PDA

View Full Version : A Good Idea?

Gareth
11-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,

I just had an idea and wonted to know what you thought of it. Now don't get me wrong this may have already been done and maybe readily avalible but I have never seen it.

With technology advancing and alot of people wonting the hotest mobile device on the market, the majority of devices have an internet browser. Quite a few (including iPhones, blackburys) have even full internet browsing capabilities.

When it comes to song selection for karaoke songs, I was thinking about what it would be like to create a website essentially for browsing through karaoke song lists. This would include a search facility making it easier to find the song you were after. The layout, design and resolution would be alot smaller than usual making it easier to view on a mobile device. All you would need to do is put the web address on the tables (and make sure it is a small easy domain e.g. www.ptwnkara.com.)

As time was to move on you could even make this a full interactive service where they can submit this over the web and you could recieve it on a netbook which would have the usual details (name, song, number etc.)

Being in an audience would you feel this took away the fun or even the communication between guest and DJ?

Just an idea let me know what you think!

Gareth

Jack
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Gareth

I think in principle it is a good concept, however I think the main problem you have here is that not everyone has internet enabled mobile phones and even less have contracts with internet access. If this system was run alongside paper slips then this would be better, so everyone can contribute, not just those with internet enabled mobile phones. It may also risk losing communication between the DJ and the customers.
Just my views on it,
Thanks
Jack

Shakermaker Promotions
11-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Good idea in theory but Jack has said what I was going to say.

It's funny actually because I do a fortnightly Karaoke night at a local venue on a friday. They also have another Karaoke guy there on a sunday night. Both of us use different set up's and it was actually a punter that told me the other week. I have books and slips out on the tables in the traditional style but the other guy just lets people come to him and tell him what they want to sing. I found out that he uses PCDJVJ and just types the name in to the search facility. I like the sound of that but I also like the way that people have something in their hands to browse and there is also the interraction as said above.

Gareth
11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
That was was I was thinking to be honest with the whole slips and internet thing. I might run this as a concept to see what happens but definatley with the slips still out. As said the one thing that I am worried about is losing the communcation with guests.

I will make a prototype and see what happens I think.

Gareth

Excalibur
12-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Good idea in theory but Jack has said what I was going to say.

It's funny actually because I do a fortnightly Karaoke night at a local venue on a friday. They also have another Karaoke guy there on a sunday night. Both of us use different set up's and it was actually a punter that told me the other week. I have books and slips out on the tables in the traditional style but the other guy just lets people come to him and tell him what they want to sing. I found out that he uses PCDJVJ and just types the name in to the search facility. I like the sound of that but I also like the way that people have something in their hands to browse and there is also the interraction as said above.

And with the near genius IQ levels of some punters who cannot understand that there are slips of paper to write on, they still come up and just ask for a song. :eek: Beats me how some of them remember to breathe. :confused:

The_Blue_Dragon
19-11-2009, 01:41 PM
What I do is is still use books and slips but if people can't be bothered to find the pens as the always end up going walkies is I show my number and on the scren when noone is singing I have text saying to just text me the song they would like to sing and their name.

Text requests seem to be very popular and after I text back with a thankyou and my number

NKR
19-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Beats me how some of them remember to breathe. :confused:

I know nature is a sod and made that a reflex.

How much easier things would be if these folks did actually forget to breath.

Gareth
19-11-2009, 01:49 PM
How much easier things would be if these folks did actually forget to breath.

Aha but how many gigs would you get without them?:p

Gareth