PDA

View Full Version : Computer Savvy Experts - HELP! - "Limited or no connectivity"

Corabar Entertainment
09-11-2009, 07:13 PM
We have just got ourselves a couple of cheap recon netbooks (DELL Latitude) which are generally only going to be used out and about and away from home to access email & the net, and to run a couple of basic things like word and excel.

However, we would like to also be able to connect to the internet at home wirelessly via our home network so that we cat sit in front of the telly and browse/play. (Just to confirm: router in ne room with PC physically connected; laptop connects wirelessly with no issues already)

Both n etbooks found the wireless network no problem and (after entering the network key) they connected and began "Acquiring network address"... and this is where it all goes horribly wrong!

It comes up with a status of "Limited or no connectivity"

I did a bit of research on the net, which suggested that the problem is that the netbook has been unable to get its IP address from the router in the other room and so Windows has allocated an address in the 169.254.x.x range (instead of 192 address it should have).

The suggested 'problem-fixing' was to do the following:-

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt, type:

IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter.

This will display all of the adapters in the PC together with their details. You should see the network adapter that connects to the "host" PC by crossover cable. Now type:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press Enter.

This should release the IP addresses and set them to 0.0.0.0 Now type:

IPCONFIG /RENEW and press Enter.

This should force the adapters whose addresses have been released to acquire them again and, with luck, you might get a 192.168.0.x address.
...which I have done. However, it hasn't acquired the correct IP address and instead, gives me the message "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Connection 4: Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out"

Again, I have tried doing a bit of research on the net, but so many people are suggesting so many different things, and none of them are explaining it in words of one syllable!

So, in short, I know that the netbook is not acquiring the IP address from the router on the wireless network, but I haven't got a clue how to resolve!

Can anybody suggest (and explain in very detailed terms) what to do to try and sort this out?

JDB Entertainment
09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Have you tried moving your wireless box into the room you are in?

Most of the time with these notebooks is the fact that the wireless capabilitys do not stretch far.

Corabar Entertainment
09-11-2009, 07:50 PM
No - that's not an issue - it's got an excellent signal whether it's next to the router or in the other room. It is picking up the connection fine - just not the IP address to allow full conectivity to the internet

Excalibur
09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
No - that's not an issue - it's got an excellent signal whether it's next to the router or in the other room. It is picking up the connection fine - just not the IP address to allow full conectivity to the internet

Do you have an install CD for the router? Our Livebox had one which configured the PC/lappy automatically.
Have you decided a course of action re dongles and networks, since you were pondering this previously?

Edit: I've re-read the title. Sorry, I'm not qualified to offer advice, please ignore totally.:D :D :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
09-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Do you have an install CD for the router? Our Livebox had one which configured the PC/lappy automatically.
Have you decided a course of action re dongles and networks, since you were pondering this previously?

Edit: I've re-read the title. Sorry, I'm not qualified to offer advice, please ignore totally.:D :D :D :D :D
Nope - router didn't need an 'install' CD to get it up and running in the first place (even if it did, netbooks don't generally have CD/DVD drives :p )

3 dongle's are are arriving tomorrow :D

BeerFunk
09-11-2009, 08:02 PM
First things first - your router must be set up to issue IP addresses to devices connected on the LAN (ie. DHCP is turned on). Secondly, your laptop must be set up to obtain an IP address automatically. Both are usually set up this way by default, but it's something that should be checked first!

Corabar Entertainment
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
OK - now this is sounding a bit more in the right area!!!!

Right, Callum, how do I go about doing that? :p

Excalibur
09-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Nope - router didn't need an 'install' CD to get it up and running in the first place (even if it did, netbooks don't generally have CD/DVD drives :p )

3 dongle's are are arriving tomorrow :D

See, I told you I wasn't qualified. :o Didn't know netbooks were bereft of such drives. :o :o :o :o :o :o ( but I do know that you could copy it onto an USB stick. ;) :p :D :D :D ) And the CD was to configure PC's, not the router itself.

Dongles, did you find a network with suitable coverage for your most regular areas? My new phone tells me when I've got 3G coverage. :eek: :D :D Sadly, my dongle's on a different network. :( :(

BeerFunk
09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
OK - now this is sounding a bit more in the right area!!!!

Right, Callum, how do I go about doing that? :pWell.... it's a bit difficult to explain, but with regards to your router, you'd need to connect to it via it's built in menu - which is nearly always accessible through a standard browser like Internet Explorer. The address tends to be something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, and the default username and password tends to be admin/password. Every menu is different, but you want to look for DHCP, and make sure it's on.

On the laptop, you want to find network connections in the control panel, and edit the properties of your network there. You need to go into the properties for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', and check that the IP address and DNS servers are set to 'obtain automatically'.

discomobiledj
09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Your on Virgin Media?

You need to go into your router settings. There should be a little sticker on the router saying 192.168.0.1 or very similar with a username and password.

All settings can be checked in there.

Although, thinking about this, my sister in law had the same thing and VM just told them to right click on the router/network connection and click enable. Might be worth a call to them as they do set their routers/connection settings up differently to standard ADSL people.

Sapphire Disco
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like there is still some old information from the previous Internet provider left on the computer which is blocking your signal.

Excalibur
09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Well.... it's a bit difficult to explain, but with regards to your router, you'd need to connect to it via it's built in menu - which is nearly always accessible through a standard browser like Internet Explorer. The address tends to be something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, and the default username and password tends to be admin/password. Every menu is different, but you want to look for DHCP, and make sure it's on.

On the laptop, you want to find network connections in the control panel, and edit the properties of your network there. You need to go into the properties for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', and check that the IP address and DNS servers are set to 'obtain automatically'.

Admin/admin on the livebox. 192.168.1.1 if I remember.

BeerFunk
09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
See, I told you I wasn't qualified. :o Didn't know netbooks were bereft of such drives. :o :o :o :o :o :o I bet many have been caught out by that! :D

Although, thinking about this, my sister in law had the same thing and VM just told them to right click on the router/network connection and click enable. Might be worth a call to them as they do set their routers/connection settings up differently to standard ADSL people.Pretty much all ADSL routers are configured the same way, otherwise they wouldn't be compatible with other devices (network drives, media players, Xbox etc)

Admin/admin on the livebox. 192.168.1.1 if I remember.Yes, that is a common one too!

discomobiledj
09-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Pretty much all ADSL routers are configured the same way, otherwise they wouldn't be compatible with other devices (network drives, media players, Xbox etc)

Ah, but VM are not ADSL.

DiscoPromotions
09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Your network key is it WPA/WEP?

If WPA the dell laptops will see the network, but will not connect to it if

A. Not capable of using WPA secure network
B. If your service pack for Windows is not SP2 or above this will cause the same problem

Corabar Entertainment
09-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Just wanted to say that I'm giving up for tonight and starting again tomorrow with this as my brain hurts!

Didn't want anyone to think that I was ignoring them or unappreciative of their efforts :thanks: ..... I'll let you know how I get on.

kilmeedyman
10-11-2009, 12:32 AM
If the Network Key provided for your router contains letters, it may require these to be in capitals if written as capitals.

That message is almost certainly because the key isn't being accepted.

You have my phone number if you need me tomorrow, but I will be asleep until midday (working overnight tonight).

Phil

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2009, 12:59 AM
If the Network Key provided for your router contains letters, it may require these to be in capitals if written as capitals.

You have my phone number if you need me tomorrow, but I will be asleep until midday (working overnight tonight).

Phil

Worth ringing too Angela. Phil has helped me out on more than one occasion with my network. :)

Vectis
10-11-2009, 06:37 AM
I wonder if the DHCP scope is exhausted? ie. too many devices for the width of the range and/or too long lease times?

Marc J
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
What make / model of router have you got?

Do you have any Firewall / Internet Security software installed on the netbook(s)?

Could be down to one (or more) of a few things...check security settings on the router & netbook wireless, IP ranges, DHCP settings, Access Control (by MAC address)...but if you can provide mroe details it'll be easier to help...

Corabar Steve
10-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Your on Virgin Media?No Freenet / Madasafish

What make / model of router have you got?BT Voyager 2110

Do you have any Firewall / Internet Security software installed on the netbook(s)? Firewall turned off, no internet security installed yet.

Could be down to one (or more) of a few things...check security settings on the router & netbook wireless, IP ranges, DHCP settings, Access Control (by MAC address)...but if you can provide mroe details it'll be easier to help...I dare say Angela will be on it again within the hour.

Marc J
10-11-2009, 09:20 AM
BT Voyager 2110

See this thread (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22728). Same router but a different problem, maybe Jeff can help. Also in that thread I posted details of the 2110 configuration, for admin go to (in a browser window): -

voyager.home (won't work if you didn't use the setup CD for the router)
or

username / password may be admin / admin, admin / password, or something else (if it's been changed). If it has been changed any you can't remember what to you'll have to do a factory reset (with it turned on, press the reset button at the back with a paperclip for 5 seconds).

The WEP key should be on a sticker on the base of the router. This is case sensitive.

Look at all the security settings once your in the router admin and post back with anything you're unsure of.

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2009, 12:01 PM
OK...just starting to try again with this today. Thanks everyone for the suggestions thus far!
Well.... it's a bit difficult to explain, but with regards to your router, you'd need to connect to it via it's built in menu - which is nearly always accessible through a standard browser like Internet Explorer. The address tends to be something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, and the default username and password tends to be admin/password. Every menu is different, but you want to look for DHCP, and make sure it's on.Yes, it's on.

On the laptop, you want to find network connections in the control panel, and edit the properties of your network there. You need to go into the properties for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', and check that the IP address and DNS servers are set to 'obtain automatically'.Yep: that's set correctly

Your network key is it WPA/WEP?It's WEP

I wonder if the DHCP scope is exhausted? ie. too many devices for the width of the range and/or too long lease times?Nope - that's not the issue

That message is almost certainly because the key isn't being accepted.Definitely input as case sensitive, and, although it's unlikely that we input it incorrectly in both netbooks, I'll be off to try this again shortly.

PhilThanks Phil.... you may be getting a call shortly!

Could be down to one (or more) of a few things...check security settings on the router & netbook wireless, IP ranges, DHCP settings, Access Control (by MAC address)...but if you can provide mroe details it'll be easier to help...

Look at all the security settings once your in the router admin and post back with anything you're unsure of.Well, I'm not sure about anything! (I tend to learn as I go and then immediately forget things like this!) What further information would be helpful?

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2009, 12:19 PM

PhilMay I please thank everyone here for your help and patience, and also, please ask everyone if they will be character witnesses for me at the trial, as I am about to murder Steve Jones.

Whilst I was reading the key out loud and inputting it at the same time, Steve said to me.... "Oh, is that a '9', I thought it was an 'S'" :Censored: :Censored: :bang: :bang: :bang:

(The thing is, I got him to read it out loud to me the first 4 times - 2x each netbook - as I have a tendancy to transpose letters/numbers when there is a long string of them)

Time for a trip to the opticians, Mr Jones! :mad: (He is now blaming the lighting)

Everything connecting beautifully now:D

Corabar Steve
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Should've gone to Specsavers ! :sj:

BeerFunk
10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorted! :) I know how frustrating these things can be!

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Sorted! :) I know how frustrating these things can be!Substitute the word "Steve" in there and I will agree :lol:

Once again, thank you so much! :thanks:

(Disappointed that no-one has stepped forward offering to be a character witnewss for me at the murder trial though :p )

Excalibur
10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Substitute the word "Steve" in there and I will agree :lol:

Once again, thank you so much! :thanks:

(Disappointed that no-one has stepped forward offering to be a character witnewss for me at the murder trial though :p )

If you can get twelve MDD members on the jury, you're home free. :D

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
:lol:

Excalibur
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Erm, you do of course realise that if you had used an USB stick to transfer the settings, as suggested by someone here, ( I forget who, but he seemed very clever :D ) Steve's hindrance would have been nullified? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Nope. Key needed to be input manually. Steve did try re-establishing a network by copying settings onto a stick :p :p :p

Corabar Steve
10-11-2009, 06:59 PM
But I couldn't see it. :sj:

Excalibur
10-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Nope. Key needed to be input manually. Steve did try re-establishing a network by copying settings onto a stick :p :p :p

Oh. I'll keep quiet then. :zip: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o