PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation AKA-115

Booche
17-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Can i get any views onto these before i buy a pair as i saw some today and they sounded mint but they were being used outdoors so there wasnt any bounce coming back etc so wondered what you guys think

Here is the info i found:

* Custom Intimidation Drivers
* 1” Piezo Tweeters
* Rugged Black Carpet Covering
* Kick Proof Front Grille
* Integrated Top Hat Pole Mounts
* Speakon Connections
* Spring Clip Connections
* Power Max: 300W
* Frequency Response: 55Hz – 18KHz
* Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
* Driver: 15”
* Net Weight: 18kg
* Dimensions WxDxH: 459 x 340 x 680mm

Cheers Dave :)

Dynamic Entertainment
17-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Dave, I cant find the spl anywhere (even on Pro Audio Imports website (the folk who get em in the country), or any usefull info for that matter. Whilst ive not heard the AKA range....the INT range left a lot to be desired with the ones i had.

Booche
17-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Damn lol like i say they sounded really good but i suppose anything can sound good outdoors, can i ask what you would recommend to go with my RCL 15" ?

Dynamic Entertainment
17-10-2009, 11:27 PM
The AKA range could well be a few steps above their INT range...but its the lack of usefull specs that makes me wonder...

Ive never had any dealings with RCL Dave so couldnt really say.....im sure someone will be along within the next 12 hours who can though ;)

Booche
17-10-2009, 11:29 PM
No problem thankyou anyway :)

NKR
18-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Errr - £79.99 each answers the question for me. Not one I would touch.

Booche
18-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Errr - £79.99 each answers the question for me. Not one I would touch.

i know i know thats what got me asking in here mate, but on that note my RCL 15" were only £129.99 for the pair but i wouldn't be with out them on every way.
again this is why i asked for a review as such to see if anyone one had any experiance of them etc, but you havent said why just coz they got a cheap price tag doesnt always mean they crap etc

NKR
18-10-2009, 12:48 AM
I use OHM's very much outdated RW3, but to replace a driver in them is as much as the whole unit for an AKA-115.

Thats why I would not be interested. The RW3's I use still sound good so I continue to use them and when I bought them a number of years ago they were a good mid priced cab. I think mine cost me £475 for the pair some seven or eight years ago.

the INT range left a lot to be desired with the ones i had.

These are the budget range below the INT from what I can make out.

Booche
18-10-2009, 01:19 AM
These are the budget range below the INT from what I can make out.

So they crap then lol is that what you were saying but in a nice way? lol

NKR
18-10-2009, 11:13 AM
So they crap then lol is that what you were saying but in a nice way? lol

I haven't heard them so I couldn't possibly say that, but I would be aware that they are particularly cheap and you get what you pay for.

What application are looking to use them for?

Ebay can provide some quite good second hand speakers at good money, which as long as you try them out before handing over the readies can be the way to get better quality for your budget.

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm not too hot on geography, but I'm inclined to think Derbyshire's not too far from Mansfield, is it? ;) :D

Penfold42
18-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm not too hot on geography, but I'm inclined to think Derbyshire's not too far from Mansfield, is it? ;) :D

Here we go......Pete's doing the plug bit again...:bang:

:D

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Here we go......Pete's doing the plug bit again...:bang:

:D

What? :confused: :confused: What did I say? :confused: :confused: I merely posted an off topic geography remark.

Penfold42
18-10-2009, 07:01 PM
:lol:

Adam_F
18-10-2009, 07:03 PM
AKA is Audio Intimidations budget range. Price wise, you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd look at Wharfedale SVP 15s instead of the AKAs!

Booche
18-10-2009, 09:16 PM

lol it is indeed, ill ask why as i haven't been here that long to understand the joke :(

AKA is Audio Intimidations budget range. Price wise, you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd look at Wharfedale SVP 15s instead of the AKAs!

just been looking at them lol

Cheers Guys :)

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 09:27 PM
lol it is indeed, ill ask why as i haven't been here that long to understand the joke :(

Cheers Guys :)

It doesn't take long. :D :D
If you're considering budget, or mid price cabs, ring these lads, and have a word. Tell 'em Codhead sent you, and he's about due for one of these new amps for all the trade he's put their way. :D :D :D
They're also beginning to do some higher end cabs.

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/full-range-cabs/

NKR
18-10-2009, 09:29 PM
If you're considering budget, or mid price cabs, ring these lads, and have a word. Tell 'em Codhead sent you, and he's about due for one of these new amps for all the trade he's put their way. :D :D :D

Them again. This morning I thought it was a driving license. Now they are popping up everywhere!

