PDA

View Full Version : There goes MEP700.

Penfold42
18-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Thought that might get your attention....:D

Right ....PC here's about stuffed. 8 yrs and just about giving up :o ....so I need a new PC and a Laptop.
I'll get the old one referred for the kids (they only use MSN, facebook and other minor apps) and treat ourselves to a decent PC and the MD get a laptop....

So as I'm a long distance cousin to Bill Gates...:p :D ....any ideas would be good. :)

Thanks.

I'll have to wait for the Pioneer now...

Tom
18-10-2009, 09:45 PM
What kind of budget do you have to play with?

Penfold42
19-10-2009, 11:41 AM
What kind of budget do you have to play with?

What a ....
http://ic2.pbase.com/g3/71/36871/3/54151593.04_Bluetit.jpg

Sorry...:o ....didn't want to spend no more than £700. :)

simonp
19-10-2009, 05:30 PM
would seem bids are back on again for my MEP-7000 :p

Jiggles
19-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Now I could build a corker of a PC for £700! Far better specks than out the shops!

Excalibur
19-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Now I could build a corker of a PC for £700! Far better specks than out the shops!

Couldn't we all. ;) :D Sadly Callum, you missed the salient point that old tightwad Penmare wants two for that money, and one has tyo be a high spec laptop! :(

Jiggles
19-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes, I see where reading threads fully helps alot. £700 for a high spec laptop and a PC. hmm Pushing it. Then again what I call high spec and someone else calls high spec are two different things. XD

Penfold42
19-10-2009, 06:34 PM

Not seen it advertised yet....:D

Tight wad - I thought that was a good shout....:(

Tom
19-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Have you had a look at ebay. Could get a Dell or something for a laptop for example. Not everyone's taste but not bad for the money.

Booche
19-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I built mine myself and for £350 i think it was quite good but i did buy the motherboard cheap when i was at Pc World,
Rough top of head specs:
quad core processor,
8gb ram'
2 x 5oogb sata hdd
1x250gb sata hdd
new case

Cant remember the rest but will post tommorow when i next turn it on and check lol

NKR
19-10-2009, 10:40 PM

As long as you hit it with some Fabreeze :D

Penfold42
21-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Ok been having a look around - thoughts please. :)
Second column from the left - PC
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/desktops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=desktops_great_deals&s=dhs&cid=DTOffer&cs=ukdhs1&dgc=IR&lid=DHP_BB1

Laptop - Either two on the left hand side.
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/laptops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=laptops_great_deals&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Gone for Dell as I think these are the best on the market.
£678 or £728

This laptop is not for DJing.
Thanks.:)

Excalibur
21-10-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/desktops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=desktops_great_deals&s=dhs&cid=DTOffer&cs=ukdhs1&dgc=IR&lid=DHP_BB1

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/laptops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=laptops_great_deals&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

£678 or £728

Hope not. :p I've just got a Compaq. :D :D
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0783621020.125614213 4@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfhadeijdmhkhjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=950601&category_oid=

Jiggles
21-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Best PC on market I would go Sony with Dell a distant second.

Penfold42
21-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry....i'll make it clearer - Dell support seems to be better.

Excalibur
21-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry....i'll make it clearer - Dell support seems to be better.

Well make it clearer still then. Specs of the desktop you fancy please. The one I thought you meant seemed outgunned by mine. :confused:

Penfold42
21-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Well make it clearer still then. Specs of the desktop you fancy please. The one I thought you meant seemed outgunned by mine. :confused:

:D Second on left. It's always going to be like this - but i do thank you for your input young sir. :eek: ;) :D

:beer1:

Excalibur
21-10-2009, 09:15 PM
:D Second on left. It's always going to be like this - but i do thank you for your input young sir. :eek: ;) :D

:beer1:

Do you need a new monitor? I got one with mine, but my old one was showing signs of wear, and was small. Funny, cos when I first got it, I was staggered by the improvement. :D

Yours is 1Gb of ram short to mine, 70Gb of memory, and thinks a bit slower. What makes it such a good deal. :confused:

Penfold42
21-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Do you need a new monitor? I got one with mine, but my old one was showing signs of wear, and was small. Funny, cos when I first got it, I was staggered by the improvement. :D
The monitor is one of them old tele types....:o

Yours is 1Gb of ram short to mine, 70Gb of memory, and thinks a bit slower. What makes it such a good deal. :confused:

It's a Dell....:p

Look I don't know....:o I was just told by 2 guru's that Dell was the best to get and the support was a lot better......i'm still confused now as I was a week ago...:confused:

Booche
21-10-2009, 09:24 PM
For that money pemare id go to the local comp shop ( not pc world ) and get a custom built one mate as i spent £2 less then that dell package and built one with a quad core processor,8gb of ram ( memory ), 2x500gb hddd,1x 250gb hdd, new case, top graphics card,dvd rewriter, admitingly i didnt get a monitor but for £20 - £30 you can pick a second hand decent sized one up, but i suppose its all up to personnal choice, damn i feel like i still work at pc world lol

Excalibur
21-10-2009, 09:29 PM
The monitor is one of them old tele types....:o

It's a Dell....:p

Look I don't know....:o I was just told by 2 guru's that Dell was the best to get and the support was a lot better......i'm still confused now as I was a week ago...:confused:

And as you well know, I tend to rate things on how much bang I get for my buck. :o :o I look at minimum system requirements and see what I can get. ( And I'm sure you realise I'm not pointscoring either, just uncharacteristically trying to help. :D )

I know there's no monitor, but here's a higher spec:
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/quad_core/fs.aspx?refid=quad_core&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1
Second column.

Come on lads, we've got the blind leading the blind here, there must be some geeks riding to the rescue, surely? Apart from Vectis who's disqualified, cos he's gonna recommend you get a raincoat, or something.

For that money pemare id go to the local comp shop ( not pc world ) and get a custom built one mate as i spent £2 less then that dell package and built one with a quad core processor,8gb of ram ( memory ), 2x500gb hddd,1x 250gb hdd, new case, top graphics card,dvd rewriter, admitingly i didnt get a monitor but for £20 - £30 you can pick a second hand decent sized one up, but i suppose its all up to personnal choice, damn i feel like i still work at pc world lol

Good advice. If you can bear to cross the Humber Bridge, I can recommend one. I went to PC World, cos I got mine on a lease. Suits me, may not suit others.

Jiggles
21-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Wouldn't get a PC or anything from PC world. They will try and sell you crap that you don't need.

I'm on the look out Tone. :)

Booche
21-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't get a PC or anything from PC world. They will try and sell you crap that you don't need.

I'm on the look out Tone. :)

Hence why i dont work there no more lol as for leaseing its ok for abit untill you come to renew your contact etc theres lot of things they DONT tell you :(

Penfold42
21-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks so far folks......I'm off to bed. :beer1:

welby
22-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks so far folks......I'm off to bed. :beer1:

Penmare, have a look on dixons website! Yes I know but do not look at the normal priced stuff, they have a refurbished section if you look close enough.

They resell A1 graded products. I have bought 2 laptops and they arrived in mint condition, well packaged and well under the "normal" selling price.

Another place to look is acer direct, they also have a similar refurbished section, but here they sell either grade A1 (perfect) or A2 (slight cosmetic marks).

Hope this helps.

Penfold42
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM

£678 or £728

OK - feed up with it all here....bite the bullet and gone for these....:)
I also get "Free Napster® with 60 Free Songs and 1 year Free Music Streaming"......

Thanks people.

Excalibur
04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
OK - feed up with it all here....bite the bullet and gone for these....:)
I also get "Free Napster® with 60 Free Songs and 1 year Free Music Streaming"......

Thanks people.

Hope they work well for you. I've got to say the difference between my new one and the old one is staggering. A few minor glitches to cure, and I'm laughing.

Penfold42
04-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Hope they work well for you. I've got to say the difference between my new one and the old one is staggering. A few minor glitches to cure, and I'm laughing.

Well we are at the moment 32 bit and the new is 64 bit.....whatever that means......
:shrug:

NKR
04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Well we are at the moment 32 bit and the new is 64 bit.....whatever that means......

Its takes twice as long to put it together? :p :D :beer1:

Penfold42
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Its takes twice as long to put it together? :p :D :beer1:

:lol:

Excalibur
04-11-2009, 11:11 PM

It may mean some things won't work with it. ;) :( It may also mean some other things fly.

Penfold42
04-11-2009, 11:19 PM
It may mean some things won't work with it. ;) :( It may also mean some other things fly.

