PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Laser

OllieJames
30-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a laser as i've got a fair few teen gigs and a prom or two (already!) and as I can use haze at these gigs, I would like to use a laser.

I've had my eye on the new Equinox Zodiac laser (60mw green, animation and scanning) which does look fantastic, which I can buy brand new for £125 or for £169 with a case. But before I went ahead and bought something, I wondered if any of you had one you no longer needed?

DMX would be good as i'm looking to go into DMX this year, but not essential for now. Not looking to spend over £200 either.

Thanks guys,
Ollie

yourdj
30-01-2010, 10:02 AM
The sigma is fantastic!

YouTube- Equinox Sigma Laser @ djkit.com

deltic
30-01-2010, 10:07 AM
sigma here too great effect:thumbs_up:

OllieJames
30-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry forgot to say, I've already got an Equinox Nebula (starcluster) and am now after an effect laser, i.e. scanning or animation. Sorry for any confusion!

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Check out the Kam FScan 40 Ollie - I just picked on up very cheaply to put out on the teen parties and it's pretty good.

WWDJ
30-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm looking at the KAM FScan 40 too, I was planning on getting a couple and strapping them to te top on my speakers and running the master slave. I can generally use haze too, so I thought these and strobe/led panels lighting actually might be enough for teen gigs.

OllieJames
30-01-2010, 02:10 PM
The YouTube videos of the FSCAN40 look really good, and there's not much price difference between the fscan or the Zodiac. However, the Zodiac is 20mw brighter than the fscan, although i'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

DeckstarDeluxe
30-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Check out the Kam FScan 40 Ollie - I just picked on up very cheaply to put out on the teen parties and it's pretty good.

its what I use and for the money you cant really go wrong even if it is kam lol.

OllieJames
30-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Been doing a bit more research and I think i've decided on three contenders:

YouTube- Laser-UK Burst II

Approx £190

YouTube- DEMO EQUINOX ZODIAC ANIMATION LASER PART 1 @ THEAUDIOWORKSUK.COM

Approx £150 (£169 with case)

YouTube- KAM, FScan 40

Approx £140

Decisions, decisions!

All three are fairly similar, but all different manufacturers. I believe Laser-UK is purely a laser manufacturer, so would that mean the build quality/performance is a lot better than the other two?

Daz & Neil, Would you say the Fscan40 is bright enough when used alongside your scanners/moonflowers?

Cheers Guys!

wensleydale
30-01-2010, 07:03 PM
The Zodiac projects and Elephant!
Decision made.

Charlie Brown
30-01-2010, 10:29 PM
F scan 40 by Kam, is superb!

I brought it off Tom and the effect is stunning (especially when used with smoke/haze) Can't recommend it enough Ollie!

Walking elephants, dancing men, Chinease boxer, "Welcome," "Start"....are just some of the many things it projects. :)

WWDJ
30-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Re; Laser UK. I bought one of their lasers and had problems with DMX. There was no way of turning the laser off via DMX which I found a bit disturbing.

Let us know what you go for and please post some videos. Cheers

DeckstarDeluxe
31-01-2010, 01:53 AM
like i said ollie for the price its a good laser but Ive seen plenty of laser uk ones in my local store and would choose it over the fscan everytime.

However its down to what you prefer as its your money your parting with. With regards to the brightness of the fscan its fine indoors.

OllieJames
31-01-2010, 08:25 AM
The Zodiac projects and Elephant!
Decision made.

Hahaha! :Laugh:

I brought it off Tom and the effect is stunning (especially when used with smoke/haze) Can't recommend it enough Ollie!

Walking elephants, dancing men, Chinease boxer, "Welcome," "Start"....are just some of the many things it projects. :)

Ah right - thanks Charlie! I think I remember you buying it from Tom actually... did you manage to sort the problems out you were having?

Re; Laser UK. I bought one of their lasers and had problems with DMX. There was no way of turning the laser off via DMX which I found a bit disturbing.

Let us know what you go for and please post some videos. Cheers

That's odd! What laser was it?
When I get a laser, i'll do a video and post it up in the "Gallery".

like i said ollie for the price its a good laser but Ive seen plenty of laser uk ones in my local store and would choose it over the fscan everytime.

However its down to what you prefer as its your money your parting with. With regards to the brightness of the fscan its fine indoors.

Thanks for tagging me in the picture on FB, Neil. It does look very bright which is good, as when the laser is on, i'd like it to be the focus point!

I think i'll give my local DJing store a ring, I seem to remember them having a Laser-UK laser in... but I can't be sure. If they have it in, i'll have a look and let you know how I get on!

Cheers!

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Daz & Neil, Would you say the Fscan40 is bright enough when used alongside your scanners/moonflowers?

Lasers by their very nature are bright anyway, so you can't really compare to a moonflower etc

I used mine last night and it looked great with a bit of haze.

OllieJames
31-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your reply Daz. The Laser-UK lasers do look fantastic, but I'm not sure it's worth buying a £200+ laser as I won't get to use it much so i'll probabaly go for the Fscan40 as you have suggested. My local store have one in stock, so i'll get a demo.

Thanks once again!

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I was going to do a bit of videoing last night, but am awaiting a firmware upgrade on my phone so that it has the facility! Boo!