PDA

View Full Version : To sub or Not to sub...

pagan_flame
16-06-2006, 02:04 AM
...no, nothing to do with whether Rooney should start on the pitch or the bench... :omg:

So - after sifting through my Ebay job lot, selling most of the redundant stuff and doubling my money in the process - I am left with a third amp (HH Electronic) as aforementioned. Email to service agents reveals it to chuck out 340w RMS / channel into 4 Ohms, works just fine so far.

So - if I got me a set of 4 ohm speakers, that would take my peak power up to 4.3kW with a 6-speaker system.

Question is, then, what to buy? Not looking to spend a packet as won't be using them all the time

Currently: 2 x Peavey Clubsys 15"s running off 2.2kW C-Audio amp...monster bass and 2kW handling per cab --- 2 x Idex (budget Ohm range) 12" 8Ohm tops running off an old anonymous 800w Mosfet (200w RMS / channel)

Options:

1. Add a set of Peavey 4 Ohm 15" bass bins (XT's?) running solely off the HH... £2-300 secondhand to make it 4.3kW)

2. A set of Class D compact subs (15" with internal crossover) running in line from the HH... do I really need subs with the Clubsys running at 2.2kW? (£215 new, taking it to 3.9kW)

3. A set of Class D 15" full range with Piezo's (£100 new) running in line with the Idex 12"s to give 4 Ohms, around 3.5kW, Clubsys on the floor with Class D's on top and Idex on top of them... or is that heading back where I came from into red Soundlab territory?

Any other options in the approx £200 price range (secondhand OK)?

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Probably a silly question, but why do you need a show this big? You've just said you've sold a load of stuff, and then you are saying you want to buy more speakers!

Explain a bit more please, I'm confused!

Corabar Entertainment
16-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm confused! :zip:

Corabar Steve
16-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm confused!
Not hung over then?

Have a disco
16-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Best sub you could get Is Lennon woke up the squad LOL

oopos slightly off tack

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Not hung over then?

Never! :teeth:

Corabar Steve
16-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Best sub you could get Is Lennon woke up the squad LOL

oopos slightly off tack
Yeah, get back in your football thread! :teeth:

Corabar Steve
16-06-2006, 03:48 PM
2. A set of Class D compact subs (15" with internal crossover) running in line from the HH... do I really need subs with the Clubsys running at 2.2kW? (£215 new, taking it to 3.9kW)

3. A set of Class D 15" full range with Piezo's (£100 new) running in line with the Idex 12"s to give 4 Ohms, around 3.5kW, Clubsys on the floor with Class D's on top and Idex on top of them... or is that heading back where I came from into red Soundlab territory?
I don't know about their subs, but I've used Class D full range cabs & they're d@mn good for the money

pagan_flame
16-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Probably a silly question, but why do you need a show this big? You've just said you've sold a load of stuff, and then you are saying you want to buy more speakers!

Explain a bit more please, I'm confused!OK then.

I started off looking for an 8U flight case, the 6u shallow I bought just recently had been outgrown... found such an item on Ebay, sniped it for 56 quid. It was advertised with a SECOND flight case (SKB 8U), a twin tape deck plus rack shelf and speaker cables (the guy was an ex-fitness instructor who was selling off his old kit).

Pickup only, so off to Norwich... when I got there, he just kept bringing things out to the car until his hall was empty and the car was full "...Me Missus keeps nagging me - 'ere you're a DJ you can use this..."

Ended up with: 2 x 8u flight cases, JVC twin tape deck, a Laney 4 channel mixer PA, 2 x 30m speaker cables on reels, a third flight case with an old anonymous 4-channel mixer PA fitted in and finally an HH Electronic power amp (S500D) which turns out to be a 1.3kW item... :omg:

Have sold my 6u shallow rack, the SKB 8u rack and possibly the rack shelf which has doubled my money. Have put the twin tape deck in the third case with the PA mixer to give a fitness intructor / band practice PA rig, am trying to get 50 quid for that with the speaker cables as well but no luck so far.

Which leaves me with -
- 8U case (aluminum and wood)
- Laney 4-channel PA which I can use to mix bands into my rig - have put that on my website as an option for client at an extra £100, and got my first taker on that one this week!
- Double the money I spent in the first place with an additional 50 quid to come in... :beer:
- and a 1.3kW power amp, made of Indestructanium with no speakers to put it into.

So - I want a third set of speakers to go with the power amp for those days when 3kW just isn't enough. :omg: The rest of the time, the HH will be a backup amp.

Looks like I have a set of Hisys 2 bins for £200 lined up from another forum though, hence the question in the first place - would it be best to get a set of subs or another set of full range?

pagan_flame
24-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't know about their subs, but I've used Class D full range cabs & they're d@mn good for the moneyWell as nobody has spoken up in favour of the subs, looks like I'll be getting a set of the Class D's!

Corabar Entertainment
24-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Malcolm

If you want to come down and have a listen to them some time before you commit yourself, you are welcome :)

colinm345
24-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Well as nobody has spoken up in favour of the subs, looks like I'll be getting a set of the Class D's!

I am in favour of subs:teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I am in favour of subs:teeth:

Like this? :teeth:

colinm345
24-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Like this? :teeth:

lol ,You are getting worse,sorry

You keep up putting images in like that and you will have Steve posting The Seven Dwarfs again

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
24-06-2006, 02:15 PM
What about these (CD215)? (http://www.class-d.com/ProductList.aspx?Page=2&CatName=Speakers&Cat=48) middle ground so to speak & yes the price is for a pair.

Class D really ought to think about giving me comission :teeth: