PDA

View Full Version : DENON DNHD 2500 error - Help needed!

yourdj
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi,

I turned up to my gig last night and my Denon was saying

"No HDD (check hard drive)"

Or something like that.

Well basically it was not working. I was going to use itunes all night (being stupid and not realizing i could use serato just on the Mac) but it started working after about an hour.

Any ideas? :confused:

Spirits High
01-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Not had that problem with mine before.

Was it particularly cold where it was stored before or on your way to the gig?

Just thinking that maybe going from cold van to warm venue may have caused a bit of condensation internally and after an hour it had dried out.

Paul S
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I've read over on the denon forums that this is not uncommon. Some people talk about removing the hdd and reseating it.

OllieJames
01-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Should of bought a HC4500! :p

No, seriously I've also heard of this happening - I hope you get it fixed.

NKR
01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Not had that problem with mine before.

Was it particularly cold where it was stored before or on your way to the gig?

Just thinking that maybe going from cold van to warm venue may have caused a bit of condensation internally and after an hour it had dried out.

That is very common with CD players, so may also be with HD units. My CD players have always taken time to come round after coming out of the cold into a warm environment. Same thing happens if you leave your phone in the car overnight. It operates really slowly until it warms up.

I hope its not a common problem - I have just bought one of them :eek:

Penfold42
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Touch wood - never had this problem. :)

How did it come back on line?
What did you do?

yourdj
01-01-2010, 12:44 PM
cold van to warm venue may have caused a bit of condensation internally and after an hour it had dried out.

May have been it but i have been using it for ages in all temps?

I've read over on the denon forums that this is not uncommon. Some people talk about removing the hdd and reseating it.

Will try that :) I think it may be a loose connection or something?

What did you do?

If in doubt give it a clout (several times) not sure when it came back on but it started working so thats the main thing :)

Honestly for all the gigs in the year for this to happen it comes on a new year wedding! :bang:

I also had problems with the projector but we got there in the end on all fronts.

Dont panic :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/dadsarmy/img/gallery/01/BAP_BBC_5202.jpg

Penfold42
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
If in doubt give it a clout (several times) not sure when it came back on but it started working so thats the main thing :)

Then I would think about getting a new as that will not help it one bit. :)
Back up?

Daz is gonna really love that picture....:D :D

deltic
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
always used to carry a hairdryer for the cd players used to warm them up quickly,very rare was it that both sides didn't play due to cold usually just one.
cover the mixer/head unit with a towel of bit of foam before putting lid on that will help to insulate them.

yourdj
01-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Then I would think about getting a new as that will not help it one bit. :)
Back up?

It should be OK. Its the same as a computer. i have used it since they came out and not had any issues :)

If your asking what back up i have i have a mac and an ipod. :)

Might get an sd player too though as they cost pittance.

Penfold42
01-01-2010, 12:52 PM
If your asking what back up i have i have a mac and an ipod. :)

Sorry missed the mac bit on the 1st post. :doh:

Spirits High
01-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry missed the mac bit on the 1st post. :doh:

Do you not read "whole" threads :eek: :eek:

Just wait 'til I tell Darren :p :D :D

yourdj
01-01-2010, 05:29 PM
always used to carry a hairdryer for the cd players used to warm them up quickly,very rare was it that both sides didn't play due to cold usually just one.
cover the mixer/head unit with a towel of bit of foam before putting lid on that will help to insulate them.

Thanks i might actually do that as i have a couple of bits of blackout i use. :)

Djmurt911
01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey guys i was thinking about buyin the Numark DDS80.

Can anyone tell me abit about them. and how well would they be : Eg Would they fail in mid gig?? because its like a Pc is it?? ive never put my hands on one yet so i dont no what to say about them so need a little help.

At the mo i have pair of pioneer cdj 400 and there very good. but i need a change.

discomobiledj
01-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey guys i was thinking about buyin the Numark DDS80.

Can anyone tell me abit about them. and how well would they be : Eg Would they fail in mid gig?? because its like a Pc is it?? ive never put my hands on one yet so i dont no what to say about them so need a little help.

At the mo i have pair of pioneer cdj 400 and there very good. but i need a change.

You would be better starting a new thread rather than piggy backing onto another one.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2010, 09:52 PM
You would be better starting a new thread rather than piggy backing onto another one.

While this is true, I have asked you before to leave the running of the forum to the admin and mods on here. Thanks. :)

Excalibur
01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
This is true. Oxidised or loose connections I reckon.

That is very common with CD players, so may also be with HD units. My CD players have always taken time to come round after coming out of the cold into a warm environment. Same thing happens if you leave your phone in the car overnight. It operates really slowly until it warms up.

I hope its not a common problem - I have just bought one of them :eek:
Told you to get a Cortex. They're frostproof to -15. :p :D :D :D

( Actually they can be really really slow off the mark when they're cold,they just don't boot up fully. )

What did you do?
Hit it. ;)

Been there....................:D :D :D :D :D

discomobiledj
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
While this is true, I have asked you before to leave the running of the forum to the admin and mods on here. Thanks. :)

Whatever :shrug: If anyone else had said it nothing would have been said.

rob1963
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
If anyone else had said it nothing would have been said.

Anyone else apart from ME!

;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Whatever :shrug: If anyone else had said it nothing would have been said.

Yes, because you persist in making comments when they aren't needed.

Anyone else apart from ME!

;)

I will ignore that Rob, but any more comments like that will be deleted immediately. ;)

yourdj
02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, because you persist in making comments when they aren't needed.

Its like going to a nightclub and throwing people out because you think they are a nuisance even though there are doormen watching and making a decision ;)

DJ Jules
02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
( Actually they can be really really slow off the mark when they're cold,they just don't boot up fully. )

That's a known problem on a lot of units (and nothing to do with the cold) - in fact a lot will just show a blue screen and won't get any further without some button pressing.

The official Cortex advice is to either hold down the power button for three seconds when powering up, or press the power button 15 times if you forget and release the button. Apparently this performs a "soft reset" on boot which is needed because they don't shut down cleanly!! Even the manual now states that you should hold the button down for 3 seconds on power up!

If I do go from Cortex to "something else" I'm going to have to learn a whole new set of known problems and dodgy workarounds because it seems like none of the HDC units on the market are perfect (though admittedly no-one has started a thread on an MEP7000 yet...)

Julian

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
That's a known problem on a lot of units (and nothing to do with the cold) - in fact a lot will just show a blue screen and won't get any further without some button pressing.

The official Cortex advice is to either hold down the power button for three seconds when powering up, or press the power button 15 times if you forget and release the button. Apparently this performs a "soft reset" on boot which is needed because they don't shut down cleanly!! Even the manual now states that you should hold the button down for 3 seconds on power up!

If I do go from Cortex to "something else" I'm going to have to learn a whole new set of known problems and dodgy workarounds because it seems like none of the HDC units on the market are perfect (though admittedly no-one has started a thread on an MEP7000 yet...)

Julian

Apart from why oh why does the blasted thing cost £1200. :( :( :(

For the life of me, I can't understand why some enterprising manufacturer hasn't made an HDC unit which ticks all the boxes? It can't be that difficult, can it? :confused: :confused: Anybody still got Nigel's phone number? I bet he could knock us a prototype up in a hurry. ;)

OllieJames
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Apart from why oh why does the blasted thing cost £1200. :( :( :(

For the life of me, I can't understand why some enterprising manufacturer hasn't made an HDC unit which ticks all the boxes? It can't be that difficult, can it? :confused: :confused: Anybody still got Nigel's phone number? I bet he could knock us a prototype up in a hurry. ;)

There may even be a limited edition carpet covered version with wheels on the bottom ;)

Excalibur
02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
There may even be a limited edition carpet covered version with wheels on the bottom ;)

Limited edition? :confused: I thought that was the standard model? :D :D

OllieJames
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Limited edition? :confused: I thought that was the standard model? :D :D

Ah, of course! How could I be so foolish! :D

yourdj
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
tested it today and it works great! thanks for the replies.

Is it possible to control serato with a hd player and time codes?
Would be a great back up.

Djmurt911
03-01-2010, 07:59 PM
*content removed*

Text talk is not permitted. Further details may be found via the link below.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7535s

yourdj
27-01-2010, 03:08 PM
right!! :bang:

I have used the unit in several gigs. Each of the times it has said no HDD (check hard drive).
After a bit it started working which i assumed is a temperature issue.

I have since kept it indoors and it is at ambient temperature.
I have switched it on today and it is not working.

The unit is in excellent condition and the connection from HD to unit is fine?

Can i do a soft reset? I am thinking it may be the Hard drive though. Im going to try but will have to use just my laptop at the weekend which is a pain. :mad:

I do not use the hard drive so is there a way of using the memory stick without the harddrive as i only use it with a time code to control serato. thanks :)

Excalibur
27-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Julian
Oh no mate, I know how to start the damn thing. ;) ;) I'm talking about scraping the ice off the screens cold. ;) ;) -11 and they're really really slow off the mark, often needing a couple of tries to roar into life. :D :D

right!! :bang:

I have used the unit in several gigs. Each of the times it has said no HDD (check hard drive).
After a bit it started working which i assumed is a temperature issue.

I have since kept it indoors and it is at ambient temperature.
I have switched it on today and it is not working.

The unit is in excellent condition and the connection from HD to unit is fine?

Can i do a soft reset? I am thinking it may be the Hard drive though. Im going to try but will have to use just my laptop at the weekend which is a pain. :mad:

I do not use the hard drive so is there a way of using the memory stick without the harddrive as i only use it with a time code to control serato. thanks :)

I believe it to be a connection issue( though as you all know, I've not had experience of the Denon 2500, other than shouting at it a lot)

I wonder if you should follow Arkwright's advice to cure it? :confused:

" Jer jer jerjer jiggle it Granville" :D :D

yourdj
27-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I have found this advice

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/index.php?f=28&t=11787&rb_v=viewtopic

Basically the bloke says to hook it up to music manager and do some stuff which i have not been able to do.

but as you can see in the reply i cant find out how to "put the HD as an external drive" as when it boots up you can select pc but it then searches for hard drive and then does not work?

I am thinking of buying a sd card player and running a time code on that as it should work (see seperate post).

yourdj
30-01-2010, 11:10 AM
right not that anyone could really care :p but i have found a temporary fix to this problem.

I got my player when the first came out and it seems a bit funny that the warranty has just run out :confused:

Im assuming this problem may happen to others in the future?
If you get the message

"NO HDD (CHECK HDD)"

Basically your device is non responsive and useless as a result!

solution:

- Take out the hardrive and use it without it as it will then read pen drives and external hardrives.
not sure if it will work in pc mode but i assume it will.

Seems simple but it took me 48 hours to work that out :bang:

I think the key is to upgrade the firmware before it happens. :)

Im upgrading the firmware and selling it if anyone is interested as i am not using it to its full potential anyway.