PDA

View Full Version : New location for old scam

robbiedj
03-06-2006, 03:50 PM
OK, folks, just got a new enquiry via e-mail.

Good day,Robin Earl
How is business?
I am Mr Mark Morrison from United State and i am organising a
birthday party for my daughter's that will be 23 yrs old.Her s name is
Brandy Morrison and the party will take place at my house in Waltham Forest UK. Pls
let me know the areas you cover in Waltham Forest UK.
I found your advertistment on the website, so i will like to
know if you are still available for the date which is AUG 12th
Also, let me know your price for the service on that date cos
you will take time for a good service and bring along your equipment .
the party will start by 12 noon and end up by 4 pm in the evening. Also
let me know the cost of the service for 4 hours.
Pls Kindly get back to me with the name and address to be issued
on payment so that i can arrange with my company in the UK to send you
a Cheque as soon as we clearify with exact
cost.
Payment will be cleared by your bank before the date of the event.
pls email me here only.
I await your email today.
NOTE...I just want you to understand that the maximum number of guest should not exceed 60-70 people.nice Musics , should be avaliable..
best regard
mark morrison

[email protected]

They appear to have moved to Brazil now. :teeth:

Anyone want to take the booking. Afraid we have a wedding that day. :rolleyes:

I think you should quote at least £1500 + expenses. :teeth:

reemicks disco
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
We had the same today, same daughter, same date, same time, but for his house in Mudesley uk, seems like they are going to have loads of partys, all on the same day, he must have a really fast car.

ian8limelight
03-06-2006, 04:03 PM
OK, folks, just got a new enquiry via e-mail.

Good day,Robin Earl
How is business?
I am Mr Mark Morrison from United State and i am organising a
birthday party for my daughter's that will be 23 yrs old.Her s name is
Brandy Morrison and the party will take place at my house in Waltham Forest UK. Pls
let me know the areas you cover in Waltham Forest UK.
I found your advertistment on the website, so i will like to
know if you are still available for the date which is AUG 12th
Also, let me know your price for the service on that date cos
you will take time for a good service and bring along your equipment .
the party will start by 12 noon and end up by 4 pm in the evening. Also
let me know the cost of the service for 4 hours.
Pls Kindly get back to me with the name and address to be issued
on payment so that i can arrange with my company in the UK to send you
a Cheque as soon as we clearify with exact
cost.
Payment will be cleared by your bank before the date of the event.
pls email me here only.
I await your email today.
NOTE...I just want you to understand that the maximum number of guest should not exceed 60-70 people.nice Musics , should be avaliable..
best regard
mark morrison

[email protected]

They appear to have moved to Brazil now. :teeth:

Anyone want to take the booking. Afraid we have a wedding that day. :rolleyes:

I think you should quote at least £1500 + expenses. :teeth:

MMM, here we go again.

However, how about 'Return of the Mack' for the sender !!!!!!!!!!????????????

Corabar Entertainment
03-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Got same as well (but for Barnet, obviously). Just deleted it (as usual).

Corabar Steve
04-06-2006, 01:59 AM
From the United State which one I wonder?

robbiedj
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
From the United State which one I wonder?

Well, the e-mail address is Brazil and the language at bottom Portugese. I must have missed the news report of G,W. taking over Brazil as 51st state! :teeth:

reemicks disco
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
We emailed this bloke asking him if he thinks all DJ's are prats, also asked him how he could be in lots of different places at the same time. We wished him well finding a DJ
This bloke wanted a reply back so that's the reply he got back from us

Wolfie
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
We emailed this bloke asking him if he thinks all DJ's are prats...

the problem is.... some are.

if he sends this email to 3000 DJ's & gets one stupid idiot suckered in & scams him good & proper, then i suppose it's job done, despite the torrent of abuse he is probably going to get from the other 2999.

A1DL
04-06-2006, 03:06 PM
if he sends this email to 3000 DJ's & gets one stupid idiot suckered in & scams him good & proper, then i suppose it's job done, despite the torrent of abuse he is probably going to get from the other 2999.

Wolfie, I imagine a "torrent of abuse" would only be received from a handful, not 2,999 out of 3,000.

The majority of recipients of spam email simply press the "delete" key.
A small minority take the time to formulate a reply.
A smaller minority may reply with the "torrent of abuse" you refer to.
An equally small minority may be naive enough to send money!

soundtracker
04-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Well you can all back off- I've taken the booking!

A1DL
04-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Make sure you get payment upfront.... Mark Morrison's got a criminal record you know! :omg:

robbiedj
04-06-2006, 04:13 PM

You're too late. We e-mailed an offer to cover ALL the shows around the country with local colleagues. Will find out exactly how many parties the young lady is having on that day and farm them out to you all. :teeth:

Seriously though, on another forum we have had a newer dj who did not understand the scam and had to explain the various methods of parting unsuspecting recipients from their money. It appears a lot of younger members have still not been made aware of these requests. :omg:

reemicks disco
04-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Make sure you get payment upfront.... Mark Morrison's got a criminal record you know! :omg:

Do you think he will want it played at one of his partys then :teeth:

Wolfie
04-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Wolfie, I imagine a "torrent of abuse" would only be received from a handful, not 2,999 out of 3,000.

The majority of recipients of spam email simply press the "delete" key.
A small minority take the time to formulate a reply.
A smaller minority may reply with the "torrent of abuse" you refer to.
An equally small minority may be naive enough to send money!

just because it's a case of "torrent of abuse" it doesn't mean you are going to be going round his house & kneecapping him.. just a metaphor / figure of speech meaning that people will complain - be it in private swearing at their PC's screen or posting messages on forums such as this thread.

ooh look, a hair for me to split.

all Mark Morrisons records are criminal.

soundtracker
04-06-2006, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE all Mark Morrisons records are criminal.[/QUOTE]

****! You beat me to it! :teeth:

LastMinuteDJs.net
04-06-2006, 05:42 PM
I quite like return of the mack...

Danno13
04-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Yep same here, works well for 18ths/21sts/Student events..

A1DL
04-06-2006, 06:14 PM
It's definitely amongst the top 20 downtempo tunes of the 90s
along with Vibe, Hotstepper, etc

LastMinuteDJs.net
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Love playing Ghetto Superstar then mixing in Return of the mack...

PureWeddingDJs
21-11-2012, 01:48 AM
I don't understand how this scam works. why would anyone send him money?

Corabar Entertainment
21-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Sometimes it's money laundering, sometimes it's straight theft. They send you much more than your contract price and ask you to refund / make payments to other suppliers on their behalf. After you've done that, they cancel the original payment and you're left out of pocket for the refund / other payments.

DazzyD
21-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Sometimes it's money laundering, sometimes it's straight theft. They send you much more than your contract price and ask you to refund / make payments to other suppliers on their behalf. After you've done that, they cancel the original payment and you're left out of pocket for the refund / other payments.

This is known as the classic "overpayment" scam. It only works because of the time it takes to clear cheques through the UK banking system. Cheques take longer to completely clear than the 3-5 working days it takes the funds to appear in the recipient's bank account. A fraudulent cheque can be recovered after you have had the money as your bank, not the cheque issuing bank, pays the money in to your account when the cheque appears genuine but before all anti-fraud checks have been completed. Here is a bit more of how the cheque clearing system works:

http://www.money.co.uk/article/1004117-how-does-cheque-clearing-work.htm

So, the scam works like this. You quote for the service you will provide. The client sends you a cheque for more money than the agreed price then apologises for their "error" but, to prevent holding up payment, asks you to bank the cheque and when it "clears" (3-5 days) to refund the overpayment to them by cheque. After 3 working days, the funds appear in your bank balance so you think all is well and send off a cheque for the difference. However, the cheque you've banked is fraudulent and, after the 6th day, your bank takes the funds back out of your account. By this time, you've already sent a genuine cheque for the difference so you're out of pocket.

An old scam but it still does the rounds today.

CRAZY K
22-11-2012, 10:13 AM
This is known as the classic "overpayment" scam. It only works because of the time it takes to clear cheques through the UK banking system. Cheques take longer to completely clear than the 3-5 working days it takes the funds to appear in the recipient's bank account. A fraudulent cheque can be recovered after you have had the money as your bank, not the cheque issuing bank, pays the money in to your account when the cheque appears genuine but before all anti-fraud checks have been completed. Here is a bit more of how the cheque clearing system works:

http://www.money.co.uk/article/1004117-how-does-cheque-clearing-work.htm

So, the scam works like this. You quote for the service you will provide. The client sends you a cheque for more money than the agreed price then apologises for their "error" but, to prevent holding up payment, asks you to bank the cheque and when it "clears" (3-5 days) to refund the overpayment to them by cheque. After 3 working days, the funds appear in your bank balance so you think all is well and send off a cheque for the difference. However, the cheque you've banked is fraudulent and, after the 6th day, your bank takes the funds back out of your account. By this time, you've already sent a genuine cheque for the difference so you're out of pocket.

An old scam but it still does the rounds today.

Very well explained--these days I think most of us hopefully are aware that you need to leave a lot more than 5 days for the cheque to be safe--and any request to give a refund immediately after "clearing" would be viewed with total suspicion---guess its that old problem GREED again:rolleyes:

DazzyD
22-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Very well explained--these days I think most of us hopefully are aware that you need to leave a lot more than 5 days for the cheque to be safe--and any request to give a refund immediately after "clearing" would be viewed with total suspicion---guess its that old problem GREED again:rolleyes:

Whilst most scams prey on the human trait of greed, this isn't always the case with this scam. Sometimes, the scammer offers extra money for the "inconvenience" (ie "you keep £100 for your trouble and refund the rest to me by cheque") but this is not always the case. I think the scammers have started to not offer the extra as they aware that people view this offer of money for nothing with increased suspicion and means the scam has less chance of working. The current version of this scam relies purely on targeting honest, decent service providers such as you and me and hoping that the victim is naive enough to fall for it. Me and you have been in business dealing with cheques and the clearing system for a long time but people new to the business (or business in general for that matter) might not be so clued up. And it's these people that make the scam lucrative and prolong it's lifespan.

CRAZY K
22-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Whilst most scams prey on the human trait of greed, this isn't always the case with this scam. Sometimes, the scammer offers extra money for the "inconvenience" (ie "you keep £100 for your trouble and refund the rest to me by cheque") but this is not always the case. I think the scammers have started to not offer the extra as they aware that people view this offer of money for nothing with increased suspicion and means the scam has less chance of working. The current version of this scam relies purely on targeting honest, decent service providers such as you and me and hoping that the victim is naive enough to fall for it. Me and you have been in business dealing with cheques and the clearing system for a long time but people new to the business (or business in general for that matter) might not be so clued up. And it's these people that make the scam lucrative and prolong it's lifespan.

The ones I got or have seen advertised were always well over the top on fees and in the greedy category--so fair enough not seen any recently saying I will pay say £350 for a Wedding.

They were several hundred pounds higher.

A warning for all then!

DazzyD
22-11-2012, 10:18 PM
The ones I got or have seen advertised were always well over the top on fees and in the greedy category--so fair enough not seen any recently saying I will pay say £350 for a Wedding.

They were several hundred pounds higher.

A warning for all then!

Aah! I was referring to the scam in general and not just specific to our industry (this scam be used in almost any service, or indeed, retail business).

To be fair, I don't know of any DJs that have been targeted by this scam in the last couple of years. However, it is alive and well and well in other industries. In fact, the last case of this scam I came across was where the scammer bought a table from a small family-owned furniture shop. The scammer had gone in to the shop, bought a table, paid by cheque, made the cheque out for about £100 more than it should have been, couldn't write out another cheque as it was the last cheque in the book (a very important part of this scam when worked face to face) so he told the shop assistant that he really wanted the table and they could send him a cheque for the difference when his cheque cleared. And the rest falls in line with the common scam.

