PDA

View Full Version : Problem with attachments

rob1963
23-11-2009, 07:21 PM
When I tried to attach a website screenshot to a post earlier today, it merely came up as a small white box with a red cross in, even though the file opens with no problems where I have it stored on my computer.

Can someone please check my account & settings, in case there is something wrong, as I had a similar problem a while back, and at that time somebody eventually noticed there was something wrong with one of the tick boxes in my account settings.

Thanks in advance.

Jiggles
23-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Post it here what you were wanting to put up. How you were doing it as it seems to be a common problem.

rob1963
23-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Callum,

You can see the problem in post 15 of the following thread. It is also referred to in posts 17 18 19 & 20:

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23394&page=2

Jiggles
23-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Don't use the [ATTACH] [ /ATTACH] tags and it will be fine.

RICHIE!! We have another problem!

Shaun
23-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Can someone please check my account & settings, in case there is something wrong, as I had a similar problem a while back, and at that time somebody eventually noticed there was something wrong with one of the tick boxes in my account settings.

All seem to be correct.

rob1963
23-11-2009, 07:34 PM

RICHIE!! We have another problem!

How do I upload attachments then?

Corabar Entertainment
23-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Showing up fine.

rob1963
23-11-2009, 07:35 PM
All seem to be correct.

The post in question is fine now, Shaun, because Callum worked his magic on it...although I have no idea what he did or how I can upload attachments in future.

DJWilson
23-11-2009, 07:40 PM
The post in question is fine now, Shaun, because Callum worked his magic on it...although I have no idea what he did or how I can upload attachments in future.

Above your post where it offers you to change font/colour click the paperclip next to the :) icon and upload your file(s).

Jiggles
23-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Just upload them and don't do anything as they are automatically attached to the end of the post.

rob1963
23-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Above your post where it offers you to change font/colour click the paperclip next to the :) icon and upload your file(s).

That's what I was doing!

They were uploading fine, but just weren't showing up with my posts.

Just upload them and don't do anything as they are automatically attached to the end of the post.

Thanks Callum, I'll give that a go next time I need to attach something to a post.

DJWilson
23-11-2009, 07:45 PM
That's what I was doing!

They were uploading fine, but just weren't showing up with my posts.

Works for me :confused:

Jiggles
23-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I have what's causing your problem sussed Rob. :sj:

Corabar Steve
23-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Callum is correct

If you use the manage attachments button in the advanced posting options Like everybody else does.rather than trying to use your own[ ] code tags it will post every time, unless it's too big.

Alternately, host it on something like ImageShack & use the insert image button in the reply box (on the same row as the B I U buttons, supposed to look like the sun rising over 2 mountains, in reality looks like 2 triangles & a small circle)

rob1963
23-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I have what's causing your problem sussed Rob. :sj:

Whoaaaa cool...does that mean I can upload attachments in the normal way & they'll appear properly on the forum now?

Jiggles
23-11-2009, 08:01 PM
No use the way I have said until we can get Richie in.

rob1963
23-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Okay.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Corabar Steve
23-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Or alternately use the way that everyone else dose as I outlined above

Corabar Steve
23-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Same method as I said only the route is different.

I have experienced problems using the paperclip, which is why I said to go via manage attachments.

NKR
23-11-2009, 08:59 PM
What happened to my pictures in the Speakers thread. They came up as white boxes with x's.
Apologies if I have just asked something really stupid, but when anything IT happens at work I call IT and they just come fix it, so I am now really IT pants.

Corabar Steve
23-11-2009, 09:05 PM
How did you attach them?

NKR
23-11-2009, 09:06 PM
How did you attach them?

I used the paperclip symbol.

Corabar Steve
23-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Try my way in future. I've never (to my knowledge) had one disappear by going in that way. Even though it is in effect doing the same thing.

Obviously a little quirk in the forum.

Richie
23-11-2009, 09:24 PM
All sorted and fixed now, cheers Callum for finding the problem for me :)

Penfold42
23-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Ah.....now I know. :)

Jiggles
23-11-2009, 09:36 PM
All sorted and fixed now, cheers Callum for finding the problem for me :)

No Problem Richie :)

DJMaxG
12-12-2009, 11:00 PM
What I would like to know is :

What happens when my attachement limit is full?

Do I have to delete pictures, use IMG Code instead, or will admit grant me a higher limit?

Shaun
13-12-2009, 02:38 AM

Do I have to delete pictures, use IMG Code instead, or will admit grant me a higher limit?

There are no attachment limits as far as I'm aware.

DJMaxG
13-12-2009, 10:29 AM
There are no attachment limits as far as I'm aware.

___

Corabar Steve
13-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Automatic life time ban for filling the forum up with rubbish :sj:

Shaun
13-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Image Added

I stand corrected.

I've just checked and there are no restrictions....except for those in the Sin Bin. There's really no need for that restriction, especially as the posts are moderated, so I've removed the attachment limitiation for you.

Automatic life time ban for filling the forum up with rubbish :sj:

That's half the membership then....you and me included. :d

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I THINK(???) I want to add some pics....

I have moved my pictures from my phone to the pictures section on my laptop.I try to add the pictures using the manage attatchment button on the thread.

I have a little box that says upload failed.I have installed a programme that came with the camera called Fine Pix viewer or something....will that help.

Absolutely useless with anything like this!!

Can somebody help please??

