PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 issue

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I have got my upgrade disc and started to install but have found that it doesn't come with an email programme - eg: Outlook or Windows Mail.

I don't like web based email, so was wondering whether anyone had a simple suggestion for this?

Excalibur
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I have got my upgrade disc and started to install but have found that it doesn't come with an email programme - eg: Outlook or Windows Mail.

I don't like web based email, so was wondering whether anyone had a simple suggestion for this?

And it''s not included in the Office package nowadays, either. :(
Best I can do.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB350GB350&q=microsoft+outlook&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2568145105479557567&ei=tfgcS7X3O9X94Aah4NjgAg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CC0Q8wIwBA#ps-sellers

Corabar Steve
07-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Can't you download Outlook / Outlook Express?

Failing that, what about Mozilla Thunderbird (I'm using that on my laptop for presonal emails as opposed to business ones which go to the PC via OE)

Marc J
07-12-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Or, if you want to stick wth Microsoft, go to the "go online to get Windows Live essentials" through the start menu. This is all the stuff they left out, email is http://download.live.com/wlmail

Corabar Entertainment
07-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Another vote here for Thunderbird.

I've been using Firefox as my main browser for some time, and have recently started using thunderbird aswell..... very nice little email program

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Or, if you want to stick wth Microsoft, go to the "go online to get Windows Live essentials" through the start menu. This is all the stuff they left out, email is http://download.live.com/wlmail

Isn't that just live mail though, which is web based?

Vectis
07-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Should've got a Mac :devil: :sofa:

I presume from your OP that you were an Outlook Express user? As full-blown Outlook was only ever part of (certain packages) of Office. If you installed Outlook as part of Office, then you should be able to reinstall using the Office disk.

Excalibur
07-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Should've got a Mac :devil: :sofa:

I presume from your OP that you were an Outlook Express user? As full-blown Outlook was only ever part of (certain packages) of Office. If you installed Outlook as part of Office, then you should be able to reinstall using the Office disk.

Yes, but if he's got the 2007 version, it's only included in the Standard Office Package, no other.
http://trial.trymicrosoftoffice.com/trialukireland/product.aspx?sku=3082936&culture=en-GB

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
OK, more info...

I have Office 2007 installed and have just realised that it does have Outlook.

However, I have always used Outlook Express and more recently Windows Mail, which I prefer over Outlook Express as things are a lot easier to search and find.

So, I can install the O/S and then use Outlook I assume?

Marc J
07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Isn't that just live mail though, which is web based?

No, it's a download. You can view messages offline.

Marc J
07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
So, I can install the O/S and then use Outlook I assume?

Yes, but be aware that Outlook has a 2Gb .pst file limit, which can be a pain if you get a lot of email and like to keep it all. For older versions this can't be fixed, with newer versions you can edit the registry to change the 2Gb limit (may have performance issues).

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, but be aware that Outlook has a 2Gb .pst file limit, which can be a pain if you get a lot of email and like to keep it all. For older versions this can't be fixed, with newer versions you can edit the registry to change the 2Gb limit (may have performance issues).

I don't really want to be editing the registry to be honest and I have got a lot of email....

Hmmmm...not sure what to do now.

Vectis
07-12-2009, 02:15 PM

I may be mistaken, but I thought that newly-created .PSTs in OL2007 weren't affected by the 2GB limit ... as Darren would be in effect creating his .PST for the first time, this wouldn't be a problem?

Marc J
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I may be mistaken, but I thought that newly-created .PSTs in OL2007 weren't affected by the 2GB limit ... as Darren would be in effect creating his .PST for the first time, this wouldn't be a problem?

I couldn't say for certain as I don't use Outlook myself. All I know is earlier versions definitely suffer from the 2Gb problem, as I have to go and fix it for clients from time to time!

And I'm pretty sure later versions still have a size limit, although it may be larger.

So I guess it depends what version of Outlook (Office) you have, Darren. Just Google the version + "pst size limit", it might not be an issue at all....

discomobiledj
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
You could always download Office 2010 Beta.....It's open until October 2010. I use that.

Marc J
08-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I just had a quick scout about - Outlook 2007 has a 20Gb file size limit. I'd imagine this would do you for quite some time, and it can be configured higher if you really need to.

Vectis
08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Thought so. It's only pre-2007 .PSTs that have the size limit, and unless you convert them to the new ?unicode? format the limit remains. .PSTs created from scratch in 2007+ automatically assume the new format and the 20GB limit.

In Darren's case, I doubt he has .PST format files from non-Outlook clients - I'm sure OL Express and Windows Mail use a Jet database for storage (I may be wrong here... it's been a while since I had my Windoze head on) and so importing these into Outlook 2007 will automatically create the new .PST format files he needs.

Marc J
08-12-2009, 10:15 AM
In Darren's case, I doubt he has .PST format files from non-Outlook clients - I'm sure OL Express and Windows Mail use a Jet database for storage (I may be wrong here... it's been a while since I had my Windoze head on) and so importing these into Outlook 2007 will automatically create the new .PST format files he needs.

Yes, Outlook Express (don't know about Windows Mail) creates a different .dbx file for every folder. There'd have to be some sort of export / import and this would indeed create a new single PST file, which would be limited to 20Gb initially.