PDA

View Full Version : Amazing

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I know I'm always banging on about rasing the publics perception of our industry, and here is a good example of a client who didn't know what we do and the kind of thing we can arrange etc

I had a phone call today for a PA hire for a wedding in a Hotel on Sunday. They wanted it for background music in the afternoon and for dancing in the evening, with a couple of Twister type effects chucked in. I quoted £200 and he was happy.

After delving in a bit deeper, it turns out he has spent the last few weeks downloading music and sorting out software (SAM party DJ) so that they the exact music they want as it's a 60s themed wedding. They then want to plug the laptop into the PA etc.

After he had booked the PA, I asked him why it was so last minute and why they didn't book a DJ for their event. And his answer? He said he didn't think that DJs used computers and he definately didn't think that DJs would work from a playlist on a theme.

After he told me this, I did have a giggle to myself and told him he could have saved hours and hours of his time, by handing the function over to us to deal with. We could have discussed the playlist, and the types of music they required for the ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening, and sorted it all out for him.

I told him it would have been over double the price of the PA hire, but he said that had he known that a while ago, he would have booked us.

Obviously at this late stage and after all his planning, he wasn't going to book a disco with us, but I definately sold him the idea and he said he will come back to us for any future functions.

My point is, is that the publics view of us is still not good. Far too many amatuers around doing the job and not representing the industry well.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Very true: I had a customer contact us this morning for a 50th Birthday Party who had similar concerns. He told me that he had been to too many functions where young DJs were out of their depth, not knowing what to play for an older clientelle and so he was nervous about booking at DJ at all.... he hastened to add that he didn't have a problem with 'younger DJs', just that their knowledge might not be the same as that as an older DJ.

Anyway, after chatting with him for a while about how we operate, he has booked with us - and confirmed that, based on what I had told him, he would be happy with any of our DJs :teeth: :teeth:

But we really do need to make the public aware of what to look out for at every opportunity!

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't know what you're on about

SHABBA!

dj_ags
20-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Good old Peter Kay - you've got to love him :teeth:

But seriously though, as funny as he is, the fact remains that he doesn't help proceedings regarding the public's view on us DJ's, as in his "Mum Wants A Bungalow Tour" series, he did do a sketch mocking us, especially ones who do weddings!

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 02:07 PM
How do you think he'd feel if every DJ in the country made jokes about stand up comedians during their set?

I actually think he is more of a sit down comedian myself, he must be coz every time I see him doing his act on TV I have an overwhelming urge to shout SIT DOWN & SHUT UP!

Fresh
20-06-2006, 03:56 PM
get over yourselves and have a laugh ... I think Peter Kay has hit the nail on the head for the 70's and 80's DJ's hardly atypical of what we and the general public have all seen from time time time at some venue ...... that's how observational humour works ....... the same he has for northern's who don't like GARLIC BREAD !!! GARLIC ......... BREAD .... wurs me fish and chips and mushy peas.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 04:02 PM
get over yourselves and have a laugh ... I think Peter Kay has hit the nail on the head for the 70's and 80's DJ's hardly atypical of what we and the general public have all seen from time time time at some venue ......

The point is Doug, is that the general public still think of most DJs like the one Peter Kay does and joking apart, it doesn't do us any favours.

People's perception generally of a DJ is that stereotype and when you spend a lot of time educating and informing people that it is not the case, it's a step back.

Also, when was the last time you saw a decent image of a mobile DJ on TV? Just about every TV show or advert that has a DJ in, features some idiot with a shiny shirt, or a large bow tie, talking crap and using old retro style gear.

When did you last see a smart polished professional, with clean, modern equipment portrayed on TV?

And personally, I like Peter Kay, but it's still a step back when we are portrayed like that on TV.

partymix06
20-06-2006, 04:14 PM
mind you at least Peter Kay shows as a fat DJ thats about right for most I see

Fresh
20-06-2006, 04:19 PM
and he has got light screens

............. incoming

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 04:20 PM
mind you at least Peter Kay shows as a fat DJ thats about right for most I see

Oh, very funny.

How are you Stingo/Digital Sounds?

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Also, when was the last time you saw a decent image of a mobile DJ on TV? Just about every TV show or advert that has a DJ in, features some idiot with a shiny shirt, or a large bow tie, talking crap and using old retro style gear.

When did you last see a smart polished professional, with clean, modern equipment portrayed on TV?
Even in the Nokia Ad where the bloke hands the phone to the DJ waits for the anouncement, then claims the phone as he wants everyone to know he's got that particular model.

The makers of said ad contacted us to audition for it (we declined), as they didn't want to use the stereotypical image of mobile DJs they actually mentioned Peter Kay.

They said they wanted an actual Professional giging DJ with a system representative of those used by DJs these days.

What did they use? Somebody who may just as well have been Peter Kay with light screens & ropelights, no speaker stands, no overhead lights & his gear on a table!

Until the media's perception of mobile DJs changes to what the actuality is, the general public will see us as a (bad) joke

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Even in the Nokia Ad where the bloke hands the phone to the DJ waits for the anouncement, then claims the phone as he wants everyone to know he's got that particular model.

The makers of said ad contacted us to audition for it (we declined), as they didn't want to use the stereotypical image of mobile DJs they actually mentioned Peter Kay.

They said they wanted an actual Professional giging DJ with a system representative of those used by DJs these days.

What did they use? Somebody who may just as well have been Peter Kay with light screens & ropelights, no speaker stands, no overhead lights & his gear on a table!

Until the media's perception of mobile DJs changes to what the actuality is, the general public will see us as a (bad) joke

My point precisely.

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 05:06 PM
My point precisely.
Yes, I was just reitterating (SP?) it.

ian8limelight
20-06-2006, 05:32 PM
There are perceptions that mobile DJ's are amatueurish, but I'm confident that the NADJ, MDA, and this Forum have/going a long way to increase our professionalism.

But why do Brides?Grooms leave us to the bottom of their pecking order when it comes to booking all their wedding items ? It's us who finishes off the evening function (usually) and we are normally one of the items that guests will remember. I

've had a spate of Bride's ring up 'at the last minute' for prime Saturday's in June, July, August ... December because they think we're not busy, and they then get panic stricken when I say we can't cover their wedding.

However, saying this, I have recently found an increase in Brides/Grooms booking ahead at the same time as the venue/photographers/cars, etc .......... so fingers crossed for the future.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 05:38 PM
I know what you mean Ian. Enquiries for weddings recently have fallen into one of 2 categories: either those in a couple of months, or those for next year, and yes, when you say that you are fully booked they do sound so shocked! :omg:

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 05:39 PM
But why do Brides?Grooms leave us to the bottom of their pecking order when it comes to booking all their wedding items ? It's us who finishes off the evening function (usually) and we are normally one of the items that guests will remember. .
Ian, that's usually down to moronic comments on wedding forums, usually made by the people who run the sites themselves

ian8limelight
20-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Ian, that's usually down to moronic comments on wedding forums, usually made by the people who run the sites themselves

You know what they say about morons .......... These people should stick to what they know not what they think they know !!!!!!

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Very true

pdarnett
21-06-2006, 12:03 PM
So how can we address this image problem we have?. NADJ's answer was to produce a flyer for us, for us to send to prospective clients, but to be honest by that stage clients have made the decision on the entertainment based on their own misconceptions. I've seen the look on some peoples faces when they turn up at gigs as if to say "oh god they've got a disco", hopefully they think a little differently later on. But professional mobile DJ'ing needs something to raise its profile in the public eye.

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 12:20 PM
get over yourselves and have a laugh ... I think Peter Kay has hit the nail on the head for the 70's and 80's DJ's hardly atypical of what we and the general public have all seen from time time time at some venue ...... that's how observational humour works ....... the same he has for northern's who don't like GARLIC BREAD !!! GARLIC ......... BREAD .... wurs me fish and chips and mushy peas.

Going back to Peter Kay, come on let's be honest how many of us recognised parts of his spiel that were true..

kids running round sliding on their knees, the Uncles & Aunts that will jive to absolutely anything & also those DJ's who just can't shut up & have to talk over all the records.... (in fact at that point i thought he was describing most of my act!) Sorry, but yes i agree with all that as it is how many mobile disco's work, so i regard it as laughing "with" us but not at us.

After all i'm sure we all recall in Phoenix nights (which Peter Kay also wrote) when Ray Von did his 1st gig & stood there playing happy hardcore & belching out smoke shouting "Shabba" while all the old crumblies were sat round doing their knitting & Brian Potter came over saying "have you got a nice foxtrot, have you got a waltz" It may be humour but this is what happens, i've seen it myself!

I went into a club a few years back that was geared up for the over 30's & this DJ was stood there playing Darude, Scooter & Ian Van Dahl half the night yet looking at the average age of the punters you could tell they were more into Motown or 70's.... so who is doing us DJ's more harm? Peter Kay or the DJ's themselves.

You could say the public are doing themselves the harm... if they only want to pay the £80 a night DJ's to do their weddings or big important family celebrations, they deserve to get a rough time. I was packing up from a gig one night & the manager of the bar was moaning & groaning because he had been quoted £200 for a disco for his daughters wedding, then the bouncer pipes up "if you pay more than £150 you are being robbed!"

Much of Peter Kay's act rings true the "has thee nout moist!" episode in the London chip shop, that happened to me.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I would say that DJs behaving like that help to perpetuate the image of the mobile DJ that Kay has latched onto.

I would also say that it definately is a case of laughing at us, because as Wolfie rightly pointed out he probably has seen DJs behaving in the manner that he parody's in his act. Thankfully these DJs are now in the minority, but once something has a reputation it takes the general public forever to get over that preconcieved image. I'm sure Wolfie will see a parallel to this in the time the public's attitude to bikers has taken to accept the fact that we don't all behave like the ones in Mad Max 1 & go around raping pillaging & generally breaking the law.

It takes time for attitudes to change & this can be delayed by things like the John Smiths ads films like Mad Max etc etc...

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 12:54 PM
You get the same with a lot of things.. the police give out 20 ASBO's in your area & all the people under 25 in the area get tarred with the same brush.

Take it with a pinch of salt.. unless your name is Ray Von & you play Acid house music in workingmens clubs full of people waiting for the bingo, then you have not got anything to worry about, the key is to prove that you are not like the stereotype.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 01:10 PM
the key is to prove that you are not like the stereotype.The problem for a lot of us (not pointing fingers) is getting the public to look past that very stereotype, to get the bookings.

Once you've got a good reputation it's easy to keep it (as long as you don't blot your copybook), getting it in the first place is the tricky bit, especially with people around who prepetuate the stereotype.

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, why do these images get perpetuated? You like Football, so obviously you're a mindless thug! Makes your blood boil doesn't it.

I think as a statement of intent we should hire a big field, get the press along invite every DJ in the country to bring along their lightboxes, ropelights and fuzzlights and have a ceremonial burning of the lot for everyone to see!

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, why do these images get perpetuated? You like Football, so obviously you're a mindless thug! Makes your blood boil doesn't it.

I think as a statement of intent we should hire a big field, get the press along invite every DJ in the country to bring along their lightboxes, ropelights and fuzzlights and have a ceremonial burning of the lot for everyone to see!

It'll need to be a massive field then! :teeth:

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah but well worthwhile!

Corabar Entertainment
21-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Hmmm - sounds like fun, but I think environmental health might have something to say about that!

A big meet with reputable DJs and inviting the press along sounds like a half-decent idea though! :lightbulb

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Already in hand my dear!

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah, why do these images get perpetuated? You like Football, so obviously you're a mindless thug! Makes your blood boil doesn't it.Yes, my point exactly. :mad: even though there's been less trouble during the whole of the World Cup tournament so far than there is in High Barnet on a Friday night has nothing to do with it. The hooligan element is decreasing, but the publics perseption of football fans is the same as it was 20 years ago.

I think as a statement of intent we should hire a big field, get the press along invite every DJ in the country to bring along their lightboxes, ropelights and fuzzlights and have a ceremonial burning of the lot for everyone to see! Can I organise it??? :teeth: :teeth:

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 01:25 PM
You carry on mate- I'm just an ideas man!

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Already in hand my dear!

Have I missed something here, or is this something in the pipeline ?

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:02 PM
No idea!?!?

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 03:03 PM
must be a NADJ thing.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:04 PM
That was last week

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:06 PM
I thought last week's meeting (which I unfortunately missed and, by the sound of things so did my kids with Jesus coming to the door !!) was only (and not being derogatory) a regional meeting.

Corabar Entertainment
21-06-2006, 03:10 PM
It was, Ian..... Steve was joking

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:11 PM
It was, but that is the only meeting I've heard about over recent weeks (apart from the AGM which I think you went to didn't you so you wouldn't need telling about that one :teeth: )

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:13 PM
MMMMMMMMM ........ No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:15 PM
MMMMMMMMM ........ No doubt all will be revealed in due course.I hope so coz it's got me wondering now

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 03:42 PM
You'll find out in due course!

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:50 PM
You'll find out in due course!

Cheers - look forward to it !!

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Bit (Lot) of work to be done first!

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Bit (Lot) of work to be done first!

Please let me know if I can do anything to help at all.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Please let me know if I can do anything to help at all.

Count me in too Pete...(He said not knowing what it was in the first place :omg: )

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:58 PM
& me, but I'm just being nosey :teeth:

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Count me in too Pete...(He said not knowing what it was in the first place :omg: )
It involves a huge individual cash donation from all of you...............

Oh alright-it'll all become clear in due course :teeth:

Have a disco
21-06-2006, 04:07 PM

eer excuse me I put my lights on my speakers and soon on a windup frame and I use lightboxes and a ropelight I have no speakers on stands but speakers stacked safely I dont look like peter kay so whats not professional about me

please watch what you say

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 04:16 PM
You cheat at fantasy football?

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 04:16 PM
In my defence can I use the photos & associated posts that I posted Here (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=72&page=13&pp=10) Sorry Badger :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-09-2010, 08:30 PM
So, 4 years later and are we any further on?

Do the public take us more seriously?

Vectis
27-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Errrrr....... nope :o

The main problem (apart from lack of regulation which is a whole other debate) is that the majority of sales are still once-off events. Folks who hire discos regularly, or as part of their job role, can be worked on. Folks who hire 2 or 3 discos in their lifetime, nah. (80/20 rule applies here of course)

Larry B Entertainment
27-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Also, when was the last time you saw a decent image of a mobile DJ on TV?

Errrrr....Last Wednesday night

Excalibur
27-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Very true: I had a customer contact us this morning for a 50th Birthday Party who had similar concerns. He told me that he had been to too many functions where young DJs were out of their depth, not knowing what to play for an older clientelle and so he was nervous about booking at DJ at all.... he hastened to add that he didn't have a problem with 'younger DJs', just that their knowledge might not be the same as that as an older DJ.

Anyway, after chatting with him for a while about how we operate, he has booked with us - and confirmed that, based on what I had told him, he would be happy with any of our DJs :teeth: :teeth:

But we really do need to make the public aware of what to look out for at every opportunity!
The moral of the tale? book an experienced, mature and amenable DJ. ;) :D :D

Errrrr....... nope :o

The main problem (apart from lack of regulation which is a whole other debate) is that the majority of sales are still once-off events. Folks who hire discos regularly, or as part of their job role, can be worked on. Folks who hire 2 or 3 discos in their lifetime, nah. (80/20 rule applies here of course)
What he said. ;)

:D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-09-2010, 09:00 PM

No, I said 'decent'. :sj:

rob1963
27-09-2010, 09:17 PM
No, I said 'decent'. :sj:

:jawdrop:

simon1969
27-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Good old Peter Kay - you've got to love him :teeth:

But seriously though, as funny as he is, the fact remains that he doesn't help proceedings regarding the public's view on us DJ's, as in his "Mum Wants A Bungalow Tour" series, he did do a sketch mocking us, especially ones who do weddings!

Yes also mocks uncles,dads, kids, slimming clubs, the internet, so I don't think Peter Kay is dj public enemy no 1.......

Shakermaker Promotions
28-09-2010, 08:18 AM
One of the things I always say in my meetings is that long gone are the days of cheesy light panels, rope lights and traffic light systems. It's all moved on from that and looks classy etc. I also say that I hate the image of the Mobile DJ and I don't like the word 'Mobile DJ' either as it conjures up the image of people like Peter Kay etc.

Darren, you said "Modern & Clean" and that's spot on.

I have done a lot of 70s & 80s functions and I love doing them. I have had 1 enquiry before where they have requested the whole feel of it so they actually wanted the cheesy panels etc and I had to turn it down because I couldn't provide the stuff.

With reference to Peter Kay - I don't know why people are that worried. All he is doing is talking about his life experiences and making jokes about them. I don't think he's having a go or mocking Mobile DJ's at all.

Pe7e
28-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I have done a lot of 70s & 80s functions and I love doing them. I have had 1 enquiry before where they have requested the whole feel of it so they actually wanted the cheesy panels etc and I had to turn it down because I couldn't provide the stuff.

I've come across that in the hire business too, I've been asked if I had any 'propper' light screens instead of a starcloth, and do I have those 'police' light things. To some people the cheesy look is required for it to be a a real disco. I suppose in 20 years time the mobile DJ still working then, (if there are any) will be taking the micky out of todays smart setups.

Steve the DJ
28-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I also say that I hate the image of the Mobile DJ and I don't like the word 'Mobile DJ' either as it conjures up the image of people like Peter Kay etc.

Personally I think nothing conjures up the stereotypical image and associated negatives more than the phrase "mobile disco".

I believe that the term "Mobile DJ" is far more relevant, modern and in tune with what many of us tend to offer these days.

BeerFunk
28-09-2010, 12:12 PM
With reference to Peter Kay - I don't know why people are that worried. All he is doing is talking about his life experiences and making jokes about them. I don't think he's having a go or mocking Mobile DJ's at all.Yes, but Peter Kay's comedy is observational, and the audience laughs because they relate to what he's saying. So on that basis, people find his mobile DJ send-up funny because they've seen something similar in real life.

And let's face it, we've all seen the type of old fashioned DJ/disco he's talking about, still in operation today :(

Personally I think nothing conjures up the stereotypical image and associated negatives more than the phrase "mobile disco".

I believe that the term "Mobile DJ" is far more relevant, modern and in tune with what many of us tend to offer these days.The trouble is, a lot of people might not realise that the 'mobile DJ' does indeed come complete with a disco setup, and won't just be a DJ turning up with a mic, headphones and CDs!

I doubt anyone would presume that, in the case of a mobile disco, there would be a disco supplied with no DJ :)

Mark Wild
28-09-2010, 12:15 PM

:agree:

Be interesting to find out what all the full timers answer to the question " What do you do for a living? "

TONYTIGER
28-09-2010, 12:17 PM

I believe that the term "Mobile DJ" is far more relevant, modern and in tune with what many of us tend to offer these days.

How can that be a DJ is a person of course he or she is mobile and includes DJs who have no equipment ,Mobile Disco makes a statement that you get all the gear and that,s how the general public will read it.

In my opinion the mobile industry is in the worst state it has ever been since its conception in the 50s.

This NYE will be a land mark for me as it will be 50 years since i did my first paid job the industry has had its peaks 70s & 80s but has been on a slippery slope since then.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-09-2010, 12:34 PM
In my opinion the mobile industry is in the worst state it has ever been since its conception in the 50s.

Because?

Steve the DJ
28-09-2010, 12:47 PM
How can that be a DJ is a person of course he or she is mobile and includes DJs who have no equipment ,Mobile Disco makes a statement that you get all the gear and that,s how the general public will read it.

I think most clients today deserve a little more credit than that. Besides how many DJs do you know that refer to themselves as mobile and take no equipment at all?

Bar & Club DJs I can understand but I don't know of anyone that works as a mobile DJ and doesn't take equipment. :shrug:

This NYE will be a land mark for me as it will be 50 years since i did my first paid job the industry has had its peaks 70s & 80s but has been on a slippery slope since then.

It's been on a slippery slope since the eighties because many DJs are still charging the same fee they were back then...

:lol:

rob1963
28-09-2010, 12:53 PM

I couldn't agree more.

A mobile DJ isn't much good if they don't bring the disco with them!

However, I'm not surprised that Steve prefers "DJ" to "Disco", as it's part of his business name!

Steve the DJ
28-09-2010, 01:29 PM
However, I'm not surprised that Steve prefers "DJ" to "Disco", as it's part of his business name!

:D

What can I say, I just don't get asked very often to provide a disco, my clients want to book a DJ, the whole equipment/no equipment thing is just pedantic nonsense in my opinion. :shrug:

TONYTIGER
28-09-2010, 02:43 PM

What can I say, I just don't get asked very often to provide a disco, my clients want to book a DJ, the whole equipment/no equipment thing is just pedantic nonsense in my opinion. :shrug:

I see your point Steve ,but the name of this forum seems to say Mobile disco Forum not DJ forum if you see my point.:)

TONYTIGER
28-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Because?

Im just about to set off to the airport so i haven,t got time for a novel but most of the clues are in this post.;)

Shakermaker Promotions
28-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Because?

Because more than likely because when Mr Tiger was DJing, it was new and innovative and all of the equipment used had never been seen before...."Hey, look...a Mobile Night Club" kind of thing.

I am probably not going to be on many people's christmas card lists after this but I am only saying how I see it judging from the below....

I was speaking to a guy who still DJ's at the age of 65 the other day (at a wedding infact) and to say he was Mr Grumpy would be a massive understatement. He said that he started when he was 20 years old in 1965 and made quite a name for himself in the mid 60's and right through to the 80's because he was doing something that not many people were doing at the time. He said he had lots of work and was even doing lots of functions up until around 3 years ago. He said he was disgusted with the way things have gone in the Mobile Disco industry...mainly the way things are played (MP3's etc) and the amount of people doing it now and the prices they are charging.

I couldn't really talk much as I was working but it seemed like he was just a grumpy old git who had been overtaken by people in the industry who were providing a much better service. I did manage to ask him what he used and he said he was still using vinyl whenever possible and actually still had the same record decks from when he started (I can't remember what they were called).

One interesting thing he said was that he still has a lot of Beatles promo singles that he has in a lockup stored safely.

I had a call this morning from a lady that is looking for a DJ for her daughters 13th Birthday. It was funny, she said "I hope you don't mind me asking but how old are you?"...I replied "A young 42!"...She said she asked because her grandaughter said that she didn't want anyone old! (I guess a 25 year old would be ancient to her but you know what I mean).

Steve the DJ
28-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I see your point Steve ,but the name of this forum seems to say Mobile disco Forum not DJ forum if you see my point.:)

Of course I do and it is a critcism I have faced in the past, in fact Rob likes to remind me of the forum title on a frequent basis... :D

I didn't choose the forum or directory name so the owners can call it "Bob" for all I care, nor do I have any objections to people calling themselves a Mobile Disco, I just think it is an old fashioned term that portrays the wrong image.

My personal view is the term "Mobile Disco" will die out and probably sooner than many people think.

Just like the evolution in equipment, it's time to move on.

Quietly sneaks off to register the URL www.mobilebobdirectory.co.uk...

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Hmmm, mobile Bob directory....not quite the same. :sj:

Excalibur
28-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, but Peter Kay's comedy is observational, and the audience laughs because they relate to what he's saying. So on that basis, people find his mobile DJ send-up funny because they've seen something similar in real life.

And let's face it, we've all seen the type of old fashioned DJ/disco he's talking about, still in operation today :(

:)
Yeah, I see it every time I look in the mirror. ;) :D :D

Because more than likely because when Mr Tiger was DJing, it was new and innovative and all of the equipment used had never been seen before...."Hey, look...a Mobile Night Club" kind of thing.

A big big change, and an important one in my opinion, is that thirty years ago, we had way more music than the punters, the gear to play it on, and access to new stuff.
Nowadays, they've all shared the contents of twenty laptops, and they've got all the new songs on their phones that we can't get hold of.

I am probably not going to be on many people's christmas card lists after this but I am only saying how I see it judging from the below....

I was speaking to a guy who still DJ's at the age of 65 the other day (at a wedding infact) and to say he was Mr Grumpy would be a massive understatement. He said that he started when he was 20 years old in 1965 and made quite a name for himself in the mid 60's and right through to the 80's because he was doing something that not many people were doing at the time. He said he had lots of work and was even doing lots of functions up until around 3 years ago. He said he was disgusted with the way things have gone in the Mobile Disco industry...mainly the way things are played (MP3's etc) and the amount of people doing it now and the prices they are charging.

Oi, Gary, watch it. ;) Us Grumpy Old Gits have a Union you know. You'll be blacklisted. :p :D :D

Hmmm, mobile Bob directory....not quite the same. :sj:
Hmmmm, I don't know any Bobs, but I know a few Sids. ;)

Kernow
28-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Oi, Gary, watch it. ;) Us Grumpy Old Gits have a Union you know. You'll be blacklisted. :p :D :D ;)

Well said Shop Steward :claphands: ;)

Hmmmm, I don't know any Bobs,

WOW !! my very own directory :jumping:

:D :D

rob1963
28-09-2010, 10:41 PM
WOW !! my very own directory :jumping:

:D :D

And mine!

simonp
28-09-2010, 10:42 PM
:agree:

Be interesting to find out what all the full timers answer to the question " What do you do for a living? "

Professional DJ

I also agree with Steve re: the term 'Mobile Disco' being 'old hat' - I don't particularily like the term/phrase either, but I suppose it's what we are and what we do - and until a better title comes along I guess we're stuck with mobile disco :o

TONYTIGER
29-09-2010, 07:21 AM

Unlike you Gary i have made a effort to use your proper first name its called good manners.
For your information Mr Tiger is still DJing i suspect a lot more than you in fact as i reply to your assumptions i am in the Middle East yes DJing flights paid for my client.
As for your snipe re equipment i can assure you my present shows are light years ahead of yours.

As for the age reference what the hell is that got to do with things i can still hold my own in any type of venue or any age range of customers throughout the world,no im not a little clone mobile doing weddings in the South of England.

Mr grumpy i suggest you read my last post in good gig bad gig .

I notice your age and i suspect your thinking am i to old probably yes with a attitude like this ,or is it just a mid life crisis .Any way have a nice day ive got to go that nice warm Red Sea looks inviting.:cool:

Corabar Steve
29-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Somebody got out of bed the wrong side this morning! :sj:

Mark Wild
29-09-2010, 10:02 AM
With regards to age, I took my dad out with me on Saturday he's 64 and his knowledge of music never ceases to amaze me. Experience in this game is of massive importance (as with most vocations) I wish the younger generation could see and understand this more, Clients AND fellow DJ's.

rob1963
29-09-2010, 10:26 AM

I say "I run pub quiz nights & mobile discos".

I also agree with Steve re: the term 'Mobile Disco' being 'old hat'

How can the term be old hat when it's only been around for about 50 years & when it does exactly what it says on the tin?

Sorry, but I don't get that.

:shrug:

Corabar Steve
29-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I have video proof of this :sj:

rob1963
29-09-2010, 11:11 AM

:o

CRAZY K
29-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Unlike you Gary i have made a effort to use your proper first name its called good manners.
For your information Mr Tiger is still DJing i suspect a lot more than you in fact as i reply to your assumptions i am in the Middle East yes DJing flights paid for my client.
As for your snipe re equipment i can assure you my present shows are light years ahead of yours.

As for the age reference what the hell is that got to do with things i can still hold my own in any type of venue or any age range of customers throughout the world,no im not a little clone mobile doing weddings in the South of England.

Mr grumpy i suggest you read my last post in good gig bad gig .

I notice your age and i suspect your thinking am i to old probably yes with a attitude like this ,or is it just a mid life crisis .Any way have a nice day ive got to go that nice warm Red Sea looks inviting.:cool:

Perhaps the point to make is that older DJs( like me) are just as easily able to buy equipment, lights and music that younger ones can--any idiot can do that( not suggesting younger DJs are idiots just that ANYONE with money can do it)

So STRIP AWAY EQUIPMENT whats left?

Discuss ;)

TONYTIGER
29-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Somebody got out of bed the wrong side this morning! :sj:

No worked all night .

Excalibur
29-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Professional DJ

I also agree with Steve re: the term 'Mobile Disco' being 'old hat' - I don't particularily like the term/phrase either, but I suppose it's what we are and what we do - and until a better title comes along I guess we're stuck with mobile disco :o
Entertainer? :whistle:

Perhaps the point to make is that older DJs( like me) are just as easily able to buy equipment, lights and music that younger ones can--any idiot can do that( not suggesting younger DJs are idiots just that ANYONE with money can do it)

So STRIP AWAY EQUIPMENT whats left?

Discuss ;)
An Entertainer? :D :D

:

Steve, why have you videoed Rob's quiz nights and Discos? :confused: Are you a stalker? :p :D :D

Shaun
29-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Steve, why have you videoed Rob's quiz nights and Discos?

To scare away the trick or treat'ers next month?

Shakermaker Promotions
29-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Blimey! You could've called me Mr Shakermaker and I wouldn't have been offended! What's the problem? I didn't actually know your proper first name but I guess it's Tony. I thought you were kidding and using Tony The Tiger from the Frosties adverts (and I'm not joking)..silly me!

You may have noticed TONY that I have highlighted what I believe to be a very petty comment! What has that got to do with anything? For your information though... I have plenty of work on, too much infact hence the reason I have other DJ's to pass work on to and I'm very happy with my situation thanks!

Another petty comment! Come on, aren't you above that kind of pettiness at your age? I'm not going to sit here and argue about equipment. You may well be correct and good luck to you but pettiness is one of the things that gets my back up on forums and I will stand my ground and reply and more than likely, yet again get pulled up on it and told to shut up!

Yet again! 3 times in one reply! Was I talking about YOU? I think I recall mentioning speaking to someone who was 65. I also mentioned someone who was DJing back in the day, more than likely like yourself. I guess I'm the "little clone mobile doing weddings in the South of England" that you refer to. Very nice of you to say that. Well, if by clone you mean my rig looks like a few others than fair enough. If by clone you mean I am earning good money then yes, fair enough. The thing is, there are a few 'oldies' around my way in particular (just like the Mr Grumpy I mentioned), who have stopped doing what they were doing since I and a few others started because they can't compete with the quality etc. That's not blowing my own trumpet like some have said I have done in the past, that's telling YOU how it is!

I notice your age YES, a young 42 thanks! and i suspect your thinking am i to old probably yes with a attitude like this Er..Yes, you should know better! or is it just a mid life crisis .Any way have a nice day ive got to go that nice warm Red Sea looks inviting Don't drown will you otherwise your area will be one less golden oldie who thinks he's gods gift of the Mobile DJ World. How will they cope?

Well folks, another attack and one that has finally put the nail in the coffin for me. I have enjoyed this forum and it's advice and (some of it's characters) but pettiness like this does my head in. I didn't aim my original comments on this thread at TonyTiger at all but he seems to have taken offence to them. I am not apologising for them as they were general comments and not aimed at anyone. Neither am I apologising for my replies that will also come across as petty because I have stooped to the same level.
The Mr Grumpy I spoke about was someone that gave me that impression. He told me his age, how long he had been DJing and made out as if he was also Gods Gift of the DJ World but he was very grumpy...It looks like he was another TonyTiger so at the end of the day, I may aswell have aimed my comments at TonyTiger. The thing is...I don't know who he is (even though he could hold his own with the rest of the world!) and I have never met him.
Why he seems it's ok to have a go at me is beyond me but that's it.

Some people!
:mad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-09-2010, 08:03 PM
And on that note, as everyone has had their say and I started the thread and bought it back to life, I am going to close it.

Thank you and goodnight.