PDA

View Full Version : Best way to convert WMA to MP3?

NKR
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi all

In my stupidity I downloaded most my tracks from Tesco digital in WMA format. Why? Because I was burning them to CD at the time so I never really thought about the implications of doing so.

However, I no have a Denon HD2500 sat here and need to sort my tracks out.

Anyone had the issue of needing to convert WMA to MP3 and what did you use to do it.

Thanks

Penfold42
02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi all

In my stupidity I downloaded most my tracks from Tesco digital in WMA format. Why? Because I was burning them to CD at the time so I never really thought about the implications of doing so.

Anyone had the issue of needing to convert WMA to MP3 and what did you use to do it.

Thanks

If I read this right -
WMA file, rip to CD using windows but check what format you want to rip and save to your album. (Tool bar - MP3 at 320kps)
Edit what you want to call the album and artists.
Then put file on to HDD and update to Denon.

Word of warning ....this is file changing.

Totally Plucked
02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Don't go paying silly money for conversion software, there's loads of FREE conversion software on the web.

Google is your friend

NKR
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Don't go paying silly money for conversion software, there's loads of FREE conversion software on the web.

Google is your friend

Yep I found some. Does it affect quality of file converting it?

Any recommendations of the best?

Penfold42
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM

Yeah like......Windows! :sj:

ppentertainments
02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
MediaMonkey is my program of choice - dead simple to use and free.

Totally Plucked
02-01-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.wma-mp3.org/

This works fine, Ideally you wouldn't want to be shifting files from one format to another (Produb issue lol), when you convert any file to another format you will experirience some form of quality loss. But I wouldn't too much about it on one batch conversion. On a positive side WMA is supposedly better quality than MP3 (Cue.... the great debate ! lol) so therefore this will compensate for your minimal conversion quality loss.

Hope this helps

NKR
02-01-2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.wma-mp3.org/

This works fine, Ideally you wouldn't want to be shifting files from one format to another (Produb issue lol), when you convert any file to another format you will experirience some form of quality loss. But I wouldn't too much about it on one batch conversion. On a positive side WMA is supposedly better quality than MP3 (Cue.... the great debate ! lol) so therefore this will compensate for your minimal conversion quality loss.

Hope this helps

Yes that helps a lot cheers.

In fact I remember someone telling WMA was better quality than MP3, which is probably why I have so many downloaded WMA files.

Totally Plucked
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't forget to select the highest converion rate.
You can not turn a 128k bit file into a 320k bit file, but you don't want to be ripping your 320k files to 128k or similar

Just checck your settings for your output files before ripping.

cosmo1200
03-01-2010, 01:21 PM
just used a free mp3/ wma convertor, downloaded off download.com, left a load of files before I went to bed last night, now running on my usb h/d on the dns 1200 via the music manager program, works really well,

NKR
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
As they were protected WMA files I used Excaliburs advice and all 142 are now on the external HDD after all day of a job, but there. Cheers chaps.

Totally Plucked
03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Glad you got a result, what was Excalibur's advice ?

DazzyD
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
As they were protected WMA files I used Excaliburs advice and all 142 are now on the external HDD after all day of a job, but there. Cheers chaps.

Burning to disc and then ripping back to MP3 is one way of doing things. Mind you, I don't think Peter (Excalibur) and Tony (Penmare42) are the same person. I'm sure I once saw a picture on here of them on together

DazzyD
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Found that picture! Took a while so I couldn't edit my post to include it (sorry mods!).

Here it is - post 32!

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13535&page=4

So when you're thanking Excalibur, you really should be thanking Penmare!

BTW, my choice of conversion would be either Audacity or CoolEdit Pro. Both are good options providing you have the correct MP3 codecs installed and they will save you having to use discs.

NKR
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Found that picture! Took a while so I couldn't edit my post to include it (sorry mods!).

Here it is - post 32!

BTW, my choice of conversion would be either Audacity or CoolEdit Pro. Both are good options providing you have the correct MP3 codecs installed and they will save you having to use discs.

Nope Excalibur PM'd me and sorted it out for me. Not all you see is all there is.

DazzyD
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
My apologies!

And sorry Peter! That image you project of being an old technophobe is just a front then!

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Top secret. ;) ;)

Here it is - post 32!

Panto mode: Oh no he shouldn't. :D :D

Nope Excalibur PM'd me and sorted it out for me. Not all you see is all there is.

There are more things in Heaven and Earth Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

My apologies!

And sorry Peter! That image you project of being an old technophobe is just a front then!
I'd love to imply that I'm a computer whizzkid, but sadly I am that Technophobe.:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ( Who can use Google to find programs that do what I need to do. )

DazzyD
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM

I'd love to imply that I'm a computer whizzkid, but sadly I am that Technophobe.:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ( Who can use Google to find programs that do what I need to do. )

:eek:

The illusion is shattered!!!

Excalibur
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM
:eek:

The illusion is shattered!!!

Penmare's laptop also will be soon, if he can't get the Rioja out of his keyboard. ;) :( :( :(

Penfold42
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Penmare's laptop also will be soon, if he can't get the Rioja out of his keyboard. ;) :( :( :(

:lol: Funny. :D

windbell
05-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi all

Thanks

I only use this WMA to MP3 Converter (http://www.wmatomp3-converter.com/wma-mp3-converter.html#123), it can batch convert wma to mp3 and have had no issues:)

Excalibur
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I only use this WMA to MP3 Converter (http://www.wmatomp3-converter.com/wma-mp3-converter.html#123), it can batch convert wma to mp3 and have had no issues:)

Since nobody has mentioned it yet:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself in the newbies section. This is a courtesy which repays the effort involved, since it gives folk an idea where you're coming from Thank you.

PS. Technically, it's illegal to remove DRM tags, so posting it publicly may not be a fine idea.

Jiggles
05-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Who can use Google to find programs that do what I need to do.

Damn silver surfers. :D xD