PDA

View Full Version : help! need a new amp

jankow777
10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi folks, i`m currently using a pair of peavey pro 15`s with a small peavey mixer amp for smallish venues, up to 100 people. would like to upgrade to a power amp. as i`ve never used this kind of set up before, would like some advice on what make/size of amp to go for. i`ve got a budget of about £250-£300.
cheers

A1DL
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Your speakers are rated 300w at 4 ohms.
Look for an amplifier rated 450w to 600w per channel at 4 ohms, that will be a perfect match.

Sapphire Disco
10-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I think this would be a good choice and well in budget

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40638-behringer-ep2000-professional-stereo-power-amplifier-.html

Tom
10-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Your speakers are rated 300w at 4 ohms.
Look for an amplifier rated 450w to 600w per channel at 4 ohms, that will be a perfect match.

Agree!

I think this would be a good choice and well in budget

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40638-behringer-ep2000-professional-stereo-power-amplifier-.html

Also agree.

Could even have a look at this - http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm :)

jankow777
10-11-2009, 11:02 PM
cheers guys. was looking at behringer.also QSC and crown. any thoughts on these. the QSC GX3 and the Crown XLS 402.

DJ Jules
11-11-2009, 06:37 AM
cheers guys. was looking at behringer.also QSC and crown. any thoughts on these. the QSC GX3 and the Crown XLS 402.

The Berry is a good amp. I'd personally avoid the Thomann Amps (purely from a customer service point of view). If you have the money for a QSC or Crown amp - go for it, you won't regret it!

Julian

sted
11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
i have a w-audio da 1300 for sale brand new if ur interested

DJ Jules
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
i have a w-audio da 1300 for sale brand new if ur interested

I have two of these and can recommend them and it'll more than do your requirements. However, I will say that the QSC and Crown amps will always be better if you have the budget for them.

Julian

jankow777
11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
thanks guys. appreciate your help. i`ve decided to go for the QSC GX3. found one on the Blue Aran site.
I was hoping to use my peavey mp600 mixer amp as a mixer. is it possible to do this. there is a single mains output on the front.

DJ Jules
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM
thanks guys. appreciate your help. i`ve decided to go for the QSC GX3. found one on the Blue Aran site.
I was hoping to use my peavey mp600 mixer amp as a mixer. is it possible to do this. there is a single mains output on the front.

Pass? Does it have XLR or Phono line level outputs?

Julian

jankow777
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
you got me there mate! all i know is that is a 1/4" unbalanced out put

Shakermaker Promotions
11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I can fully recommend the Crown XLS series. I have 2 of the XLS802 amps and they are excellent.

Just a jest aswell but I am surprised A1 didn't have a heart attack when he mentioned the 'P' word.

jankow777
11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
the amp has 6 channels with either XLR or 1/4" outputs. the 7th channel has 2 x 1/4" and a RCA (tape) summed.

DJ Jules
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
you got me there mate! all i know is that is a 1/4" unbalanced out put

That'll do then. Unbalanced 1/4" jack to 1/4" Unbalanced jack on the amp I'd imagine. Just don't use the powered outputs on the back of the mixer and bear in mind you're lugging around a lot more weight than you need to...

Julian

Excalibur
11-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Could even have a look at this - http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm :)
Err 1200w per side into 4ohms. That's an awful lot of headroom Tom! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can fully recommend the Crown XLS series. I have 2 of the XLS802 amps and they are excellent.

Just a jest aswell but I am surprised A1 didn't have a heart attack when he mentioned the 'P' word.
Read it again mate. ;) He couldn't bring himself to say the word. :D :D :D

That'll do then. Unbalanced 1/4" jack to 1/4" Unbalanced jack on the amp I'd imagine. Just don't use the powered outputs on the back of the mixer and bear in mind you're lugging around a lot more weight than you need to...

Julian
In the old days, it was bad practice to run an amp without a load. Tony may give us chapter and verse as to why it seems less important nowadays, but I'd make three points.
1) 1/4" stereo jack to two mono 1/4" jacks is the easiest cable for the job
2) Turn all volume controls down for the master output. You don't want to be running the amp for nothing.
3) Keep the mixer amp solely for backup, as I do. Even a cheap DJ mixer from Craplins is better to use than a cumbersome mixer amp.

NKR
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a Crown XLS 602 and its very good, I would recommend it.
I also have a QSC RMX2450, which is also very good.

Would recommend both and they are both the right sort of size for your application.

Excalibur
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a Crown XLS 602 and its very good, I would recommend it.
I also have a QSC RMX2450, which is also very good.

Would recommend both and they are both the right sort of size for your application.

They undoubtedly are, but are they the right sort of price for the OP? :confused:

DiscoTed
11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Get yourself a budget crown or take alook at the c-mark range!, cheers

NKR
They undoubtedly are, but are they the right sort of price for the OP? :confused:

Ask not if it is the right price, but ask first if it is the right piece of kit for the job. If it is then use ones credit card and do one more gig to pay it off.

False economy cheap amps.

jankow777
hi guys, please advise. the QSC amp i was planning puts out 2x500 watts at 4omms. does this mean 500watts per channel, and would this be enough for my speakers.
cheers guys.

DiscoTed
11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Ask not if it is the right price, but ask first if it is the right piece of kit for the job. If it is then use ones credit card and do one more gig to pay it off.

false economy cheap amps, i guess you run high end amps ?

Excalibur
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Get yourself a budget crown or take alook at the c-mark range!, cheers
Agreed totally. Excellent amps.

And not simply a status symbol.
Cheap amps are an unreliable and unsuitable waste of money.
Spending money simply to get a nice badge may compromise funding for something else.
There are plenty of budget amps with glowing references from satisfied users on here. Warrior and C Mark ( and its Thomann cousins) spring to mind immediately. Behringer have their advocates, I use a KAM which performs adequately for what it is, and I'm sure I've missed some off the list.

DiscoTed
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I known people running c-mark, kam, numark, beringer, crown and cerwin amps, i,d say all are good ampilifers to be honest! why spend 600quid on an amp then you might need more!.

600 could get you an good amp plus a new mixer!!!

Shakermaker Promotions
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
£600.00 could well get you an amp and a mixer but at the end of the day, I think it's worth paying for quality and something that will be both powerful enough and last. That's why I went for Crown but each to their own (and yes, I'm waiting for someone to say that Crown are 'entry level' or 'budget').

Tom
11-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Err 1200w per side into 4ohms. That's an awful lot of headroom Tom! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You can never have too much headroom. ;):D

Excalibur
11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
You can never have too much headroom. ;):D

Well since we were looking for an amp of around 500w per side for a pair of 300w cabs, in this case, I'd say you've got way too much. :p :D :D :D

A1DL
11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Well since we were looking for an amp of around 500w per side for a pair of 300w cabs, in this case, I'd say you've got way too much. :p :D :D :D

Trim the outputs by 3dB on the LMS to draw no more than 600w at 0dB, just to be on the safe side.

Excalibur
12-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Trim the outputs by 3dB on the LMS to draw no more than 600w at 0dB, just to be on the safe side.

Tony, while you are of course absolutely correct in what you say, in the world some of us inhabit where the main protection device is the right index finger on the master output fader, that amp's too big. ;) :D :D

A1DL
12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
in the world some of us inhabit where the main protection device is the right index finger

:Laugh:

DiscoTed
12-11-2009, 01:06 PM
£600.00 could well get you an amp and a mixer but at the end of the day, I think it's worth paying for quality and something that will be both powerful enough and last. That's why I went for Crown but each to their own (and yes, I'm waiting for someone to say that Crown are 'entry level' or 'budget').

But i have noticed that crown are targeting the lesser end of their market these days, same with the likes of vestex

This must be telling us something ?

A1DL
12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
But i have noticed that crown are targeting the lesser end of their market these days, same with the likes of vestex

This must be telling us something ?

It's the same in many industries, companies need to broaden their offering to appeal to a wider marketplace. Like BMW's 1 series or Mercedes' A-Class.

A potential buyer has to decide whether they are paying over the odds for a badge or whether the R&D that has gone into the manufacturers' legendary products is reflected in their newer entry level offerings.

As a rule of thumb, if the entry level range comes out of the same factory as the more expensive and well respected product, then that's fair play.

What's not good is if (for example) the budget gear comes from China and the real deal from Germany or the UK. Then you are just paying for a badge and you'd be better to save your money and buy another generic PRC export.

DiscoTed
12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
It's the same in many industries, companies need to broaden their offering to appeal to a wider marketplace. Like BMW's 1 series or Mercedes' A-Class.

A potential buyer has to decide whether they are paying over the odds for a badge or whether the R&D that has gone into the manufacturers' legendary products is reflected in their newer entry level offerings.

As a rule of thumb, if the entry level range comes out of the same factory as the more expensive and well respected product, then that's fair play.

What's not good is if (for example) the budget gear comes from China and the real deal from Germany or the UK. Then you are just paying for a badge and you'd be better to save your money and buy another generic PRC export.

Most probley designed in the uk and put together in the uk, but wheres the parts from ?, most probley the largest exporter of goods in the world and thats china!

everything we have in this world china comes to play somewhere or another

Excalibur
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM

:bowdown: Tony, you've just summed up perfectly so much of what I've been trying to convey on here for ages. Thanks.