PDA

View Full Version : Background Music

Corabar Entertainment
18-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I recently had a conversation with a DJ about background music during a meal. He said he never actively 'DJs' - just sticks on a CD and lets it play and goes and sits down until he is needed.

Our lot actually DJ for background (ie using more than 1 CD deck, and more than 2 CDs!) OK, maybe not as actively as they do for the rest of the night, I'll grant you, but they still choose the tracks, change CDs, etc (although if there's a decent run of tracks that go OK on a couple of CDs, they might do 'robo' for a few songs).

So, what do you lot do?

BeerFunk
18-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I put The Grease Megamix on repeat

Only kiddin, as much as I hate that part of the night, I get on with it and do my job. Extremely boring though, and you generally have no idea as to whether people are appreciating what you're playing! I suppose the term 'no news is good news' would apply to this scenario :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2006, 11:54 PM
It depends on the function and also the kind of medium you are playing from.

With PCDJ I can make specific groups of songs for a particular function, which I can put on auto, and for a dinner/dance I most certainly would.

However, it varies from function to function, and as I send out request list forms, for some functions I would manually play some of the more non-dancey requests earlier on.

I think the difference here is what you play out on, 'cos as it currently stands, it's probably a lot easier for a computer based DJ to organise background tunes.

Danno13
18-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Have a folder in PCDJ called background and i usually select most of the tracks from that along with a few newer non-danceable tracks, so i can use the "I played that earlier" excuse if they are requested later on!

I do actively put the playlist together and this varies per function (e.g. last night it was a henley reggata theme so they wanted ratpack stuff to start with) but I don't just stand there picking one song at a time though like i would in the main part of the night....

Corabar Entertainment
18-06-2006, 11:56 PM
It depends on the function and also the kind of medium you are playing from.

With PCDJ I can make specific groups of songs for a particular function, which I can put on auto, and for a dinner/dance I most certainly would.

However, it varies from function to function, and as I send out request list forms, for some functions I would manually play some of the more non-dancey requests earlier on.

I think the difference here is what you play out on, 'cos as it currently stands, it's probably a lot easier for a computer based DJ to organise background tunes.
True - it's not the same for PC DJs because, as you rightly say, you can prepare a play list and 'let it go', so to speak.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Have a folder in PCDJ called background and i usually select most of the tracks from that along with a few newer non-danceable tracks, so i can use the "I played that earlier" excuse if they are requested later on!

I do actively put the playlist together and this varies per function (e.g. last night it was a henley reggata theme so they wanted ratpack stuff to start with) but I don't just stand there picking one song at a time though like i would in the main part of the night....

Posting at the same time methinks Dan :)

BeerFunk
19-06-2006, 12:04 AM
PC DJing is cheating...

....only joking!!!

:teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 12:06 AM
....but you didn't say what you do, Beerfunk..... :)

BeerFunk
19-06-2006, 12:07 AM
....but you didn't say what you do, Beerfunk..... :)

:confused: I did?? Post #2?? :confused:

Danno13
19-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah Daz, lol wondered where your post had come from when i read back through the thread...

PC DJing is cheating...

I take it that was just a joke?

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 12:13 AM
:confused: I did?? Post #2?? :confused: :embarasse :embarasse Must pay more attention :embarasse :embarasse Sorry - my excuse is I'm tired! :embarasse :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah Daz, lol wondered where your post had come from when i read back through the thread...

I take it that was just a joke?

Ooh, I really hope so... :mad: :teeth: :beer:

BeerFunk
19-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Ooh, I really hope so... :mad: :teeth: :beer:

If you highlight my entire post, you will see that it was ;)

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 12:40 PM
It is cheating. All DJs who use PCs are cheats, with no talent & a lousy ear for a song! :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 02:41 PM
It is cheating. All DJs who use PCs are cheats, with no talent & a lousy ear for a song! :teeth:

Shut up beardy :teeth:

If you are still DJing in 10 years, we'll see what you are using then.... :)

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 02:49 PM
:teeth: It's taken me 16 years to get used to CDs! :teeth:

CRAZY K
19-06-2006, 02:55 PM
And I was just thinking I should put my Country and Western Show on a laptop for convenience!

Does the music come out sounding different from a Laptop? :teeth:

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah, it sounds all futuristic :teeth:

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Stars on 45 never fails me

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Stars on 45 never fails me

For what?

Not background music surely? :omg:

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Yep the whole album works nicely as well as pop/rock classics in classics style gets people in the mood to boogie nearer the meal end

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Stars on 45 - whole album left running - background music :confused: :omg:

OK, up the tempo towards the end of the meal with some well chosen tracks to get feet tapping and get them in the mood, but..................... :eek:

joburgo
19-06-2006, 04:52 PM
you are, or soon will be, in a minority. after 35 years in the game i have learnt to adapt. I dont reckon i am a cheat. lousy ear for a song and no talent,i dont think so. Get into the real world :teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 04:54 PM
you are, or soon will be, in a minority. after 35 years in the game i have learnt to adapt. I dont reckon i am a cheat. lousy ear for a song and no talent,i dont think so. Get into the real world :teeth: :teeth:

I suspect Steve was joking....

(And if he wasn't, I'm going to give his beard a jolly good tug, next time I see him :omg: :teeth: )

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Stars on 45 - whole album left running - background music :confused: :omg:

My sentiments exactly :teeth:

I prefer something a bit more subtle or classy.

In fact I prefer anything apart from Stars on 45.... :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 05:03 PM
I suspect Steve was joking....

(And if he wasn't, I'm going to give his beard a jolly good tug, next time I see him :omg: :teeth: )Yes - he most certainly was.

My sentiments exactly

In fact I prefer anything apart from Stars on 45....... and (certainly speaking from a personal point of view) that goes for the whole gig - not just for the background!

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 05:03 PM
you are, or soon will be, in a minority. after 35 years in the game i have learnt to adapt. I dont reckon i am a cheat. lousy ear for a song and no talent,i dont think so. Get into the real world :teeth: :teeth:I am in the real world, I use real CDs not this virtual flapdoodle that you PC DJs use :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I am in the real world, I use real CDs not this virtual flapdoodle that you PC DJs use :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Flapdoodle?????????

Made up word!

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Poppycokc & flapdoodle :teeth:

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:07 PM
My sentiments exactly :teeth:

In fact I prefer anything apart from Stars on 45.... :teeth:

how about for PURE class a Black Lace Medley ? :teeth:

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 05:08 PM
and whats wrong with stars on 45 covers most things people would ask for beatles abba, stevie wonder and as for the rock classics done by classic artists U2 sounds great done by string quartet as does Bon Jovi and many others I have found pop classics sound even more interesting

joburgo
19-06-2006, 05:08 PM
I am in the real world, I use real CDs not this virtual flapdoodle that you PC DJs use :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
a real computer works just as well:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Black Lace Medley ?
Evenin' Doug

I was thinking more Tight Fit (either incarnation) myself

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 05:10 PM
how about for PURE class a Black Lace Medley ? :teeth:

I'm getting worried about you Douglas.

First you have it in your car and now you mention it on a forum.. :omg:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 05:11 PM
and whats wrong with stars on 45 covers most things people would ask for beatles abba, stevie wonder

Why not play the originals then?

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 05:13 PM
and whats wrong with stars on 45... ...and all with that lovely beat thrown in as well :teeth:

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Exactly people are tapping there feet just before they get dancing and its an original in its own right as the first ever true megamix??

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm getting worried about you Douglas.

First you have it in your car and now you mention it on a forum.. :omg:

I'm getting worried too .. only my mum calls me Douglas :embarasse

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm getting worried too .. only my mum calls me Douglas :embarasseYou're obviously bringing out his maternal instincts :) :)

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Evenin' Doug

I'll speak to you as you call me Doug :teeth:

not sure that we be available on the extensive Promos that badger enjoys, mind you they may make a funky house version you never know

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:21 PM
You're obviously bringing out his maternal instincts :) :)

Ahhhh he's pregnant ... that explains it

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 05:23 PM
...and all with that lovely beat thrown in as well :teeth:
Exactly people are tapping there feet just before they get dancing and its an original in its own right as the first ever true megamix??I was being sarcastic Badger! I find it so 'plastic', it annoys the hell out of me... I used to get tense and want to scream every time it was played at a function 20 years ago. Thankfully, since those times, I've never been at a function where it was played, but it makes me go cold just thinking about it :omg: :eek: :omg: :eek: :omg: :eek: :omg: :eek:

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Evenin' Doug

ahhhh with you now:embarasse

wam bam alakazam, that's the sound the super sounds of the 60's, were going back and checking it out, ready for some more hit the floor the great days are back again

that'll make your liver quiver and your back crack, but a little gut in your strut and pride in your stride, hit the rebound, this is the sound, the sounds of the 60's, we're going back and checkin' out, the hits from yesteryear .... LETS BOOGIE

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 05:31 PM
After that last post, Doug..... I'm with Darren on this one!
I'm getting worried about you Douglas. :teeth: :omg: :teeth: :omg: :teeth:

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:33 PM
of course i had to play it to get all the lyrics right, honestly who in their right mind would know that off by heart ?

..... i'll get my coat

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Ahhhh he's pregnant ... that explains it

OI!

I think the :beer: may have something to do with it...

Fresh
19-06-2006, 05:36 PM
well I personally think you should not drink while you are pregnant ...

Alex - Cream Ents
19-06-2006, 05:39 PM
They did a dance remix of stars on 45 last year...horrible...as was the original.

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 05:39 PM
ahhhh with you now:embarasse

wam bam alakazam, that's the sound the super sounds of the 60's, were going back and checking it out, ready for some more hit the floor the great days are back again

that'll make your liver quiver and your back crack, but a little gut in your strut and pride in your stride, hit the rebound, this is the sound, the sounds of the 60's, we're going back and checkin' out, the hits from yesteryear .... LETS BOOGIE

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
Yep or of course:

In the jungle, the quiet jungle, the lion sleeps tonight
In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight

&

Fantasy Island, you know we have a dream but
True love, holding us together
Starshine, Fantasy Island
You know I wish that we could stay like this forever
Fantasy Island, you know we have a dream but
True love, holding us together
Star shine, Fantasy Island
You know I wish that we could stay like this forever :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Actually I must confess I cut & pasted that from a lyrics site :embarasse

ian8limelight
19-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I recently had a conversation with a DJ about background music during a meal. He said he never actively 'DJs' - just sticks on a CD and lets it play and goes and sits down until he is needed.

Our lot actually DJ for background (ie using more than 1 CD deck, and more than 2 CDs!) OK, maybe not as actively as they do for the rest of the night, I'll grant you, but they still choose the tracks, change CDs, etc (although if there's a decent run of tracks that go OK on a couple of CDs, they might do 'robo' for a few songs).

So, what do you lot do?

Angela,

Going back to your original post, it would depend on the type of function and what the client requires.

If, for example, it is a Dinner-Dance without any speeches/wine takings during the meal (and the client is agreeable), I will leave an appropriate CD running BUT it is mixed so there won't be any gaps. I will always go back and 'show my face' every 15-20 minutes to check on the guests and on the CD. I will always ensure that the client/function staff know where I am.

If, on the other hand, there are 'breaks' in the meal, I will stay there as appropriate.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 05:49 PM
The other thing these days of course, is that you can get twin CD players that fade from one deck to the other, so that there aren't any gaps.

ian8limelight
19-06-2006, 05:55 PM
The other thing these days of course, is that you can get twin CD players that fade from one deck to the other, so that there aren't any gaps.

Indeed Darren, very astute of you.

You can also get CD/MP3 players that will play a track further into the CD and will fade from one to the other.

joburgo
19-06-2006, 05:56 PM
As does any decent software for your pc

ian8limelight
19-06-2006, 05:58 PM

I believe so, but I personally still prefer the use of CD's.

joburgo
19-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I believe so, but I personally still prefer the use of CD's.
yep a question of preference :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Indeed Darren, very astute of you.I'm just surprised that he remembers how CD decks work :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

ian8limelight
19-06-2006, 06:02 PM
yep a question of preference :teeth:

Indeed, each to their own I say.

I have used PCDJ on a number of occasions and find it very user friendly. However, having worked with computers for more years than I care to remember, I still don't trust them 100%.

soundtracker
19-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Stars on 45! What an affront to human decency! It'll be Jive Bunny next!

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 06:05 PM

I think after 3 years of using a PC I might know that.... :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Stars on 45! What an affront to human decency! It'll be Jive Bunny next!

Funnily enough, at the wedding I did on Saturday I had this bloke keep asking me to play Jive Bunny or Stars on 45, or any 'mixes' that I might have.

Needless to say I refused and told him I would play the originals if he liked...

joburgo
19-06-2006, 06:07 PM
I think after 3 years of using a PC I might know that.... :teeth:
only three :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 06:09 PM
only three :teeth:

For Djing yes.

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Funnily enough, at the wedding I did on Saturday I had this bloke keep asking me to play Jive Bunny or Stars on 45, or any 'mixes' that I might have.

Needless to say I refused and told him I would play the originals if he liked...Moody git! :teeth:

Fresh
19-06-2006, 07:35 PM
well then Darren how do you explain this from your website then :)

"We do not supply the kind of DJ who wont play a song because it will ruin his street credibility or is not 'cool' enough"

............. we need a can of worms icon

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 07:50 PM
well then Darren how do you explain this from your website then :)

"We do not supply the kind of DJ who wont play a song because it will ruin his street credibility or is not 'cool' enough"

............. we need a can of worms icon

Not at all.

I wasn't refusing to play the songs, just the mixes.

As I said, I offered to play the originals.

HA!

(Can of worms left unopened)

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 07:57 PM
(Can of worms left unopened)...even if a little wriggling had to be done :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 08:01 PM
A mere technicality M'laud the website says song not track :teeth:

+Scooby+
19-06-2006, 08:04 PM

And which model of Zimmer Frame are we using now?

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Have members left their sense of humour in their other trousers today? Once again, for the record, Steve was joking!!!!! ..... even if he did think that PC Djing was cheating, why on earth would he think that it was only used by DJs "with no talent & a lousy ear for a song"? What has one got to do with the other? He was taking the Michael - mostly out of Mr Thomas! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 08:11 PM
He was taking the Michael - mostly out of Mr Thomas! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
Oh yus!

+Scooby+
19-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Have members left their sense of humour in their other trousers today? Once again, for the record, Steve was joking!!!!! ..... even if he did think that PC Djing was cheating, why on earth would he think that it was only used by DJs "with no talent & a lousy ear for a song"? What has one got to do with the other? He was taking the Michael - mostly out of Mr Thomas! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Just like my missus

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 08:13 PM
It is cheating. All DJs who use PCs are cheats, with no talent & a lousy ear for a song! :teeth:& they're all really touchy about it! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

+Scooby+
19-06-2006, 08:16 PM
& they're all really touchy about it! :teeth::teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth::teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth::teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth::teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth::teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Let s face it you and your 8 Tracks have had it, bring on the Sinclair ZX81

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Let s face it you and your 8 Tracks have had it, bring on the Sinclair ZX81
8 tracks! new fangled gizmos, I use wax cylinders! :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 08:28 PM
OI, stop talking about me when I'm not here!

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 08:30 PM
...but it's more fun talking behind your back!

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Once again, I come out to the office during half time to have a fag and then go back to find the TV has been hijacked yet again for Big Brother....

BOO!

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Spain have just equalised

+Scooby+
19-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Once again, I come out to the office during half time to have a fag and then go back to find the TV has been hijacked yet again for Big Brother....

BOO!

Do what I do .. Dont watch TV!!

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Correction - they've just scored again - 2-1 now

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Correction - they've just scored again - 2-1 now

I won't bother watching the highlights now that I know the score then.... :sad:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Oopps! :embarasse

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 08:50 PM
3-1 now

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 08:52 PM
3-1 now

Slightly off topic here...

Background music - discuss :)

ian8limelight
19-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Slightly off topic here...

I have to say that I did try to bring it back on topic a couple of pages ago but ..................... :beer:

pulsemobiledisco
19-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Stars on 45 - thats why mobile DJ's have the Peter Kay repuation.

BeerFunk
19-06-2006, 09:36 PM

Shabba!! :shade:

ian8limelight
19-06-2006, 09:43 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 10:02 PM
From the John Smith's adverts? Tacky DJ at a wedding reception either making an announcement about the mother-in-law coming out from the toilets, or the other one where he plays a song for the bride who's standing with her 'father' "Annie, I'm not your daddy" and saying "WHAT! I thought everybody knew!"

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Excuse me but what a load of tosh

A lot of NORMAL people remember Stars on 45 as great easy going stuff not pretentious in any way.. Stuff the Peter Kay rubbish it still gets people dancing, much like the nolans abba etc etc its that 70's music feeling Happy music for people that want to be happy, call it cheese if you wish but never Peter Kay stuff. Lord knows what pretentious pile of bile you may be playing but Im there to make people enjoy there night not Mope around like Pi55ed parrots that have eaten bile pie.. Its good enough for a main set If I wished tou use it then, but 70% of background music is chosen by the happy customer after I ask them what they would like me to play most ask for happy music Star on 45 fall into that group every time

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I downloaded an album off iTunes a year or so back which was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra doing Coldplay, Travis, U2, Paul Weller, REM etc. Goes down quite well, usually mixed with Chillout album stuff & a couple off "Rock Swings" . On Boxing Day (after a chat with my audience who I'd also played for on Christmas Eve) I actually played the original versions which also went down well

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 10:18 PM
thats the stuff works miricles

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 10:25 PM

A lot of NORMAL people remember Stars on 45 as great easy going stuff not pretentious in any way.. Stuff the Peter Kay rubbish it still gets people dancing, much like the nolans abba etc etc its that 70's music feeling Happy music for people that want to be happy, call it cheese if you wish but never Peter Kay stuff. Lord knows what pretentious pile of bile you may be playing but Im there to make people enjoy there night not Mope around like Pi55ed parrots that have eaten bile pie.. Its good enough for a main set If I wished tou use it then, but 70% of background music is chosen by the happy customer after I ask them what they would like me to play most ask for happy music Star on 45 fall into that group every timeWhat like the Nolans remix "I'm in the mother******' mood for mother******' dancing"

You are most definately on your own here Stars on 45 was bad back when it came out & it hasn't aged well! :mad: Why not hone your mixing skills & do a live mix of the original versions. If your punter enjoys the Starsound versions as much as yoy say they do, then imagine their joy if they heard you doing a mix of it just for them? :) It would also have the added bonus of not haing that F***** annoying drum beat / hand clap that they used :angry:

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I'll put it down to class of client then, not too bothered but IT WORKS FOR ME

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 10:32 PM

A lot of NORMAL people remember Stars on 45 as great easy going stuff not pretentious in any way.. Stuff the Peter Kay rubbish it still gets people dancing, much like the nolans abba etc etc its that 70's music feeling Happy music for people that want to be happy, call it cheese if you wish but never Peter Kay stuff. Lord knows what pretentious pile of bile you may be playing but Im there to make people enjoy there night not Mope around like Pi55ed parrots that have eaten bile pie.. Its good enough for a main set If I wished tou use it then, but 70% of background music is chosen by the happy customer after I ask them what they would like me to play most ask for happy music Star on 45 fall into that group every time
Badger - everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there is no need to get abusive to other members (even if it is addressed generally rather than to a specific member!) just because they don't agree with your views! Calm down, dear... it's only a forum! :)

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 10:35 PM
was being calm darling just feel that it was as valid a group as any including the likes of Mirage which I still get away with playing Nothing to do with playing originals CHEESE WORKS

Was just instilling a healthy debate of something I value all good music weather I use it for background is just above and beyond

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Nobody has disagreed with the fact that Cheese works, Badger - that was never the point in question on this thread.

Healthy debate is what it's all about - but saying to all the members who have disagreed with you "Lord knows what pretentious pile of bile you may be playing but Im there to make people enjoy there night not Mope around like Pi55ed parrots that have eaten bile pie.." is not healthy debate

PS - Please don't call me 'darling'

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 10:41 PM
No but being critised, because I get away with playing it, was a point of the thread. it aint all laa dee daa stuff played all the time

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Nobody has disagreed with the fact that Cheese works, Badger - that was never the point in question on this thread.

PS - Please don't call me 'darling'Coz if she dosen't get the hump about it, I certainly will. Strange men calling my other half darling indeed! :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2006, 10:46 PM
No but being critised, because I get away with playing it, was a point of the thread. it aint all laa dee daa stuff played all the timeActually, that's incorrect. The point of the thread was actually whether you stood there and DJ'd the background music, or whether you just put on a CD and let it run - I should know, I started it. There was no mention of WHAT you played for background music.

Corabar Steve
19-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Actually, that's incorrect. The point of the thread was actually whether you stood there and DJ'd the background music, or whether you just put on a CD and let it run - I should know, I started it. There was no mention of WHAT you played for background music.
So let me see, the last post on topic would have been......
I downloaded an album off iTunes a year or so back which was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra doing Coldplay, Travis, U2, Paul Weller, REM etc. Goes down quite well, usually mixed with Chillout album stuff & a couple off "Rock Swings" . On Boxing Day (after a chat with my audience who I'd also played for on Christmas Eve) I actually played the original versions which also went down well
:teeth:

Have a disco
19-06-2006, 10:52 PM
being over polite sry

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, stop going off topic Steve....

colinm345
20-06-2006, 07:51 AM
We get asked to play a lot of background music,it depends a lot on the crowd,a good cd we have found is ****tail 2000

Sort of Mantovani style of music,with a mixture of old and new hits

A Happy Selection Of Chart Hits Played ****tail Lounge Style For Sophisticated Drinkers And Lounge Lizards Everywhere !

1. Children
2. Say You'll Be There
3. Your Gorgeous
4. You Got The Love
5. Parklife
6. Missing
7. There's Nothing I Won't Do
8. Where Do You Go
9. Good Enough
10. Breakfast At Tiffany's
11. Ooh Ahh (Just A Little Bit)
12. Encore Une Fois
13. Mysterious Girl
14. Return Of The Mack
15. Macarena
16. Disco 2000

http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/cd-s-videos-dvd-s-cdg-s-vcd-s/512565-mastermix-the-lance-gambit-trio-presents-****tail-2000-£4.99

However Bob Dylan background music has been requested for a wedding we are doing on the 8th of July :)

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes..... but do you 'DJ' or let a CD run?

Groove Spinner
20-06-2006, 10:07 AM
For weddings, I always discuss the background music with the B & G at the consultation. I then put together a suitable selection on PCDJ. I do prefer it if they ask for Swing When You're Winning though - much easier!

colinm345
20-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Yes..... but do you 'DJ' or let a CD run?

Let the CD run

CRAZY K
20-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Groove Spinner--as im not into DJ work a lot--whats Swing when your winning?

Is it Rat Pack music?

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Groove Spinner--as im not into DJ work a lot--whats Swing when your winning?

Is it Rat Pack music?

CRAZY K

It's a Robbie Williams CD :)

Swing stylee...

soundtracker
20-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I tend to chop and change between ballads,soul, swing, oldies just to kill the time. Surprising how often people come up and ask what the track is. I also use Rock swings, and Swing when you're winning, as well as Donald Fagen, Crowded House, Joss Stone, Norah jones etc.

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I tend to chop and change between ballads,soul, swing, oldies just to kill the time. Surprising how often people come up and ask what the track is. I also use Rock swings, and Swing when you're winning, as well as Donald Fagen, Crowded House, Joss Stone, Norah jones etc.
Yep Rock Swings works as well, must get hold od a copy of Cokctail 2000 myself

joburgo
20-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I use just about the same down here.(in the caves of the welsh valleys). Only joking. :teeth: We are a lovely bunch of people :) :) :) :teeth:

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Must be a regional thing then :teeth:

But do you DJ or let the CD run?

soundtracker
20-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't let a CD run, I like the punters to see that I'm actually doing something.

joburgo
20-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Must be a regional thing then :teeth:

But do you DJ or let the CD run?
let the pc do the work. Until the time the punters are ready to let thier hair down.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes - as I mentioned earlier on, it is different for PC DJs since you create a specific playlist for the function. The effect of this is that the result of what you do is closer to the "I DJ" than the "I let a CD run", but your actual actions are closer to the other way round!

I suppose the original question is really only relevant to CD DJs :)

soundtracker
20-06-2006, 01:55 PM
and jukeboxes!

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes - as I mentioned earlier on, it is different for PC DJs since you create a specific playlist for the function. The effect of this is that the result of what you do is closer to the "I DJ" than the "I let a CD run", but your actual actions are closer to the other way round!

So what you're saying is that PC DJs are a bit of a hybrid (no wonder they're so touchy!) :teeth:

Something just sprang to mind, as they are so sure it is the way forward

joburgo
20-06-2006, 02:08 PM

not at all,a pc can do exactly what a pair of cd decks can do. The bottom line here as far as i am concerned is,whether you play background music on a pc,cd decks or jukebox :teeth: the end result will still be the same. I try to persuade the punter to have a dj-less opening hour or so,as i think personally your presence is wasted. What i find is that the crowd gathered, like to have a good old natter, before-hand. :)

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 02:20 PM
not at all,a pc can do exactly what a pair of cd decks can do.Yes, but the way you acheive it is different.

If a CD DJ were to have "a dj-less opening hour", then all they could do is pick either 1 or 2 CDs and let them run, meaning that the background music is limited to whatever may be on those CDs; whereas a PC DJ can create their own track list specifically for that event and let it run. To have tailored background music, a CD DJ would have to physically stand there and change the CDs. That is what I was getting at - I am not saying one type of DJ is better / worse than any other, just that my originaly question really only pertained to DJs who used CDs, since PC DJs can achieve the same result without physically standing there all the time.

joburgo
20-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, but the way you acheive it is different.

If a CD DJ were to have "a dj-less opening hour", then all they could do is pick either 1 or 2 CDs and let them run, meaning that the background music is limited to whatever may be on those CDs; whereas a PC DJ can create their own track list specifically for that event and let it run. To have tailored background music, a CD DJ would have to physically stand there and change the CDs. That is what I was getting at - I am not saying one type of DJ is better / worse than any other, just that my originaly question really only pertained to DJs who used CDs, since PC DJs can achieve the same result without physically standing there all the time.
A cd dj can also achieve the same results. Most cd decks these days can interact with one and the other. You can load your cd decks with a couple of pre-determined cds and they play one track after another with the right type of fading. That will give you what,say 1hr 20mins of backround music.

joburgo
20-06-2006, 02:59 PM
A cd dj can also achieve the same results. Most cd decks these days can interact with one and the other. You can load your cd decks with a couple of pre-determined cds and they play one track after another with the right type of fading. That will give you what,say 1hr 20mins of backround music.
Sorry my maths are c- - P 2HRS 40MINS

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Sorry - maybe I am not making myself clear. Most DJs work with 2 CD decks and so you are limited to whatever music is on those 2 CDs if you go away and let it run.

As a PC DJ you can make a specific playlist of songs chosen from your entire collection.

Have a disco
20-06-2006, 03:18 PM
I let the music play no DJing required during a meal at a wedding seems pointless only there to turn music off when speeches start and on again when over for prelude to evening MP3 tracks are great 100 at a time

joburgo
20-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Sorry - maybe I am not making myself clear. Most DJs work with 2 CD decks and so you are limited to whatever music is on those 2 CDs if you go away and let it run.

As a PC DJ you can make a specific playlist of songs chosen from your entire collection.
your right in the fact that a pc dj could pump in a lot more background stuff. But i think +- 2.4 hrs of music should be enough at any gig for a cd jock.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 03:28 PM
your right in the fact that a pc dj could pump in a lot more background stuff. But i think +- 2.4 hrs of music should be enough at any gig for a cd jock.
I'm not taking about the length of time - I'm talking about the choice/variety of tracks

joburgo
20-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm not taking about the length of time - I'm talking about the choice/variety of tracks
Which brings me back to an earlier reply, of a couple of pre-determined cds should do the trick. Lets be honest,i think we as professional djs,on first contact with the client after we have been signed up,what type of music do you prefer is generally the first question you ask. Based upon thier answer you burn 2,3,4? cds for that particular gig,then store them away nicely for what you hope will be a future clients taste in music.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Which brings me back to an earlier reply, of a couple of pre-determined cds should do the trick. Lets be honest,i think we as professional djs,on first contact with the client after we have been signed up,what type of music do you prefer is generally the first question you ask. Based upon thier answer you burn 2,3,4? cds for that particular gig,then store them away nicely for what you hope will be a future clients taste in music.Ah! now I see what you're getting at. Sorry, but to copy tracks from various CDs to create a background CD like that for each gig would not be legal and we don't do it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Ah! now I see what you're getting at. Sorry, but to copy tracks from various CDs to create a background CD like that for each gig would not be legal and we don't do it.

You could do it with downloads though.... :)

It would cost a fortune though. :omg:

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Which brings me back to an earlier reply, of a couple of pre-determined cds should do the trick. But you are stuck with the content of those CDs.
Based upon thier answer you burn 2,3,4? cds for that particular gig,then store them away nicely for what you hope will be a future clients taste in music. Apart from the fact that it would be illegal as it stands at the moment.

I must admit I myself am of the opinion that If you're there you may as well DJ. I've got nothing against DJs that let CDs run , but Imagine you're sitting down to your company Christmas dinner & the DJ puts on "the best Christmas album in the world ever" on, you know every song on it, you know the running order, & you hate every single track on the d@nmed thing! Wouldn't you sooner have a DJ that through either playing CDs or compiling a playist on his PC plays an appropriate set of background music with the right tempo music interspersed with a selection of seasonal tracks?

Yes they'll be chatting & not necessarily paying attention to the music but I know there's a lot that do.

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 04:17 PM
You could do it with downloads though.... :)Indeed
It would cost a fortune though. :omg: INDEED!

joburgo
20-06-2006, 04:23 PM
But you are stuck with the content of those CDs. Apart from the fact that it would be illegal as it stands at the moment.

I must admit I myself am of the opinion that If you're there you may as well DJ. I've got nothing against DJs that let CDs run , but Imagine you're sitting down to your company Christmas dinner & the DJ puts on "the best Christmas album in the world ever" on, you know every song on it, you know the running order, & you hate every single track on the d@nmed thing! Wouldn't you sooner have a DJ that through either playing CDs or compiling a playist on his PC plays an appropriate set of background music with the right tempo music interspersed with a selection of seasonal tracks?

Yes they'll be chatting & not necessarily paying attention to the music but I know there's a lot that do.
The score so far as i see it,pc djs1 cd djs0

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 04:25 PM
The score so far as i see it,pc djs1 cd djs0

Yawn....

I didn't realise it was a competition.

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Having thought long & hard about my initial post I have to retract it. PC DJs are not cheats, with no talent & a lousy ear for a song,

they are infact law breaking, lazy work-shy bone idle layabouts, who probably wouldn't know a hard days work if it smacked them round the head! :teeth:

joburgo
20-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Yawn....

I didn't realise it was a competition.
oh dear.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 04:52 PM
..... and before a riot is started, may I draw everyone's attention to the big smilie at the end of Steve's post? :omg: :omg:

joburgo
20-06-2006, 04:54 PM
..... and before a riot is started, may I draw everyone's attention to the big smilie at the end of Steve's post? :omg: :omg:
noted :teeth:

joburgo
20-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Having thought long & hard about my initial post I have to retract it. PC DJs are not cheats, with no talent & a lousy ear for a song,

they are infact law breaking, lazy work-shy bone idle layabouts, who probably wouldn't know a hard days work if it smacked them round the head! :teeth:
hard nights work :teeth:

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 05:03 PM
day
n.
The period of light between dawn and nightfall; the interval from sunrise to sunset.

The 24-hour period during which the earth completes one rotation on its axis.
The period during which a celestial body makes a similar rotation.
(Abbr. D)
One of the numbered 24-hour periods into which a week, month, or year is divided.
The portion of a 24-hour period that is devoted to work, school, or business: an eight-hour day; a sale that lasted for three days.
A 24-hour period or a portion of it that is reserved for a certain activity: a day of rest.
A specific, characteristic period in one's lifetime: In Grandmother's day, skirts were long.
A period of opportunity or prominence: Every defendant is entitled to a day in court. That child will have her day.
A period of time in history; an era: We studied the tactics used in Napoleon's day. The day of computer science is well upon us.
Days Period of life or activity: The sick cat's :cat: days will soon be over.
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

joburgo
20-06-2006, 05:30 PM
day
n.
The period of light between dawn and nightfall; the interval from sunrise to sunset.

The 24-hour period during which the earth completes one rotation on its axis.
The period during which a celestial body makes a similar rotation.
(Abbr. D)
One of the numbered 24-hour periods into which a week, month, or year is divided.
The portion of a 24-hour period that is devoted to work, school, or business: an eight-hour day; a sale that lasted for three days.
A 24-hour period or a portion of it that is reserved for a certain activity: a day of rest.
A specific, characteristic period in one's lifetime: In Grandmother's day, skirts were long.
A period of opportunity or prominence: Every defendant is entitled to a day in court. That child will have her day.
A period of time in history; an era: We studied the tactics used in Napoleon's day. The day of computer science is well upon us.
Days Period of life or activity: The sick cat's :cat: days will soon be over.
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
wow :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 05:34 PM
wow :teeth:What do you mean "Wow".... all he did was "copy & paste" :teeth: :teeth:

Anyway..... drifting a little off topic here, aren't we? :) :omg: :) :omg:

ian8limelight
20-06-2006, 05:34 PM
From the John Smith's adverts? Tacky DJ at a wedding reception either making an announcement about the mother-in-law coming out from the toilets, or the other one where he plays a song for the bride who's standing with her 'father' "Annie, I'm not your daddy" and saying "WHAT! I thought everybody knew!"

Ah, ha ....... the pound coin's dropped !!!!!!!!!!

joburgo
20-06-2006, 05:36 PM
What do you mean "Wow".... all he did was "copy & paste" :teeth: :teeth:

how dumb of me :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Ah, ha ....... the pound coin's dropped !!!!!!!!!!Blimey! Things have gone up haven't they? It always used to be a penny that dropped in my day :teeth: This flippin' inflation lark is getting out of hand :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

joburgo
20-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Blimey! Things have gone up haven't they? It always used to be a penny that dropped in my day :teeth: This flippin' inflation lark is getting out of hand :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
he!he!he! :teeth:

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 05:56 PM
What do you mean "Wow".... all he did was "copy & paste" :teeth: :teeth:

Must've been in contact with the PC for too long, it's making me lazy! :teeth:

I posted that to illustrate a hard days work was still a relevant phrase regarding DJing, as opposed to DJing during daylight / night time hours. So ner!

joburgo
20-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Must've been in contact with the PC for too long, it's making me lazy! :teeth:

I posted that to illustrate a hard days work was still a relevant phrase regarding DJing, as opposed to DJing during daylight / night time hours. So ner!
wtg :teeth:

Corabar Steve
13-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Curious to know how much this has changed after so long.

Do folks still let the CDs run / flip flop, or do they DJ / compile a playlist, or something else?

I have a number of different style / era background lists for the HD2500 & either let them run (but stay with them, it looks like I'm doing something even if I'm not) flip flop between 2 different playlists (comes in handy at Xmas, 1 seasonal list, 1 regular background list), or do a full background DJ set. It all depends on the situation.

Oh & PC DJs are still a bunch of tallentless wasters! :sj:

simonp
13-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I flip flop = Entirely gig dependent on what I'm flip flopping - I'm that sad I created some warm up set lists for generic events, and warm up set lists covering genres as well :o - I often flick between whatever I feel is relevant - But I do stand there and manually change tracks 90% of the time when playing background music.

deltaforce
13-07-2011, 08:58 PM
only thing i will say about earlier posts is that anyone can dj with a laptop
but does not necessarily mean you are a bad dj. gotta say if i was to progress from cd's would go with a hd player!

Excalibur
13-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Come on lads and lasses, we get the only chance during the night to have a totally free rein musically, and you're going to let the :Censored: thing run on autopilot? :confused: I despair. :(

Show off. Impress. Think outside the box. Work. Press buttons. Believe me, it can pay dividends. I did what I've suggested at a function, and while I was still in the background music, they rebooked me for next year. Before I'd played a track in anger.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-07-2011, 09:18 PM
+1 with Peter on this one. Being a big lover of jazz,funk, soul and easy listening/lounge type music I enjoy this part of the evening more than playing the same old suspects at the end of the night.

DJ Jules
13-07-2011, 09:52 PM
+1 for me - plus I think the warmup/background music part of the night can be critical for later on. It might just be me, but when I'm at a function (as a guest) during the early part of the night, I'm making my decision pretty early on about what to do for the rest of the night, and if the DJ's song selection is poor (or he's outside raiding the buffet while a Mastermix compilation or the latest now plays on continuous), I'll probably start planning to move on.

Personally, I use the early part of the night for three things;

1. To play tracks that I otherwise wouldn't get to play, that is - current music that isn't dancable, tracks I haven't heard in years or just stuff I like.

2. To play a range of genres, artists and ages and watch the responses in the room. If I've got people singing along to tracks before the buffet is even out, then I'll have a pretty good idea what is likely to get them on their feet later on in the evening :D

3. To have a play and get used to any new effects/samples I might have picked up since I was last out and to play with transitions between tracks.

Julian

chrisj
13-07-2011, 09:53 PM
It all depnds on the function and what the client/s want for background music.

Charlie Brown
13-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Come on lads and lasses, we get the only chance during the night to have a totally free rein musically, and you're going to let the :Censored: thing run on autopilot? :confused: I despair. :(

Show off. Impress. Think outside the box. Work. Press buttons. Believe me, it can pay dividends. I did what I've suggested at a function, and while I was still in the background music, they rebooked me for next year. Before I'd played a track in anger.

:agree:

:beer1:

I play a variety. My best was last week - 'I like Chinese - Monty Python' :sj:

Jonathan Ford
13-07-2011, 11:25 PM
:agree:

:beer1:

I play a variety. My best was last week - 'I like Chinese - Monty Python' :sj:

You must be really friendly and eager to please....:D :D