PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, Useable Software that isnt a drain on system resources

Dynamic Entertainment
14-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Im looking for some software that i can keep on a backup machine.

As most of you know, im using a mix of Serato and CDs, but now i have a back-up lappy im considering going fully digital.

Ideally i would have liked to get a back up lappy that has the same specs as my main one, and that way i could have put Serato on it and have done with, but coudnt stretch to such a high spec right now. So i got a second hand lappy, with lower specs (its still running at 1.99ghz and 2gb ram with xp os mind). Ideally im looking at some software that has twin players and mixer (crossfader) that i can plig into one chanel on my mixer, and is back-up if either my main lappy dies, or my Serato box plays up (never known it happen, but you never know).

So....and ideas on a program that will do as i ask without costing the earth?

Vectis
14-10-2009, 03:15 PM
OTS turntables

Perfectamundo!

Dynamic Entertainment
14-10-2009, 04:21 PM
OTS turntables

Perfectamundo!

Just had a play with it, and it would be perfect if it wernt for the fact you have to search through all my folders for each track. It would defo get me out of a tight spot though....if XP had Vistas search powers it would be 110% perfect :)

Vectis
14-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Just had a play with it, and it would be perfect if it wernt for the fact you have to search through all my folders for each track. It would defo get me out of a tight spot though....if XP had Vistas search powers it would be 110% perfect :)

I have a folder with about 200 party favourites stored on the internal HDD of my backup lappie - with a copy of Turntables Silver.

You only need to worry about more tunes if you're looking at a serious outage, in which case drag & drop a whole bunch of stuff into the playlist and then promote as necessary, using it like a crate function.

For £30 you won't beat it. Mine runs perfectly on a Pentium II lappie with XP SP2 and 256MB RAM :o

Cj_The_Dj
19-10-2009, 11:40 AM
PCDJ red.

huma
19-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I know its not what you want but have you considered mixmesiter express? Its like $50 or something like that and great as a back up. Plus you can do some pretty amazing mixes with it once you learn it properly.

cosmicdiscos
12-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Sam Party DJ from Spacial Audio. i've been using it for 3 years. cost me about £50 for the license from their website.
Excellent bit of kit....never missed a beat (i'll get me coat....)

Steve the DJ
12-04-2010, 08:06 AM
OTS turntables

Perfectamundo!

+1

Ots Turntables Silver is a steal at £30ish and ideal for back up to a main system or any background music application, plus it will run on the oldest lappy you have without so much as a burp. ;)

scoopd
12-04-2010, 08:39 AM
PCDJ red.

Personally I would never use PCDJ red as a back up as I had nothing but hassle from it.OTS is rock solid for me:)

yourdj
12-04-2010, 09:42 AM
OTS turntables

Perfectamundo!

What about mac software?

Steve the DJ
12-04-2010, 09:55 AM
What about mac software?

What about it?

Megamix
12-04-2010, 11:09 AM
What about mac software?

I use DJay 3.1 (http://www.djay-software.com/) by Algoriddim - suits me perfectly and is a snip at $49

yourdj
12-04-2010, 11:38 AM
What about it?

:confused: Is there software for mac that does not drain resources.
I was wondering for my uses. the one vectis recommended is only for pc.

I will have a look at DJ 3.1 now.

yourdj
12-04-2010, 12:06 PM
that is a fantastic piece of software :eek:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/djay-multitouch-mac.jpg

The best thing is it runs from a simple itunes playlist :)

I would be more than happy doing a whole set in that and that says allot. The auto mix facitlity is brilliant :)

I usually use itunes for background sets on a 12 second delay but im definitely buying this as it crosfades up to 15 seconds and matches the beat too. I think you could line up a play list and do a whole set without touching the laptop!!

This is the end for us DJ's!

Im going to put a play list on auto and record it so i have a whole two hours mixed back up as one track incase of a complete disaster i can run off my Ipod. :p

Megamix
12-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I would be more than happy doing a whole set in that and that says allot. The auto mix facitlity is brilliant

Have been using DJay for over a year live and have found it extremely stable. I use the automix as insurance when nipping to the toilet!

Booche
12-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Shame that Dj 3.1 is just for macs as it looks a decent peice of software :(

yourdj
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Have been using DJay for over a year live and have found it extremely stable. I use the automix as insurance when nipping to the toilet!

Shame that Dj 3.1 is just for macs as it looks a decent peice of software :(

I might ditch serato itch and go for that instead :p - Honestly if they had a better cuing system and you could see the wave forms then that would be great.

Bought a copy and will probably use it when doing background sets and of course back up. I also have a dual ipod player as a last resort as its standalone - but this software is more than capable for the average wedding or even an 18th!

simonp
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
that is a fantastic piece of software :eek:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/djay-multitouch-mac.jpg

The best thing is it runs from a simple itunes playlist :)

I would be more than happy doing a whole set in that and that says allot. The auto mix facitlity is brilliant :)

I usually use itunes for background sets on a 12 second delay but im definitely buying this as it crosfades up to 15 seconds and matches the beat too. I think you could line up a play list and do a whole set without touching the laptop!!

This is the end for us DJ's!

Im going to put a play list on auto and record it so i have a whole two hours mixed back up as one track incase of a complete disaster i can run off my Ipod. :p

Is the software compatable to certain controllers, if not is it mappable?

yourdj
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Don't know that - possibly?

Vectis uses a touch screen for his pc version. that would do the trick if ipad sort out some better software. :)

I just set up a party playlist pressed record and it has recorded an hour of OK mixed music that no punter unless a good DJ would notice the difference.

that is perfect back up if i have to nip to the trailer for something and fannny around a bit. or if my laptop goes down :attn:

Megamix
12-04-2010, 06:08 PM

They have just brought out the Vestax Spin (UK release very recently) that matches it precisely, i.e. made for it - but others map over to it to a lesser extent - I bought one of those before the Spin came out but in the end I prefer to use the laptop.

yourdj
15-04-2010, 05:00 PM
They have just brought out the Vestax Spin (UK release very recently) that matches it precisely, i.e. made for it - but others map over to it to a lesser extent - I bought one of those before the Spin came out but in the end I prefer to use the laptop.

OMG!

The DJAY 3.5 WORKS PERFECTLY ON THE VESTAX :eek:

I just turned it on and could not believe my eyes.

every function controls everything.

The good thing is when you unplug the vestax you still have 2 decks :D

simonp
15-04-2010, 07:13 PM
OMG!

The DJAY 3.5 WORKS PERFECTLY ON THE VESTAX :eek:

I just turned it on and could not believe my eyes.

every function controls everything.

The good thing is when you unplug the vestax you still have 2 decks :D

i've just had a look at the specs on the Vestax Spin - it's custom built/mapped so-to-speak so yeah, everything should work perfect. The software itself is very basic but as you said is perfect for a piece of back up gear, especially coupled with the Vestax Spin - And if you buy the Spin outright from some suppliers it comes bundled with DJAY so certainly worth a punt.

I would imagine it'd also be a good entry point for people wanting to start out as a digital DJ and dip their toe in the water.

yourdj
15-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I would imagine it'd also be a good entry point for people wanting to start out as a digital DJ and dip their toe in the water.

Definitely. I would be more than happy djing with this. The navigation of itunes is not as good and you cant see the wave forms etc. But everything else functions OK such as cur points, looping and all. :) you can even navigate the playlists with the middle bit.

It better as you can visually see and control the gains and volume etc. as a visual learner thats very helpful.

For newbies you have the option of the auto mix which is excellent. God there wont be a need for DJ's soon as the computer will read the crowd mix the music and control the lighting. :o

womble
15-04-2010, 07:31 PM
We've been using Djay since we started last summer, never had an issue with it. It's brilliant.

yourdj
15-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I wish i had found this before I bought loads of other stuff.

I have found a problem recording as is stutters sometime.