The thing with scams is that they are ever-evolving. There are many different variations of a relatively small number of scams. As always, education is the way to defeat these scammers and stop yourself becoming a victim.

CRAZY K
23-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Aah! I was referring to the scam in general and not just specific to our industry (this scam be used in almost any service, or indeed, retail business).

To be fair, I don't know of any DJs that have been targeted by this scam in the last couple of years. However, it is alive and well and well in other industries. In fact, the last case of this scam I came across was where the scammer bought a table from a small family-owned furniture shop. The scammer had gone in to the shop, bought a table, paid by cheque, made the cheque out for about £100 more than it should have been, couldn't write out another cheque as it was the last cheque in the book (a very important part of this scam when worked face to face) so he told the shop assistant that he really wanted the table and they could send him a cheque for the difference when his cheque cleared. And the rest falls in line with the common scam.

The thing with scams is that they are ever-evolving. There are many different variations of a relatively small number of scams. As always, education is the way to defeat these scammers and stop yourself becoming a victim.

Silly shop accepting a cheque from a stranger.

Heres one I received last night from a friend which makes interesting reading---

Cunning scammers

MOST OF US KNOW THERE ARE MANY SCAMS ABOUT BUT THIS IS GETTING VERY CUNNING

There is a new and clever credit card scam - be wary of those who come

bearing gifts. Please circulate this. It just happened to friends a week

or so ago in Guildford , and it can pretty well now be happening

anywhere else in the world.

It works like this:

Wednesday a week ago, I had a phone call from someone who said that he

was from some outfit called: "Express Couriers" asking if I was going to

be home because there was a package for me, and the caller said that the

delivery would arrive at my home in roughly an hour. And sure enough,

about an hour later, a delivery man turned up with a beautiful basket of

flowers and wine. I was very surprised since it did not involve any

special occasion or holiday, and I certainly didn't expect anything like

it. Intrigued about who would send me such a gift, I inquired as to who

the sender is. The deliveryman's reply was, he was only delivering the

gift package, but allegedly a card was being sent separately; (the card

has never arrived!). There was also a consignment note with the gift.

He then went on to explain that because the gift contained alcohol,

there was a £3.50 "delivery charge" as proof that he had actually

delivered the package to an adult, and not just left it on the doorstep

to just be stolen or taken by anyone.

This sounded logical and I offered to pay him cash. He then said that

the company required the payment to be by credit or debit card only so

that everything is properly accounted for.

My husband, who, by this time, was standing beside me, pulled his wallet

out of his pocket with the credit/debit card, and 'John', the "delivery

man", asked my husband to swipe the card on the small mobile card

machine which had a small screen and keypad where Frank was also asked

to enter the card's PIN and security number. A receipt was printed out

and given to us.

To our horrible surprise, between Thursday and the following Monday,

£4,000 had been charged/withdrawn from our credit/debit account at

various ATM machines, particularly in the London area!

It appeared that somehow the "mobile credit card machine" which

the deliveryman carried now had all the info necessary to create a

"dummy" card with all our card details, after my husband swiped our card

and entered the requested PIN and security number.

Upon finding out the illegal transactions on our card, of course,

we immediately notified the bank which issued us the card, and our

credit/debit account had been closed.

We also personally went to the Police, where it was confirmed that it

is definitely a scam because several households have been similarly hit.

WARNING: Be wary of accepting any "surprise gift or package", which you

neither expected nor personally ordered, especially if it involves any

kind of payment as a condition of receiving the gift or package. Also,

never accept anything if you do not personally know or there is no

proper identification of who the sender is.

Above all, the only time you should give out any personal credit/debit

card information is when you yourself initiated the purchase or

transaction!

Pass this on, it may just prevent someone else from being swindled.