PDA

View Full Version : A guide to Digital DJ'ing.

Excalibur
27-12-2009, 09:43 PM
If somebody wishes to sticky this, thanks. I hope this works, cos I've never linked to a document before.

According to preview, there's a fighting chance of it working.

cosmo1200
27-12-2009, 10:21 PM
interesting, cheers

rob1963
27-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Quote from the document:

2) Numark D2/DDS
Not used it personally, but it gets really good reviews. Split screen, but more info than Cortex, and it’s the only one with the Crate facility. DDS80 has built in HD and CD drawers.

Just to make a small correction, the D2/DDS do NOT have a split screen. It's only split at the very top where the players are. Other than that, it's a full width screen.

Excalibur
27-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Quote from the document:

2) Numark D2/DDS
Not used it personally, but it gets really good reviews. Split screen, but more info than Cortex, and it’s the only one with the Crate facility. DDS80 has built in HD and CD drawers.

Just to make a small correction, the D2/DDS do NOT have a split screen. It's only split at the very top where the players are. Other than that, it's a full width screen.

So it's therefore a split screen. :p :D :D
My main aim was to show it's one screen, rather than two on the Cortex. ;)

rob1963
27-12-2009, 11:26 PM
So it's therefore a split screen.

No...only about 10% of the screen is split!

It's a bit like saying a glass is full of water when it's only 10% full!

Sorry if you thought I was being pedantic, but I just through your "split screen" description of the D2/DDS was misleading.

:run:

Excalibur
27-12-2009, 11:40 PM
No...only about 10% of the screen is split!

It's a bit like saying a glass is full of water when it's only 10% full!

Sorry if you thought I was being pedantic, but I just through your "split screen" description of the D2/DDS was misleading.

:run:

Question. Does the Numark have two screens? :confused: Answer-No.
Does it have two decks? :confused: Yes.
I rest my case. It's split.

MagicMusic
28-12-2009, 08:46 AM
This is a very good and helpful idea. Perhaps others could contribute to the article, expanding it to include laptop dj'ing with software and DVS or midi controllers?

I'd he happy to take part?

NKR
28-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Thats very helpful thanks and has answered many of my questions.

Creature
28-12-2009, 09:56 AM
cheers some good points there - heres something i found on the cortex taht you can add if you wish

if you use a harddrive DONT use the file brower as it causes the playing side to freeze.

this issue DOES NOT occur if your using a memory stick.

apart from that no probs - whats the button issue ? i ahve 2 cortexs and not noticed an issue ?

Excalibur
28-12-2009, 03:56 PM
This is a very good and helpful idea. Perhaps others could contribute to the article, expanding it to include laptop dj'ing with software and DVS or midi controllers?

I'd he happy to take part?
Laptop DJ's! :eek: :Censored: off and start your own thread, you're not :Censored:ing well coming in here, you lazy good for nothing gits. :p :D :D

cheers some good points there - heres something i found on the cortex taht you can add if you wish

if you use a harddrive DONT use the file brower as it causes the playing side to freeze.

this issue DOES NOT occur if your using a memory stick.

apart from that no probs - whats the button issue ? i ahve 2 cortexs and not noticed an issue ?

The file browser issue is not unknown. I tried using the fastest HD's I could get, with a big cache, and even this does not cure it. They don't freeze, but they do hiccup. I can't get better than that, I'm afraid. :( :(
Buttons: The play/pause ones can get a bit sticky, and need a good thwack to operate. :eek: Usually an intermittent problem rather than total failure.
I wonder if they've dropped the quality on newer ones, since I'm having more trouble with my newer one than the older one. Funnily enough, always the left hand deck. :confused:

Creature
28-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I wonder if they've dropped the quality on newer ones, since I'm having more trouble with my newer one than the older one. Funnily enough, always the left hand deck.

my newe ones about 2 months old and is working great - in fact has faster search than my old one and starts n shuts down quicker as well - but as my old one works well not gonna risk updating the firmware.

pm details whats wrong with left deck - so we dont hijack this thread

ppentertainments
28-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Have heard this complaint a lot but have never had a problem with it personally, unless I use a USB powered HD. I can't remember the exact amounts but Cortex do reccomend you do not have too many files in one folder, as this can cause freezing.

Creature
28-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Cortex do reccomend you do not have too many files in one folder, as this can cause freezing

its 10,000 files - as i only have 127 tracks on me hardrive at moment no were near it

DJ Jules
28-12-2009, 07:36 PM
its 10,000 files - as i only have 127 tracks on me hardrive at moment no were near it

It's to do with the depth of the folders. If you store your files in a folder, in a folder within a folder, then it'll crash when you navigate using the file browser. If you stick to only creating folders in the root of the hard drive, you'll be fine. Cortex have a full document with advice on creating and managing media libraries on hard disks (see below).

I've had all of the above issues and more - I've still yet to get round to replacing my buttons, but only because I'm still waiting on enough to come through from Cortex to be able to replace all of the faulty ones at once (I've now got about 15 buttons with intermittent issues and I'm pretty much using a USB keyboard full time - but notice that the reaction times through the keyboard are slower than the buttons on the unit - not good for beat matching, etc...) The actual buttons in the unit are pretty cheap and nasty - when I did some digging for a supplier for replacement buttons I found a 9p/each version and a 35p/each version of the same button - guess which ones matched the ones supplied by Cortex as replacements... ;)

Julian

CRAZY K
28-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I've now got about 15 buttons with intermittent issues and I'm pretty much using a USB keyboard full time -

I only use one--- the start button.:D

One of my units has a sticky one that needs a firm push.

Keyboard the rest.

How do you use 15?:confused:

CRAZY K

Creature
28-12-2009, 09:35 PM
It's to do with the depth of the folders. If you store your files in a folder, in a folder within a folder

mines just single dir depth wise - listed in artists

as i said above it dont happen with the 32 gig mem stick which i now use all the time

DJ Jules
29-12-2009, 06:36 AM
How do you use 15?:confused:

Arrow up/down/left/right on both sides (up/down for track selection, left/right for cue points) = 8

Enter button on both sides = 2

Play/Cue buttons on both sides = 4

Edit button on both sides (mainly because of the double key press needed to get the playlist up) = 2

And that's 16 already... (sorry my mistake, 16, not 15).

Julian

MagicMusic
29-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Laptop DJ's! :eek: :Censored: off and start your own thread, you're not :Censored:ing well coming in here, you lazy good for nothing gits

:boxer2::boxer2::boxer2:

:p :D

DJ Jules
01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
If somebody wishes to sticky this, thanks. I hope this works, cos I've never linked to a document before.

I've finally got round to actually reading the document and I've got a question and one thing to add:

Addition: Cortex also do a bigger unit (HDTT5000) which is basically a HDC3000 in a CDJ like box. You can buy two and link them to use the same Hard disk and keyboard. I've never used one, but I hear they're pretty good. They unfortunately suffer from the same problem as the HDC series, in that if you link them, if one side dies for any reason, it'll bring down the other too.

Question: Why use a powered hub and a powered disk? If your disk is powered then it won't draw any power from the controller, so adding the hub is really just adding something else to go wrong (and is only needed if you really need more ports than the controller can provide). I guess a powered hub makes sense if you use lots of memory sticks, but in theory their power requirements are very low (especially compared to a hard disk which has moving parts) so the controller shouldn't have any problems supplying them.

Julian

Excalibur
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I've finally got round to actually reading the document and I've got a question and one thing to add:

Addition: Cortex also do a bigger unit (HDTT5000) which is basically a HDC3000 in a CDJ like box. You can buy two and link them to use the same Hard disk and keyboard. I've never used one, but I hear they're pretty good. They unfortunately suffer from the same problem as the HDC series, in that if you link them, if one side dies for any reason, it'll bring down the other too.

Question: Why use a powered hub and a powered disk? If your disk is powered then it won't draw any power from the controller, so adding the hub is really just adding something else to go wrong (and is only needed if you really need more ports than the controller can provide). I guess a powered hub makes sense if you use lots of memory sticks, but in theory their power requirements are very low (especially compared to a hard disk which has moving parts) so the controller shouldn't have any problems supplying them.

Julian

Have you learnt nothing from the teachings of the Great Sage Vectis? :confused: :eek:
Backup, backup, and again backup. ;)
Right, the serious bits.
First, the 1000 only has two USB ports. One keyboard, one HD and it's full. :bang: No room to plug in the flash drive which you've just downloaded tha latest bangin choooon onto. That's why you use a hub. Keyboard and HD safe at the back, front slot free for flash drives. Simples.
Second, it's safety. Don't risk something asking for more power than the cortex can supply. Belt and braces. ;)
Third, and this is the iffy bit. If you've got a powered hub, some ( and only some mind you) bus powered portable Hard drives may ( repeat may) work with the cortex rigged up thus. Therefore in the event of a catastrophe, the lappy exrternal HD could be plugged into a Cortex as an emergency measure. ( once I've rung P****b up and increased my allowance)
As for going wrong, Belkin are the ones to go for. Reliable so far.
Hope this helps.

Penfold42
01-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Laptop DJ's! :eek: :Censored: off and start your own thread, you're not :Censored:ing well coming in here, you lazy good for nothing gits. :p :D :D

LMFAO!! :lol:

DJ Jules
01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Backup, backup, and again backup.

Tell me about it :)

First, the 1000 only has two USB ports

Right, didn't realise that - I've got the 3000 which has four ports on the back and one on the front. The two on the back are permanently connected to cables for USB hard disk (USB to mini USB), USB CD rom (USB-A to USB-B) and a USB keyboard, leaving the one on the front free for flash drives.

Second, it's safety. Don't risk something asking for more power than the cortex can supply.

Basically using the USB hub as a protection point then...? So if something decides to draw a ton of power the USB hub gets it instead of the Cortex. The theory goes that USB ports are supposed to monitor the power draw on them and shut off the power if the load requested exceeds the available supply, but we're assuming that Cortex followed the USB spec when they built it (and hard disk manufacturers also follow the specs).

Third, and this is the iffy bit. If you've got a powered hub, some (and only some mind you) bus powered portable Hard drives may (repeat may) work with the cortex rigged up thus.

I'd think that most bus powered devices should work from a decent spec USB hub (check the max load per port).

As for going wrong, Belkin are the ones to go for. Reliable so far.

I'm not disagreeing with this point. I've been a Belkin fanatic for a few years now :)

Right, confession time - I have a major vested interest in this topic because for about 18 months I've been using a HDC3000 with a bus powered 2.5" 120Gb USB, bus powered hard disk, and no USB hub. And I do occasionally get random crashes which I've struggled to find the source of. The other problem I get (USB associated probably) is that if I type quickly on the USB keyboard, I get sequences of letters repeating (in a way which means there is no way it's me typo'ing - like keying "help" and seeing "helplp" come up on the screen). I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced a problem like this or if this is a problem specific to my unit? I've tried a variety of USB keyboards and had the same results.

The other thing I've found is that I can almost guarantee a crash on the unit if I hit CTRL+I to get track info on a deck while a tracking is loading to the deck. I'm not overly patient at the best of times, but I've had to start holding myself back and stopping myself from pressing keys while the unit is working (CTRL+C while a track is loading is another way to confuse it, as is trying to save a playlist with a duplicate name and pressing CTRL+P for the play screen while the warning is showing, also try switching to the Edit or Search screen while an Info screen is being displayed from the playlist editor - i.e. bring up a playlist, press CTRL+I on a track, then immediately press CTRL+E or type in a search while the info screen is loading). Patience!!! :bang: :bang:

Julian

CRAZY K
01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Right, confession time - I have a major vested interest in this topic because for about 18 months I've been using a HDC3000 with a bus powered 2.5" 120Gb USB, bus powered hard disk, and no USB hub. And I do occasionally get random crashes which I've struggled to find the source of. The other problem I get (USB associated probably) is that if I type quickly on the USB keyboard, I get sequences of letters repeating (in a way which means there is no way it's me typo'ing - like keying "help" and seeing "helplp" come up on the screen). I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced a problem like this or if this is a problem specific to my unit? I've tried a variety of USB keyboards and had the same results.

The other thing I've found is that I can almost guarantee a crash on the unit if I hit CTRL+I to get track info on a deck while a tracking is loading to the deck. I'm not overly patient at the best of times, but I've had to start holding myself back and stopping myself from pressing keys while the unit is working (CTRL+C while a track is loading is another way to confuse it, as is trying to save a playlist with a duplicate name and pressing CTRL+P for the play screen while the warning is showing, also try switching to the Edit or Search screen while an Info screen is being displayed from the playlist editor - i.e. bring up a playlist, press CTRL+I on a track, then immediately press CTRL+E or type in a search while the info screen is loading). Patience!!! :bang: :bang:

Julian

Bit of a problem there Julian and im not able to help a lot possibly but I run the HDC 1000 without any issues ( 3 years now ) although I dont do play lists on the machine, I just manually select playlists.

If it helps at all ---

I use powered Hard Drives, Seagate, dont hit information button until the track is sitting in the screen and use the Keyboard to the maximum other than starting tracks--because I often chat between tracks---if it helps give it a try.

I never use memory sticks---only for checking a single file for a suspected corruption. (very rare)

My only freeze in 3 years was a corrupted file---easily sorted.

The typo problem sounds like a soft ware problem --or maybe slow down a bit.

As with many things (like cars) more options means more things to go wrong :eek:

Noted your comments on numbers of buttons==aaaargh!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY K

DJ Jules
02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Bit of a problem there Julian and im not able to help a lot possibly but I run the HDC 1000 without any issues ( 3 years now ) although I dont do play lists on the machine, I just manually select playlists.

According to Cortex the software "engine" on the HDC3000 is completely different to the 500 and the 1000, and has more in common with the HDTT5000, so unfortunately my problems might be specific to the type of unit I'm using. I.e. the 3000 might be a lot more buggy than the 1000 because of the addition of the extra features (waveform display, loops, hot cues, etc etc).

I use powered Hard Drives, Seagate, dont hit information button until the track is sitting in the screen and use the Keyboard to the maximum other than starting tracks

I think I might buy a powered hub to see if that helps take a bit of load off the unit and improves the keyboard response.

I never use memory sticks---only for checking a single file for a suspected corruption. (very rare)

I don't normally use memory sticks (or multiple USB sources) - I've always been very nervous about changing USB source on one deck while playing out on the second, if only because in some instances it's taken almost a minute to eject the HDD and load the memory stick (or vice versa) which doesn't give me a lot of time to find and load what I'm playing next!

My only freeze in 3 years was a corrupted file---easily sorted.

I've had a couple of corrupted files (always customer supplied) which have crashed the unit, but the majority of my crashes (and I've had too many to count in only 18 months) have been almost random. I've generally always been going between search/playlist/play screens on one deck while the other is playing, but in some cases it's stopped while I haven't even been touching it. The weirdest problem I've had yet was back in Nov when it seemed to be having a bad day and as well as randomly crashing twice, the audio on one track just stopped (track was still playing, unit was still responding, the sound just stopped coming out!) This is all on tracks which I've played before (and in some cases, replayed on the night) without issue, so I'm pretty sure it's not a corrupted file problem.

The typo problem sounds like a soft ware problem --or maybe slow down a bit.

Maybe I just need to slow down - my day job is IT so I type pretty quick (I ran out of words to type in the last agency typing test I did - putting me somewhere over 100wpm :eek: ).

Noted your comments on numbers of buttons==aaaargh!!!!!!!!!

I'm a fairly "heavy" user, though not notably heavy handed. :o

Anyway, the short answer to my problems seems to be to change, so I'm looking to invest again... A friend of mine has a Denon HC4500 and a HD2500 so I'm going to have a play with those tomorrow and when the shops in Bristol re-open on Tues I think I'll take my keyboard, hard disk and cables down to one and see if I can persuade them to let me have a go on a HDC1000 with my set up to see if I can reproduce the problems because my cheapest and easiest option would be to "downgrade" to a HDC1000.

Julian