PDA

View Full Version : Acme Matrix -vs- ImpossibLED

Vectis
16-10-2009, 09:51 AM
This is a comparison review of the Acme Matrix (aka American DJ Revo 4) versus the ubiquitous ImpossibLED.

Physical
=====
The unit is slightly smaller than the ImpossibLED - I've not measured but if you take a couple of centimetres off all external dimensions you're about there. Not a huge difference but every little helps.

The appearance is sleeker - the famous Acme 'black & blue' colourscheme is in use (as in the Dyna* series) rather than all-black as the ImpossibLED.

Round the back everything is pretty much identical - the socketry layout is slightly different and there's a passthru IEC power outlet which might be handy for some folks.

Coverage
======
On the plus side the projected blobs are somewhat sharper than those produced by the ImpossibLED. On the minus side this does make them look even more like LEDs.

I set up the Matrix side-by-side with an ImpossibLED on a T-bar in my living room (not ideal hence no video) and first impressions are that the projection field is slightly narrower. Not a lot, but enough that if you're currently stretching the capabilities of a single ImpossibLED you might need to think about two Matrix's.

Does It Live Up To The Hype?
==================
I first hooked up the Matrix Sound-to-Light only, and was most pleased to see it running through a VERY comprehensive series of patterns as seen in the YouTube vids for the Revo 4.

Sadly, that's where it ends.

Fully expecting to be able to address these patterns in DMX, thus losing the duff ones and exploiting the sexy ones, I was totally disappointed with the available selection of patterns on the pre-programmed sequences and chases. Out of all the possibilities I think I've selected no more than half-a-dozen patterns which I'll actually use regularly.

The S-t-L mode has literally dozens and dozens of patterns - a large majority of these are VERY good indeed, but there are some duffers - and it's a shame that most of the 1-channel and 4-channel DMX mode programs seems to be assigned to the duffers.

Next was a quick foray into 256-channel DMX mode - and this is brilliant! You get full 0-100% fader control over every single LED in the unit - and with an 8*8 matrix of each of 4 colours (256 in total) you can build some pretty stunning effects and patterns - sadly this would take literally DAYS to achieve and requires a dedicated DMX universe in which to do it - something that most mobile jocks simply don't have. Therefore to take advantage of this is no mean feat. I'm sure there are some saddo's out there who will be building sequences as we speak, but it's too much time and effort for me for such a small return.

Finally I plugged in a CA8 and noted that the choice of 12 patterns available was slightly different than the 12 under DMX but again some of them were pretty poor for typical use.

PRACTICAL USE
==========
This is NOT a direct ImpossibLED replacement.

If you intend to run it S-t-L mode then you simply don't get the coverage or level of light output you're used to with the ImpossibLED and it will need some reinforcement such as a pair of LED PARs flooding the floor IF you want to match the ImpossibLED's output.

However some of the S-t-L patterns are excellent, adding lots of movement to the floor that you don't get from the ImpossibLED. Looking closely at the unit when running through the dark sequences it's apparent that some of them have been optimised for use with haze/smoke to give a kind of 'tunnel' or 'dancing beam' effect - sadly the result on the dancefloor is not so impressive.

DMX-heads will be disappointed in the availability of patterns in 4-ch mode, and the lack of faders. An LED is either ON or OFF. Once into the 256-ch mode, you get full control over each lamp.

IF the Matrix had beaten the ImpossibLED to market, everyone would be raving about how cool it is. As it is, the ImpossibLED has set a difficult baseline.

WHO SHOULD INVEST?
==============
If you're looking to get into LED for the first time, the Matrix is a better investment than the ImpossibLED.

If you're already using ImpossibLED(s) then the Matrix will give you a bit more variety on the dancefloor - but it's an either/or situation - they don't work well together on the same patch of ground.

If you're using ImpossibLED(s) as an important ambient light source, some of the Matrix patterns using just a few LEDs at a time are going to present you with voids of darkness. It needs support from other effects unless you tend to play venues that leave the house lights on.

Tonight I'll be using it in anger in a smoky environment so expect a few more words soon.

Pe7e
16-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for a great review :5star:

DJNutter
16-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Awsome review - Not often is my attention kept for so long !

Shaun
16-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Great review.

I'd be interest to know what differences there are between the Revo 4 and the matrix (apart from price).

UltraBeat Entertainment
16-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice review but i won't be changing my ImpossibLED's just yet.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Great review Martin, thank you for sharing and supporting.

Mark Wild
16-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Top review VV as expected

Adam_F
16-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Good review!

As mentioned on another lighting thread running:

"I'm not impressed with it at all. Guess if you've got it rigged 4 metres above the dancefloor it'll give a nice effect, but at normal events, I wouldn't be able to get it high enough".

All I want to do with one now, is spend a few days programming with it, using all 256 LEDs and make a game of Snake :D

Vectis
16-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Well I'm back... and I think I'm going to keep it :) But it'll need a mate, as the coverage just isn't the same as the ImpossibLED unless you stick it on top of a very tall pole :(

Here's a few snippets:

YouTube - ACME Matrix in Sound-to-light mode

Jiggles
16-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Shame it doesn't do something like a VU meter. :D

Paul The Party Dj
17-10-2009, 07:58 AM
See what you mean about a tall pole.
I use a revo three from my goalpost and usually swing it up and down to switch from floor/on the punters to ceiling - would that be an option with this baby?
Can't wait to see a vid when you start playing with the DMX.
Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough.

Adam_F
17-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Here's a few snippets:

That's interesting. The first pattern displayed in there is not one I've seen on the ADJ Revo 4 while it's in sound-to-light. Looks one of the better patterns too. Guess it must be in there somewhere.

Vectis
18-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Well having now used this at an 'adult' gig with a range of styles of music, I'm quite happy with it. I used a pair of LED PAR56's to give the floor a wash either side of the Matrix's coverage area and I definitely prefer it to the Imposs.

With the Imposs I found myself twiddling with the programs all night to find the most appropriate ones for the music of the moment; with the Matrix the Sound to Light mode is very intuitive and I found myself letting it do it's own thing for all but the smoochie dances or when I wanted to alternate the lighting.

It's gone up in my estimations but it'll still need a partner for bigger venues. Luckily a quick glance in the diary shows no massive joints until February.