PDA

View Full Version : Wedding discos

shim2a
27-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Open question which was asked by a enquiring customer the other day , she'd asked me to quote for an evening reception , which i did and got the gig , but she did ask why were most the quote's from other DJ's coming back at £300 plus , I dont know about you guys but i charge the same for weedings as birthdays etc , adjusting price for times/distants etc , the only thing i do differently at a wedding is what i were , smart suit+tie , i use the same sound system and lighting etc to perform , any thoughts

Danno13
27-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I personally find Weddings usually take more time in preparation than general parties. But that said, I charge £300+ for general parties as well, if they're on Saturday nights - because this is the kind of figure you need to be charging if you DJ as a business, rather than for just a bit of extra cash.

Shakermaker Promotions
27-12-2009, 02:42 PM
:agree:

Excalibur
27-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Well I too charge extra for Wedding Discos. I often charge as much as £60.

spin mobile disco
27-12-2009, 03:21 PM
No I charge the same for whatever the type of function. And clients can buy extra's as they require them.

yourdj
27-12-2009, 03:29 PM
:)
Open question which was asked by a enquiring customer the other day , she'd asked me to quote for an evening reception , which i did and got the gig , but she did ask why were most the quote's from other DJ's coming back at £300 plus , I dont know about you guys but i charge the same for weedings as birthdays etc , adjusting price for times/distants etc , the only thing i do differently at a wedding is what i were , smart suit+tie , i use the same sound system and lighting etc to perform , any thoughts

I would charge more for a weeding depending on the size of the garden - i do not do japanese knot weed though :p

http://nyis.info/images/Japanese_knotweed_35X2.jpg

I charge more but include a pre wedding meeting at the venue and allot more attention to detail. It often takes me 2-3 hours out of my day to meet with the b&g which equals time for me and more money.:) I also do more admin to make sure key parts of the day are pre prepared. such as names of brides maids, best men, parents, main guests to join in the first dance etc bla bla.

i also turn up much earlier to a wedding as there are far more RESPONSIBILITIES to take in to consideration.

A general party is such a breath a fresh air as i can do what i want generally whereas with a wedding its a little more precise depending on the couple.

<<< 978 (almost)

rob1963
27-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I put as much time & effort into each booking as required, regardless of the type of function, so everyone pays the same.

90% of my weddings involve no more time or effort than birthday parties, so I'd be out of order charging more simply because they had a bigger budget & could therefore afford to pay more.

Charlie Brown
27-12-2009, 06:45 PM
For next year I have put my prices up. I'm becoming more confident in all aspects of the business and as one of my plans to improve and make the business viable, I'm going to set aside more time to concentrate on each event individually, whilest still maintaining my school work and social life.

For next year I have been quoting around £225 for a normal party but have a few weddings secured at £300.

In all honesty a wedding party will cost the same to pull off - Transport, Music, Equipment....but I have learnt that when it comes to weddings you can bang on a couple more quid. I know this isn't great business practise and could be deemed as "sly" but on the night I feel you have to be more "on the ball" and can be more stressful.

Penfold42
27-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh goody another price thread.....:zip:

CRAZY K
27-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I put as much time & effort into each booking as required, regardless of the type of function, so everyone pays the same.

90% of my weddings involve no more time or effort than birthday parties, so I'd be out of order charging more simply because they had a bigger budget & could therefore afford to pay more.

Really :confused: a lot of DJs I know would disagree--

Personally I find that the few Wedding Discos I am involved with always involve a lot more PREPARATION because of music choice by the customer and I dont blame people charging a bit more for the time spent including a customer /site visit possibly. I dont do that much but find invariably there are last minute changes to all the tunes. first song, last song the whole flippin lot in fact;) All taking up my TIME. Time is money etc.

This woukl be as opposed to a Football Club Disco where you just turn up and play what you think is right for the crowd plus requests
on the night (if you have them)

Getting the clients music right on the night is often seen by the B and G as the most important feature---even if we all know sometimes they get it horribly wrong and the DJ has to sort the mess out--which is another reason why if you have the skill and experience to do that you can point out thats part of the cost as well.;)

Thats how i find it.

CRAZY K

BeerFunk
27-12-2009, 07:37 PM

90% of my weddings involve no more time or effort than birthday parties, so I'd be out of order charging more simply because they had a bigger budget & could therefore afford to pay more.I don't understand that - you don't have to be set up early afternoon then, and hang around until after the meal?? This is the case for most weddings in my opinion, as firstly, the bride and groom usually prefer the disco to be set up and ready (one less thing to worry about), and secondly, it doesn't look too great carting in gear while people are eating (if it is in view)

COOL HAND LUKE
27-12-2009, 09:27 PM

I would charge more for a weeding depending on the size of the garden - i do not do japanese knot weed though :p

http://nyis.info/images/Japanese_knotweed_35X2.jpg

I charge more but include a pre wedding meeting at the venue and allot more attention to detail. It often takes me 2-3 hours out of my day to meet with the b&g which equals time for me and more money.:) I also do more admin to make sure key parts of the day are pre prepared. such as names of brides maids, best men, parents, main guests to join in the first dance etc bla bla.

i also turn up much earlier to a wedding as there are far more RESPONSIBILITIES to take in to consideration.

A general party is such a breath a fresh air as i can do what i want generally whereas with a wedding its a little more precise depending on the couple.

<<< 978 (almost)

I would do the Japanese knot weed, but would charge more for a pre site visit and extra equipment:D he he

SC Events
27-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Well Mark...I quoted £250 more than you lol, that could be why I didn't get the gig!

My reasons why:

My services for the 5 hours or so.
A little bit extra for fuel.
Hire of LED Uplighting - Approximately 10 Par Cans including Installation and Removal. (Which cost a tiny bit more than what I quoted for the disco itself!)

I also offer a pre-event meeting as well.

cosmo1200
27-12-2009, 10:39 PM
last wedding I done I had to set up halfway through the day as they were eating in the same room so I was there at 9 am so set the rig up, thats white tablecloths, a quick polish of speakers and lighting truss, tape down all me loose cables,out of there by 12.30 for 2 pm wedding breakfast, back by 6.30 for 7.00 start, finish at midnight , so yeah £300 is cheap.....
I had a mate do my wedding and he charged me the equivalent of £400. ( I had to do an agency booking for him as 'payment' for mine..
by the time youve spent out on public liability insurance, pat tested equipment, new cd's /tunes the legal way, you're worth every penny..
thinking on spending out on a booth this year and that aint gonna be cheap..

I don't understand that - you don't have to be set up early afternoon then, and hang around until after the meal?? This is the case for most weddings in my opinion, as firstly, the bride and groom usually prefer the disco to be set up and ready (one less thing to worry about), and secondly, it doesn't look too great carting in gear while people are eating (if it is in view)

it's also professional to be set up and ready before anyone sees you,
pubs and clubs dont matter, set up in 1/2 hour with minimal gear..

I had to set up halfway throu a dinner once at a wedding (only cos the agent :Censored:ed the times up) and the bride and groom demanded their deposit back before I'd even started.....

cosmo1200
27-12-2009, 10:46 PM
sorry I had edited at the same time as you..

Penfold42
27-12-2009, 10:48 PM
sorry I had edited at the same time as you..

No problem. :) If you have to use bad langauge use the :Censored: smilie - it's on the main post-it bit.

:offtopic:

....so Wedding Discos....:)

rob1963
27-12-2009, 11:37 PM

Really :confused: a lot of DJs I know would disagree--

Personally I find that the few Wedding Discos I am involved with always involve a lot more PREPARATION because of music choice by the customer and I dont blame people charging a bit more for the time spent including a customer /site visit possibly. I dont do that much but find invariably there are last minute changes to all the tunes. first song, last song the whole flippin lot in fact;) All taking up my TIME. Time is money etc.

This woukl be as opposed to a Football Club Disco where you just turn up and play what you think is right for the crowd plus requests
on the night (if you have them)

Getting the clients music right on the night is often seen by the B and G as the most important feature---even if we all know sometimes they get it horribly wrong and the DJ has to sort the mess out--which is another reason why if you have the skill and experience to do that you can point out thats part of the cost as well.;)

Thats how i find it.

CRAZY K

I can only speak for myself, but from what you've said it's obviously quite different for some DJs than it is for me.

However, I don't do football club discos, only weddings, anniversaries & birthday parties really.

:shrug:

I don't understand that - you don't have to be set up early afternoon then, and hang around until after the meal??

To be completely honest, no.

This is the case for most weddings in my opinion, as firstly, the bride and groom usually prefer the disco to be set up and ready (one less thing to worry about), and secondly, it doesn't look too great carting in gear while people are eating (if it is in view)

With nearly all my weddings it's a case of arriving & setting up an hour or two beforehand, either in a different room to where they're eating or often in the same room when the staff turn it around...just like I would if it was a birthday party or an anniversary.

I do a wedding virtually every weekend, and there were probably about three occasions this year when I had to set up early & hang around until after the meal. As I've already stated, the vast majority of my weddings involve no more time or effort than other functions, so if I charged more for them I'd be ripping my clients off.

Obviously there are a few occasions each year where more time/work IS involved for a wedding (such as when the client wants to meet me in advance), so on those occasions I DO have to work a bit harder/longer for my money, but it's swings & roundabouts, because my birthday party clients pay the same as wedding clients, and sometimes these functions can be 2 minutes up the road & finish at 11pm, meaning there is LESS time & work involved.

Call me an old cynic, but when people who charge extra for weddings say they do so because of the extra time & work involved, I think that sometimes that's just an excuse, and the real reason they charge more is because they know they can get away with it, even though they wouldn't admit to that.

Vectis
27-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Call me an old cynic, but when people who charge extra for weddings say they do so because of the extra time & work involved, I think that sometimes that's just an excuse, and the real reason they charge more is because they know they can get away with it, even though they wouldn't admit to that.

OK - you're an old cynic.

I put a LOT more effort into planning and preparation for weddings (and for that matter larger corporate events) than for general private parties. This is reflected in my baseline pricing and optional extras.

BeerFunk
27-12-2009, 11:45 PM
With nearly all my weddings it's a case of arriving & setting up an hour or two beforehand, either in a different room to where they're eating or often in the same room when the staff turn it around...just like I would if it was a birthday party or an anniversary.

I do a wedding virtually every weekend, and there were probably about three occasions this year when I had to set up early & hang around until after the meal. As I've already stated, the vast majority of my weddings involve no more time or effort than other functions, so if I charged more for them I'd be ripping my clients off.If that's the case, I can't argue with your logic :)

Call me an old cynic, but when people who charge extra for weddings say they do so because of the extra time & work involved, I think that sometimes that's just an excuse, and the real reason they charge more for weddings is because they know they can get away with it, even though they wouldn't admit to that.You might be right.

However, we all know that a good proportion of the general public are always looking to book a disco on the cheap, and it's something we're all (hopefully) fighting, in various ways. Now a wedding is one occassion where Joe Bloggs is going to splash out a bit, and happily pay a decent rate, so what's really so wrong with that??

And besides that Rob, by your own admission, most of your bookings are weddings, aren't they? Call me an old cynic, but if that might well have a lot more to do with the money, than any other reason.. ;)

rob1963
28-12-2009, 12:02 AM
And besides that Rob, by your own admission, most of your bookings are weddings, aren't they?

Yes, probably about 90% of them.

Call me an old cynic, but if that might well have a lot more to do with the money, than any other reason.. ;)

How can the fact that most of my bookings are weddings have a lot more to do with the money when my clients for birthdays & anniversaries pay exactly the same?

:confused:

I can assure you that the reason I do mostly weddings is because they are my favourite events. This is partly because there's less likely to be trouble than other events and partly because I get to play a really wide range of music from the late 50's right through to some current stuff...so it's a great variety. Whether or not you choose to believe this is entirely up to you.

deltic
28-12-2009, 11:54 AM
i don't charge more just because it is a wedding,but what does wind me up people will pay more for a wedding cake or balloon's on tables than the disco,and it's the disco that can make or break the party.

Sapphire Disco
28-12-2009, 12:12 PM
i don't charge more just because it is a wedding,but what does wind me up people will pay more for a wedding cake or balloon's on tables than the disco,and it's the disco that can make or break the party.

Please don't take this the wrong way but read what you have written and think about it :)

I believe weddings should be £50 to £100 more than your normal Friday/ Saturday night 8pm to 12pm party.

rob1963
28-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I believe weddings should be £50 to £100 more than your normal Friday / Saturday night 8pm to 12pm party.

Even when they involve no more work or time than a birthday party?

Sapphire Disco
28-12-2009, 12:26 PM

That's the point they generally do but if you are getting a good price for parties then you may be doing OK anyway.

But if you are doing a wedding for less than a bunch of balloons on tables you may be underselling yourself and doing the professional DJ industry no favors at all.

Leicester Ben
28-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I charge an additional £150 for weddings compared to a general party (weddings for private clients start from £375).

Reasons for doing this are as follows:

:) Weddings involve more work (client meetings, sorting out playlists etc)
:) Weddings require a better standard of DJ (there are DJ's that I would give party work to but not wedding work)
:) I get more weddings because I charge more for them (a perceived quality).
:) Because I'm a good DJ and I'm worth it!

theoloyla
28-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I charge the same no matter what the gig but I charge extra for pre-event meetings, early set-ups etc etc; so some weddings may cost more. I dont believe in ripping customers off just coz I can.

cosmo1200
29-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way but read what you have written and think about it :)

I believe weddings should be £50 to £100 more than your normal Friday/ Saturday night 8pm to 12pm party.

absoloutly, after the extra effort you have to put in deffo.

cosmo1200
29-12-2009, 10:06 AM

In years of experiance they DO require a lot more work and effort,It's not just the suit that comes out..

Corabar Steve
29-12-2009, 10:08 AM
cosmo, see the little box in each post with "+ in it?

That's the multi quote function. Please use it when replying to more than one post.

Excalibur
29-12-2009, 04:56 PM
I charge the same no matter what the gig but I charge extra for pre-event meetings, early set-ups etc etc; so some weddings may cost more. I dont believe in ripping customers off just coz I can.

Unsurprisingly, Theo is absolutely, totally and utterly 110% correct on this matter.

No wonder we're sometimes viewed as money grabbers. Quote the correct price for the job, don't bung it on simply cos it's a wedding, and they'll be spending more on the flowers than the DJ!

Vectis
29-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Quote the correct price for the job, don't bung it on simply cos it's a wedding, and they'll be spending more on the flowers than the DJ!

:agree: 100%

But my wedding "jobs" involve more planning, preparation and execution time and hence attract a bigger fee. One which I can easily justify on the odd occasion that I'm challenged.

wensleydale
29-12-2009, 05:46 PM
i do pretty much weddings only so dont charge a premium, but i do very much believe on quoting for each event on its relative merits/disadvantages- as long as you can explain your cost structure to clients they generally appreciate that more than simply providing the lowest quote and I quite often say to people that if price is top of their list of priorities that they are probably best looking elsewhere.

Excalibur
29-12-2009, 05:51 PM
:agree: 100%

But my wedding "jobs" involve more planning, preparation and execution time and hence attract a bigger fee. One which I can easily justify on the odd occasion that I'm challenged.

i do pretty much weddings only so dont charge a premium, but i do very much believe on quoting for each event on its relative merits/disadvantages- as long as you can explain your cost structure to clients they generally appreciate that more than simply providing the lowest quote and I quite often say to people that if price is top of their list of priorities that they are probably best looking elsewhere.

No disagreements lads, I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.

StarZSoundS
29-12-2009, 06:57 PM
In years of experiance they DO require a lot more work and effort,It's not just the suit that comes out..

No disagreements lads, I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.

So who is brave enough to put THE PREMIUM on their website???:confused:

cosmo1200
29-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I dont have a website, but advertise locally and always state p.o.a :)
I have a base rate for fri's and sat' nite then I add a time price spent on the venue before any music is played as well as pre meetings sometimes a couple of meets are needed as well as a couple of calls prior to cover requests as the list sheets I send out are never enough..:cool:

rob1963
29-12-2009, 11:41 PM
In years of experiance they DO require a lot more work and effort

Not for me they don't.

The paperwork is the same regardless of the event. 90% of the time my wedding clients don't want any meetings. I get their requests in advance & make them up into a playlist (just like I do for birthday parties) and the set up arrangements are usually the same as any other functions.

simonp
30-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Not for me they don't.

The paperwork is the same regardless of the event. 90% of the time my wedding clients don't want any meetings. I get their requests in advance & make them up into a playlist (just like I do for birthday parties) and the set up arrangements are usually the same as any other functions.

Same here

Godamn, I agreed with Rob Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rob1963
30-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Same here

Godamn, I agreed with Rob Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Respect, Simon!

:D :D :D

Danieleastwood.com
01-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Happy new year all, been a while since posting, but felt I needed contribute. After reading this thread carefully, it would seem (and shoot me down if i'm wrong) those claiming that weddings to be 'more work' are those who make it more work than really necessary.

I have to say, I'm with Rob on this one. All this 'Spending time on site with the client' and 'taking their requests for the playlists' etc, It's not something that should warrant an extra charge, surely it's part of the service? Out of the numerous weddings i did last year, only 2 of the couples wanted a meeting, and that was only because they'd both been messed about by other suppliers. And my standard reply is, 'yes a meeting will be fine, my office address is...'. Other than the obvious venue decorating services and photographer, how many other providers really need to go to the site for a meeting?

'Hi, i'd like a wedding dress, could you bring them all to the venue for me to try on???????'

I digress... one thing that shocked me, was how the majority of my weddings this year were enquired, booked and finalised by email alone, only requiring a quick final check phonecall the week before. In some instances, finally talking to someone 10-12 months after the email booking.

As for this getting a playlist put together, I presume this is where the bride & groom can pre arrange the music for the evening???? I have to admit this is something I have disagreed with since it started. I will take requests on the evening, and ensure I have the precious must plays. I will also take a list as guide if the client is persistent. But surely, being a DJ, your job is to keep the floor happy. If a B & G really want me to stick to a list, I politely tell them I am not the DJ for them, and recommend them to here. I wont ever become a jukebox! But if you are a jock who offers a playlist service and uses this as a reason for charging more... I cant help but think that you are actually charging extra for basically pre-DJing your evening and then turning up with very little creative responsabilty on the actual evening, as the computer already has your list in it.

I charge the same amount regardless of the event. If it goes on longer than the stated finish time, then an hourly rate is charged. I also charge a little extra for early set-ups and events further than the local area. But thats it.

No doubt you will all have issues to pick, but hey it's a forum, and one very good thing about it, is that you are all helping keep the standards high, and I wish you all a sucessfull 2010

Vectis
01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
So who is brave enough to put THE PREMIUM on their website???:confused:

Mine's there. Always has been. Always will be. :beer1:

deltic
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Happy new year all, been a while since posting, but felt I needed contribute. After reading this thread carefully, it would seem (and shoot me down if i'm wrong) those claiming that weddings to be 'more work' are those who make it more work than really necessary.

I have to say, I'm with Rob on this one. All this 'Spending time on site with the client' and 'taking their requests for the playlists' etc, It's not something that should warrant an extra charge, surely it's part of the service? Out of the numerous weddings i did last year, only 2 of the couples wanted a meeting, and that was only because they'd both been messed about by other suppliers. And my standard reply is, 'yes a meeting will be fine, my office address is...'. Other than the obvious venue decorating services and photographer, how many other providers really need to go to the site for a meeting?

'Hi, i'd like a wedding dress, could you bring them all to the venue for me to try on???????'

I digress... one thing that shocked me, was how the majority of my weddings this year were enquired, booked and finalised by email alone, only requiring a quick final check phonecall the week before. In some instances, finally talking to someone 10-12 months after the email booking.

As for this getting a playlist put together, I presume this is where the bride & groom can pre arrange the music for the evening???? I have to admit this is something I have disagreed with since it started. I will take requests on the evening, and ensure I have the precious must plays. I will also take a list as guide if the client is persistent. But surely, being a DJ, your job is to keep the floor happy. If a B & G really want me to stick to a list, I politely tell them I am not the DJ for them, and recommend them to here. I wont ever become a jukebox! But if you are a jock who offers a playlist service and uses this as a reason for charging more... I cant help but think that you are actually charging extra for basically pre-DJing your evening and then turning up with very little creative responsabilty on the actual evening, as the computer already has your list in it.

I charge the same amount regardless of the event. If it goes on longer than the stated finish time, then an hourly rate is charged. I also charge a little extra for early set-ups and events further than the local area. But thats it.

No doubt you will all have issues to pick, but hey it's a forum, and one very good thing about it, is that you are all helping keep the standards high, and I wish you all a sucessfull 2010

100% nail on the head completely agree with what you have said.

i don't disagree with those that do meetings and playlists etc if it works for them.

rob1963
01-01-2010, 04:17 PM

'Hi, i'd like a wedding dress, could you bring them all to the venue for me to try on???????.

How nice to find someone ELSE for whom the majority of weddings involve no extra work (or at least someone who is prepared to admit to it). I was beginning to think myself & Pridders were the only ones!

I go even further than that.

In most cases, not only are my weddings booked by email, but I also do the final check a week or two beforehand by email, so the first time I actually speak to the client is at their wedding. Works for me!

As for this getting a playlist put together, I presume this is where the bride & groom can pre arrange the music for the evening???? I have to admit this is something I have disagreed with since it started. I will take requests on the evening, and ensure I have the precious must plays. I will also take a list as guide if the client is persistent. But surely, being a DJ, your job is to keep the floor happy. If a B & G really want me to stick to a list, I politely tell them I am not the DJ for them, and recommend them to here.

I disagree with this.

A disco is booked for the music, so it seems common sense to send the client a request form in advance (regardless of the type of function), so this is something I've always done since going full time.

I do this for three reasons:

1) It shows the clients that you care about what they want.

2) Assuming you're a digital DJ, It gives you the chance to make up a playlist of all their requests in advance, meaning there is no searching for tracks with your keyboard on the night.

3) It gives you a chance to check that you have everything they want and buy anything you're missing.

If a B & G really want me to stick to a list, I politely tell them I am not the DJ for them, and recommend them to here.

Just to clarify the situation, I don't accept playlists (where they give you a lidt of all the songs to play AND the order to play them in), but I DO accept (and encourage) advance requests. I don't mind whether it's a list of 10 songs or 50, although I prefer larger lists, as it gives me a better idea of what they like.

cosmo1200
01-01-2010, 06:16 PM
seems we are all heading for the same answer on this one,
regarding price,
my point is: most saturdays (daytime) Im usually doing some private jobs (as Im an electrician by trade,) and for me to go and set up at a wedding prior to lunch / dinner requires me to drop what Im doing and obviously set up, losing money etc, The booth I use is one built especially for weddings, (white cloth drapes over the goal post truss, l.e.d up lighting, extra lighting on the trusses, etc,(only comes out for the bigger payers) my 'usual saturday night gear is a t bar with 4 heads and a smoke machine, with the decks,cd's and tunes to suit, a normal pub / club nite I can set up in 40 mins average, a wedding however take's 3 time's longer, I do meet with the clients as I feel it's good pratice to do so, never have I taken a booking on the phone, and just turned up on the day to perform, I discuss obviously the first dance, the cutting of the cake, grooms best man's names and bridegrooms names, obviously special requests etc, it's nice to know when you turn up at an event to know who you are actually taliking too, my rates arn't over the top, taking out an hour to chat with the clients face to face saves a lot of work on the night, I used to do a residency at a hotel and was incharge of all wedding functions in both conferance suites and always had the bride and groom come in for a chat, suppose that has rubbed off on me on the mobile circuit...
but it's never let me down,
obviously everydays a school day as Im still picking up / learning experiances 18 years on......
keeping my options open all the time as being 'stuck in your own ways' get's you in more trouble as Ive found out.....
See everyone on here has their own way of dealing with bookings / weddings in their own right, which works for them.....so be it...
Last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes.....
just my 'half pennies worth'
tony.c

cosmo1200
01-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Erm.. Why not have a page dedicated to wedding's titled a beginners guide to weddings?

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Erm.. Why not have a page dedicated to wedding's titled a beginners guide to weddings?

Because everyone does things differently. There is no definitive way.

cosmo1200
01-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Because everyone does things differently. There is no definitive way.
I agree with you bud, but there are some of us here who have prob never done a wedding so this COULD help them..

Danieleastwood.com
01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I see what you mean about the playlist Rob. I dont want people to think I wont take requests, I do. But we have had some bad feedback in the past following a night stuck to a list. hence the reason for never doing it again. lol

cosmo1200
01-01-2010, 09:55 PM
most couple have a list as a 'guide' to start the evening, I do tell them that the list is to guide but can change without notice on the night if I felt it to be inappropiate,I normally work with it and play to the general mass that are in front of me, Ive had a last minute agency function come in because there was no cover, the bride was all me me me, bangles on 'her' list all night was awful, had a guest ask if I could change to something more newer, I put something on, bride came over, had a go, got another request from another guest, I told her it was the brides perogative, she went back to the bride to ask if I would change, bride came up to me and allowed me to play 1 song, .................this went on for half an hour then the bride and groom left for the evening, after that the party really started..
got an email the following day from the bride accusing me of ruining the party although a few guests shook my hand and commended me afterwards, found out the bride was after her money back, .from me.......the agent.............the flower shop...................the caterers.................the list goes on..last time I'd go through an agent again, another reason why I do meetings and lists of my own.....

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Cosmo

Can you try to get a little more punctuation and spacing in your posts - they are becoming increasingly difficult to read. Thanks.

rob1963
01-01-2010, 10:33 PM
taking out an hour to chat with the clients face to face saves a lot of work on the night

How?

Penfold42
01-01-2010, 10:37 PM
How?

Because he won't bore them on the mic then will he......:sj:

cosmo1200
01-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Because he won't bore them on the mic then will he......:sj:

Ive messed up once or twice before, like getting the grooms name wrong.............. lol... yes I DO like to use the mic , mainly having a laugh and taking the :Censored: with some light hearted banter with the crowd is always a great icebreaker...and get away with it to say the least!!!!

Back to the pre meets, Ive always done it not every time but most of the time, it helps, and most important it works for me. I get a feel of the client and find out what their background influences are,taste's of music, geneers.

Ive often found a 'list' written by the bride may not have had any infulance by the groom,mother and father in-law etc.... so you end up with a clash in personal tastes, yep ok on the night that may all change when you go with the flow which we all end up doing anyway, but it all makes for a good night...

I could go on but I know I'd bore the hindlegs of a donkey.

Each to their own, just expressing my opinion...:D

Also English is not my strength... we not all perfect...lol

kilmeedyman
02-01-2010, 12:48 AM
I cannot believe there are people in this thread trying to persuade DJs to charge less than they do!!!??? That makes no sense.

You set your prices according to your costs and budgets vs your income/margin targets. If that means that you plan to charge a higher rate for the number of weddings you expect to do during the year and a lower rate for other events then so be it. That is what is right for you and it is not for anyone else to tell you otherwise. If your pricing is that far out you will be able to tell from the number of gigs you don't win.

It has nothing to do with ripping people off and that phrase is ridiculous unless you plan to charge the money and not DJ at all during the evening.

One thing is sure, every other service involved ie. bakers, chauffeurs, florists and hotels/venues/caterers have different rates for weddings. It's up to you if you are wealthy enough to buck that trend.

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 02:35 AM
I cannot believe there are people in this thread trying to persuade DJs to charge less than they do!!!??? That makes no sense.
You set your prices according to your costs and budgets vs your income/margin targets. If that means that you plan to charge a higher rate for the number of weddings you expect to do during the year and a lower rate for other events then so be it. That is what is right for you and it is not for anyone else to tell you otherwise. If your pricing is that far out you will be able to tell from the number of gigs you don't win.

It has nothing to do with ripping people off and that phrase is ridiculous unless you plan to charge the money and not DJ at all during the evening.

One thing is sure, every other service involved ie. bakers, chauffeurs, florists and hotels/venues/caterers have different rates for weddings. It's up to you if you are wealthy enough to buck that trend.

Not sure anyone's advocating lowering prices. Simply saying we should charge the rate for the job, and not bung a hefty surcharge on just because we think we can get away with it. One of my regular venues books me for weddings, and they usually involve no more work than a birthday party, so they cost exactly the same. However, if they decide to have a marquee in the grounds for the function, the gear is bigger, and usually requirtes an early set up. This costs extra. Simples.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2010, 03:00 AM
I
Also English is not my strength... we not all perfect...lol

I didn't say we are, but making an effort so that other people can read and understand your posts is essential for a forum.

I often wonder how people do business with their poor grasp of the English language and lack of communication skills.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Simply saying we should charge the rate for the job, and not bung a hefty surcharge on just because we think we can get away with it.

Have you ever booked a taxi after 12 midnight? Or ordered flowers for Valentines day...or booked a night out for New Year's Eve?

All of those services charge more than they normally would. Do flowers cost more to grow for Valentines day? Is food more expensive on NYE? Are fuel costs more after 12 midnight?

All these services 'get away with it'.

wensleydale
02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I disagree with a lot of the points made in this thread.

I think largely it depends on what type of event you focus on and how you pitch your business.

For me, weddings do involve more work than other events, but as 95% of my work is weddings that is the norm.

I dont think I have had any event where I havent spoken to the client- I take as long as it needs to find out as much about the event as possible- what they are looking for, how they want things to run etc etc and this, even before I can give a firm quote usually takes 20 mins but can take up to an hour.

75% of people want a meeting before the event- again, this may relate to the type of event but it seems to be the norm now- I usually try to incorporate this with a site visit so you can kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

This ensures that the "little" things like where to set up, how much lighting, timelines for on the night etc etc are known well in advance rather than trying to find the event planner/F+B manager on the night and also lets you run through with the B+G exactly what the disco will look like.

As for price- I charge what I feel right based on the amount of work/equipment I think will go into the event - even during times of recession there are still people who are prepared to pay for a quality service and whilst I know that there are other discos in my part of the world who charge half what I do (or less), people still book me and the other guys on this forum who charge higher fees.

As I limit the number of events I work this approach works well, and I might do things slightly differently if I wanted to secure more work, however each of the different approaches discussed can work but I dont think people always relate the different options back to their particular business- ie would I rather work 2 nights at a lower price or one at a higher price?

For me the answer is fairly simple, but I appreciate that it might not be for others.

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Have you ever booked a taxi after 12 midnight? Or ordered flowers for Valentines day...or booked a night out for New Year's Eve?

All of those services charge more than they normally would. Do flowers cost more to grow for Valentines day? Is food more expensive on NYE? Are fuel costs more after 12 midnight?

All these services 'get away with it'.

Not with me they don't. I've got a reputation to uphold. Tight as a camel's bum in a sandstorm.

Anyway, I feel your analogy is missing the salient point that in the scenarios you referred to, there is a plethora of customers chasing a paucity of suppliers, thus inflating the price due to supply and demand.

If I go to the same venue I worked at last week doing a birthday party for £x, and then go back to the same venue the following week and do a wedding, using exactly the same gear, for exactly the same length of time, how in God's name can I justify charging £x+100? :confused: :confused: :confused:

" Ah yes, but you see it's a wedding. Weddings are dearer"

I actually just typed out a list of facetious reasons why it's dearer, but decided against posting them, because I think we've already got quite enough fuel on this conflagration, thank you.

BTW Darren, good enough English for you? :whistle: :D :D :D

Steve the DJ
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I disagree with a lot of the points made in this thread.

+1

95% of my jobs are Wedding & Civil Partnership celebrations, it's what I do.

I get booked to do this work at a premium over what other "mobile discos" charge because I don't treat it as "just another disco".

The clients I work for want to meet, often more than once so that I can help shape the entertainment in their style, adding personal touches to make their celebration unique and memorable from all the other "run of the mill" Weddings they have attended.

The clients I work for want me to be their music and audio expert, helping choose and play the appropriate songs at the key moments during the ceremony, Wedding Breakfast and evening Reception.

The clients I work for want me to be a courteous host and eloquent spokesperson on their behalf, helping direct the proceedings and keeping guests informed.

The clients I work for want to be the centre of attention at their celebration, not the DJ.

All of which involves plenty of planning and preparation before I even set foot in the venue, usually some 15 - 20 hours of work.

Does this make a difference? Of course it does to the people who matter, the clients, which is why I work almost exclusively via referral.

Of course the vast majority of couples don't need this level of service, but some do and they understand that they need to invest more to get the right level of experience, expertise and most importantly client focus.

Put simply, the last thing the clients I service want is a "mobile disco" and all the usual things that entails. Therefore I am happy to offer them a different option, but I expect (and get) a much higher fee that takes into account the full spectrum of work involved.

Many of you will think I am being pompous (amongst other things) but I don't really care. We all have our skills and we all market ourselves to particular types of clients, I just focus on a very rewarding minority.

You do what you want to do and I will do my thing, just don't expect me to apologise for charging a fee that reflects what my service is worth because in a way, that's what we are all doing. Think about it.

rob1963
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Not sure anyone's advocating lowering prices. Simply saying we should charge the rate for the job, and not bung a hefty surcharge on just because we think we can get away with it.

That's not the same, Darren.

Anything will cost more after midnight due to the unsociable hours, flowers will always cost more on valentines day because of the massive demand & people who work on new years eve will also charge more due to the massive demand.

This thread isn't about charging more after a certain time at night or on certain days on the year...it's about charging more because the function happens to be a wedding, and the usual lame (in my opinion) excuse that this is because they involve more work.

It's interesting that four different people in this thread have admitted that weddings usually DON'T involve more work for them, so I'm wondering why they involve NO more work for some of us & LOTS more work for others.

One of my regular venues books me for weddings, and they usually involve no more work than a birthday party, so they cost exactly the same.

I admire your honesty, Mr Excalibur!

75% of people want a meeting before the event - again, this may relate to the type of event but it seems to be the norm now

I operate in the same area as you, do the same types of functions as you, work in many of the same venues as you...and yet only about 10% of MY clients want a meeting beforehand.

Strange!

Steve the DJ
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I operate in the same area as you, do the same types of functions as you, work in many of the same venues as you...and yet only about 10% of MY clients want a meeting beforehand.

Strange!

Not really, you could say the same about me but my typical clients are not your typical clients and therein lies the difference.

It's about the people, not the price.

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
+1

Put simply, the last thing the clients I service want is a "mobile disco" and all the usual things that entails. Therefore I am happy to offer them a different option, but I expect (and get) a much higher fee that takes into account the full spectrum of work involved.

Many of you will think I am being pompous (amongst other things) but I don't really care. We all have our skills and we all market ourselves to particular types of clients, I just focus on a very rewarding minority.

You do what you want to do and I will do my thing, just don't expect me to apologise for charging a fee that reflects what my service is worth because in a way, that's what we are all doing. Think about it.

No arguments at all with anything you've written, I agree totally. That's because you're charging the correct rate for what you provide.

Very many of my clients do simply want a "Mobile Disco", that's what they get, and that's what they pay for.

In all walks of life, you can have the mass produced, one size fits all , off the peg item for a lower cost, or you can have a custom fit, individual, tailor made one which costs more. No problems with that at all. What I do have a problem with is when something bog-standard suddenly rises sharply in price because of the name of situation it's going to be used in.

Steve the DJ
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
In all walks of life, you can have the mass produced, one size fits all , off the peg item for a lower cost, or you can have a custom fit, individual, tailor made one which costs more. No problems with that at all.

That is exactly my point, my pricing is based on what I do rather than what I think I can get away with. ;)

What I do have a problem with is when something bog-standard suddenly rises sharply in price because of the name of situation it's going to be used in.

Amen to that brother. :D

wensleydale
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Strange!

But that's what I meant about target market- if people are paying higher prices for a disco then I suspect they are more likely to want a meeting or a site visit will be required.

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
This thread isn't about charging more after a certain time at night or on certain days on the year...it's about charging more because the function happens to be a wedding, and the usual lame (in my opinion) excuse that this is because they involve more work.
It depends on so many things. 99% of mine involve absolutely no more work than other functions. That's because of what the customer wants. If they want extra, they pay extra. They don't however pay extra jusy because I've written "Wedding" in the diary.

It's interesting that four different people in this thread have admitted that weddings usually DON'T involve more work for them, so I'm wondering why they involve NO more work for some of us & LOTS more work for others.

Customers Rob. Customers.

I admire your honesty, Mr Excalibur!

Why? :confused: The venue I'm referring to simply says " Wedding on the date specified" and I turn up and do it. 99.9% of the customers never contact me beforehand, despite them having my details given to them by the venue. I turn up on the night, look for the lady in the big white frock, and away we go. I do nothing any differently than if it were a birthday.

However: Same venue often puts up a Marquee in the grounds for weddings. Whole different ballgame. More gear, early setup, extra work. More money. Simples.

Strange!

Not really, you could say the same about me but my typical clients are not your typical clients and therein lies the difference.

Not at all Rob. Just goes to show you're like me, firmly rooted in the "cheap and cheerful" bracket. :p :p :D :D

BeerFunk
02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't think you can discount the fact that there is a lot more pressure and responsibility resting on a DJ for a wedding, as opposed to a birthday party or generic disco.

In a worst case scenario, if it all goes horribly wrong and the DJ is to blame, there is more chance of legal action for a wedding than another occassion.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
In a worst case scenario, if it all goes horribly wrong and the DJ is to blame, there is more chance of legal action for a wedding than another occassion.

You think people could sue a DJ for being rubbish or playing the wrong music? You cannot sue people for loss of enjoyment. I have (for other reasons) been down that route with a solicitor.

BeerFunk
02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
You think people could sue a DJ for being rubbish or playing the wrong music? You cannot sue people for loss of enjoyment. I have (for other reasons) been down that route with a solicitor.I was thinking more along the lines of the disco being a no show, or perhaps even an equipment failure midway.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the disco being a no show, or perhaps even an equipment failure midway.

As I said, I have checked with a solicitor and there's not a lot people can do, even in those extreme circumstances.

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
You think people could sue a DJ for being rubbish or playing the wrong music? You cannot sue people for loss of enjoyment. I have (for other reasons) been down that route with a solicitor.

Wow! Darren, you've just made my year, and it's only January 2nd. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D That takes all the pressure off me having to be even mediocre.

CRAZY K
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Why? :confused: The venue I'm referring to simply says " Wedding on the date specified" and I turn up and do it. 99.9% of the customers never contact me beforehand, despite them having my details given to them by the venue.

Things work differently down here Peter:confused:

I ALWAYS ask for a playlist at Weddings and Birthdays and can only remember one gig where I was given a very short list.

Are you saying every Bride and Groom like exactly the same approach to music, flowers, food etc?

Sounds a bit odd.:confused:

Surely they at least they confirm the FIRST DANCE or is it the same throughout Yorkshire.

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Knowing your experience I know you would always do a good job but a bit of communication before the event cuts out all those silly conversations like--have you got the Birdie Song:eek:

I will put it down to Regional differences:)

CRAZY K

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Things work differently down here Peter:confused:

I ALWAYS ask for a playlist at Weddings and Birthdays and can only remember one gig where I was given a very short list.

Are you saying every Bride and Groom like exactly the same approach to music, flowers, food etc?

Sounds a bit odd.:confused:

Surely they at least they confirm the FIRST DANCE or is it the same throughout Yorkshire.

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Knowing your experience I know you would always do a good job but a bit of communication before the event cuts out all those silly conversations like--have you got the Birdie Song:eek:

I will put it down to Regional differences:)

CRAZY K

They do. Two minutes after I've pressed play on the Cortex usually.

And seriously, many folk trust the venue to supply a disco which will provide exactly what they want, even without any prior consultation. It sometimes can be a little testing though. ;) :( :( And yes, of course I've got the birdie song. :D :D

Hey, come on. Don't start moaning just cos you've got the misfortune to live South of God's County. ;)

rob1963
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
All of which involves plenty of planning and preparation before I even set foot in the venue, usually some 15 - 20 hours of work.

In that case, by the time you add on loading up, driving to the venue, carrying the gear in, setting up, doing the disco, packing down, driving home & unloading, you're probably spending at least 25-30 hours in total on the average wedding booking.

Therefore, unless you're charging £1,200+ for the average wedding, your hourly rate is less than mine! If you DON'T charge that much, either you need to increase your prices, or I need to drop mine.....or maybe both!

Put simply, the last thing the clients I service want is a "mobile disco" and all the usual things that entails.

Do you mean things like a sound system, a lightshow, a DJ who plays music including requests, who reads the dance floor & who also makes announcements?

But that's what I meant about target market- if people are paying higher prices for a disco then I suspect they are more likely to want a meeting or a site visit will be required.

One of you has said it's about the people & the other has said it's about the price.

So why do people look at the wensleydale or FDDJ website & think to themselves "I want to meet that DJ in advance" but they look at MY website & they DON'T think that?

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 02:56 PM
So why do people look at the wensleydale or FDDJ website & think to themselves "I want to meet that DJ in advance" but they look at MY website & they DON'T think that?

Oh come on Rob, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you really don't want me to give you the answer, do you? :p :p :p :p :D :D :D
(If it makes you any happier, not many of them want to meet me, either. :o :o :( :( :( )

rob1963
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh come on Rob, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you really don't want me to give you the answer, do you? :p :p :p :p :D :D :D
(If it makes you any happier, not many of them want to meet me, either. :o :o :( :( :( )

It was a serious question, Excalibur.

Most of Wensleydale's and FDDJ's clients want to meet them, but only 10% of mine do...even though meetings are mentioned in 4 or 5 different places on my website?

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Most of Wensleydale's and FDDJ's clients want to meet them, but only 10% of mine do...even though meetings are mentioned in 4 or 5 different places on my website?

And my reply was almost totally frivolous, but you spotted that, didn't you. ;) :D :D

My serious answer is probably contained in the earlier frivolous post. You and I are not catering to the truly bespoke market Rob. We're off the peg. The others are doing tailor made, hence why their customers need to meet them an inordinate number of times, to dot i's and cross t's. ( whoops, I can feel myself starting to become frivolous again. :o :o )

wensleydale
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

I think Excalibur may have hit the nail on the head- I aim to offer a very bespoke service tailored to peoples needs as does FDDJ by the sounds of things- you cant do that without finding out what they want.
Therefore discussions on the phone or a meeting.

rob1963
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
You and I are not catering to the truly bespoke market Rob. We're off the peg.

I think Excalibur may have hit the nail on the head- I aim to offer a very bespoke service tailored to peoples needs as does FDDJ by the sounds of things - you cant do that without finding out what they want. Therefore discussions on the phone or a meeting.

Sorry, but I disagree that my service is "off the peg"

The second sentence of my website states that I tailor my service to their exact requirements. The website also makes it clear that I can visit them to discuss their requirements and that there is no charge for this service, so I still fail to understand why so few of my clients feel the need for a meeting compared to some others.

CRAZY K
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I think Excalibur may have hit the nail on the head- I aim to offer a very bespoke service tailored to peoples needs as does FDDJ by the sounds of things- you cant do that without finding out what they want.
Therefore discussions on the phone or a meeting.

Agree with that--its known as fact finding and means you discover the clients music preferences---rather than wasting time trying to work it out on the night.

I imagine people think ( rightly ) that if they are paying say twice the average rate then they will get a lot more attention to detail especially with their music choices and maybe a meeting.

Some people leave it to the DJ and do not wish to give input---its horses for courses.

Ironically im off to a 21st Birthday Barn Dance in a minute and they will have to put up with whatever im playing tonight;)

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM

The second sentence of my website states that I tailor my service to their exact requirements. The website also makes it clear that I can visit them to discuss their requirements and that there is no charge for this service, so I still fail to understand why so few of my clients feel the need for a meeting compared to some others.

Says the man who only allows a limited playlist? :p :D :D :D Your service may not be off the peg, but it appears your clients are Rob, just like mine.

TonyB
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Its not just music choice, its where to set up in the room, required time to set up, what type of set up will best fit the clients requirements, if they require a "grand entrance", announcements for the speeches, back ground music during the wedding breakfast, mic's for speeches, timing for the evening - giving advice on the best way to do it from experience, if any other acts will be performing - tribute acts, singers, will they provide their own sound equipment or expect to use your own. Sometimes meet the clients at home initially and then have another meeting at the venue with the clients and venue manager/wedding co ordinator.

Unless you explain the advantages of a meeting to a client then they will just expect what most perceive a mobile disco does, turn up, play music and go home. If you want to provide a more bespoke package and be more involved with the "wedding planning" then you have to tell the clients what you can offer and the benefits of what you can do.

wensleydale
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Off the peg wasnt my phrase, and it's not just about that- I see it as complete customer service and try to go out of my way to do everything I can to help the clients night go 100% as they want.

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Off the peg wasnt my phrase, and it's not just about that- I see it as complete customer service and try to go out of my way to do everything I can to help the clients night go 100% as they want.

It was mine. I'm the guilty party. I'm sorry, it'll never happen again. :o :o

Unless you explain the advantages of a meeting to a client then they will just expect what most perceive a mobile disco does, turn up, play music and go home. If you want to provide a more bespoke package and be more involved with the "wedding planning" then you have to tell the clients what you can offer and the benefits of what you can do.

Spot on.

wensleydale
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
It was mine. I'm the guilty party. I'm sorry, it'll never happen again. :o :o

Spot on.

So you should be.;)

cosmo1200
02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Its not just music choice, its where to set up in the room, required time to set up, what type of set up will best fit the clients requirements, if they require a "grand entrance", announcements for the speeches, back ground music during the wedding breakfast, mic's for speeches, timing for the evening - giving advice on the best way to do it from experience, if any other acts will be performing - tribute acts, singers, will they provide their own sound equipment or expect to use your own. Sometimes meet the clients at home initially and then have another meeting at the venue with the clients and venue manager/wedding co ordinator.

+Please read the rules regarding Text+

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2010, 09:06 PM

And why can't you do that on the phone then?

Danieleastwood.com
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
+1

I get booked to do this work at a premium over what other "mobile discos" charge because I don't treat it as "just another disco".

The clients I work for want to meet, often more than once so that I can help shape the entertainment in their style, adding personal touches to make their celebration unique and memorable from all the other "run of the mill" Weddings they have attended.

The clients I work for want me to be their music and audio expert, helping choose and play the appropriate songs at the key moments during the ceremony, Wedding Breakfast and evening Reception.

The clients I work for want me to be a courteous host and eloquent spokesperson on their behalf, helping direct the proceedings and keeping guests informed.

The clients I work for want to be the centre of attention at their celebration, not the DJ.

Does this make a difference? Of course it does to the people who matter, the clients, which is why I work almost exclusively via referral.

Of course the vast majority of couples don't need this level of service, but some do and they understand that they need to invest more to get the right level of experience, expertise and most importantly client focus.

And at the end of the day, Myself, Rob, Excalibur and every other DJ on here will, at the end of the night, have provided exactly the same thing without the same amount of 'Hard Work' you put in.

Are you able to explain how your clients differ from our clients??

Steve the DJ
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Therefore, unless you're charging £1,200+ for the average wedding, your hourly rate is less than mine!

Not quite, but not far off.

I will break the £1000 a gig barrier on a more regular basis in 2010.

Do you mean things like a sound system, a lightshow, a DJ who plays music including requests, who reads the dance floor & who also makes announcements?

No Rob and you know it.

I mean the cheesy, self interested stereotype.

One of you has said it's about the people & the other has said it's about the price.

I think it is mainly about the type of person but both tend to go hand in hand.

Why don't they want to meet you in advance? Maybe you don't explain the benefits a face to face meeting can bring, but then if you don't see any benefit to a meeting yourself why bother offering at all?

Steve the DJ
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
And at the end of the day, Myself, Rob, Excalibur and every other DJ on here will, at the end of the night, have provided exactly the same thing without the same amount of 'Hard Work' you put in.

Are you able to explain how your clients differ from our clients??

I did reply to this but it appears to have been deemed "unsuitable" and removed, so please don't think I am ignoring you.

Basically my reply revolved around "No you don't" and "No".

Penfold42
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I did reply to this but it appears to have been deemed "unsuitable" and removed, so please don't think I am ignoring you.

Basically my reply revolved around "No you don't" and "No".

It's me...:o

I merged the post's but the 1st reply seems to have vanished.....:o
Sorry. :)

Steve the DJ
02-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Tsk...give a man more buttons... :o :D

I did try and edit it to but my allotted time had elapsed!

Danieleastwood.com
02-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Ok FDDJ you say...

"The clients I work for want me to be their music and audio expert, helping choose and play the appropriate songs at the key moments during the ceremony, Wedding Breakfast and evening Reception.

The clients I work for want to be the centre of attention at their celebration, not the DJ"

Even ignoring the fact you offer all the usual extras such as Uplighting and ceromony PA. I really struggle to see how you differ from the rest of us, regardless of how you dress it up.

If your 'pre-planning' can take up to 15-20 hours I would love to know what you offer/provide. You sound like you have quite a service to offer???

nisfo
03-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I tend to find out where I'm playing first.
And know they are happy that I know how to entertain.

My last 2 receptions have been at low budget locations. One was at an estate pub. If I haven't got a booking I'll take the gig on at a lower price. But they would only be getting a disco. They were fully successful.

However in contrast I have played a few manor houses and the Belfry many times, thats where I take a little more interest, and when I say interest I offer more of a service and try to involve the guests more by interacting with them. Again successful.......I'm doing something right ;)

In my experience I found higher budget weddings require a little more ground work. With earlier set ups and further logistics with kit. I pre-plan play lists and times for speeches, background music, cake cutting, and inevitably overrunning my hire time to please the client.

People pay a large amount to make their day perfect, and as said before the cake can cost as much as the DJ, how many have seen the wedding cake entertain the guests all night??

My main interest above all is to please the client and make sure I get the payment I quoted, without breakdowns of kit. Feedback is important, it helps to improve and secure future bookings :-)

rob1963
03-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Says the man who only allows a limited playlist? :p :D :D :D

I don't allow a limited playlist at all!

I know there are plenty on here who only allow xx number of requests, but I encourage as many as possible, and often end up with a list of 80 or more!

Exactly!

Why don't they want to meet you in advance? Maybe you don't explain the benefits a face to face meeting can bring, but then if you don't see any benefit to a meeting yourself why bother offering at all?

Maybe they don't want to meet me because they don't feel it's necessary due to the way my website sells me & due to the way I deal with their enquiries.

For the record, I DO see a benefit to myself of meetings, which is why I've updated my website within the last year and why it now mentions them in 4 or 5 different places. However, I'm not going to force meetings on them. It's their choice, because as already stated I aim to do EXACTLY what my customers want!

kilmeedyman
03-01-2010, 02:26 AM
In a free market you should be selling yourself for the highest you can get for each job. The only person you are working for, whatever type of gig you are doing, is yourself (except those that do it for fun) and that means you should be optimising your income at every opportunity.

That's not sharp practice or ripping people off, it's called trying to make a living.

In my opinion, the difference is that with a wedding you have many more opportunities/reasons for selling your service at the highest price and should do so at every opportunity.

nisfo
03-01-2010, 03:29 AM
That's not sharp practice or ripping people off, it's called trying to make a living.

I fully agree, and when it's your livelyhood....It's your business. And making an impression counts, in todays climate value for money is one of the main things. I like to think my clients get that little (just a little) extra for what they pay for, and then pass my name on as reliable and entertaining.

Leicester Ben
03-01-2010, 04:02 AM
WOW - what a great thread. As somebody who has built my business up over the years and now really concentrates on the high end customers in the wedding market it is all interesting stuff.

This is how I see it:

I meet about 10 - 20% of my wedding clients (although it is mentioned on the website many times as well as on the cover letter for the booking contracts.

I find that when I do meet clients before they book it is really just so that they can put a face to the name etc, its not so much about the specific songs that they want playing etc.

On the night for me, DJ'ing a wedding is as easy to do as say a nightclub or a 21st birthday - I dont find any of them difficult really (perhaps thats just because I have been doing this full time for 5 years now).

I do however charge more for weddings, this is because:

a) the client pays it
b) I feel that its good value for money
c) client is comforted by the fact that the DJ they have booked is twice as expensive as pretty much every DJ in the area.

When you have a client who books uplighting, disco, starcloth and dance floor it is a lot of work and a fee of £1000+ is certainly justified in my opinion.

Providing entertainment for a wedding can be much more hassle than say a 21st birthday. Take equipment used on the night, at a 21st the client will get what they are given, as long as its all good stuff they dont care. For a wedding you might have a bride that wants no disco lights and only 2 speakers with a few uplighters and a black cloth at the front for example so we have to be able to cater for that and make sure that the DJ going to that event has the correct brief. It is stuff like this which is why wedding clients (generally the posh ones who are getting married in nice venues) are prepared to pay more for a custom service.

Steve the DJ
03-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Even ignoring the fact you offer all the usual extras such as Uplighting and ceromony PA. I really struggle to see how you differ from the rest of us, regardless of how you dress it up.

If your 'pre-planning' can take up to 15-20 hours I would love to know what you offer/provide. You sound like you have quite a service to offer???

My USP and I am sorry but I am not going to share my methods openly, but lets just say I sell things differently and use techniques learned over many years as an entertainer, a trainer and a sales person to personalise the day and make it really stand out in the memories of clients and guests alike.

Most of it has nothing to do with playing music and I guess you have to be very comfortable on the other side of the decks, something which many DJs are not.

Playing music is such a small part of my job now but that is a whole different subject. Of course I still DJ in the traditional sense and do more traditional mobile disco work on occasion, Christmas being the last example.

I think people just need to accept that not everyone wants a "McWedding" and some people want to have a far more personalised day. Yes I still play music, we all do, yes I still offer Mood Lighting and Ceremony Music like many others, but it's about how it is sold and how it is delivered and we are all different in that sense.

I focus on empathy, emotion, feelings, personalisation, presentation and involvement whilst most DJs focus on lights, speakers and who thinks they know best, that's why my minority of clients choose me and are happy to pay more for my expertise.

Nothing I say means other people are offering a bad or inferior service, far from it, just different.

StarZSoundS
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM

and as said before the cake can cost as much as the DJ, how many have seen the wedding cake entertain the guests all night??

:-)

I know the point you are trying to make....but how many DJ's let you wrap them in tissue paper and eat you next morning.....:eek: :confused:

DJ Jules
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I know the point you are trying to make....but how many DJ's let you wrap them in tissue paper and eat you next morning.....:eek: :confused:

I'd give them a discount if they did that to me :o

Fascinating thread... I was thinking about posting something like this myself recently, because weddings are more work, do require more experience and more attention and do take more time to prepare for, but explaining that to clients is tricky.

Julian

StarZSoundS
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
I'd give them a discount if they did that to me :o

Julian

:lol:

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Well what a thread. :eek: All human life contained therein, eh? From Steven offering " Personal Services" to me and my one-size-fits-all "McWedding" . :D :D :D

I've said my bit, I admire such as Steven (FDDJ) who obviously provides something different and highly saleable. Well done. I line up with Rob and others in charging for the work done, and not simply loading the fee because of the title.

What I struggle with is " I charge more for a wedding, because they'll pay it". I had put that in an earlier post of mine as one of the wrong reasons for increasing your fee, but took them all out, since they could have been seen as inflammatory. I shall try to maintain a dignified silence from here, having said my piece, but we shall see.

StarZSoundS
03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I focus on empathy, emotion, feelings, personalisation, presentation and involvement

Not for me...but may suit some DJ's here who are short of bookings...anyone for a career change:eek: :eek:

LOOK...I'm fairly outspoken and I don 't want to be critiscising your business (without seeing it) as the chances are you are more succesful than me:eek: :eek:

I'll probably regret saying this....but it sounds more like a Wake than a Wedding:confused: :confused:

Steve the DJ
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I'll probably regret saying this....but it sounds more like a Wake than a Wedding:confused: :confused:

I have been to some fun wakes... :D

I guess the simplest way I can expand on what I like to do is by looking at the First Dance.

This is the one thing we all have in common, a piece of music that is special in some way to the Bride & Groom because it evokes memories of the time they met or has been chosen for another special reason.

All I do is take that idea and expand it, using musical (or sometimes photographic) "hooks" throughout the day and evening to evoke special memories for other members of the Wedding party and close family and friends.

Plus I use lots of other tricks to break down barriers and get everyone more involved in the story behind the day and feeling a real part of the celebration.

I can't explain it very well but because of the way I work with my clients I get treated more as a family friend than hired help and that gives me the opportunity to tap into what the families are all about and use that information to shape a really memorable day for everyone. Others just play music for dancing to, I get involved in the whole day.

It might sound flowery but that's because I am used to talking to Brides in a certain way, one that doesn't involve lights, wattage and the size of my collection. :p

At the end of the day we all do what we are comfortable with. I was "just a Wedding DJ" for many years until I evolved into what I do now, which I don't really talk about because most people just don't get it.

There are no right or wrong answers because clients all want different things with the majority just wanting a good old fashioned boogie.

But getting back to the original point of the thread I remain with Excalibur, pricing based on what you do is one thing, people either value it or they don't, pricing because you think you can get away with it is despicable behaviour.

Vectis
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
because of the way I work with my clients I get treated more as a family friend than hired help and that gives me the opportunity to tap into what the families are all about and use that information to shape a really memorable day for everyone. Others just play music for dancing to, I get involved in the whole day.

... ditto. This is a very successful model for me, too. I rarely play a gig, especially a wedding, at the advertised baseline rate. It also explains why such a large proportion of my work involves the more unusual gigs and venues. Glad to see I'm not insane :)

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
But getting back to the original point of the thread I remain with Excalibur, pricing based on what you do is one thing, people either value it or they don't, pricing because you think you can get away with it is despicable behaviour.

Amen Brother.

StarZSoundS
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I was "just a Wedding DJ" for many years .....

I think we'll all be heartened to know that there are further avenues open to the DJ's on here that are just Wedding DJ's.

Hats off to you...you have found a niche in the Market.My experience is mainly that folk want to get Rat:Censored: ed at weddings....do Dad Dancing to YMCA and generally make a fool of themselves.

I can't see that a clip of Lee and Tracey by a babbling brook to the strings of "When Will I See You Again" is going to set the Weddings up here on fire.:eek: ;) :eek: ;)

rob1963
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
In a free market you should be selling yourself for the highest you can get for each job.

I completely disagree.

How much you get for the job is irrelevant, it's how much you get per hour that counts.

It might sound great that someone earns £1,000 from a disco...but not when you discover they've spent 30 hours plus on the booking.

I'd rather spend a third of that time on a booking & earn an hourly rate which is 50% more ANYTIME!

wensleydale
03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I completely disagree.

How much you get for the job is irrelevant, it's how much you get per hour that counts.

It might sound great that someone earns £1,000 from a disco...but not when you discover they've spent 30 hours plus on the booking.

I'd rather spend a third of that time on a booking & earn an hourly rate which is 50% more ANYTIME!

A fair point, although I dont think many people here spend 30 hours on one booking unless its something very special.

Steve the DJ
03-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Glad to see I'm not insane :)

...and that I am not alone.

I can't see that a clip of Lee and Tracey by a babbling brook to the strings of "When Will I See You Again" is going to set the Weddings up here on fire.:eek: ;) :eek: ;)

Most of what I do would make many people vomit... :D

And as you know Rob I go through phases where I wish I could just settle for the easy life, but I just can't.

BeerFunk
03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
But getting back to the original point of the thread I remain with Excalibur, pricing based on what you do is one thing, people either value it or they don't, pricing because you think you can get away with it is despicable behaviour.I find that to be an unacceptable comment.

You can charge what you like, and leave others to charge what they like - but you have no right to call someone 'despicable' based on their fees. If vulnerable groups were being targeted, such as people in debt, or the elderly, then you might be able to use that term based on ethics, but otherwise it's just business.

Don't you think every business charges the highest they can 'get away with', to a certain extent?

I personally might accuse Microsoft of something similar, but as I said before, it's just business.

rob1963
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
A fair point, although I dont think many people here spend 30 hours on one booking unless its something very special.

I wouldn't be surprised if FDDJ is the only one.

Also, I wonder how many OTHER wedding suppliers spend that long on a wedding booking?

Leicester Ben
03-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Also, I wonder how many OTHER wedding suppliers spend that long on a wedding booking?

I know that I certainly dont and I have done quite a few £1000+ weddings.

For a day like that you are probabaly looking at 15 hours work, 10 on site and 5 prep (but its a bit different for me as some of that time includes cleaning a dance floor).

rob1963
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM

For a day like that you are probabaly looking at 15 hours work, 10 on site and 5 prep (but its a bit different for me as some of that time includes cleaning a dance floor).

Sounds like you should speak to FDDJ.

I'm sure he's like to earn the same amount but reduce the time spent on each booking by 50%!

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I find that to be an unacceptable comment.

You can charge what you like, and leave others to charge what they like - but you have no right to call someone 'despicable' based on their fees. If vulnerable groups were being targeted, such as people in debt, or the elderly, then you might be able to use that term based on ethics, but otherwise it's just business.

Don't you think every business charges the highest they can 'get away with', to a certain extent?

I personally might accuse Microsoft of something similar, but as I said before, it's just business.

It's rare that I find myself way out of line with your views, but on this occasion, I'll have to nail my colours to the mast, and say I disagree. It's a perfectly correct, valid and ethical comment. Sorry.

wensleydale
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM

I think the thing you need to keep in mind Rob is whether the hourly rate is turnover or profit, and there is a big difference.
This is going to be different for everyone depending on each persons fixed costs, however fixed costs (ie mileage, paperwork etc) are the same whether the event is 5 hours or 10 hours.
There may be slight difference on wear and tear of equipment but I imagine this to be negligible.

Events which pay more to start with but include a lot of "extras" have the potential to have a much higher hourly rate in terms of profit per hour as many of the fixed costs remain the same.

ie £300 disco for 7 hours with £100 fixed costs = £28/hour.
£500 disco for 10 hours with £120 fixed costs = £38/hour.

I know which one I would rather do.

Especially when you consider that there are only 52 Saturdays in the year, and I dont want to be working all of them.

Steve the DJ
03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I find that to be an unacceptable comment.

You can charge what you like, and leave others to charge what they like - but you have no right to call someone 'despicable' based on their fees.

I have every right to label as I see fit, the same as others can have a pop at me for saying what I say or doing what I do.

I believe that any business that charges a customer an increased price "just because..." is despicable and unethical and I stand by the comment and my right to say it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Which has nothing to do with DJing Ben. I provide extras, but this has nothing to do with providing the disco and how much time it takes.

If you have done £1000+ weddings and just provided the DJ and disco, then fair enough, but what you are talking about is something different.

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Which has nothing to do with DJing Ben. I provide extras, but this has nothing to do with providing the disco and how much time it takes.

If you have done £1000+ weddings and just provided the DJ and disco, then fair enough, but what you are talking about is something different.

I reckon I'm going to have to look at this "Extras" lark very carefully? I wonder what I can offer as extras? I think I can feel another slightly flippant thread about to be born. :D :D :D

Leicester Ben
03-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Yeah good point, I'll get my coat :)

CRAZY K
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I believe that any business that charges a customer an increased price "just because..." is despicable and unethical

Thats me then.:D

CRAZY K

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Thats me then.:D

CRAZY K

Fibber. :p You charge everybody extra. That's why you can't get a gig in Yorkshire. :D :D :D :D :D

cosmo1200
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
so if i were to spend 10 hours on the gig, 2 hours on admin, (chatting to the client and wot not,) then get given a list with some hard to find music which takes me 6 hours to find and copy/burn/ripp would that make me a thief if I were to charge £300?, Thats £150 standard price + £150 for digging out the extra equipment /music and putting a shirt and tie on.
Ive had to go out on a saturday morning a couple of times long before the internet was available and trawl the record shops for a couple of songs which would not have normally been in my selection..

BeerFunk
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
It's rare that I find myself way out of line with your views, but on this occasion, I'll have to nail my colours to the mast, and say I disagree. It's a perfectly correct, valid and ethical comment. Sorry.

I have every right to label as I see fit, the same as others can have a pop at me for saying what I say or doing what I do.

I believe that any business that charges a customer an increased price "just because..." is despicable and unethical and I stand by the comment and my right to say it.No, you do not have the right to personally insult anyone (by branding them 'despicable'). You can criticise their business plan, pricing, and everything else - but you are no judge and jury. If I, for example, decided that I should charge extra for weddings, then you should feel free to disagree with my practice and reasoning, but you do not have the right to label me 'despicable' (for the record, I'm not currently taking bookings for weddings, but if I was, then I would be charging extra).

DJ Jules
03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Pricing because you think you can get away with it is despicable behaviour.

I think pricing an event at a certain level because your competition does the same, with no intention of delivering the same level of service is despicable behaviour regardless of the industry, and unfortunately a practice which I'm sure probably goes on in every town across the UK.

If I can take a stab at what FDDJ might have been originally getting at, I think he's talking about the wedding equivalent of selling someone a £1.00 bottle of fake perfume for £20.00 because it carries a fake label. It's about building up your revenue and profit based on someone else's initiative and success. I.e. the attitude of "because another wedding DJ in the area can justify a £500 fee because they offer a unique and professional service, I'll start charging the same - despite buying all my kit from Maplins, taking the same 20 party CD's to every event and having no intention of even using a Mic". I don't think anyone is going to disagree that this would be considered pretty despicable behaviour (and would lead to a lot of B&G's feeling very disappointed), and I'm pretty damn sure it isn't something anyone on here is guilty of.

Julian

Steve the DJ
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
No, you do not have the right to personally insult anyone (by branding them 'despicable'). You can criticise their business plan, pricing, and everything else - but you are no judge and jury.

If you would like to point out where I have personally insulted anyone by branding them specifically as an individual as "despicable" I will gladly offer an apology.

If I, for example, decided that I should charge extra for weddings, then you should feel free to disagree with my practice and reasoning, but you do not have the right to label me 'despicable' (for the record, I'm not currently taking bookings for weddings, but if I was, then I would be charging extra).

So you are offended by a label that doesn't even apply to you? :eek:

Nowt as queer as folk... :shrug:

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
If you would like to point out where I have personally insulted anyone by branding them specifically as an individual as "despicable" I will gladly offer an apology.

So you are offended by a label that doesn't even apply to you? :eek:

Nowt as queer as folk... :shrug:

Oi. Kindly leave Rob's shrug smiley alone. ;)

CRAZY K
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Fibber. :p You charge everybody extra. That's why you can't get a gig in Yorkshire. :D :D :D :D :D

Ah I see---accused of Wedding price discrimination in Yorkshire.;)

Well for the PC nerds im pleased to confirm we dont practice Wedding price discrimination in any County of England---nor discriminate on the grounds of sex, colour, ethnic background, height, weight, ugly people, disgusting personal habits, colour of hair, occupation, religious beliefs or their favourite Football team--in fact we take money off anyone;)

We just charge more for Weddings--thats a commercial decision and no discrimination involved.

Im sure you understand as a business we retain the right to charge prices that reflect our ongoing costs--

As parts of Yorkshire are according to Google Earth are a chuffing long way from us we usually follow alternative strategies of which you may not be familiar in PC Yorkshire;) and may not be recognised by your local Branch of Trading Standards :D

Strategy one---Add £100 and say its a Wedding and a very long boring drive

Strategy two---Add £200 and say its a Wedding and a very very long boring drive

This strategy serves us well ( no bookings)

CRAZY K

Danieleastwood.com
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I have been to some fun wakes... :D

I guess the simplest way I can expand on what I like to do is by looking at the First Dance.

This is the one thing we all have in common, a piece of music that is special in some way to the Bride & Groom because it evokes memories of the time they met or has been chosen for another special reason.

All I do is take that idea and expand it, using musical (or sometimes photographic) "hooks" throughout the day and evening to evoke special memories for other members of the Wedding party and close family and friends.

Plus I use lots of other tricks to break down barriers and get everyone more involved in the story behind the day and feeling a real part of the celebration.

I can't explain it very well but because of the way I work with my clients I get treated more as a family friend than hired help and that gives me the opportunity to tap into what the families are all about and use that information to shape a really memorable day for everyone. Others just play music for dancing to, I get involved in the whole day.

It might sound flowery but that's because I am used to talking to Brides in a certain way, one that doesn't involve lights, wattage and the size of my collection. :p

At the end of the day we all do what we are comfortable with. I was "just a Wedding DJ" for many years until I evolved into what I do now, which I don't really talk about because most people just don't get it.

There are no right or wrong answers because clients all want different things with the majority just wanting a good old fashioned boogie.

A highly paid wedding crasher then. :D

I wish you every success, and I wasnt expecting you to divuldge your inner most secret ingredients, just wondered how you differed thats all.

kilmeedyman
04-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I think pricing an event at a certain level because your competition does the same, with no intention of delivering the same level of service is despicable behaviour regardless of the industry, and unfortunately a practice which I'm sure probably goes on in every town across the UK.

If I can take a stab at what FDDJ might have been originally getting at, I think he's talking about the wedding equivalent of selling someone a £1.00 bottle of fake perfume for £20.00 because it carries a fake label. It's about building up your revenue and profit based on someone else's initiative and success. I.e. the attitude of "because another wedding DJ in the area can justify a £500 fee because they offer a unique and professional service, I'll start charging the same - despite buying all my kit from Maplins, taking the same 20 party CD's to every event and having no intention of even using a Mic". I don't think anyone is going to disagree that this would be considered pretty despicable behaviour (and would lead to a lot of B&G's feeling very disappointed), and I'm pretty damn sure it isn't something anyone on here is guilty of.

Julian

I think we're going a bit far here.

No-one is talking about misrepresenting the service they provide (the perfume analogy) and no-one is talking about providing a less than good service.

The discussion was originally about whether you should/can charge more for a wedding than for another type of party for a similar service.

It is not an ethical question in any way. It is different service offerings (whether they contain the same details is irrelevant). Party DJ - one price, Corporate DJ another price, Wedding DJ another price.

No deception, no sharp practice, otherwise tell me why a hotel will charge 25.00 per head for a meal for 100 guests for an anniversary, but will charge £60.00 per head for a wedding. Because that's where their income is that's why. If it were different, in reality, if they were all priced the same then the price for everyone would be somewhere in the middle.

Once again, in a free market you sell every tin of beans for what you can get for it, even if each tin goes for a different price.

DJ Jules
04-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I think we're going a bit far here.

I agree, but I believe that's where the despicable comment came from.

Julian

rob1963
04-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Having just re-read the thread, this is the one post I don't understand, although you say most people don't get what you do, so I guess I'm just one of them!

I don't understand how you can spend 20 hours preperation or what that involves, I don't understand how you break down barriers to get everyone more involved & feeling more like they're part of the celebration and I don't understand why your clients treat you like a family friend when everyone elses clients probably treat them like a friendly service provider...which is what they are.

It seems like you're providing more of a wedding planner / life coach service that a DJ service, and yet it's DJ that is in your business name.

At the end of the day, if you're managing to seek out clients who want something completely different, provide that service & charge accordingly, I guess that's all that matters.

Steve the DJ
04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
It seems like you're providing more of a wedding planner / life coach service that a DJ service, and yet it's DJ that is in your business name.

Because everyone assumes I am talking about the work I do for First Dance DJs, which I am not, as that is focused more along the lines of the traditional Wedding DJ services many of you offer.

As I said I still do "normal" discos, I just prefer the bespoke service that I can also offer and do provide directly from referrals throughout the year.

Why are people trying to second guess all the time? You can't catch me out, I know what I do and how I do it!!

Lets not forget as well I include everything in the prep time I mention, including travel to and from meetings. With some venues an hour away I only have to meet the clients twice to burn through 6 or 7 hours of my time and I charge for it.

Anyway I think this thread is going round in circles now so that's enough from me. :)

Shakermaker Promotions
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I've just read through the whole thread and it's interesting. If it works for you FDDJ then great.

Personally speaking (and from experience from talking to customers), I think that the public in general actually know that a disco for a wedding may cost them more than the usual party disco. The fact that a lot of us do both doesn't really matter or register with them. There are a number of thoughts that I have on this subject and I will try to put them across as best I can but I am sure I will muck up along the way so apologies in advance.

Firstly, with weddings, most of the time the word 'budget' is usually mentioned. Not 'budget' in the sense that they want '£Poundstretcher' quality entertainment but 'budget' in that they have allocated funds for such and such. It could be that when the bride and groom sit down months, sometimes years before their big day, they say "Right...Wedding Cake = £xxx, Disco = £xxx and so on. I have heard other DJ's say it aloud in the past that you can boost the price up because people know a wedding disco will cost them more. Example: They may charge £250.00 for their usual private parties but will double it to £500.00 because of the 'Big W' word. Just because someone has a budget of (example) £800.00 for a wedding disco doesn't mean that you can go from £250.00 to £800.00 when in reality you are doing what you would normally do....not in my book anyway.

I think personally that the above example is out of order but that's just my thoughts and I expect some people to disagree with me. It IS like nipping round to some old grannies house who isn't completely with it and charging her well over the odds for plumbing because you know she'll have the money and won't argue....ok, a bit extreme but that's how I see it.

To me, the most important part of the whole wedding booking is the first contact with the bride and groom at the consultation. It's all added into the price and doesn't take that long to do but (from feedback I have received) it means the world to them. Going to see a couple that may well be a tad nervous about the whole thing and reassuring them that everything will be fine and they are in good hands makes both them and myself feel good. 9 times out of 10 (in my experience) at first it will be the bride who does all the talking with the groom sat there taking everything in and probably wishing he was somewhere else...BUT...by the end of the consultation, when I have gone through how I do things, listened to their expectations and gone through all the music etc...they are both excited. This has happened 100% of the time that I have had consultations and I achieve my aim which is to leave their house (or wherever we meet) with them smiling and really looking forward to their big day. That first meeting is the most important thing to me for starters because they know who they are getting straight away and I am passing on my experience and answering their questions/concerns. The most important thing to the bride and groom (in my experience) is that first dance and getting that out of the way. I advise the different ways of going about it and advise them that they should do exactly what they are comfortable with.
Some brides and grooms love the limelight and may dance to a whole song on their own, sometimes two. Some hate the limelight and want the DJ to ask the family and friends to join them after a minute of the song etc...Some want to have their first dance as the first song of the evening, some want it (and rightly so in my opinion) when the majority of friends and family are there so that no'one misses out on any photo opportunities. It's all stuff like that, they you can advise and put their minds at rest. Some are scared of the thought of getting up infront of everyone. I am there to make it easy for them and most of all...enjoyable.

Apart from extras like uplighting or sorting out access and set up times, there really isn't much else to do to be fair. Music and specific requests can be sorted out in advance during the week.

rob1963
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Because everyone assumes I am talking about the work I do for First Dance DJs, which I am not, as that is focused more along the lines of the traditional Wedding DJ services many of you offer.

As I said I still do "normal" discos, I just prefer the bespoke service that I can also offer and do provide directly from referrals throughout the year.

Why are people trying to second guess all the time? You can't catch me out, I know what I do and how I do it!!

Lets not forget as well I include everything in the prep time I mention, including travel to and from meetings. With some venues an hour away I only have to meet the clients twice to burn through 6 or 7 hours of my time and I charge for it.

Anyway I think this thread is going round in circles now so that's enough from me. :)

Steve,

Just to clarify things, I wasn't trying to second guess anything and I certainly wasn't trying to catch you out.

I simply didn't understand what you were saying in the previous post which I quoted, and I apologise if it came across differently.

Firstly, with weddings, most of the time the word 'budget' is usually mentioned. Not 'budget' in the sense that they want '£Poundstretcher' quality entertainment but 'budget' in that they have allocated funds for such and such. It could be that when the bride and groom sit down months, sometimes years before their big day, they say "Right...Wedding Cake = £xxx, Disco = £xxx and so on. I have heard other DJ's say it aloud in the past that you can boost the price up because people know a wedding disco will cost them more. Example: They may charge £250.00 for their usual private parties but will double it to £500.00 because of the 'Big W' word. Just because someone has a budget of (example) £800.00 for a wedding disco doesn't mean that you can go from £250.00 to £800.00 when in reality you are doing what you would normally do....not in my book anyway.

Well said, Gary.

I have nothing against people charging more for weddings WHEN THEY INVOLVE MORE WORK that other types of function, but I know there are people who charge more simply because they can (due to the fact that the average wedding budget is £20,000...which is probably a bit more than the budget for a birthday party!), and in my opinion this is bad practice.

paull
05-01-2010, 08:31 AM
I find at most weddings it is the DJ that has to pull the evening together, which is a big responsibility and has to be done diplomaticly as people will have had quite a few drinks by then. At 80% of the weddings I play at, if I just turned up and did the usual plug and play the evening would not gone as it should. for example, the cake would not get cut, the first dance would not be till 21.30, the music the bride and groom had asked for does not get people dancing so do I carry on playing it?

I charge more, becasuse I will not sit by and watch this stuff happen, because I am just the DJ, as far as I am concerned after the meal has finished the success of the reception is down to me. The timing of how you do things is important, are people looking bored (the B&G are always busy so rarely see this) have the evening guests arrived, if people have been drinking since midday some are going to have trouble dancing after about 22.00

I know I will be doing a lot more at a very important occasion and have no problem at all charging more for exactly the same amount of hours actualy DJing.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I know I will be doing a lot more at a very important occasion and have no problem at all charging more for exactly the same amount of hours actualy DJing.

If I charged extra for the effort put in on the night i'd be up there with the high earners on the site.I do all of those things mentioned in your post...but they come as standard........:eek: :D ;)

paull
05-01-2010, 09:03 AM
You may be happy to do extra work and not charge for it, I am not. As much as I love what I do, I am also in a business with mouths to feed and Universities fees to pay. Can I ask why you do not wish to be a high earner?

rob1963
05-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I find at most weddings it is the DJ that has to pull the evening together

Really?

What are a best man, wedding planner & toastmaster for then?

It seems to me that some people in this thread think they are more important than they actually are in the proceedings at a wedding reception.

In most cases, aren't we are hired as DJs or mobile discos?

After all, isn't this the Mobile Disco Directory forum rather than a wedding planners forum?

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 09:18 AM
If I charged extra for the effort put in on the night i'd be up there with the high earners on the site.I do all of those things mentioned in your post...but they come as standard........:eek: :D ;)
Snap.

Really?

It seems to me that some people in this thread think they are more important than they actually are in the proceedings at a wedding reception.

After all, isn't this the Mobile Disco Directory forum rather than a wedding planners forum?

Rob, go and lie down. You've started making sense again, that's worrying.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Can I ask why you do not wish to be a high earner?

I am paid adequately for what I provide.I lack the technical expertise to provide what the high earners on the site provide.I thought DMXing was what kids do on a special bike;) :D

I'd rather stay Netto end of the market if its ok with you....In a recession its the best place to be.Without upsetting other forum members who get offended when I say it....I'm busy enough.I couldn't imagine actually telling a Bride and Groom that its costing them more because your trying a bit harder.If I booked a proffesional at £50/£60 an hour I would be expecting him to try his best as standard.

I am a serial Husband.....In the unlikely event I was scanning Websites for the DJ at my next wedding I would avoid the ones charging extra for a Wedding Service. I would have to ask the justification for this.

Reverse Psychology....why not say you are £500 a night....but you'll offer a £150 discount in the unforunate event that it is only your milestone birthday we are doing. :bang:

Before..anyone says it...this started as a money thread....I am merely contributing;)

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Really?

You know as well as the rest of us, that there are many many weddings that do without the last 2 (irrespective of whether the best man is sober enough to remember his own name let alone organise things). Even if they do have them, the Toastmaster in particular usually buggers off straight after the first dance & I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I've seen WPs hang round to ensure the evening reception goes OK.

Are you telling me that (as the focal point of the evenings entertainment) the DJ doesn't pull the evening together? Don't you make announcements (cake cutting, first dance, bouquet / garter throwing etc), play music while the cake is being cut / bouquet is being thrown, arrange people into the leaving arch / circle etc etc??????

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

paull
05-01-2010, 09:43 AM
As I said 80% of weddings are like this, the other 20% have a sober best man or a toast master.

I am hired as a DJ, but end up doing a lot more as I do not feel comfortable sitting there thinking its OK I am only the DJ, when things start going pear shaped.

It seems to me that some people do not realise how important they actually are in the procedings at a wedding reception. Or they provide a lesser service. In either case, I totally understand why they charge less than those who appreciate the responsibilty.

TonyB
05-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Really?

The best mans duties normally seem to end once he has done his speech and in any case they probably aren't seasoned wedding professionals who have much of an idea or experience to organise what happens in the evening.

You are lucky if the toastmaster is still there to announce the first dance (if they have one).

Most brides seem to like to plan the weddings themselves. Venues often have wedding coordinators but very often are conspicuous by their absence once the evening starts (perhaps in certain cases when they realise that they have someone who they can trust to take over, they step back and let them get on with it).

So these roles can very often end up in the lap of the DJ if they so wish to take the responsibility and demonstrate their knowledge and experience in dealing with such matters. If they don't then its understandable that they would just expect to get paid the same as they would for any other function. If they do then it is reasonable to get paid extra for taking on the extra responsibilities :)

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
You know as well as the rest of us, that there are many many weddings that do without the last 2 (irrespective of whether the best man is sober enough to remember his own name let alone organise things). Even if they do have them, the Toastmaster in particular usually buggers off straight after the first dance & I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I've seen WPs hang round to ensure the evening reception goes OK.

Are you telling me that (as the focal point of the evenings entertainment) the DJ doesn't pull the evening together? Don't you make announcements (cake cutting, first dance, bouquet / garter throwing etc), play music while the cake is being cut / bouquet is being thrown, arrange people into the leaving arch / circle etc etc??????

Steve, your experience of weddings seems very similar to mine. ;)

As I said 80% of weddings are like this, the other 20% have a sober best man or a toast master.

I am hired as a DJ, but end up doing a lot more as I do not feel comfortable sitting there thinking its OK I am only the DJ, when things start going pear shaped.

It seems to me that some people do not realise how important they actually are in the procedings at a wedding reception. Or they provide a lesser service. In either case, I totally understand why they charge less than those who appreciate the responsibilty.

I think what Martin and I ( and possibly Steve, though I'm not sure) are saying is that we do all these things at a wedding. The difference is, we see them as part of the job, included in the deal, and we don't need adulation and extra wonga for it.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Rob, go and lie down. You've started making sense again, that's worrying.

It was one of my new year's resolutions!

Really?

My point is that by the time the disco starts, there's not much left to "pull together" as the person I previously quoted put it.

I can't remember the last time I announced the garter throwing, I've never played music while the cake is being cut and I can't remember the last time I did a leaving arch or circle.

However, you're right...I do play music & make announcements, although I hardly think that counts as "pulling everything together"

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Steve, your experience of weddings seems very similar to mine. ;)

I think what Martin and I ( and possibly Steve, though I'm not sure) are saying is that we do all these things at a wedding. The difference is, we see them as part of the job, included in the deal, and we don't need adulation and extra wonga for it.

Agreeing with amazing regularity just lately Peter....Age thing??:beer1: :eek: :beer1: :eek:

rob1963
05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
The best mans duties normally seem to end once he has done his speech and in any case they probably aren't seasoned wedding professionals who have much of an idea or experience to organise what happens in the evening.

Whilst the best man probably isn't a seasoned wedding professional, the groom will have talked to him about what is happening & when, and the best man will probably know the groom better than anyone (especially the DJ), which puts him in a pretty good position when it comes to organising things.

jc light and sound
05-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Most professional djs and by that i mean those of us who only work as a dj and nothing else will charge for any gig from £250.
I know a lot of hobby/part time djs who are very happy to run with there 80s equipment which is battered and broken just to earn some beer money if you told them to pay for instance a £1000 for a dj booth they would have a heart attack.
Its horses for courses i know we don't like money threads on here but it has to be said i run a business and i do so to support my family and lifestyle and i consider my business to be a credit to the time effort i put into it and as such the price reflects.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 10:18 AM
if you told them to pay for instance a £1000 for a dj booth they would have a heart attack.

jc...you are pidgeonholing.I don't have a DJ booth because it doesn't suit the way I do things....the outlay is not a problem.

However.....I do use 2 starcloths that are mounted professionally behind me....sometimes its better to look beyond the twinkling LED's.:bang: :bang:

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
My point is that by the time the disco starts, there's not much left to "pull together" as the person I previously quoted put it.
Apart from the things I listed above

I can't remember the last time I announced the garter throwing, I've never played music while the cake is being cut and I can't remember the last time I did a leaving arch or circle. If they were throwing the garter you would announce it would you not? I'm assuming that you wouldn't just let them get on with it & hope that enough people knew what was going on. My point is, all of this & more is discussed (either verbally or on forms) with the B&G beforehand. Many times they aren't even aware of some of the traditions or that they can be included in the evening's festivities. Also in many cases it hadn't occurred to them that things like cake cutting etc can have musical accompaniment.

Discussing & including details like those I've mentioned has often lead to happy clients, happy guests, repeat bookings & recommendations / referrals etc...

The little details make the event more (for want of a better word) personal for the clients. Regardless of whether every wedding you do has a first dance, mother / father dances, cake cutting, bouquet / garter toss, leaving arch / circle, (or none of the above) the B&G will see the evening as being made more personal for them.

Many's the time when I've had to dictate (maybe too strong a word) the timings of such things to ensure the evening flows well & isn't too stop start for the clients & their guests. For this reason alone you become far more than just the "entertainment".

I guess there is a vast difference between the way we operate. After all, you do primarily quizzes with the odd disco here or there. Whereas all of our business is disco related (the bulk of that being weddings). It only makes sense that we pay more attention to detail on the things that are the main focus of our business. If anything I think we should focus more on this side of things, as quite often when attending weddings as a guest I've seen this sort of thing be largely ignored & the evening may well have been a birthday / Xmas party for all the focus the B&G got (& before you say it, yes I'm fully aware that some don't want to be the focus of attention, but that's up to them)

rob1963
05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Getting back to charging more for weddings, we all know there ARE people who do this, even when there's NO more work involved.

They probably do so because they know they can get away with it, as they know there will be a massive budget for the wedding, so it follows that the budget for the disco will also be higher than it would for a birthday party or other event.

In effect, these people are therefore charging based on the client's ability to pay.

Does that mean these people charge double if someone has a big house & is obviously quite well off? Will they quadruple their rates if they are booked by a celebrity who is a millionaire?

At the other end of the scale, will they give a 50% discount if they discover the bride & groom are both unemployed? I suspect not!

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Whilst the best man probably isn't a seasoned wedding professional, the groom will have talked to him about what is happening & when,
Because obviously the groom is a seasoned wedding professional ;)

Getting back to charging more for weddings, we all know there ARE people who do this, even when there's NO more work involved.

They probably do so because they know they can get away with it, as they know there will be a massive budget for the wedding, so it follows that the budget for the disco will also be higher than it would for a birthday party or other event.

In effect, these people are therefore charging based on the client's ability to pay.

Does that mean these people charge double if someone has a big house & is obviously quite well off? Will they quadruple their rates if they are booked by a celebrity who is a millionaire?

At the other end of the scale, will they give a 50% discount if they discover the bride & groom are both unemployed? I suspect not!
That's it Rob, when it looks like you're not going to win with one tactic, change the focus of your argument.

I'll not dispute there are those that will charge more purely because they can get away with it. It's like those who charge more for a bigger show, knowing full well that the only real difference is a couple of extra lights. The point is most people who do charge extra for weddings do so because there is more work involved & not just through greed.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 10:43 AM
After all, you do primarily quizzes with the odd disco here or there.

:jawdrop:

Thats not the impression I get....Rob.Checked the rota.....it is you this week again.

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Not more important Rob, just treated differently because we do things differently.

As the old saying goes, "If you always do what you have always done then you will always get what you have always got".

Depending on where the enquiry comes from in most cases I am. In a minority of cases the actual DJing bit is just a small part of the overall service I offer.

I'm sorry that the fact I have more to offer than just playing music is so hard to compute but then the world would be a dull place if we all did the same eh?

Just because you can't handle doing more than "just playing music" doesn't mean others don't want to learn new techniques and add other strings to their bow.

Should we be discussing mood lighting or PA hire because it isn't the nuts and bolts of doing a disco? Of course we should, it is all connected.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Apart from the things I listed above
If they were throwing the garter you would announce it would you not?

Of course I would.

The point I'm making is that in my book making announcements & playing music doesn't count as "pulling everything together", and while I accept we are an important part of the reception, there are some of us who are probably a LESS important part of the day than they like to think.

Also in many cases it hadn't occurred to them that things like cake cutting etc can have musical accompaniment.

To be honest, I think that's a horrible idea, which is probably why I've never been asked to do it & why I'd NEVER suggest it to a wedding client.

In my opinion, there should be no music when the cake is being cut, so you can hear what everyone (including the bride & groom) are saying and get the full atmosphere of the event.

I guess there is a vast difference between the way we operate. After all, you do primarily quizzes with the odd disco here or there. Whereas all of our business is disco related (the bulk of that being weddings).

Yes, there is a vast difference between the way we operate, as I do primarily quizzes & you do primarily discos. You also seem to do a fair few pub discos whereas I virtually always avoid these, as it's not my market.

However, I certainly don't do "the odd disco here or there". Apart from the early part of the year & the late part of the year, I'm out doing a disco virtually every weekend. I did my first one the year last Saturday, my next one is a week on Saturday and there is also a chance I might have one THIS Saturday, too...and this is my QUIET part of the year on the disco front!

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I can't remember the last time I announced the garter throwing, I've never played music while the cake is being cut and I can't remember the last time I did a leaving arch or circle.

McWedding alert! :eek:

However, you're right...I do play music & make announcements, although I hardly think that counts as "pulling everything together"

See here (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pedantic).

Whilst the best man probably isn't a seasoned wedding professional, the groom will have talked to him about what is happening & when, and the best man will probably know the groom better than anyone (especially the DJ), which puts him in a pretty good position when it comes to organising things.

Putting a great deal of faith in someone who in reality may know very little about proceedings aren't you?

As others have pointed out usually it is the Bride and Bride alone who has the plan and it is much better to extract the key details from her before she is trying to relax and enjoy her day don't you think?

That is the one thing I hate about agency bookings where I have to arrive, set up, then try and extract key details from a busy Bride. :(

Its horses for courses i know we don't like money threads on here but it has to be said i run a business and i do so to support my family and lifestyle and i consider my business to be a credit to the time effort i put into it and as such the price reflects.

Good for you, stick to your guns.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 10:58 AM
That's it Rob, when it looks like you're not going to win with one tactic, change the focus of your argument.

That's not what I was doing at all, Steve.

I was typing post 152 at the same time as you were typing post 151 (look at the times on them), so I didn't see your post until AFTER I'd entered MY post.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-01-2010, 11:01 AM
:jawdrop:

Thats not the impression I get....Rob.Checked the rota.....it is you this week again.

There is no need for this post and if you once again start to stir things up, I will delete your posts without notice.

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Right, so now I see where I've been going wrong all this time. When a customer rings up and asks " How much will it cost" I should reply "How much can you afford". ;) Simples.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 11:18 AM
As the old saying goes, "If you always do what you have always done then you will always get what you have always got".

Very true, and yet in a recent thread asking how we improved our disco last year, I was one of only a handful of people who listed all the ways they HAD improved. Presumably most of those who didn't reply are the ones who ARE still doing what they've always done.

I'm sorry that the fact I have more to offer than just playing music is so hard to compute but then the world would be a dull place if we all did the same eh?

It certainly would!

Just because you can't handle doing more than "just playing music" doesn't mean others don't want to learn new techniques and add other strings to their bow.

With all due respect, I haven't said I can't handle more than just playing music (as you well know), as I certainly do more than that.

However, when it comes to extra services such as wedding planning, uplighting, dance floor hire etc etc, these are not things I can't handle, just things I'm not INTERESTED in doing, as I prefer to be able to give 100% to the actual disco.

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
...and while I accept we are an important part of the reception, there are some of us who are probably a LESS important part of the day than they like to think.

That's right, you keep having your little digs, it's water of a ducks back. :D

I find it quite amusing that you expect everyone to take what you say about your service on face value yet if someone says they do something a little different you:

Delete As Applicable

1. Don't think clients want it
2. Have never had to do it so don't think clients need it
3. Can't see how it can be successful if you have never done it
4. Can't accept that clients who may want a bespoke service won't book you
5. Don't believe anything non disco specific is within your remit
6. Can't understand why any DJ would want to do more or stretch themselves

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Very true, and yet in a recent thread asking how we improved our disco last year, I was one of only a handful of people who listed all the ways they HAD improved. Presumably most of those who didn't reply are the ones who ARE still doing what they've always done.

Or maybe they didn't feel the need to share?

Most of us have something called "lives" as well and don't spend all day drumming up 1000's of pointless posts on forums.

However, when it comes to extra services such as wedding planning, uplighting, dance floor hire etc etc, these are not things I can't handle, just things I'm not INTERESTED in doing, as I prefer to be able to give 100% to the actual disco.

So why this constant interest in all the additional things others are doing?

You do love to get involved with lots of topics that have no interest to you and talk about services that you will never offer don't you?

soundtracker
05-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I wonder if at this juncture we should adjourn to read Darren's recent post about trolling?

rob1963
05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
That's right, you keep having your little digs, it's water of a ducks back. :D

As was this dig at ME water off a duck's back:

:D

I find it quite amusing that you expect everyone to take what you say about your service on face value yet if someone says they do something a little different you:

Delete As Applicable

6. Can't understand why any DJ would want do more or stretch themselves

I don't mind whether people take what I say about my business at face falue or not, as it makes no difference to me.

However, I am probably more open about how I operate & what I charge than the majority of people on here. Maybe too honest & open for my own good.

I don't mind what other people do, I'm merely joining in with the thread by giving my honest opinions about the things being discussed.

Or maybe they didn't feel the need to share?

Most of us have something called "lives" as well and don't spend all day drumming up 1000's of pointless posts on forums.

How on earth can you suggest that posts in a thread about how people have improved their business is pointless? I'm gobsmacked!

Surely what we are all doing to improve our business is one of the most important things that can be discussed on the forum?

You do love to get involved with lots of topics that have no interest to you and talk about services that you will never offer don't you?

I don't love to get involves with lots of topics I have no interest in at all. In case you haven't noticed, I usually post in less than HALF of the sections on the forum.

I just have a massive interest in this particular thread, as I find it fascinating and without doubt one of the most interesting threads that's ever appeared on the forum, hence my posts, whether on aspects I'm interested in or not.

Others clearly think the same, as its already one of the most viewed & replied to threads on the entire forum.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I wonder if at this juncture we should adjourn to read Darren's recent post about trolling?

Is that necessary, Pete?

I read the trolling thread when Darren first posted it, and recall it was about making outrageous posts on forums to bait people to reply.

Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen any outrageous posts in this thread.

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
The point I'm making is that in my book making announcements & playing music doesn't count as "pulling everything together"on their own, no they don't, but I notice you conveniently either ignore or dismiss the other points.

To be honest, I think that's a horrible idea, which is probably why I've never been asked to do it & why I'd NEVER suggest it to a wedding client.Well, you stick to what you do then. A hell of a lot of our clients obviously think it's a great idea (one actually described it as wonderful) as a lot of them choose to have it.

In my opinion, there should be no music when the cake is being cut, so you can hear what everyone (including the bride & groom) are saying and get the full atmosphere of the event. 3 points on this one. Firstly, "in my opinion". Well obviously in your opinion or you wouldn't be saying it. Thankfully not everyone is of that opinion (see above)
Secondly, "hear what everyone (including the bride & groom) are saying" Not a lot when they have a fixed grin on their faces for the photos that are being taken. Also the music is of course at this point at background level & not booming out at full volume.

That's not what I was doing at all, Steve.

I was typing post 152 at the same time as you were typing post 151 (look at the times on them), so I didn't see your post until AFTER I'd entered MY post.I wasn't talking specifically about you replying to my post. There are at least 2 others that posted before me on similar lines to my post.

Delete As Applicable

You've hit the nail on the head.

You've noticed that too huh?

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 12:06 PM
As was this dig at ME water off a duck's back:
From a moderating point of view I can say that it doesn't appear to be a dig. More an observation.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 12:13 PM
From a moderating point of view I can say that it doesn't appear to be a dig. More an observation.

In that case, Where have I said I can't handle more than just playing music?

Firstly I've never said I can't handle more than that, and secondly I've never said I just play music.

As for your previous post, we'll just agree to differ, then.

soundtracker
05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Is that necessary, Pete?

I read the trolling thread when Darren first posted it, and recall it was about making outrageous posts on forums to bait people to reply.

Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen any outrageous posts in this thread.

Please re-read the post, there is a lot more to trolling than being outrageous.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Please re-read the post, there is a lot more to trolling than being outrageous.

Thanks for the advice, Pete.

Having read the whole post again, I'm pleased to be able to put my hand on my heart & say that I'm not a troll.

I hope your request that I read the thread again was not suggesting otherwise.

paull
05-01-2010, 01:20 PM
By not charging people who who hire you for doing a normal disco less than for a wedding disco which you do more work in for the same number of hours are you overcharging the normal disco client or undercharging the wedding client?

rob1963
05-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I feel the need to clarify a few things concerning your following points:

if someone says they do something a little different you:

Not at all. If other people do something different, I'm sure their clients DO want it, although that doesn't necessarily mean that MINE would.

I think that's a pretty good gauge.

If I start getting regular enquiries about something I don't do, there's a good chance I WILL start doing it!

I've never said that. I fully accept that other people do things which I've never done which they find successful, and I'm very pleased for them.

I'm sure there are also things that I do successfully which many OTHERS have not done!

I CAN fully accept this. Clients won't book me for all sorts of reasons, including wanting a more bespoke service than they think I can or will provide, and and that's absolutely fine with me.

If people want someone to spend ages on their booking and they hire you instead of me as a result, I'm completely happy with this.

Theres no way in a million years that I want to spend nearly as long on each booking as I used to spend working in the bank in an entire week...regardless of what I might be able to charge clients.

All want from my business is a higher profit each year than the previous year & more positive feedback from clients each year, and I'm succeeding with both.

Well, things that aren't to do with discos or quiz nights are less relevant to me, although I accept there are sometimes things which overlap.

I fully understand that.

However, at my age & being in my situation, I don't particularly want to do more or stretch myself (apart from continuously improving my service).

To be honest, if you were my age & in my situation, you'd probably feel the same.

We all provide different services for all sorts of reasons, and I accept that you and I will have many different opinions because your business is very different to mine, and that's largely because you're situation & requirements are very different to mine.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 01:29 PM
By not charging people who who hire you for doing a normal disco less than for a wedding disco which you do more work in for the same number of hours are you overcharging the normal disco client or undercharging the wedding client?

Personally....I'm doing neither.....

I'm bang on the money with both.I work my socks off at both....mentally.Somebodies Birthday may be just as important to another persons Wedding....If you know what I mean.

To chat to the Bride (or birthday person) during the event is not a chargeable service in my opinion....likewise to make a few announcements...Hell....I very often throw in a few free Glostix at some of them....couldn't imagine setting up a stall for them!!:bang: :eek: :eek: :bang:

simonp
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Should we be discussing mood lighting or PA hire because it isn't the nuts and bolts of doing a disco?

Rubbish, no it's not :confused:

I feel the need to clarify a few things concerning your following points:

Not at all. If other people do something different, I'm sure their clients DO want it, although that doesn't necessarily mean that MINE would.

I think that's a pretty good gauge.

If I start getting regular enquiries about something I don't do, there's a good chance I WILL start doing it!

I've never said that. I fully accept that other people do things which I've never done which they find successful, and I'm very pleased for them.

I'm sure there are also things that I do successfully which many OTHERS have not done!

I CAN fully accept this. Clients won't book me for all sorts of reasons, including wanting a more bespoke service than they think I can or will provide, and and that's absolutely fine with me.

If people want someone to spend ages on their booking and they hire you instead of me as a result, I'm completely happy with this.

Theres no way in a million years that I want to spend nearly as long on each booking as I used to spend working in the bank in an entire week...regardless of what I might be able to charge clients.

All want from my business is a higher profit each year than the previous year & more positive feedback from clients each year, and I'm succeeding with both.

Well, things that aren't to do with discos or quiz nights are less relevant to me, although I accept there are sometimes things which overlap.

I fully understand that.

However, at my age & being in my situation, I don't particularly want to do more or stretch myself (apart from continuously improving my service).

To be honest, if you were my age & in my situation, you'd probably feel the same.

We all provide different services for all sorts of reasons, and I accept that you and I will have many different opinions because your business is very different to mine, and that's largely because you're situation & requirements are very different to mine.

Can I say, well said/wrote/put Rob

rob1963
05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Can I say, well said/wrote/put Rob

Cheers Pridders.

I do like you!

P.S. Not in that way, before anyone suggests anything!

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 02:25 PM

And therin lies the problem here.On the one hand we have Charlie in the dynamism of youth wanting to do something different every week(Importer....Policeman ETC) and SOME of us already happy with what we have acheived and coasting towards a comfortable retirement....and the vast majority acheiving a spot in the middle.

Hard for youngsters to see our point of view ....but equally sometimes hard for us to remember that we were a bit like that too.

But at the end of the day....we are all DJ's(or Music Presenters....as I was described the other day).Rob and I seem to bear the brunt of a lot of the flack on here whilst the protective arm falls readily around the younger element at the earliest opportunity.....which I suppose is nice.We're older so we should be able to bear it.

I have quoted only part of Robs last post.....but if you really sat down and read all of it you would see it was sincere and from a man who has great knowledge and experience.Like the much younger Pridders....I was impressed...

andyw
05-01-2010, 02:39 PM
i sat down and read the whole thread earlier and i must say it's interesting, a lot of people seem to be agreeing with each other but still arguing/disagreeing over it , we seem to have 2 sides 1 saying weddings are more work and so it's alright to charge more, the other saying it's no more work so we don't charge more. i agree with both, if you put more work/hours into it then you shoud be paid for that time, if on the other hand you don't put the extra time in then you should charge your going rate not increase it because of the w word ( i wish i could get more in my day job every time my suppervisor mentions the w word to me:eek: oops wrong word)
we don't charge any more for weddings if (and no we are not ripping off general parties), if someone gives us a playlist for a birthday we would put the same work into getting those songs as if it was a wedding, we will dresss suitably for any event ( if someone asked me to wear a tie to an anniversary we would and not say thats an extra £!0). we will meet clients at a venue whether it's a wedding or a birthday (even done it for an engagement before now, a good chance for me to meet the manager and give pat/pli details face to face which goes down well.) i think in the early pages someone was talking about being sued if things went wrong we carry the same back up for all events(i dont ever want a party to finish early because we aint equipped properly not even a childrens disco). if we were asked to turn up in the afternoon to setup and wait around they would be charged for that time but only at the normal rate,having said all that i have roadied for dj's that do go the extra mile and charge for it, and i have no problems with that they are aiming at different clients to us:)

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Rubbish, no it's not :confused:

I don't understand, no it's not what? :confused:

andyw
05-01-2010, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=StarZSoundS;403227]
Rob and I seem to bear the brunt of a lot of the flack on here whilst the protective arm falls readily around the younger element at the earliest opportunity.....which I suppose is nice.We're older so we should be able to bear it.

QUOTE]

why you have had to bring charlie into this i don't know, he certainly hasn't said anything in this thread to warrant it,
you wonder why you get flack and the youngsters don't, maybe they need nurturing and incouragement to do things right and if we can get them doing that then we have achieved something for them and the industry if we keep knocking them down and they will disappear, you are old enough to know better or to stuck in your ways to change , think of all the mistakes you made a 16 and how some of them could of been prevented if you access to a forum like this, and for the record charlie gets stick when he deserves it but we dont have to destroy him when he makes a mistake we can point it out and help him move on,

simonp
05-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't understand, no it's not what? :confused:

quick reminder - you said mood lighting and PA Hire were the nuts and bolts of doing a wedding disco.

I might have read it wrong, but to me, nuts and bolts hold everything together, so in that context what you were saying about mood lighting and PA Hire is rubbish (no offence it just is).

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 03:03 PM
quick reminder - you said mood lighting and PA Hire were the nuts and bolts of doing a wedding disco.

Quick reminder - no I didn't...

Should we be discussing mood lighting or PA hire because it isn't the nuts and bolts of doing a disco?

I might have read it wrong...

So you did...

...but to me, nuts and bolts hold everything together, so in that context what you were saying about mood lighting and PA Hire is rubbish (no offence it just is).

No offence taken because in this context you are talking rubbish. :p

simonp
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
No offence taken because in this context you are talking rubbish. :p

Yup, Just seen, I read your post totally wrong - engage brain before typing syndrome, apologies sorry - spank me stupid and send me to Wales :(

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=StarZSoundS;403227]
Rob and I seem to bear the brunt of a lot of the flack on here whilst the protective arm falls readily around the younger element at the earliest opportunity.....which I suppose is nice.We're older so we should be able to bear it.

QUOTE]

why you have had to bring charlie into this i don't know, he certainly hasn't said anything in this thread to warrant it,
you wonder why you get flack and the youngsters don't, maybe they need nurturing and incouragement to do things right and if we can get them doing that then we have achieved something for them and the industry if we keep knocking them down and they will disappear, you are old enough to know better or to stuck in your ways to change , think of all the mistakes you made a 16 and how some of them could of been prevented if you access to a forum like this, and for the record charlie gets stick when he deserves it but we dont have to destroy him when he makes a mistake we can point it out and help him move on,

Ok ...most on here know who the older and younger posters are on here....Just using the lad as an example.

Referring to stuck in your ways and making mistakes when I was younger I think I admitted to doing the same in my post.....Hey....I'm still making mistakes now!!

andyw
05-01-2010, 03:24 PM
[quote=andyw;403234]

Ok ...most on here know who the older and younger posters are on here....Just using the lad as an example.

Referring to stuck in your ways and making mistakes when I was younger I think I admitted to doing the same in my post.....Hey....I'm still making mistakes now!!

my point was if you had access to a forum like this when you we young/or just started, a lot of the mistakes you made could of been avoided but if the others on th forum didnt take you seriously or knocked you at every opportunity you would not of hung around and listened to them or at least i wouldn't

rob1963
05-01-2010, 03:33 PM
It's like those who charge more for a bigger show, knowing full well that the only real difference is a couple of extra lights.

I missed this when reading the thread earlier. Now I wonder who THIS can be a dig at?

More lights = More time. More time = More charge. Simple! :D

That's why some people charge more for discos over 20 or 30 miles away, why some people charge for customer meetings & why some people charge for gigs in upstairs function rooms. For the record, I don't charge extra for ANY of these.

CRAZY K
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I missed this when reading the thread earlier. Now I wonder who THIS can be a dig at?

That's why some people charge more for discos over 20 or 30 miles away, why some people charge for customer meetings & why some people charge for gigs in upstairs function rooms. For the record, I don't charge extra for ANY of these.

If you were using heavier speakers upstairs with no lift you might Rob.

I just refused to quote for an upstairs job in Hednesford for that very reason and I know a lot of Discos in Northampton do the same or charge extra for a roadie, I cant get one:eek:

regards

Alan

CRAZY K

Steve the DJ
05-01-2010, 03:42 PM

It doesn't seem very simple to me! :confused:

Why is the time it takes to put up a few extra lights chargeable, yet extra travel and meetings (both of which will take up more of your time), are not?

I just refused to quote for an upstairs job in Hednesford for that very reason and I know a lot of Discos in Northampton do the same or charge extra for a roadie, I cant get one:eek:

I don't do jobs without decent lift access either.

rob1963
05-01-2010, 03:43 PM
If you were using heavier speakers upstairs with no lift you might Rob.

Indeed.

Especially if they had teardrop handles!

:run:

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 03:56 PM
[quote=StarZSoundS;403241]

my point was if you had access to a forum like this when you we young/or just started, a lot of the mistakes you made could of been avoided but if the others on th forum didnt take you seriously or knocked you at every opportunity you would not of hung around and listened to them or at least i wouldn't

ANDY....your not that much younger than me.We had Raleigh Choppers and Pogo Sticks at their age....not the information highway and drawing well over £200 a night...you're hung up on one particular aspect of my post.Its an imponderable because there was nothing like this Forum then...they are indeed very fortunate in many ways...but I don't have a problem with that.

What I cannot grasp is that some of us on here who have been doing this for donkies years are viewed as knowing nothing about the business.If the trick is to stay in the business as long as possible then we deserve some respect for still being here at a ripe old age...or maybe I have it all wrong??

rob1963
05-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Why is the time it takes to put up a few extra lights chargeable, yet extra travel and meetings (both of which will take up more of your time), are not?