Off to work so can't tackle the problem till tonight.....

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2010, 10:35 AM
When you've done 'Manage Attachments' 'Browse' 'Upload', what exactly does the error message say? Can you give a screen shot please?

Also, what type of images are they? (gif, jpg, etc?)

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 11:41 AM
When you've done 'Manage Attachments' 'Browse' 'Upload', what exactly does the error message say? Can you give a screen shot please?

Also, what type of images are they? (gif, jpg, etc?)

Angie.....appreciate you trying to help but bit of a bad time at the mo.Would love some help tonight if you're about tho.;) ;)

You're going to have to be a bit patient tho.....like you were with the multiquote!!:eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2010, 11:46 AM
No problem Martin.... just come back when you're ready and I'll see what I can do. :)

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
No problem Martin.... just come back when you're ready and I'll see what I can do. :)

Angie....I'm back now .....if you don't mind helping??

Thought it best to keep it public in case anyone else struggles.

At my Laptop....the camera is plugged into a usb port....next step please??;)

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Sorry Martin.... are you saying you don't know how to get photos off your camera on to the computer?

To be able to upload, you will need to have them on your computer to start with (or online, but that's another story!)

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Sorry Martin.... are you saying you don't know how to get photos off your camera on to the computer?

To be able to upload, you will need to have them on your computer to start with (or online, but that's another story!)

The camera came with a programme called Fine Pix Viewer......I can see all the pictures on that programme Angie!!

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
OK..... can you go into that and still see them when the camera is NOT attached? (ie are they on your computer, not just viewing through the computer from your camera?)

Assuming they are on your computer, you need to find out where on your computer they are (ie which folder they are in). If you can't work it out, or not sure how to find out, I would suggest that you do a search for the filename of the picture. Take note of the filepath of where it's located.

Let me know when you've got that far!

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
OK..... can you go into that and still see them when the camera is NOT attached? (ie are they on your computer, not just viewing through the computer from your camera?)

Assuming they are on your computer, you need to find out where on your computer they are (ie which folder they are in). If you can't work it out, or not sure how to find out, I would suggest that you do a search for the filename of the picture. Take note of the filepath of where it's located.

Let me know when you've got that far!

Angie the photo I want to add has the following descriptors on it...

DSCF0070JPG.......4000X3000.....saved to Fine Pix ViewerS 2010-0223....are any of them numbers any good??

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Martin, tbh, the advice you're asking for here isn't really about uploading a picture to the forum, since a pre-requisite of that is that you have a picture to upload and that you know where it is!

DSCF0070JPG will be the name of the file

4000X3000 will be the size (in pixels).... so after you've found where it's saved, you'll need to resize it, as that is far too large to post to the forum.

I suggest:

Start>Search>Pictures, Music or Video> Type DSCF0070 into the box where it asks you for the filename, then click 'Search'.

This will show you where on your computer the file is saved.

Next, you should make a copy of it (as I assume you don't want to muck about with the original) and save it wherever you want, calling it whatever you want (so long as you remember where and what!). Once you've done that, you can then re-size the copy you have just made. To be able to upload it to the forum, it must not exceed 976.6 KB in size, or 620 x 280 pixels. (There are loads of threads on here about re-sizing photos giving explanations of how to do this depending on what programs you have / want to use, and you can choose the way that best suits you).

Once you have a picture, we can go through uploading it if you're still having problems

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Martin, tbh, the advice you're asking for here isn't really about uploading a picture to the forum, since a pre-requisite of that is that you have a picture to upload and that you know where it is!

DSCF0070JPG will be the name of the file

4000X3000 will be the size (in pixels).... so after you've found where it's saved, you'll need to resize it, as that is far too large to post to the forum.

I suggest:

Start>Search>Pictures, Music or Video> Type DSCF0070 into the box where it asks you for the filename, then click 'Search'.

This will show you where on your computer the file is saved.

Next, you should make a copy of it (as I assume you don't want to much about with the original) and save it wherever you want, calling it whatever you want (so long as you remember where and what!). Once you've done that, you can then re-size the copy you have just made. To be able to upload it to the forum, it must not exceed 976.6 KB in size, or 620 x 280 pixels. (There are loads of threads on here about re-sizing photos giving explanations of how to do this depending on what programs you have / want to use, and you can choose the way that best suits you).

Once you have a picture, we can go through uploading it if you're still having problems

Learning new skills here......On my desktop I know have a 320 by 200 image of what I want to add!!

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
GREAT!

Now, to post to the forum:

When you click 'New Post', type in everything you want to as you normally would, then scroll down the page.

Under 'Additional Options', you'll see 'Manage Attachments'. Click that. A pop up window will appear.

Click 'Browse'.

Find the picture, 'Open' then 'Upload'. close the pop-up window, and submit your post..... voila!

Corabar Steve
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Or click the paperclip icon to get to the same stage as clicking on "manage attachments"

*Note: Neither of these options are available in quick reply mode, you have to click on "Post Reply" to get to either one, or if you have typed in the quick reply box click on "Go Advanced"

StarZSoundS
01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Or click the paperclip icon to get to the same stage as clicking on "manage attachments"

*Note: Neither of these options are available in quick reply mode, you have to click on "Post Reply" to get to either one, or if you have typed in the quick reply box click on "Go Advanced"

Cooking on gas now.....I think.......

:eek: :eek: :eek: