PDA

View Full Version : Auto changing date in word documents

rob1963
30-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but was just reminded of it in a similar thread.

A friend of mine is currently away, so his phone calls re-direct to myself, as I'm running his business until he gets back.

I have his booking confirmation template letter on my computer. This is a word document where I just amend the client's name, address & disco details before printing it off & sending it out.

At the top of the letter, is has the date, but there's no need to overtype this, as it automatically changes each day. I asked him how he set this up, and he told me that he had no idea as somebody else did it for him ages ago.

Therefore, I'd like to know if there's an easy way to incorporate a self-changing calendar into the word documents containing my own business template letters, as this will mean I have one less thing to type each time. Also, is it possible to have it in the same font & font size as my existing text?

Thanks in advance for any help on this, and I'm crossing my fingers that there's a simple way of doing it, as I'm not at all technical!

:D

Corabar Entertainment
30-01-2010, 12:32 PM
You don't say which program or version, but I'm guessing it's word we're talking about? ...and if so, all the versions are fairly similar:-

Insert>Date and Time> Choose the date format you want from the list and make sure you tick 'update automatically'

You can format this to whatever font/size, etc you like and then just save. Then every time you open the document, the date will update.

Down side, of course, is that it will ALWAYS update the date, so if you create a letter/invoice using this master and save it but then need to print a copy at a later date, the date will update again, so make sure you save it with the date you created the letter/invoice so that you can over-type if it is needed at a later date :)

If any of this doesn't make sense... shout! and I'll try explaining again (I know it's waffling a bit!)

Corabar Entertainment
30-01-2010, 12:50 PM
You don't say which program or version, but I'm guessing it's word we're talking about?

This is a word document

Auto changing date in word documents

DOH! Note to self: ENGAGE BRAIN WHEN READING! :doh:

Corabar Steve
30-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Angela is now on her second cup of coffee, normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. :sj:

rob1963
30-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'll give it a go.

rob1963
30-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, I've managed to do it.

Is there any way to put it back to how it was, should I change my mind?

Corabar Steve
30-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, I've managed to do it.

Is there any way to put it back to how it was, should I change my mind?
Just delete it & type the relevant date in.

rob1963
30-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Steve.