I have also been told this....I feel this will be a bigger project than 1st thought of......oh joy of joys....:D

Booche
05-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I still stand by the fact you could have got a top spec custom bulit machine to do what ever yours needs are ( apart from cooking, as theres no processor quick enough yet they just FRY ;) ) lol

Sorry but like i say custom build i feel is the way to go

Cheers Dave

Penfold42
05-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Ermmmm....Dell build to your order.
This will do what I want and has what I want. :)

I'll just exspand a little bit more here - What I cannot do at this moment in time with my PC -
Download
Upload
Internal Hard drive is fubbarded
Burn
Rip
Read e-mails
Reply to e-mails

what can I do - well.....I can click on a page....go make a cuppa and come back..the page would have just opened....
Couple that up with a full time job....

What would you do? Build or buy?

Booche
05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
id still build sorry :( a local comp shop would build your machine to the spec you want with in a couple of hours if they are busy, if they arnt it should take about 1hr poss 1hr 30mins, then i will be honest and say all youd have to do is load what ever you want on it ie: OS ( unless you ask the comp shop to do that which will extend the time but only slightly)

As for software and such like then thats a personnal choice as to what you have on, as if you buy a pre-custom machine it will still come with the useally crap which you have then to uninstall etc

Sorry to post again

But for that price bracket i could personnally custom build a pc (tower) with quite a hi spec equipment and have alot of room for extra internal hdd's, sound cards, graphics etc

Cheers Dave :)

P.S. shame you dont live nearer to me as i would sort this for you within your budget :(

Excalibur
05-11-2009, 07:00 AM
id still build sorry :( a local comp shop would build your machine to the spec you want with in a couple of hours if they are busy, if they arnt it should take about 1hr poss 1hr 30mins, then i will be honest and say all youd have to do is load what ever you want on it ie: OS ( unless you ask the comp shop to do that which will extend the time but only slightly)

As for software and such like then thats a personnal choice as to what you have on, as if you buy a pre-custom machine it will still come with the useally crap which you have then to uninstall etc

Sorry to post again

But for that price bracket i could personnally custom build a pc (tower) with quite a hi spec equipment and have alot of room for extra internal hdd's, sound cards, graphics etc

Cheers Dave :)

P.S. shame you dont live nearer to me as i would sort this for you within your budget :(

Everybody lives close to Penmare. ;) He gets around a bit. ;) ;) :D :D
I know what you're saying, the factory machines don't half have some crap on there! :eek: We've built them ourselves before, it's not that difficult.
If you had a good shop near you ( there's an excellent one in Hull) and the cash I'd agree you get a better machine cheaper.

Penfold42
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Laptop now in use....not by me...:(
Looking good and really quick.....:thumbsup: from the odd look over my shoulder....:( :( :( ....still waiting for PC! :bang:

Excalibur
10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Laptop now in use....not by me...:(
Looking good and really quick.....:thumbsup: from the odd look over my shoulder....:( :( :( ....still waiting for PC! :bang:

Well tosh, I'd have got a Toshiba. ;) ( To paraphrase an old advert ) :D :D
Hope it goes well for you. When you get the new desktop, you won't believe the difference.

Penfold42
12-11-2009, 09:27 PM
PC now here...still in a box. Busy weekend ahead...so no joy yet. :(

Guru coming round Monday to start mapping out were we will set the little darlings up.

I fear this is going to take longer than anticipated...:(

Excalibur
12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
PC now here...still in a box. Busy weekend ahead...so no joy yet. :(

Guru coming round Monday to start mapping out were we will set the little darlings up.

I fear this is going to take longer than anticipated...:(

Should be peaceful on here for a while then. :D :D

Penfold42
12-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Should be peaceful on here for a while then. :D :D

I still have a phone. :sj:

DiscoTed
14-11-2009, 12:50 AM

just the bits, anything over 4gb ram needs to be 64bit,(because their is a block in 32bit operating systems) and that makes them not see any ram over 4gb most new machines are 64bit thats the way forward, but you may find certain softwares dont work or have problems, if you have 4gb ram on a 32bit machine, you may notice only 3.5gb, the other 512mb will go for video cards and the likes, This is just a classic mircosoft racing ahead and the software teams being behide, If you find it problematic for you, I would downgrade to 32bit untill more 64bit software is on the market:)

Penfold42
16-11-2009, 07:50 PM
OK - quick update.....just transfering all the other items from one PC to the other....been going about 9hrs so far..:eek: