PDA

View Full Version : Generator

Fresh
20-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Could someone come up with a minimum spec generator (IE amp / watt supply) that could supply a standard rig (7 x 250w light effect, 2.5kw amp and mixer, laptop etc).

I need to spec one for a customer and wondered what sort of size would be required

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Could someone come up with a minimum spec generator (IE amp / watt supply) that could supply a standard rig (7 x 250w light effect, 2.5kw amp and mixer, laptop etc).

I need to spec one for a customer and wondered what sort of size would be required

Doug

Ring Paul at Corporate Events - he has a couple and will be able to tell you what you need.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 05:43 PM
If anyone can post up a simple explanation of how to work it out though, I'd be interested. :)

A1DL
20-06-2006, 05:48 PM

try Richie T at www.squatjuice.com (http://www.squatjuice.com), he's the main man when it comes to gennys, Richie is in Weymouth, you can PM him from the site

Paul James Promotions
20-06-2006, 06:48 PM
You're going to be pulling around 6k, so go for something about 8kva to 10kva. Also, make sure you use RCD protection.

Fresh
20-06-2006, 06:51 PM
ta, i have surge protection too, so that should stop any major blow ups

colinm345
20-06-2006, 08:25 PM
You're going to be pulling around 6k, so go for something about 8kva to 10kva. Also, make sure you use RCD protection.

Spot on and one of those will cost around £170,and make sure it has all the test certificates with it

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 08:55 PM
So, Jamie, Colin,..... any chance that you could share with everyone else how you calculate that? :)

Paul James Promotions
20-06-2006, 09:10 PM
For each 1000 watts of draw, you need 1 KVA of generator.

However, it's always best to have a generator with a higher rating, usually 50% to 100% more. Some amplifiers draw a large amount of current upon startup, and they also require a good clean supply to retain substancial reserves in the circuitry.

If using lighting such as par cans which have a large constant current draw, I would be wanting to have a generator of double the required amount.

Jamie

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 09:12 PM
basic rules for calculating what size generator you need... although there is very little calculating required if you do it simple.

all your equipment should have a power rating in "Watts" - it's not just restricted to your amplifier, electric kettle or microwave. Simply take all your DJ equipment, note down the power rating & then add them all together. You should notice on the back of the item or on the box a specification chart, this should display the information you need... failing that, google your items & find the specifications on the manufacturers website or that of an online shop.
it should like like this

With 6 clear lenses and inner dichroic colourwheel,
the Blizzard projects 12 colourful beams rotating back and forth to the beat of music.
Music-controlled Lamp: 2 x G6.35 24V/150W (lamps not included) Dimensions: 350x230x200mm.(LxWxH) Weight: 6 Kg

so this lamp i would suggest a rating of 350w (2x 150w bulbs + the tollerence for the motor)

Add probably a few thousand Watts on the figure you have come up with just in case you need to hire any equipment & of course to allow for tollerences. For lighting for example your lamp (as in the bulb) will draw 100w - 250w & the motor will draw another 50w of power on top, so for certainty double up on your lighting ratings.

You would be safer to double your required total power rating if you intend to upgrade your equipment, otherwise why you swap your 600w amplifier for a 2KW amplifer or swap your 4x100w moonflowers for 8x250w moving heads, you would find you may need to go out & buy a new generator to cope with the extra demands.

Many single phase domestic 30amp ring main installations are geared up to run at a maximum of 7200w so if you can run your sound system without blowing fuses or the need to hook into a 3 phase supply, then you should need a generator no bigger than 8KVA

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Paul James Promotions
20-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Some good advise Wolfie, but is this generator not for hire for a 'one off' event? In which case, the extra output to account for possible upgrades would be irrelevant.

Perhaps you could confirm this Fresh?

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 09:23 PM
true Jamie,

however... i recall doing several events where all of a sudden halfway through the disco someone will come along with a few other things to plug in which are unexpected. i.e. the party guest with the electric guitar & a few mates who turn up with other equipment to do a stint as a live band during the buffet & will ask to plug in to your generator.... or the bloke that has hired you who comes along with a load of smoke & bubble machines he's bought from the Gadget shop earlier that day because he thinks it's a good idea to put them in the doorway of the marquee because he thinks it will add effect..... you can't just say "no" sometimes.

Paul James Promotions
20-06-2006, 09:28 PM
true Jamie,

however... i recall doing several events where all of a sudden halfway through the disco someone will come along with a few other things to plug in which are unexpected. i.e. the party guest with the electric guitar & a few mates who turn up with other equipment to do a stint as a live band during the buffet & will ask to plug in to your generator.... or the bloke that has hired you who comes along with a load of smoke & bubble machines he's bought from the Gadget shop earlier that day because he thinks it's a good idea to put them in the doorway of the marquee because he thinks it will add effect..... you can't just say "no" sometimes.

Well, yes you can say NO.

If the client hasn't made you aware that there may be more equipment on the night, then they won't be allowed to use it.

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Fresh, was the generator for hire or a sale?

Fresh
21-06-2006, 10:09 PM
the client is organising one, so just wanted to make sure the spec was fit for purpose, all posts and help were appreciated

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Good stuff :D