PDA

View Full Version : Now I need Denon DN-X500 Help!

MFEntertainment
17-10-2009, 10:56 AM
So my problems continue, for those of you that don't know I've been having major problems with my Denon DN HD 2500, it's been stuttering, freezeing and doing alsorts of odd things!

The full thread is here :
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22424

Anyhoo, I was gigging last night and all was going absolutely fine, having followed Denon's advice I thought I had fixed the problem with my 2500. Three hours of background music down and off we go with 2 hours of dancing, I'm about 3 songs in when my 2500 starts playing up, anyway I battled on playing a mixture of CD's and mp3's.

Later on in the night I noticed that my Denon DN-X500 mixer was very very hot, it sits just below my HD2500 in an 8U top / 3U bottom case and I'm now wondering whether that could be causing the 2500 to overheat and go cuckoo! I've done a couple of kids parties recently - 2 and 3 hours, arrived - setup and played, no probs, but I'm now wondering if 3 hours is about the time it takes for my mixer to overheat and transfer that heat to my 2500 causing issues!

Any thoughts?

Also wondering if any of you use the DN-X500 and you're out tonight, could you maybe see how hot it gets by the end of the night and let me know? When I say hot I'm talking oddly hot, never felt heat like this off a mixer!

Cheers all, Matt

NKR
17-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Also wondering if any of you use the DN-X500 and you're out tonight, could you maybe see how hot it gets by the end of the night and let me know? When I say hot I'm talking oddly hot, never felt heat like this off a mixer!

My Denon DN-x900 gets quite hot on the front face (not top) just where the A on crossfader is. I assume they all do this. There are three screws in the case there so assume something is secured there.

Chris1984
17-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Will have my x500 out tonight not noticed it getting hot but will have a look - ill leave it on all day and see what happens!

will let you know during next week

MFEntertainment
17-10-2009, 11:16 AM
My Denon DN-x900 gets quite hot on the front face (not top) just where the A on crossfader is. I assume they all do this. There are three screws in the case there so assume something is secured there.

Yeah that's where mine is getting hot, not the panel where all faders and buttons are. I just wonder whether that heat is being transferred throuh to my HD2500 (which is just above it in the flight case) and causing me problems!

Incidently as you mention it's the left hand side of the mixer that seems the hotest and it's the left hand side of the 2500 where the Hard Drive is located!

Also thanks Chris - I'll look forward to hearing from you.

discomobiledj
17-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Have you tried putting some external fans on the case or at least a clip on one near it to try and keep the heat down?

Dynamic Entertainment
17-10-2009, 12:04 PM
All the denon mixers ive ever uses have gotten hot...i just thought it was standard with them.

MFEntertainment
17-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Have you tried putting some external fans on the case or at least a clip on one near it to try and keep the heat down?

First time I noticed it last night Steve, not something I really want to be getting into if I can help it, but it is certainly an option.

MAtt

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-10-2009, 02:55 PM
All the denon mixers ive ever uses have gotten hot...i just thought it was standard with them.

It is.

BeerFunk
17-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Any mixer (or equipment) with a lot of digital circuitry will heat up, but assuming you have it ventilated and the heat can dissipate, there's no issue there :)

spin mobile disco
18-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Yep can confirm my dennon mixer runs hot. Intersting that both of my numark mixers barley get warm where the dennon is defianlty hot not just warm.

DJ Jules
18-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Any mixer (or equipment) with a lot of digital circuitry will heat up, but assuming you have it ventilated and the heat can dissipate, there's no issue there :)

You'll probably have noticed that the majority of mixers aren't vented. In theory mixers are really low power devices (the amp for the headphone drawing the most power, but even then you're talking milliwatts). With the advent of digital processing though, mixers are drawing more power and kicking out more heat as the DSP processors in them get hot (like your PC or laptop would). I have a Gemini mixer on my main playout which doesn't really go above room temperature in use, but I also have an Alesis 8 channel mixer with DSP effects which gets pretty warm (even though the main power supply is in a separate brick).

Julian

BeerFunk
18-10-2009, 02:15 PM
You'll probably have noticed that the majority of mixers aren't vented. In theory mixers are really low power devices (the amp for the headphone drawing the most power, but even then you're talking milliwatts). With the advent of digital processing though, mixers are drawing more power and kicking out more heat as the DSP processors in them get hot (like your PC or laptop would). I have a Gemini mixer on my main playout which doesn't really go above room temperature in use, but I also have an Alesis 8 channel mixer with DSP effects which gets pretty warm (even though the main power supply is in a separate brick).

JulianPerhaps the idea is that the mixer top plate (ie. the bit you use!) acts as a large heatsink - in which case it's good that it's hot. I quite like it though, especially in the big, cold halls :D

Tom
18-10-2009, 05:23 PM
My X900 and X1500 both get rather warm and in some cases, quite hot but never really been a problem. :)

Chris1984
18-10-2009, 05:54 PM
mine got a little warm but no where near hot

DJ Jules
18-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Perhaps the idea is that the mixer top plate (ie. the bit you use!) acts as a large heatsink - in which case it's good that it's hot. I quite like it though, especially in the big, cold halls :D

It did occur to me that they might have bolted the voltage regulator or something similar to the front panel as this is the one panel in the unit which is most likely to have free air flow around it (whereas the sides and bottom are likely to up against another unit in a rack). However, flat, horizontal panels aren't great for dissipating heat, which is why you see vanes on the heatsinks on the backs of speaker cabs, and the heatsinks are orientated so that they're typically vertical when they're in use.

Julian

NKR
18-10-2009, 06:10 PM
It did occur to me that they might have bolted the voltage regulator or something similar to the front panel as this is the one panel in the unit

There is definitely something fixed to the front panel at that point as there are three screws there.

MFEntertainment
18-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I spent ages last night going through Google images and it seems loads of DJ's mount their Denon gear like mine, the DN-X500 mixer below or above the HD2500.

I've been using it like this for a good while and it's only now the problems have begun so I'm going to go back to assuming the HD-2500 is at fault, time to splash out I think. The sad thing is that this is the one piece of kit I can't do without and can't afford to have going wrong, why can't it be something more simple!!!!

NKR
18-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I spent ages last night going through Google images and it seems loads of DJ's mount their Denon gear like mine, the DN-X500 mixer below or above the HD2500.

I've been using it like this for a good while and it's only now the problems have begun so I'm going to go back to assuming the HD-2500 is at fault, time to splash out I think. The sad thing is that this is the one piece of kit I can't do without and can't afford to have going wrong, why can't it be something more simple!!!!

It may well be something simple like a dry joint. Try taking it to a friendly engineer/repair centre.

MFEntertainment
18-10-2009, 06:31 PM
It may well be something simple like a dry joint. Try taking it to a friendly engineer/repair centre.

Easier said than done on the Isle of Man! No disco shops or anywhere that can help!

Matt

NKR
18-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Easier said than done on the Isle of Man! No disco shops or anywhere that can help!

Matt

Aaaahhhh - Yes that could be a problem.

paull
23-10-2009, 03:58 PM
My DNX 900 runs hot but does not cause problems to kit either side of it on the rack.