Why? Because 85% of my clients have "a few extra lights" whereas hardly ANY have discos involving extra travel and hardly ANY have meetings!

andyw
05-01-2010, 04:04 PM
[quote=andyw;403242]

ANDY....your not that much younger than me.We had Raleigh Choppers and Pogo Sticks at their age....not the information highway and drawing well over £200 a night...you're hung up on one particular aspect of my post.Its an imponderable because there was nothing like this Forum then...they are indeed very fortunate in many ways...but I don't have a problem with that.

What I cannot grasp is that some of us on here who have been doing this for donkies years are viewed as knowing nothing about the business.If the trick is to stay in the business as long as possible then we deserve some respect for still being here at a ripe old age...or maybe I have it all wrong??

im not saying you don't deserve respect on the contrary i though you and rob have made some very good valid points in this thread,i didnt know how or why you brought charlie into it though, as for your first point about raliegh choppers and pogo sticks i would honestly say i think that made us the lucky ones, we had to entertain ourselves in those days, anyway i think we are hijacking this thread so i am going to keep quiet for a bit and reminise about my chopper(no taking that the wrong way you lot) that was a real bike for real boys

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Perhaps it has something to do with not evolving?

Perhaps it has something to do with having a pop at the youngsters at every opportunity?

Perhaps the younger guys think you haven't done particularly well even if you have been in business for a long time.

Being in business a long time (and part time) doesn't make you any good.

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 05:04 PM
i sat down and read the whole thread earlier.........

.......that they are aiming at different clients to us:)Ever the diplomat Andy :sj:

Not a dig, just an example.

I could say the same about your comment about us doing a lot of pub gigs. You seem to be trying to imply that we work in a lot of pubs. I feel obliged to clarify (not that there is anything wrong with doing pub gigs if that is where your market lies (a bit like quizzes)) We only work in one pub, but it is a residency, ergo we do a lot of gigs there. It's a nice easy "bread & butter" job & it's quite a late start meaning that any of our DJs can do it even the ones with "day jobs" So to clarify a lot of gigs in one pub, not a lot of pub gigs. Even taking this into account the bulk of our work is wedding based.

andyw
05-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Ever the diplomat Andy :sj:

thanks steve (i think), i would be interested in hearing more about your music during the cake idea (not in this thread though i don't want to hijack it again) the best song i can think of is the first cut is the deepest:eek:

rob1963
05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Not a dig, just an example.

I could say the same about your comment about us doing a lot of pub gigs. You seem to be trying to imply that we work in a lot of pubs. I feel obliged to clarify (not that there is anything wrong with doing pub gigs if that is where your market lies (a bit like quizzes)) We only work in one pub, but it is a residency, ergo we do a lot of gigs there. It's a nice easy "bread & butter" job & it's quite a late start meaning that any of our DJs can do it even the ones with "day jobs" So to clarify a lot of gigs in one pub, not a lot of pub gigs. Even taking this into account the bulk of our work is wedding based.

My comment about you doing a lot of pub gigs wasn't a dig of any kind, Steve. It was merely an example I used when I AGREED with your comment about the way you work & the way I work being very different.

From your posts here I know you do a lot of discos in pubs, whether residencies or not, whereas I can only think of two I did last year, because as I said before they are not my market.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with doing a lot of discos in pubs (whether they're in the same pub or not), just that I choose not to. It's probably got something to do with the fact that I'm already working in pubs 4 or 5 nights a week doing quiz nights, so it's nice to have a change of scene for my discos at the weekends.

Corabar Steve
05-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I agree about it being very different, you do most of your work in pubs. However......
From your posts here I know you do a lot of discos in pubs,
I was obviously not clear enough for you, we do a lot of discos usually 52 / 53 a year in ONE pub as opposed to 80 - 90 odd weddings as well as birthdays, school proms & 20 -30 Christmas parties. Percentage wise that accounts for less than 25% of our work, so not a lot really & somewhat :offtopic: :ontopic:

rob1963
05-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Steve,

When I said you do a lot of discos in pubs, I meant you do a lot of pub discos.

Apologies for this small error, and apologies for being off topic.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with not evolving?

Perhaps it has something to do with having a pop at the youngsters at every opportunity?

Perhaps the younger guys think you haven't done particularly well even if you have been in business for a long time.

Being in business a long time (and part time) doesn't make you any good.

You are making a lot of assumptions about my business Darren.

1.It hasn't evolved.....moved from one generation to the next(wikpedia).There was a Facebook Campaign from 18-21 year old to get DJ Spinner (their Pseudonym for me) on more nights at my local pub.Evolved into Dance Floors,Uplighting and StarCloth hire.I've certainly got the cash to do it if I wish....but i'm not of that volition currently.Evolved into an agency....no thanks....on every occasion i've sent someone out on my behalf the customer has said...."Who was that :Censored: you sent round....he weren't a patch on you"

2.That I am part-time.I would suggest only my partner,accountant and I would be privy to that information.Your assumption that I have been in the business a long time is correct.

As for giving the youngsters a hard time....I thought we came onto the forum as equals.They are grown up enough to charge over £200 a night I would have thought sticking up for themselves on a Forum was well within thier remit.In fact they do it rather well.

Of course we do have another imponderable again....if the youngsters are still in this business in 35 years time....i'll be 86 and a bit past caring wether their sticking up for themselves like I have to on a daily basis.

Not trolling....but was that a swipe at the Part-Time DJ's in your last sentence.

Kernow
05-01-2010, 05:47 PM
In summary, this thread indicates clearly that we all work in our own particular ways and markets. If that diversity works well for us, as individuals, and for our clients, and promotes the image of the industry in a positive manner why all the 'infighting' ?.

Every poster offering advice, opinion, or ideas is quite entitled to do so, just as others are under no obligation to accept them. It seems though that those who have demonstrated the greatest improvements and sustainability in their businesses and styles, do at least take the time to consider and analyse what may or may not work for them.

It would seem that the mentality of 'my way or no way !!' is starting to obscure the otherwise very excellent and healthy discussions ?.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-01-2010, 05:52 PM
You are making a lot of assumptions about my business Darren.

Wrong. I only post based on what you have said.

I've certainly got the cash to do it if I wish....

Yawn....

2.That I am part-time.I would suggest only my partner,accountant and I would be privy to that information.

See attachment.

Your assumption that I have been in the business a long time is correct.

Not an assumption. See point one. I only post about things I have read and you've said it plenty of times.

As for giving the youngsters a hard time....I thought we came onto the forum as equals.They are grown up enough to charge over £200 a night I would have thought sticking up for themselves on a Forum was well within thier remit.In fact they do it rather well.

They do, but they need encouragement. They are the future of our business.

that a swipe at the Part-Time DJ's in your last sentence.

Incorrect. I am merely pointing out that anyone that is part time can stay in business a long time as they have other incomes to support them, so it makes the whole process of staying in business a lot easier.

If you have a full time income, you can pick and choose whether you need to DJ or not in a lot of cases.

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 05:52 PM
In summary, this thread indicates clearly that we all work in our own particular ways and markets. If that diversity works well for us, as individuals, and for our clients, and promotes the image of the industry in a positive manner why all the 'infighting' ?.

Every poster offering advice, opinion, or ideas is quite entitled to do so, just as others are under no obligation to accept them. It seems though that those who have demonstrated the greatest improvements and sustainability in their businesses and styles, do at least take the time to consider and analyse what may or may not work for them.

It would seem that the mentality of 'my way or no way !!' is starting to obscure the otherwise very excellent and healthy discussions ?.
Obscure it? I'd say it was by now well and truly hidden behind an impenetrable barrier. :(

Edit: Darren, I can foresee a semantic explanation coming from Martin, along the lines of "Bath for baby with tin bottom".;) It says he's a part time Karaoke host. He may say he's a full time DJ. It's not at all clear. :(

ppentertainments
05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I think the main problem is people continually repeating themselves AND having the above mentality :( :(

Kernow
05-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I think the main problem is people continually repeating themselves AND having the above mentality :( :(

Along the lines of " If I say it often enough....I'll believe it's true.....and convince others too !!" ???

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Along the lines of " If I say it often enough....I'll believe it's true.....and convince others too !!" ???

:fp:

Kernow
05-01-2010, 06:09 PM

The '?' indicates a question....not a statement of fact

;)

andyw
05-01-2010, 06:09 PM

i thought you were agreeing with rob earlier so perhaps it's working:shrug: :shrug: :eek:

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Obscure it? I'd say it was by now well and truly hidden behind an impenetrable barrier. :(

Edit: Darren, I can foresee a semantic explanation coming from Martin, along the lines of "Bath for baby with tin bottom".;) It says he's a part time Karaoke host. He may say he's a full time DJ. It's not at all clear. :(

If I had any idea what a semantic explanation was I'm sure I would be offering one now.

Not disagreeing with Darren.....It may be easier to stay in DJ ing longer if you have a full-time income....possible new thread!!

If you have a full-time income you can pick and chooose what you do....possible new thread

The thread that spawned a thousand threads....

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 06:18 PM
The '?' indicates a question....not a statement of fact

;)

And I was indicating that there are none so blind as those who will not see. ;) :(

Martin, semantics are a joyous and beloved favourite, often followed by a loud whooooooooooosh. :D :D

One of the explanations is the meanings of words and language. Often in a very pernickety way.

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't know who shim2a is.....but....

If we were to pay royalties per post applied to a thread he would be a rich man.Put the word wedding in a thread and it seems to whoosh semantically(good eh!!).

And as for the Word Association thread.....how much would that guy be worth!!

rob1963
05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
i thought you were agreeing with rob earlier so perhaps it's working :shrug: :shrug: :eek:

I'm getting a bit concerned at the number of people either agreeing with me or no longer having a pop at me lately.

Maybe some people have made a new years resolution to start being nice to me, although I have no idea why!

BeerFunk
05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
By not charging people who who hire you for doing a normal disco less than for a wedding disco which you do more work in for the same number of hours are you overcharging the normal disco client or undercharging the wedding client?That's an excellent point, and an alternative angle which doesn't seem to have been considered fully.

A few DJs have admitted in this thread that they do put in extra work for wedding discos as standard, for no extra charge. So would this be viewed as working for nothing (which doesn't help raise the professional image of the mobile disco industry, as has been discussed many times before), or is the client who booked the standard disco being over-charged?

In any case, it is not my place to make a judgement on that, as it is not my place to make a judgement on anyone charging extra for wedding discos. That was my first point in this thread.

Another interesting point - does it have to be something tangible, to justify an increased fee for a disco? More lights, carrying 50,000 songs, added on preparation and travelling time...

In my experience, there is added pressure DJ'ing at wedding, regardless of other factors. I do feel an increased fee, or indeed a reduced fee on other bookings, is fully justified. The magnitude of this fee difference is a bit more open to debate, of course.

There are many professions which carry a salary which is adjusted to take into account the pressure and responsibility resting on that employee, who must be mature and reliable enough to handle it. No-one ever questions this salary, and companies looking to contract work consider all other options before agreeing upon a contract, including financial terms.

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm getting a bit concerned at the number of people either agreeing with me or no longer having a pop at me lately.

Maybe some people have made a new years resolution to start being nice to me, although I have no idea why!

Resolutions?

Be nice to Rob. ( Should keep that till about, ooh 1am Jan 1st. )
Be nice to Penmare. ( Will have to keep that till Jan 15th ish. :( :( :( )
Obviously it's lasted way longer than expected. :confused:

That's an excellent point, and an alternative angle which doesn't seem to have been considered fully.

A few DJs have admitted in this thread that they do put in extra work for wedding discos as standard, for no extra charge. So would this be viewed as working for nothing (which doesn't help raise the professional image of the mobile disco industry, as has been discussed many times before), or is the client who booked the standard disco being over-charged?

And quite a few of us have stated that in many cases Weddings involve little if any extra work for some of us, and thus incur no fee increase.

CRAZY K
05-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Obviously it's lasted way longer than expected. :confused:

And quite a few of us have stated that in many cases Weddings involve little if any extra work for some of us, and thus incur no fee increase.

As I said before--Regional Differences
:sofa:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
As I said before--Regional Differences
:sofa:

CRAZY K

Last time I looked, Surrey and Yorkshire were a fair distance apart.

andyw
05-01-2010, 09:06 PM

new years resolutions normally get broke within the first week:eek:
we'll soon beback to normal:whistle: whatever that is:shrug:

StarZSoundS
05-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Every poster offering advice, opinion, or ideas is quite entitled to do so, just as others are under no obligation to accept them.

I like that.....If one sentence sums it up??!!!????

:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: ;) ;) ;) :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Danieleastwood.com
05-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Really?

After reading a number of threads. This hits the nail on the head and comes back round to my, amongst others, thoughts that, your just a DJ providing a disco and not the planner, and this is why I struggle to see how a wedding should be harder work than a normal night.

ppentertainments
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
After reading a number of threads. This hits the nail on the head and comes back round to my, amongst others, thoughts that, your just a DJ providing a disco and not the planner, and this is why I struggle to see how a wedding should be harder work than a normal night.
Sorry, but I am a service provider. ;)

wensleydale
05-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Like everything, there's no right or wrong to this.
You can turn up and play records or you can look to make the service you offer better and this can take the form of many different things.
As someone said, some are keen to do this, others aren't, but I dont see how those who don't want to can argue that those who do should not be able to charge more for them.

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Like everything, there's no right or wrong to this.
You can turn up and play records or you can look to make the service you offer better and this can take the form of many different things.
As someone said, some are keen to do this, others aren't, but I dont see how those who don't want to can argue that those who do should not be able to charge more for them.

No right minded person can argue with charging more for extra services. They can argue with charging more for the bookings carrying the W word that require no more work than a disco in the Dog and Duck.

CRAZY K
05-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Not hard work as in getting people dancing---thats the easy bit---its all in the preparation and back office work that some offer and charge for their time---to coin a phrase on here---simples:D

Some DJs seem to put a lot more into Wedding preparation--and charge accordingly---whether you feel thats necessary is a matter of opinion and I think the major difference in views on here.

Still it gives the client a really good choice price wise so that cant be bad,

CRAZY K

rob1963
05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Some DJs seem to put a lot more into Wedding preparation--and charge accordingly---whether you feel thats necessary is a matter of opinion and I think the major difference in views on here.

My advance preparation time for a disco is about two hours, which is the same for weddings & non-weddings.

This consists of about 20 minutes answering their enquiry, taking the booking & doing the paperwork, about 40 minutes checking through their request list, downloading any songs I don't have and making up their requests into a playlist and about an hour synching my 3 ipods to the music on my computer & running the librarian software on each of them (although while the librarian software runs I can be doing something else).

Corabar Steve
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks to Rob for getting the thread back on topic.

The last couple of pages seem to have had more off than on topic posts

:ontopic:

CRAZY K
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
My advance preparation time for a disco is about two hours, which is the same for weddings & non-weddings.

This consists of about 20 minutes answering their enquiry, taking the booking & doing the paperwork, about 40 minutes checking through their request list, downloading any songs I don't have and making up their requests into a playlist and about an hour synching my 3 ipods to the music on my computer & running the librarian software on each of them (although while the librarian software runs I can be doing something else).

The difference is some people go out for a client meeting or even two I have read and therefore some spend more time than you do or I do Rob--thats why they charge more than we do---whether that is considered excessive or overkill is up to the client to decide---they pay:)

No criticism---just observation of a fact.

If the clients are happy to pay no problem--as long as the DJ can justify it which is where the thread started--I think.

CRAZY K

rob1963
06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
The difference is some people go out for a client meeting or even two I have read and therefore some spend more time than you do or I do Rob--thats why they charge more than we do---whether that is considered excessive or overkill is up to the client to decide---they pay:)

No criticism---just observation of a fact.

That's fair enough.

Even I sometimes have to go to client meetings, although only two or three a year...which is why I don't charge more for them.