PDA

View Full Version : New mixer time!

Cj_The_Dj
14-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi guys.

I have had my equipment PAT tested. And only one item failed. Witch was my main mixer so now I’m on to the back up. The mixer in question is http://www.musicallyyoursdj.com/images/Equipment/Numark-Mixer.jpg .... So now I’m in the look for a new mixer with a similar spec new or second hand is good. I have a budget of around £100 - £150 most. I would love a second hand dnx500 all suggestion would be great.

I need 2 mic inputs. and 2 master outs.

thanks for all your help.

Vectis
14-10-2009, 08:57 AM
The Numark probably failed because it's not got the double-insulation symbol on it, even though it's double-insulated :bang:

This was a common issue about 3 years ago with the CMx00 range - get it checked out. They're good little mixers, worth having it looked at again.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Waiit, don' buy anything.

I had problems with Numark mixers passing too.

There is a reason, which I can't remember, why they don't pass. (Something to do with the class level?)

Bring on the techies!

Cj_The_Dj
14-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Waiit, don' buy anything.

I had problems with Numark mixers passing too.

There is a reason, which I can't remember, why they don't pass. (Something to do with the class level?)

Bring on the techies!

thanks guys.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-10-2009, 09:04 AM
The Numark probably failed because it's not got the double-insulation symbol on it, even though it's double-insulated :bang:

That's it!

Cj_The_Dj
14-10-2009, 09:07 AM
What do i do? and how can I get one item pat tested?? also when using this mixer i get a buzz though the speakers?

Vectis
14-10-2009, 09:12 AM
What do i do? and how can I get one item pat tested?? also when using this mixer i get a buzz though the speakers?

Tell the PAT tester what I just posted above. He should open up the unit, double-check what I said, probably whack a sticker on the back to this effect, and pass it.

Cj_The_Dj
14-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Tell the PAT tester what I just posted above. He should open up the unit, double-check what I said, probably whack a sticker on the back to this effect, and pass it.

will i have to pay a call out charge etc.

Vectis
14-10-2009, 09:20 AM
will i have to pay a call out charge etc.

No idea.

For one item I'd be tempted to find a local repair shop that does PATs and take it down there.

Given the known history for this product, the fact that it IS double-insulated, and given that it's very much a DJ-facing item, you might just let this one go until next year. Your call, of course. I couldn't possibly advocate such a thing ;)

Larry B Entertainment
14-10-2009, 12:04 PM

This was a common issue about 3 years ago with the CMx00 range - get it checked out. They're good little mixers, worth having it looked at again.

But surely when the pat tester took the plug part to check the fuse rating and check the wiring, he would have seen that there was no earth lead on the terminal :eek:
I do PAT testing at work and when things fail, I normally double check they arent class 2.

NKR
14-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I would love a second hand dnx500 all suggestion would be great.

Although it looks like you don't need a new mixer a second hand DNx500 is going to set you back at least £250 notes. I was chasing one for donkeys and eventually got an x900 but with no change out of £250 (which in itself was a bargain). Lots kept going for £280 to £300 and above on ebay. Popular piece of kit.

A1DL
14-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Numark use an IEC320 3 pin inlet, the mixer will be class 2 however I recently learned that the earth is used for EMC/RFI filtering and as such the manufacturer cannot place the class II symbol on the chassis.

Excalibur
14-10-2009, 12:55 PM
But surely when the pat tester took the plug part to check the fuse rating and check the wiring, he would have seen that there was no earth lead on the terminal :eek:
I do PAT testing at work and when things fail, I normally double check they arent class 2.

I too have seen this posted. I think it has three cable input as normal, but is double insulated internally, so the earth is redundant. Somewhere there's bound to be an article about it.

I too couldn't possibly suggest doing what Vectis didn't recommend either. either. Cough cough, nudge nudge, wink wink. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Cj_The_Dj
15-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Although it looks like you don't need a new mixer a second hand DNx500 is going to set you back at least £250 notes. I was chasing one for donkeys and eventually got an x900 but with no change out of £250 (which in itself was a bargain). Lots kept going for £280 to £300 and above on ebay. Popular piece of kit.

I saw one go on another forum for 150.00 missed out :( a bit back.

NKR
15-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I saw one go on another forum for 150.00 missed out :( a bit back.

But how much batter had it taken? You can pick up a whole range of second hand Denon kit that has taken a real battering. I would still budget around£250 for a good second hand one that has not been abused.

DJNutter
15-10-2009, 10:38 AM
also when using this mixer i get a buzz though the speakers?
Is the buzz at home ? or when you are at venues too ?
If it's at home only then it would most likely be grounding problem. I would imagine your getting a feedback loop.

Buildings like hotels have better grounding and you should find no buzz.

Try to avoid a 'loop' in your wiring - I have a slight buzz at home but can get rid of it by using different main sockets for amp and mixer via extension lead.

Nutter

Cj_The_Dj
15-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Is the buzz at home ? or when you are at venues too ?
If it's at home only then it would most likely be grounding problem. I would imagine your getting a feedback loop.

Buildings like hotels have better grounding and you should find no buzz.

Try to avoid a 'loop' in your wiring - I have a slight buzz at home but can get rid of it by using different main sockets for amp and mixer via extension lead.

Nutter

it buzz even at gigs.

MagicMusic
15-10-2009, 08:32 PM
If your buying a new mixer i reckon you could do a lot worse than this (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR237519) from Vestax.

I've always found their equipment to be really well built and heavy duty.

Shakermaker Promotions
15-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I use the same mixer that CJ posted a picture of simply because it fits in my flightcase and I have NEVER had a problem with it at all and it has also passed it's PAT tests for the past 2 years.