PDA

View Full Version : Wedding 31st October 2009

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I met the bride and groom at a wedding fayre and the groom explained that he just wanted to hire a P.A. as him and his mates DJ in a pub in town and wanted specific types of music, which he didn't think that we could do. It turns out, the pub he was DJing in was a pub that I used to do in the early to mid 90s. Him and his wife to be wanted 80s alternative, 90s alternative and 60s.

To cut a long story short, an hour later, they had booked full disco, DJ and uplighting for their wedding. So we started with a £150 P.A hire and ended up with a £700 booking. Why? Because I told them we provide a bespoke service and could do exactly what they wanted, rather than just turning up and hoping for the best!

We discussed the music at length and he said that if the requests and direction he had given me weren't working then feel free to change it. There were a few 'no plays' including Abba, Carpenters, Oasis (strangely) and Wonderstuff - Size of a cow.

So, here's the playlist - he asked me to send it to him if I could, hence the reason for typing it up. Thought it might be useful for one or two of you.
Requests in bold

Background
Depeche Mode – Enjoy the silence
Stone Roses – Fools Gold
Ned’s Atomic Dustbin – Not sleeping around
Orbital - Chime
Radiohead – Creep
Suede – Animal Nitrate
Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
Suede – The drowners
Fun Loving Criminals – Scooby snacks
Terrorvision – Oblivion

First three songs including first dance
Frank Sinatra – Like someone in love
Beatles – Got to get you into my life
Blues Brothers – Everybody needs somebody

Main disco
Various – Soul banana
Scissor Sisters – I don’t feel like dancing
Blur – Boys and girls
Levellers – One way
Carter USM – Sheriff Fatman
Lemonheads – Mrs Robinson

Background for buffet
Charlatans – One to another
Led Zeppelin – Kashmir
David Bowie – Changes
The Who – Substitute
Cream – I feel free
Beatles – I am the walrus
Charlatans – Weirdo
Inspiral Carpets – Dragging me down

Main disco
New Order – True Faith
Soupdragons – I’m free
Happy Mondays – Step on
Stone Roses – She bangs the drums
Cure – Lovecats
Smiths – Panic
Clash – Rock the Casbar
Pop Will Eat Itself – Def con one
AC/DC – You shook me all night long
Stealers Wheel – Stuck in the middle with you
Rolling Stones – Jumping Jack Flash
Kinks – You really got me now
Jimi Hendrix – Crosstown traffic
Steppenwolf – Born to be wild
Chuck Berry – You never can tell
Dusty Springfield – I only want to be with you
Queen – Crazy little thing called love
Rainbow – Since you been gone
Black Crowes – Hard to handle
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Suck my kiss
Primal Scream – Rocks
Kasabian – Processed beats
Editors – Munich

(Dance floor a little quiet at this point, so groom says make it a little more poppy and 80s)

B52s – Love shack
Aha – Take on me
Dead or Alive – You spin me round
Depeche Mode – Just can’t get enough
Human League – Don’t you want me
Erasure – A little respect
New Order – Blue Monday
Jam – Town called malice
Madness – Baggy trousers
Fratellis – Chelsea dagger
Kaiser Chiefs – Ruby
The Automatic - Monster
Killers – Somebody told me
James – Sit down
Green Day – Basketcase
Reef – Place your hands
Electric 6 – Danger high voltage
Pendulum – Propane nightmares
Prodigy – Voodoo people (Pendulum mix)
Rolling Stones – Paint it black
Monkees – I’m a believer
Van Morrison – Brown eye girl
Supremes – Can’t hurry love
Stevie Wonder – Uptight
Tenacious D - Tribute

The booking was supposed to go on until 12, but we finished at about 11:15pm as lots of people had left early. I suppose this is an advantage of working for another DJ - he realised that there were very few people there and he thought I would be wasting my time. I did carry on a little longer and everyone that was left (about 15 people) danced.

It was kind of strange to watch people in their 50s and 60s dancing to Pendulum and the Prodigy though.

I thoroughly enjoyed it as it was different to other bookings and a lot of the music I used to play in the pub I mentioned earlier.

Danno13
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Great list Darren, throw in a bit of funky house and that would be my perfect night :D

My Wedding last night they wanted a bit of alternative, but unfortunatley it didn't really get that great a reaction so didn't get to play alot of what I normally would have, should they have gone for it! They also wanted to finish the night on 90s dance & trance, which went down better.. and again, strange to see 50-60s raving to insomnia and N-trance!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
throw in a bit of funky house

I'm not absolutely sure they would have appreciated that! :D

Danno13
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Probably not, wasn't suggesting that's what I would have done.. just talking from my own tastes point of view.. but I'm sure you knew that :D

simonp
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
That Background playlist is awesome :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Probably not, wasn't suggesting that's what I would have done.. just talking from my own tastes point of view.. but I'm sure you knew that :D

Indeed. ;)

Shaun
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Great playlist. :) :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
They also asked for a silent DJ for this one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually, when I asked them, what they didn't want was someone rabbiting all over the tunes, which is fair enough.

I still had the 'odd word' which was OK with them. :)

rob1963
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Actually, when I asked them, what they didn't want was someone rabbiting all over the tunes, which is fair enough.

What were the odd words Darren? "Good evening" and "Goodnight"?

:D

yourdj
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
thanks that will be perfect for my new year wedding!

They are all alternative rock heads as ive done two weddings for the same group of people.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
thanks that will be perfect for my new year wedding!

I didn't know you were getting married Toby? :D

Shakermaker Promotions
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Awesome playlist and one that I would be well happy with.
Glad you enjoyed it Darren!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Awesome playlist and one that I would be well happy with.

If I couldn't have done it, I would have been on the phone to either you or Corabar Steve. ;)

NKR
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
That consists of most of my personal music collection.

Mega Mega playlist.

Excalibur
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM

:D

Sounds like you'd have been a tad too garrulous for this gig, Rob. ;) :( :(
Think I'd have got lynched! :eek:
And Soul Banana? :confused: :eek: :eek: How lowbrow Darren. I thought you were above that. :( :( :( :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rob1963
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds like you'd have been a tad too garrulous for this gig, Rob. ;) :( :(

:jawdrop:

Think I'd have got lynched! :eek:

Funnily enough, that's just what I was thinking when reading Darren's post!

:D :D :D

Ryu
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Its frustrating that joe public assumes we only know how to do it one way. Do they honestly think we LIKE playing nothing but Black Lace?!

Most of that playlist would have been an absolute pleasure to play, and the rest a much appreciated break from the norm. I've had to convince one or two customers that we can play it however they want before, and it is great satisfaction to show that, as a DJ, I actually play quite a lot of "Credible" music.

Fair play to you Darren for seizing an opportunity...I'd imagine there would be a chance of a follow up gig or two just by you proving you can handle a playlist like that.

Vectis
02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Do they honestly think we LIKE playing nothing but Black Lace?!

Who? :confused:

Corabar Steve
02-11-2009, 06:14 PM

:DDiscombobulate. That's an odd word

If I couldn't have done it, I would have been on the phone to either you or Corabar Steve. ;)
From the looks of your playlist, I thought you'd had spies at my last few Friday gigs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Imagine dirtying my thread with that! :D

Babybob
02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
You could have finished off with :Censored: push up's by Tenacious D, that would have raised a laugh i'll bet.
;)

Excalibur
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
From the looks of your playlist, I thought you'd had spies at my last few Friday gigs.

Oh no Steve, not you as well. :( :( Two of you playing "Soul Banana" ? I expected so much more from you Steve. :( :( :( :( :(

Ryu
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM

The general public. The assumption that Darren wouldn't be able to handle that playlist (the booker originally wanting to hire just the PA because they wanted a "specific" playlist and would rather DJ it themselves, when in reality, he was more than capable)

Excalibur
02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
The general public. The assumption that Darren wouldn't be able to handle that playlist (the booker originally wanting to hire just the PA because they wanted a "specific" playlist and would rather DJ it themselves, when in reality, he was more than capable)

I'd guess over 90% of us on here are " more than capable". That's the easy bit. The hard part is convincing punters. :bang:

Ryu
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd guess over 90% of us on here are " more than capable". That's the easy bit. The hard part is convincing punters. :bang:

I quite agree!! Its just a shame that we're pigeonholed so readily.

Corabar Entertainment
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM

I quite agree!! Its just a shame that we're pigeonholed so readily.Which takes us straight back to the old discussion that comes up again again and again about selling yourself and convincing the punters that you are a professional and not a 'sixty squid sid' (and I don't want this to turn into another money-related-thread either! :mad: )

Ryu
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Which takes us straight back to the old discussion that comes up again again and again about selling yourself and convincing the punters that you are a professional and not a 'sixty squid sid' (and I don't want this to turn into another money-related-thread either! :mad: )

I know I know. Its an old chestnut. It just keeps coming up time and time again. Your right in what you say....it does at least seperate the men from the (cow)boys.

Excalibur
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Which takes us straight back to the old discussion that comes up again again and again about selling yourself and convincing the punters that you are a professional and not a 'sixty squid sid' (and I don't want this to turn into another money-related-thread either! :mad: )

Well I hope you're not holding your breath. ;) Hmmmm, I can feel a related thread (with poll) coming on. :D

Penfold42
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Good play list...although it's not a genre I feel comfortable with - so will make a note of this.
Thanks.

To cut a long story short, an hour later, they had booked full disco, DJ and uplighting for their wedding. So we started with a £150 P.A hire and ended up with a £700 booking. Why? Because I told them we provide a bespoke service and could do exactly what they wanted, rather than just turning up and hoping for the best!

Sell yourself and what you do - bespoke being the keyword here.

I would never do that....:o :sofa:

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Good play list...although it's not a genre I feel comfortable with - so will make a note of this.
Thanks.

No problem.

That was the idea behind it.

DJMaxG
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
That Background playlist is awesome :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good old DM

what about the rest of it?

simonp
02-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Good old DM

what about the rest of it?

As I said, Awesome :D

Corabar Steve
03-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Oh no Steve, not you as well. :( :( Two of you playing "Soul Banana" ? I expected so much more from you Steve. :( :( :( :( :(
No, but I have been known to play the originals that it uses in it's mix.

Not sure I even own Soul Banana

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-11-2009, 10:06 AM

I didn't up until about 3 months ago. I had some credit with Mastermix digital, so got it there.

I used to play the originals and I hate to admit it, as I dislike most mixes, but it has gone down extremely well every time I've played it.

jeff wood
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Soupdragons – I’m free
Happy Mondays – Step on

you know if you play those the other way around,, you can do a lovely mix...

Corabar Steve
03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Add Soho - Hippychick & you've got a nice little run.

djhago
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm hunting out some of these tunes to listen to right now. It's great when you can do something a wee bit different.

Excalibur
03-11-2009, 10:37 AM

I didn't up until about 3 months ago. I had some credit with Mastermix digital, so got it there.

I used to play the originals and I hate to admit it, as I dislike most mixes, but it has gone down extremely well every time I've played it.

I started to type some (allegedly) witty responses to those, but stopped because in the light of recent exchanges they could have been taken as insulting and/or inflammatory.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of mixes, but there are a couple which can often work particularly well, and Soul Banana is top of the list. The Tight Fit "Back to the Sixties" can either be used selectively, or left to run depending on crowd and circumstances.

Like Darren, I'd rather play the originals in their entirety, and I used to do just that with Jive Bunny "That's what I like", rather than just go for the easy way out.

Mixes can be a very useful tool for us, if used correctly. If used wrongly, they tend to typify a lot of what's bad in this game.

Dunno what came over me there, I think I went all serious!