PDA

View Full Version : new disco name

djmark67
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
hi everyone need some advise i have a listing in the thompson local but as my name starts with a s= starlight i find im on a page on my own after other discos who start with abcd and so on now iv been contacted by yell.com and have been given a good quote for next year im not very happy with the thompson as i find not much comes from that with the money that u send on a good add so im going to try yellow pages so what im needing is something with the name starlight discos but it would have to have a letter A in at the front so if anyone got any advise on this please let me know :rolleyes:

A1DL
03-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi Mark

Whilst having your business name starting with an "A" will give you a higher placed listing than an "S" in Yellow Pages, there's all sorts of monkey business using punctuation and numbers which goes on:omg:

For the best illustration of this, have a look at PLUMBERS in Yellow Pages, there's pages of listings with .................000000000000000011111111111 and 11111111111111AAAAA11111111111.......11111111 etc etc :omg:

We advertise in over 35 YP books, and I've had long discussions with our National Account Manager about this farcical malpractice, although Yell still allow it to go on.

If you place a single full stop before your business name ie call yourself ".STARLIGHT" or .STARLIGHT." for symmetry within the advert, it will gain you the desired results.

Although I'd think twice before spending too much with YP, as it ain't what it used to be four or five years ago.

Hope this helps

Tony:beer:

Wolfie
04-06-2006, 12:07 AM
... & so says the person who goes under the name "A1" ...... mmmm

as i don't advertise in the YP only on the web (i get more than enough enquires via the web that i could ever get via YP) it's not really relevent to what to call a show as search engines don't list in alphabetic order & as many more people make the net their 1st choice in searches then it kinda makes sence to think of attention grabbing names or rememberable tag-lines before calling your disco with the view to get a better alphabetic position in listings.

Although i have to admit there are companies around under the name "aardvark disco" for deliberate advertising purposes & even sometimes when reading the classifieds on the local advertising media or in the local paper you often see people that start there adverts
"about your wedding disco... call Disco for all your entertainment requirements"

or one i did see a while back.. "Abracadabraba! you will think our mobile disco is magic"

djmark67
04-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Hi Mark

Whilst having your business name starting with an "A" will give you a higher placed listing than an "S" in Yellow Pages, there's all sorts of monkey business using punctuation and numbers which goes on:omg:

For the best illustration of this, have a look at PLUMBERS in Yellow Pages, there's pages of listings with .................000000000000000011111111111 and 11111111111111AAAAA11111111111.......11111111 etc etc :omg:

We advertise in over 35 YP books, and I've had long discussions with our National Account Manager about this farcical malpractice, although Yell still allow it to go on.

If you place a single full stop before your business name ie call yourself ".STARLIGHT" or .STARLIGHT." for symmetry within the advert, it will gain you the desired results.

Although I'd think twice before spending too much with YP, as it ain't what it used to be four or five years ago.

Hope this helps

Tony:beer:

hi tony thanks for the advise im in 2 minds as to do the yellow pages or stick with my thompson local add its early days for the thompson but not many calls from it most of my work seems to come ofline though websites like this so may have to concider doing more on the net try find listing djs websites but thanks for the advise most welcomed

mark

starlight discos

A1DL
04-06-2006, 10:41 AM
... & so says the person who goes under the name "A1" ...... mmmm

absolutely Wolfie :teeth:

we should know, since we're YP's largest advertiser in the "Discos-Mobile" classification, both in terms of number of books (coverage) and annual spend

YP is still an important source of new business for the company, however like I have already stated, it is not what it used to be.

WIth regards to Yell accepting business names prefixed with multiple punctuation, as in the examples shown on my earlier thread, IMHO this should not be permitted. I believe Yell should ask to see a copy of your Certicicate of Incorporation, VAT return, Bank Statement, etc etc to verify a business name, this would eliminate the foul play.

Tony

djmark67
04-06-2006, 09:36 PM
well i can show proof that i am a establish business i have a business account and a accountant i pay tax also i know there are some djs out there that do show they are running a top class disco show and some off the adds do look convincing i have phoned around a few other discos to see how much they charge and wat a joke when they tell me a kids party for 2 half hour cost nearly £200 no wonder why running a disco is so hard theses days back in the 80s when i started it was all so diffrent i once gave a local disco some work as he needed work telling me he was well known had a good name and was very good with kids disco i gave him some work few days later the lady phoned me and told me he was rubbish she even said his g/f scared the kids away with her smile he only had 2 spot lights and a twister 4 no smoke and bubbles now i find he has also got a add in the local yp just makes me wonder wat lifes all about theses days just thought i would add my thoughts on some mobile discos

musicinmotiondi
05-06-2006, 01:13 PM
1st Call Starlight Disco - maybe a good way to move forward.

Corabar Entertainment
05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
You've also got to consider the flip side.... I know of plenty of people who disregard completely any businesses starting with symbols, numbers and (I'm sorry!) A1 as well, as they don't feel that they are the 'reputable' end of the market. Also, many people pick up the book with their left hand and flick through from back to front.

djmark67
05-06-2006, 06:10 PM
i like the sound of that musicmotion lol

djmark67
05-06-2006, 06:13 PM
well the lady from the yp has been bugging me alday again even sent me a email with a kiss in it lol no wonder why they call it yell lol

Have a disco
05-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Wicked Wabbit Woadshow Hmm

wonder why Im in the yellow pages at the back in my area I get Noticed LOL by people reading back to front Knew I did it for a reason

Corabar Steve
05-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but Have a disco will be in the middle!

leighinstoke
05-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't actually know where I'm listed as I fell out with the Yellow Pages after they mucked me about when I spent about 5 minutes on the phone saying " No - Its A2Z not AtoZ". Then I was asked "How do you spell that phonetically as I don't understand how you are spelling it", to which I replied "A2Z as in Alpha To Zulu".

Well - it was a bad hair day as I am listed, I think, as 'Alpha 2 Zulu' now in some directories.

Oh well.

Leigh....

musicinmotiondi
06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Pain in the proverbial Yell.

Been chasing me again and I told them not interested 15 times - waste of time Peterborough has three pages of discos all undercutting each other.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I took a booking the other day from the YP (don't get a lot) and the client said he always looks back to front 'cos he doesn't like people who try and cheat by using dots and things!

Corabar Entertainment
14-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I had an interesting chat with a YP market researcher yesterday.

They were asking the obvious things like, why don't you advertise with them anymore? etc, but it looks like they are looking into pay per call advertising - ie, they will give you a telephone number which is used in your YP advertising and you pay each time someone calls that number. One of the other options they were asking about was a 'guaranteed' number of calls, with refunds if you don't get that many, so maybe the decline has finally got them worried!

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I had an interesting chat with a YP market researcher yesterday.

They were asking the obvious things like, why don't you advertise with them anymore? etc, but it looks like they are looking into pay per call advertising - ie, they will give you a telephone number which is used in your YP advertising and you pay each time someone calls that number. One of the other options they were asking about was a 'guaranteed' number of calls, with refunds if you don't get that many, so maybe the decline has finally got them worried!

Funny that, 'cos I asked them about those sort of schemes years and years ago, and they siad they couldn't/wouldn't do those sort of things....

CRAZY K
14-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Angela--Pay per call ?

This sounds like pay per click--

Another con?

Hundreds of time wasters getting free phone calls?

Perhaps im being negative-- :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K