Booche
18-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Ecellent mate will do and thanks again :)

P.S. Any recomendations on which are fairly good ;) lol

Cheers Dave

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Ecellent mate will do and thanks again :)

P.S. Any recomendations on which are fairly good ;) lol

Cheers Dave

If you are fit, and can lift big cabs onto tripods.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1400w-cd15sp_pair-of-classd_pa-speakers.html

If you usually work on a stage, and have £400 to spare. And a big amp to drive 'em.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1300w-rms_pair-of-class-d-cd215sp-speakers.html

If you don't have £400, but still wish to make the earth move
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/2000w_pair-of-cd215-class-d_pa-speakers-for-djs-and-bands.html

Booche
18-10-2009, 10:10 PM
If you are fit, and can lift big cabs onto tripods.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1400w-cd15sp_pair-of-classd_pa-speakers.html

If you usually work on a stage, and have £400 to spare. And a big amp to drive 'em.

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/2000w_pair-of-cd215-class-d_pa-speakers-for-djs-and-bands.html

Nice one was looking at http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1400w_pair-of-class-d-cd158-1_pa-speakers.html as the main ones then http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1000w-12_pair-of-class-d-cd128-1-speakers.html to sit on top or both on stands :)

A1DL
18-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Not wanting to be pedantic Peter, but do the cabs in the second link really make the earth move @ 118db @ 1m ? The first cabs you've linked to are almost twice as loud @ 126db. Seems a lot of weight for not a lot of noise.:confused:

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Not wanting to be pedantic Peter, but do the cabs in the second link really make the earth move @ 118db @ 1m ? The first cabs you've linked to are almost twice as loud @ 126db. Seems a lot of weight for not a lot of noise.:confused:

Not wanting to be pedantic? You appear to be doing a fine job of overcoming your aversion. :D :D OK, I'll hold my hands up to being too lax in my descriptions. Making the earth move referred to the Bass response, rather than the overall volume. The twin 15 cabs all give a very inpressive bass output. I've always pointed out that most Class D cabs tend to be low on volume compared to say Mackie or RCF.

The setup which works well for me is the cabs in link 1 in parallel with link 3. The 215's give loads of bass, and the SP's add clarity to the top end.

Booche
18-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Think im gonna go with
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1000w-12_pair-of-class-d-cd128-1-speakers.html

and then

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1400w_pair-of-class-d-cd158-1_pa-speakers.html

NKR
18-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Think im gonna go with
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1000w-12_pair-of-class-d-cd128-1-speakers.html

and then

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/1400w_pair-of-class-d-cd158-1_pa-speakers.html

To do what with. That appears to be two different sized full range cabs?

Booche
18-10-2009, 10:55 PM
the 12's will join my rcl 15's and the others will be either backup or used along side the 12's

NKR
18-10-2009, 10:58 PM
the 12's will join my rcl 15's and the others will be either backup or used along side the 12's

Are the RCL 15's a bass cab - sorry for my ignorance again, but I haven't hear do of them. I know the RCF brand, bu not come across RCL.

Booche
18-10-2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.rclspeakers.com/cm1510.htm

there you go NKR :)

NKR
18-10-2009, 11:03 PM

Hmmm - Not sure how you are intending to the pair all this together.

Why don't you look for some good quality tops and work towards some subs.

As a casual observer it would appear you are collecting a lot of budget speakers rather than getting one decent set. What are you planning to use to drive this lot.

Regards

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Hmmm - Not sure how you are intending to the pair all this together.

Why don't you look for some good quality tops and work towards some subs.

As a casual observer it would appear you are collecting a lot of budget speakers rather than getting one decent set. What are you planning to use to drive this lot.

Regards

Im not pairing it all together, i had a pair of very old old old peaveys that have gone to speaker heaven :( which sat nicly with the RCL's so im looking at getting some new ones and unfortunatly im on a budget :( so hence why i chose them 2 sets like i say the 12" ones will replace my peaveys and the 15" ones will stay as back up, im currently useing 1x 1200watt "skytec" amp ( hate mail expected now ) and a 800watt "skytec" amp, which i know alot of people will slate me for having skytec amps but touch wood they have done there part and have never ( touches wood again ) let me down as of yet

NKR
18-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Im not pairing it all together, i had a pair of very old old old peaveys that have gone to speaker heaven :( which sat nicly with the RCL's so im looking at getting some new ones and unfortunatly im on a budget :( so hence why i chose them 2 sets like i say the 12" ones will replace my peaveys and the 15" ones will stay as back up, im currently useing 1x 1200watt "skytec" amp ( hate mail expected now ) and a 800watt "skytec" amp, which i know alot of people will slate me for having skytec amps but touch wood they have done there part and have never ( touches wood again ) let me down as of yet

Its not about slating anyone its about trying to work out how you are setting all this up and making sure you don't go off and buy something else that won't do the job for you. Why buy two sets of cheaper speakers to put one set into back up. Why not buy one good set and just not kill them. You can then as funds come in buy some cheap back up if you feel the need.
Out of interest how were you setting it all up prior to the Peaveys leaving for the great gig in the sky. (plus how is it all going to be set up again).

How big venues are you doing needing two amps?

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Its not about slating anyone its about trying to work out how you are setting all this up and making sure you don't go off and buy something else that won't do the job for you. Why buy two sets of cheaper speakers to put one set into back up. Why not buy one good set and just not kill them. You can then as funds come in buy some cheap back up if you feel the need.
Out of interest how were you setting it all up prior to the Peaveys leaving for the great gig in the sky. (plus how is it all going to be set up again).

How big venues are you doing needing two amps?

i take the 2 amps 1 for back up, as for the buying 2 sets i know what you mean mate ive thought about this myself so i think its going to be a sit and think more as i might be just throwing money away, as for set up i used to before i got stands have the peaveys sat on top of the rcl's but then i invested in stands lol so i had the rcl's quite near the deck and the peaveys on the stands about 6 foot away ( venue size permitting of cause ), i some times do quite big welfare halls but if the venue is small then i would just take the Rcl's as they deliver very good sound ive been told :)

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Hmmm. I think I'd relegate the RCL's to backup. ;) I'd get one pair of Class D's and start saving for new amps, a crosover and bins.

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Damn choices choices choices lolwill have to sit down and have a really good think about this but i do appreciate everyones input

Thanks Guys :)

NKR
18-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Hmmm. I think I'd relegate the RCL's to backup. ;) I'd get one pair of Class D's and start saving for new amps, a crosover and bins.

Never used the D's but the man has a point and where I was sort of getting to (but not on the D's). Those RCL are 400 watt peak god only knows what they are RMS. My little RW2's probably have more bite and they are a 200watt 12" cab that I use for little functions.

Also if you are running a pair of cabs in serial off one amp you need to be making sure your loadings are right - ie you are making the correct OHM calcs, two 8ohm speakers linked gives a 4ohm load to your amp.

I have been told that if you are running cabs in serial you should have equal wattage outputs or you are going to end up with an imbalance and muller the smaller cab. The techy audio boys will jump in at some point I am sure.

A1DL
18-10-2009, 11:30 PM
a pair of very old old old peaveys that have gone to speaker heaven

Are you sure? They used to be a bit fickle at the pearly gates ;)

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Never used the D's but the man has a point and where I was sort of getting to (but not on the D's). Those RCL are 400 watt peak god only knows what they are RMS. My little RW2's probably have more bite and they are a 200watt 12" cab that I use for little functions.

:(:(:( i did bad then :(:(:(

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Same hymnsheet I feel. ;) I'd say one pair of better cabs would deliver more and better sound than a couple of pairs of lower grade and el cheapo amps.

A1DL
18-10-2009, 11:32 PM

piezos, yuck, ouch, etc.

& yet another budget box where the manufacturer fails to state how loud they'll play :(

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Goes to stab holes in speakers to claim insurance lol

was just kidding before any one rings up lol

Will take into consideration whats been said definatly, but at the minute im unable to buy alot of new things ie: amp, crossover subs
but will pop them on my santa list

NKR
18-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey booche, sleep on it a bit.

I lived off two full range RW3's for years before adding subs and they were fine (I like my OHMs)

If you get some nice full range cabs you will be happy as a sand boy. Then buy a proper amp!!!!!!

Excalibur
18-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Goes to stab holes in speakers to claim insurance lol

was just kidding before any one rings up lol

Will take into consideration whats been said definatly, but at the minute im unable to buy alot of new things ie: amp, crossover subs
but will pop them on my santa list

Seriously, don't do anything rash. As many people have said on here before, by spending cheap lots of times, you could end up spending more than expensive once. Keep asking questions, there's lots of good advice on here, opften from folk who have been there, done that. ;)

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Im very greatfull for all the advice you guys have given me im not much of one to know alot of info about speakers ( bad i know ) but im learning one hell of alot from here :)

Cheers Dave

Tom
18-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Im very greatfull for all the advice you guys have given me im not much of one to know alot of info about speakers ( bad i know ) but im learning one hell of alot from here :)

Cheers Dave

Once you understand the basics, it makes things so much easier. :)

Booche
18-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Once you understand the basics, it makes things so much easier. :)

Hmmm not to sure to take that as a compliment or sarcasm lol

But will take it the nice way :)

Tom
19-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Hmmm not to sure to take that as a compliment or sarcasm lol

But will take it the nice way :)

Ohh no, I wasn't taking the mick. Just saying in general, once you understand the basics of audio, things just seem easier to work out. :)

Booche
19-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Ohh no, I wasn't taking the mick. Just saying in general, once you understand the basics of audio, things just seem easier to work out. :)

No worrys Tom thanks for that, yeah im fairly good at everything else just speakers/amp talk seems to lose me lol i know about say wattage but when it comes to OHMs and SPL etc etc im lost lol

Dynamic Entertainment
19-10-2009, 12:48 AM
As far as i understand it....

wattage for guaging loudness and should only be used for working out power requirements.

SPL is how efficiantly the speakers are working and is measured 1watt at 1metre (1w/1m) so the higher the dB at 1w/1m the louder the preceived vloume.

Booche
19-10-2009, 12:56 AM
As far as i understand it....

wattage for guaging loudness and should only be used for working out power requirements.

SPL is how efficiantly the speakers are working and is measured 1watt at 1metre (1w/1m) so the higher the dB at 1w/1m the louder the preceived vloume.

See lost me alreay lol was understanding the first bit, so if i gt this right 800watts should cover 800metres ? or have a i totally made my self sound like a real :Censored: head now :( Damn been doing discos for a few years and club dj for along time but never looked at this side of things :(

DJ Jules
19-10-2009, 07:38 AM
See lost me alreay lol was understanding the first bit, so if i gt this right 800watts should cover 800metres ?

Nope, because sound doesn't travel in a straight line, it spreads out as it travels. But that's not the point of the measurement anyway. SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level and it's used to measure the amount of pressure your speakers are putting out. SPL is typically used for two measurements, Efficiency and Peak volume. It's measured in Decibels (Db).

Efficiency is measured by putting 1w of amplifier power into your speaker, and measuring how much pressure (i.e. perceived volume) your speakers are putting out at a distance of 1m away from them. This gives you an indication of how efficient the speakers are at turning electrical power (Watts) into Sound Pressure (Db). This is useful to know because with more efficient speakers you'll need less amplifier power to generate the same level of volume on the dance floor (but be aware that some speakers trade efficiency for quality, so they might be very efficient, and very loud, but sound absolutely awful).

Peak Volume (usually called "Peak SPL") is measured in Db and indicates just how loud the speakers will go (i.e. how much pressure the speakers are capable of putting onto the air around them, and onto your ear drums :) ). It's measured in Db.

Note that Db are an logarithmic scale, meaning that as the numbers get higher, the speakers will have to work harder and harder to get to the next number. Don't ask me what kind of numbers you should be looking for - that'll open a real can of worms :)

...or have a i totally made my self sound like a real :Censored: head now :( Damn been doing discos for a few years and club dj for along time but never looked at this side of things :(

Nope, you're just learning :)

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey booche, sleep on it a bit.

I lived off two full range RW3's for years before adding subs and they were fine (I like my OHMs)

I used RW3s and RWS for about 15 years and always liked the sound.

NKR
19-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I used RW3s and RWS for about 15 years and always liked the sound.

There you go Booche - get on ebay and get some 3's. £150 to £200 will get you a nice set. Mine are 8 years old and still powering on okay. You won't need anything else for a while.

Booche
19-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Looking now :) cheers again folks :)

Booche
19-10-2009, 11:08 PM
OHM RW3 SPEAKERS TWO PAIRS <<< bidding on them £31.00 from me being highest bidder :P

NKR
19-10-2009, 11:12 PM
OHM RW3 SPEAKERS TWO PAIRS <<< bidding on them £31.00 from me being highest bidder :P

They are in Blackpool and ex install from a theatre right. Just keep me up to date on what you are doing as I am tracking them. No point bidding against each other. I require another set of RW3's as back up for what I have and have a set of RW2's to offload. If you don't need both sets I could do with a couple and could agree a good price on the two's as your back ups.

Plus as I travel about a bit so could get them pretty close to Derbyshire for you at minimal cost.

Two days left on them so lets see what happens.

Booche
19-10-2009, 11:15 PM
They are in Blackpool and ex install from a theatre right. Just keep me up to date on what you are doing as I am tracking them. No point bidding against each other. I require another set of RW3's as back up for what I have and have a set of RW2's to offload. If you don't need both sets I could do with a couple and could agree a good price on the two's as your back ups.

Plus as I travel about a bit so could get them pretty close to Derbyshire for you at minimal cost.

Two days left on them so lets see what happens.

Yes mate but didnt know about the ex-install to be honest and no worries mate will do deffo as i only need 1 set lol :) ( now whos buying cheap ) lol :P