PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new power supply for USB hub

Corabar Steve
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Word for word what it says on it

Input 100 - 240V - 1.0A max 50-60HZ

Output +5v (then a dash with 4 dots underneath) 2.6A

Any ideas?

I really don't know what I'm looking for & wondering if it would be easier just to buy new hubs.

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
To add to what Steve is saying: the power supply that came with the hub has pathetically thin wire, so we're looking for something that is a little bit more robust and will stand up to life on the road (albeit permanently mounted inside the back of a flight case)

Excalibur
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Word for word what it says on it

Input 100 - 240V - 1.0A max 50-60HZ

Output +5v (then a dash with 4 dots underneath) 2.6A

Any ideas?

I really don't know what I'm looking for & wondering if it would be easier just to buy new hubs.

Yeah. £3.50 plus an adaptor from shuko to UK.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?&products_id=107470

It's powered, in case you don't believe it.

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
:confused: It's the power supply lead we're after.... not a new hub :confused:

Sorry if we didn't make that clear in the OPs.

Excalibur
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
:confused: It's the power supply lead we're after.... not a new hub :confused:

Sorry if we didn't make that clear in the OPs.

You did. Steve also posted " Any ideas? ". I gave you an idea. Costing less than a fiver. :p :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
OH! OK... With you now :)

Excalibur
03-02-2010, 07:26 PM
OH! OK... With you now :)

Denarius cecidit. ;) :D I bought three, mainly because of the price.. and also because of the name. I nearly destroyed one of my belkins recently, and was very worried as I hastily put it back together. These looked like excellent replacements for the Cortex units, and I also needed one for the laptop.

So far I'm delighted with them.

Edit: Steve's specs are less important than tip size. That's why a new hub or two may be a better option.

NKR
03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
My Belkin hub was less than a fiver. Probably best to just buy a whole new hub. Try www.scan.co.uk our IT monkey at work put me on to them.

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
May very well end up getting new hubs, but we're finding that the wire is getting damaged (bare bits) because the wire is so pathetic on the things!

So, even if it cost a little bit more, would ideally like to get a better quality power supply and trust that it's going to last......

....but thanks both for the pointers. If we can't a get the power supply, then the links will come in extremely useful :approve:

Excalibur
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
May very well end up getting new hubs, but we're finding that the wire is getting damaged (bare bits) because the wire is so pathetic on the things!

So, even if it cost a little bit more, would ideally like to get a better quality power supply and trust that it's going to last......

:fp:
Your best bet is not getting a new hub power supply, but an universal power supply which fits a hub, if you see what I mean.

Can you clamp the hubs in position? That's what I did, stops movement, and thus damage.

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
The hubs ARE velcroed on to the inside of the flight case.... it's the other end that's the problem.

Probably end up buying new and putting some heat shrink on them

Excalibur
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
The hubs ARE velcroed on to the inside of the flight case.... it's the other end that's the problem.

Probably end up buying new and putting some heat shrink on them

Pardon my stunning display of outstanding ignorance, but if the hub's velcroed down, how does the power supply cable get damaged? :confused: :confused:

All my power is built into my box. If it doesn't move, it doesn't get damaged. Simples.

NKR
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Pardon my stunning display of outstanding ignorance, but if the hub's velcroed down, how does the power supply cable get damaged? :confused: :confused:

All my power is built into my box. If it doesn't move, it doesn't get damaged. Simples.

I have an eight socket surge protection block in the flight case so the only thing I do is pull the plug out and plug it in. The other wires are all secured so they don't move about. No need to ever see them again so doubt they will get damaged.

Megamix
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
i would recommend the D-link hubs

Corabar Steve
03-02-2010, 10:23 PM

it's the other end that's the problem.

:sj:

Your best bet is not getting a new hub power supply, but an universal power supply which fits a hub
More what I was after when I said any ideas. Unless anone knows somewhere I can get Belkin PSUs, it's either that or new hubs.

Excalibur
04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
More what I was after when I said any ideas. Unless anone knows somewhere I can get Belkin PSUs, it's either that or new hubs.

As requested, an universal power supply, £20.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517
versus £3.50 for a Belkin power supply, with free hub.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?&products_id=107470

Tricky one that, eh? ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

And I still want to know how you damage the wires, if they're never moved. :confused: :confused: :confused: