PDA

View Full Version : Time For An Upgrade

+Scooby+
03-06-2006, 08:50 AM
We keep a set of JBL TR125’s around for kid’s parties and smaller gigs and as I have a fresh quarter’s budget for kit I am looking to upgrade these to something from the EON range to improve quality and reduce weight.

So who’s is offering the best value on JBL?
Is there a better alternative

The budget is around £500+. Incidentally I have some JBL TR125’s for sale that sound great.

A1DL
03-06-2006, 11:35 AM
The EONs are IMHO not a good choice. I have heard several different sets of EONs in different surroundings and each time have been unimpressed. In fact, if they didn't have a JBL badge on them, you'd never think they were JBLs, and the fact they DO have a JBL badge on them, you expect a better sound.

I'd have a look at the Mackie SRM450s, quite a few of our DJs use them and swear by them. Also have a word with Daz (Solitaire), I'm sure he will be of similar opinion.

Tony

Danno13
03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
The Carlsbro Gamma range also sound better than the JBL Eons (In my opinion of course). A pair of 12" actives will cost you about £500, 15" ones for £600.

gillo
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
how much do you want for the jbl tr125s

+Scooby+
06-06-2006, 02:50 PM
how much do you want for the jbl tr125s

I will have a ponder and post back shortly :)

+Scooby+
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I will have a ponder and post back shortly :)

How does £250.00 including carriage sound?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2006, 02:12 PM
The EONs are IMHO not a good choice. I have heard several different sets of EONs in different surroundings and each time have been unimpressed. In fact, if they didn't have a JBL badge on them, you'd never think they were JBLs, and the fact they DO have a JBL badge on them, you expect a better sound.

I'd have a look at the Mackie SRM450s, quite a few of our DJs use them and swear by them. Also have a word with Daz (Solitaire), I'm sure he will be of similar opinion.

Tony

Yup :teeth:

gillo
08-06-2006, 05:16 PM
the eons more then anything are only good for low volume application like back yard studios and things like that, i agree on the gamma range crackin powerful speaker and quite lightweight and very clear speaker

Wolfie
08-06-2006, 05:25 PM
the eons more then anything are only good for low volume application like back yard studios and things like that, i agree on the gamma range crackin powerful speaker and quite lightweight and very clear speaker

To be honest Gillo, if you are in a band & want some backline or want to run a music bar or restaurant with background music or if you want to buy JBL speakers for karaoke singing then go for the Eons. they are a good speaker don't get me wrong, just not the best out there when it comes to playing recorded music at discos.

The Gamma's are a superb speaker, I'm fussy with speakers but i have to say i'm most impressed with the gamma range & tempted to get a complete Gamme set-up (but knowing me i'd pull them to bits & doctor them). Plus they are usually fitted with Celestion drivers as well which is a plus in my book.

gillo
08-06-2006, 05:30 PM
the srm 450 are a nice speaker as well bit expensive though i guess you get what you pay for, ver popular with solo singers and small groups because of their portability and high output but then again they are 450+ each

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
the srm 450 are a nice speaker as well bit expensive though i guess you get what you pay for, ver popular with solo singers and small groups because of their portability and high output but then again they are 450+ each

Unless you get a bargain on Ebay like I did :)

gillo
08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
how much you get them for?

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
how much you get them for?

£770 for a pair brand new. :)

colinm345
08-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I still swear by,and usually do the DB Powered Speakers ,made in the same factory as Mackie,or so I am led to believe

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/speakers/db/opera415

gillo
08-06-2006, 10:14 PM
that is the joy of having active speakers because you no the right amplifier is suited to that specific driver and you no that youcannot possibly outbeat the iternal amplifier from a external amplifier

BeerFunk
09-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Seriously considering trading in my heavy Peavey UL-15s and Numark Dimension amp for a pair of Mackie's or DBs....

...mind you, I really can't imagine getting the same quality sound! I'm just lazy, and can't be bothered carrying them about :embarasse

colinm345
09-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Seriously considering trading in my heavy Peavey UL-15s and Numark Dimension amp for a pair of Mackie's or DBs....

...mind you, I really can't imagine getting the same quality sound! I'm just lazy, and can't be bothered carrying them about :embarasse

Callam

You will get the same sort of sound with either the Mackies or DBs :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Callam

You will get the same sort of sound with either the Mackies or DBs :teeth:

(Although the Mackies are slightly better.... :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: )

Corabar Steve
09-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Back 5 minutes & allready bangin on about Mackies! :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
UL15s--I didnt buy those for a reason---I know--too heavy!

Instead I use the Pro15s tops for small gigs and add the Pro Subs for bigger jobs or functions in Wendy Houses ( know what I mean Wolfie and Pauline! )

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K

Wolfie
09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
( know what I mean Wolfie and Pauline! )

LOL yes i remember.

Crazy K is another DJ who blows the theory of "you can't get a pint in a half pint pot" clean out of the water.

:teeth:

colinm345
09-06-2006, 12:59 PM
(Although the Mackies are slightly better.... :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: ) :omg: Perhaps you need a hearing test? :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-06-2006, 01:44 PM
:omg: Perhaps you need a hearing test? :teeth:

<looks for the blowing a raspberry smilie... :) )

Wolfie
09-06-2006, 02:10 PM

I'd stick my neck on the line & say if you stuck the Mackies & the dB's side to side & then set them up the same way, you'd not notice any difference at all between the operas & the Mackies. I have heard Colin's system & although i was a bit aprehensive i was impressed with them & you really can tell they come from the same mould as the RCF / Mackie family where i was expecting them to sound a bit flat & not as bright.. a bit like if you compare Dynacord to Peavey.

Although a lot of people go on about how good/bad speakers are etc etc yet the one thing almost everyone overlooks is the simple fact your sound system will only sound as good as it's weakest link & the speakers will not improve the sound if you have crap plugged into them... yes you may have £700 speakers but if you have a £10 end-of-line-at-makro CD player connected to them it will just sound like a £10 system, so it will not improve anything, so if your sound equipment is good your speakers will sound good.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen DJ's bang on about good speakers & how good their speakers are then you see them wired up to an old amp that looks like it has been retrieved from a skip & a load of old argos tat for players & a mixer that looks like it should have "moulinex" stamped on the side, yet often if you have some top notch gear hooked up to a pair of Gemini GSM's (which really are dire) then the Gemini's will often produce a much better sound than the £1500 JBL's connected to the Argos special.

Corabar Steve
09-06-2006, 03:56 PM
So say Confucious :teeth:

+Scooby+
23-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Well it’s getting close to buy time now and I am still undecided, the only thing that I know for sure is that I am going active.

Mackie
RCF
Carlsbro
Are the short list, and I would prefer a 15" rather than 12". The original criteria has changed a little as I want to add bass bins. This gives me an easy setup for smaller venues and chuck in the bass bins for larger stuff giving me a more flexible package.

I have obviously been to the manufacturer’s websites and read all the specifications but I have never heard a set of RCF speakers perform, are they any good. I have since listened to a set of Carlsbro and Mackie and found little discernable difference so how do they compare to RCF?

Paul James Promotions
23-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Didn't like the PD's then? :teeth:

+Scooby+
23-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Didn't like the PD's then? :teeth:

If you are on about the drivers, then yes I am a convert, I now own 4 PD186's and they are awesome. The other stuff is for smaller gigs and wedding bashing.

colinm345
23-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Well it’s getting close to buy time now and I am still undecided, the only thing that I know for sure is that I am going active.

Mackie
RCF
Carlsbro
Are the short list, and I would prefer a 15" rather than 12". The original criteria has changed a little as I want to add bass bins. This gives me an easy setup for smaller venues and chuck in the bass bins for larger stuff giving me a more flexible package.

I have obviously been to the manufacturer’s websites and read all the specifications but I have never heard a set of RCF speakers perform, are they any good. I have since listened to a set of Carlsbro and Mackie and found little discernable difference so how do they compare to RCF?

Again I swear by my DB speakers ,made alongside RCF&Mackie

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/products/data/OPERA%20MODULAR%20E3.pdf

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/images/news/PlaymusicDBTechAugust.pdf

soundtracker
23-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I can thoroughly recommend the Martin Mach M-flex 15s best money I've ever spent!

ian8limelight
23-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Before I bought my pair of Mackie SRM450's, I put them up against a pair of RCF's and there was a radical difference in sound quality in the Mackie's; the RCF's sounded tinny and distorted.

The following seems to be the only pair on E-Bay (UK)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mackie-SRM-450-Professional-Speaker-Powered_W0QQitemZ220000350651QQcategoryZ23794QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

colinm345
23-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Before I bought my pair of Mackie SRM450's, I put them up against a pair of RCF's and there was a radical difference in sound quality in the Mackie's; the RCF's sounded tinny and distorted.

The following seems to be the only pair on E-Bay (UK)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mackie-SRM-450-Professional-Speaker-Powered_W0QQitemZ220000350651QQcategoryZ23794QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

looks good but looking at ebay their appears to be only one and not 2 ?:)

ian8limelight
23-06-2006, 08:53 PM
looks good but looking at ebay their appears to be only one and not 2 ?:)

My apologies, it was only a quick search !!