floor, although quality kit is holding up nicely IMHO.

Shaun
13-10-2009, 06:35 PM
A sign of the economic times perhaps? It is certainly driving the prices of second hand "China specials" through the floor, although quality kit is holding up nicely IMHO.

No, I don't think it's that. 3 days after DJ Bids ceased, the for sale section was booming again.

It's like everything we try do to improve the site, lots of folks talking the talk with promises of involvement, but when it comes down to it only a few really back it up with actions. It's disheartning.

------------------------------------------

Re: the original post. Look out for some changes soon.

Corabar Entertainment
13-10-2009, 07:18 PM
It's disheartning.
:agree:

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-10-2009, 07:20 PM
:agree:

And me.

Just look at the offers of help we had for the venue database before it was on here and how many people actually did help when the new site was published.

wensleydale
13-10-2009, 07:46 PM
No, I don't think it's that. 3 days after DJ Bids ceased, the for sale section was booming again.

It's like everything we try do to improve the site, lots of folks talking the talk with promises of involvement, but when it comes down to it only a few really back it up with actions. It's disheartning.

Off topic I know but my main reason for never using DJ Bids was that it had a much smaller audience than ebay and was really trying to do something that ebay was already doing, and doing well.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Off topic I know but my main reason for never using DJ Bids was that it had a much smaller audience than ebay and was really trying to do something that ebay was already doing, and doing well.

Ebay had to start somewhere.

It is very disheartening when people get great use from this site and yet don't ever seem to want to support it to help it grow.

Corabar Entertainment
13-10-2009, 07:58 PM
...and I would also mention that DJ Bids was brought in because quite a few members were saying that the forum was turning into a buying and selling site, but people couldn't be bothered to list on DJ bids whereas they did on the forum

DeckstarDeluxe
13-10-2009, 08:02 PM
well you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes though guys. I mean Im very gratful for the site and its improved my djing abit but more so the rest of the things that are required to run a mobile disco company.

I know its easier saying it than doing it but dont let it get you down too much.

Could always run a small competition for the forum members?? free pat and pli upload for the most submissions per area???

ppentertainments
13-10-2009, 08:07 PM
well you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes though guys. I mean Im very gratful for the site and its improved my djing abit but more so the rest of the things that are required to run a mobile disco company.

I know its easier saying it than doing it but dont let it get you down too much.

Could always run a small competition for the forum members?? free pat and pli upload for the most submissions per area???

And cover the forum with more cr....... i mean rubbish.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I know what you mean but you can always state that each one is reviewed and incomplete or "rubbish" ones are removed and not counted??

wensleydale
13-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Ebay had to start somewhere.

It is very disheartening when people get great use from this site and yet don't ever seem to want to support it to help it grow.

I appreciate that but at the same time didnt really see what DJ Bids offered that was different- if anything the smaller audience put it at a disadvantage.

I was about to say I am happy to support the forum but then I thought that actually, I might not be as I might view "support" in a different way to you- in my experience of other forums they need to pay for themselves through advertising to be a long term proposition- many others I view regularly have a lot more commercial sponsorship which obviously generates a fair bit of income.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I might view "support" in a different way to you- in my experience of other forums they need to pay for themselves through advertising to be a long term proposition- many others I view regularly have a lot more commercial sponsorship which obviously generates a fair bit of income.

Out of interest, how do you think you support the forum then?

wensleydale
13-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Out of interest, how do you think you support the forum then?

I use it. It's therefore a more popular site, and therefore attracts more hits which should in turn attract more advertising revenue.

As I said in the last post I didnt type "I am happy to support" as if you mean "am I happy to pay" then the answer is no.
I never said I would use DJ Bids in the same way I never said I would enter details for the venue database.

On a more positive note and trying to contribute/support in some way I was thinking about my last comment re the lack of commercial sponsorship- this forum has probably hundreds of members who spend a lot of money each year- 2 areas they spend an awful lot on are music and disco equipment.
What about if there was some kind of referral scheme agreed with big retailers (Thomann, HMV) or even small ones (Phase One etc) whereby there is a link people can click through and the forum gets a referral fee of 1-2%?
Similar to Quidco, although to get my "click" it would need to be retailers not on Quidco.

Other forums I know have much more commercial advertising which I believe generates a decent amount of revenue (certainly enough to fund the runnnig).

The other issue from my perspective that I am always unsure about is what the owners of the forum are trying to do with it- whether its a money making venture or simply a forum- IMO the 2 things are very different.

NKR
13-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I love forum!

Shaun
14-10-2009, 01:41 AM
We've listened and taken on board the comments made about selling on the forum (and the past discussions regarding ebay links). There's a few new restrictions in place. These can be viewed in the 'For Sale' forum section.

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 08:25 AM
We've listened and taken on board the comments made about selling on the forum (and the past discussions regarding ebay links). There's a few new restrictions in place. These can be viewed in the 'For Sale' forum section.

Oh well, I will be offering nothing further for sale through MDD, cest la vie. :shrug:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 08:27 AM
And ignored mine, it's just like being at home... :evelgrin:

Oh well, I will be offering nothing further for sale through MDD, cest la vie. :shrug:

....not that that's any real loss to us, but why not?

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 08:45 AM
....not that that's any real loss to us, but why not?

You will miss me when I'm gone... :D

For the reasons I gave when you asked everyone's opinion, I believe it is up to the seller to choose how best to try and sell their product. Placing onerous restrictions on how people sell just makes them go and sell it elsewhere*. Just ask eBay.

I believe this will lead to a reduction in the items being offered to forum members. Whether that is deemed good or bad in the long term is another thing.

What I find annoying is lots of people on here seem to expect some form of preferential treatment just because they are a member, whereas I believe everyone is entitled to do whatever they deem necessary to achieve the best price possible, especially in these harsh economic times.

*Although I accept some restrictions such as minimum number of posts are sensible.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 08:53 AM
For the reasons I gave when you asked everyone's opinion, I believe it is up to the seller to choose how best to try and sell their product. Placing onerous restrictions on how people sell just makes them go and sell it elsewhere*. Just ask eBay.

I don't really care if people don't sell anything on here ever again. It's free advertising and doesn't affect us in the slightest.

I really can't see how asking people for an approximate price and waiting 7 days until they put it on Ebay is a restriction though?

BeerFunk
14-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I believe this will lead to a reduction in the items being offered to forum members.If they're posted on ebay, they're not being offered to ebay members, are they? All the seller is doing in that case, is advertising their auction for free. At least if the item is offered here for a week first, forum members have first offer, and therefore it is beneficial to everyone.

You have to think about the benefits to all forum members, not just the seller.

*Although I accept some restrictions such as minimum number of posts are sensible.Seeing as that's the only other restriction, that's fair enough isn't it?

Cj_The_Dj
14-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I will post here rather than start a new thread. i think people should be able to get band from selling if 3 bad sales happen. like getting broken items or riped off some how?

(sorry didnt know how to word it.)

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I will post here rather than start a new thread. i think people should be able to get band from selling if 3 bad sales happen. like getting broken items or riped off some how?

Please read the rules on selling. If you buy and sell on here it is at your own risk. The owners of this forum take no responsibility for items bought or sold.

Vectis
14-10-2009, 09:08 AM

But then you're into the whole reputation & feedback thing, which then leads on to a more structured method of handling sales, ie DJ Bids, which folks didn't use - I suspect due to the complexity of the system compared to a simple free-text posting on a forum.

As a longish-term member of the forum, I can only recall a very small number of 'incidents'. Perhaps there are more, but they weren't made public at the time.

As a regular visitor to the site, I know who I would trust and I know who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, no matter how enticing the deal :o

At the end of the day, it's caveat emptor.

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't really care if people don't sell anything on here ever again. It's free advertising and doesn't affect us in the slightest.

Get rid of selling altogether if doesn't affect you in the slightest, which of course you won't because it is a member benefit.

I really can't see how asking people for an approximate price and waiting 7 days until they put it on Ebay is a restriction though?

Asking for an approximate price isn't a restriction but why should I wait another week to sell an item just because some members think they deserve to have a look first?

What about the members of the other forums I belong to?

I don't know about others but if I decide to sell an item it is usually to raise funds for an alternative purchase, therefore I need to do the deal as quick as possible. Adding a further 7 days isn't an option.

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 09:16 AM
If they're posted on ebay, they're not being offered to ebay members, are they? All the seller is doing in that case, is advertising their auction for free. At least if the item is offered here for a week first, forum members have first offer, and therefore it is beneficial to everyone.

How is narrowing down my potential number of customers for a week beneficial to anyone but you?

Why do you deserve this special treatment?

You have to think about the benefits to all forum members, not just the seller.

But only on this forum and for your benefit eh?

Vectis
14-10-2009, 09:18 AM
What about the members of the other forums I belong to?

I think only eBay auctions fall into the 7-day rule ;)

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 09:27 AM
I think only eBay auctions fall into the 7-day rule ;)

And I explained why I like to use eBay for some protection in this thread (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21221&highlight=ebay) discussing banning it.

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Seeing as that's the only other restriction, that's fair enough isn't it?

Except it isn't, is it?

DeckstarDeluxe
14-10-2009, 09:33 AM
in all fairness its free guys so why on earth are people complaining about it?

Your never going to keep everyone happy, Im sure the powers that be are able to keep an eye on how it goes and if it doesnt work they'll be looking to change it again.

Corabar Entertainment
14-10-2009, 09:36 AM
No matter what we do, we are never going to please everyone, but we do try and listen to what members ask for and implement things where possible..... which is what we've done in this instance.

Shaun
14-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know about others but if I decide to sell an item it is usually to raise funds for an alternative purchase, therefore I need to do the deal as quick as possible. Adding a further 7 days isn't an option.

To be honest that's not our problem. If people wish to use our forum as an outlet to sell their item then we believe the item should be offered to our members first and foremost. We've compromised with allowing ebay links to be posted after a 7 day period.

If anyone still thinks it's not fair then that's just tough (to put it bluntly), It's no loss to us if they decide not use the forum as a source of free advertising.

:beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Asking for an approximate price isn't a restriction but why should I wait another week to sell an item just because some members think they deserve to have a look first?

Don't wait a week then, put it straight on Ebay. The service here is free,, but all we ask is 7 days before linking to Ebay.

Then put it straight on Ebay.

Simple.

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 09:47 AM
If anyone still thinks it's not fair then that's just tough (to put it bluntly), It's no loss to us if they decide not use the forum as a source of free advertising.

You are just creating silly rules to please a minority IMHO, but you have to do what you feel is best, as will I.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 09:49 AM
You are just creating silly rules to please a minority IMHO, but you have to do what you feel is best, as will I.

Sorry Steve, but you are starting to get out of order now.

These aren't 'silly rules'. They are rules that have been asked for, thought about and discussed.

Steve the DJ
14-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Then put it straight on Ebay.

Simple.

Then your membership misses out on an item that one of them may have wanted because the auction will finish before it gets advertised here. :daft:

Madness to me but there you go, your choice. :shrug:

I think I've made my point and will leave it there.

Literally.

Corabar Entertainment
14-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Then your membership misses out on an item that one of them may have wanted because the auction will finish before it gets advertised here. :daft: It won't get advertised here at all in that case, but members are still free to browse ebay.... the same as everyone else does.

DJ James Lake
14-10-2009, 10:07 AM
How about offering a discount to members on an ebay listings for a direct deal, which would save on final value fees and benefit both parties.

That way members could still post links to items on ebay, but members would benefit immediately from the extra exposure.

Shaun
14-10-2009, 10:15 AM
How about offering a discount to members on an ebay listings for a direct deal, which would save on final value fees and benefit both parties.

That way members could still post links to items on ebay, but members would benefit immediately from the extra exposure.

There's been several threads over the last few months in regards to selling on the forum, and the new structure has been implemented in response to points raised by our members. We're not looking for alternatives at this point. The new structure is in place and is final.

DJ James Lake
14-10-2009, 10:18 AM
No problem was just offering a suggestion which I thought might be an advantageous alternative and benefit all :sofa: