PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service IS Important!

Shakermaker Promotions
09-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

Firstly, before I go any further, I am NOT going to name or shame the company in this thread. The whole point of it is about Customer Service or lack of in this case.

I have always been a firm believer in looking after the customers as best I can. I give every single one of them 100% commitment and go all out to be as accomodating as I can. I've seen people make mistakes in the past and it's shown me how NOT to go about my business. The way I look at it is, the customer is paying my wages and that way I get to pay the bills and also live the life I lead doing a job I love...sounds obvious but it's so true.

Anyway....a bit of background for you.
When I started out on my own, I did what most of us probably did and sounded out the competition (I don't like using that word) by doing a bit of 'Market Research'. I called and emailed a number of other Disco suppliers with enquiries for functions. The ones that I didn't actually speak to, I emailed. Of the ones that I spoke to, a couple were quite helpful, a couple were straight down the line and more or less said "My price is £***" and then there was a pause. There was no passion or even trying to sell themselves to me. One company were very helpful (I've not seen them on this forum before) and it was a very informative and interesting conversation. I have even used some of the lines in my own conversations with customers and it has helped me.

Sadly, one company (who I will not name but who DO post on this forum), was....well....almost rude. It felt as if they were doing me a favour by bothering to speak to me. I won't go too over the top but I got off the phone from them and a number of expletives came out of my mouth because it had wound me up so much. That name stuck in my head at the time and that was around 5 years ago now. I thought the 'customer service' was disgusting to be totally honest with you.

So, sometime last year (I can't remember when it was exactly), I had a bit of a problem with a booking. My other DJ came down with a virus and couldn't work for me. It was a wedding if I remember correctly. I called a number of people I know (a few from here aswell) but no'one was available. I thought to myself that I would grin and bare it and give the company with the rubbish customer service a call. Knowing that they have lots of DJ's, I thought that they would be able to help.....I was silly.

I called them and the voice on the end of the phone was pleasant enough at the beginning of the call. When they realised that I was not a customer but another Disco supplier, their attitude changed completely...no joke. I was spoken to like an idiot, as if I was stupid. I told the person on the other end of the phone that I was trying to give them a job that I couldn't do. Our prices were around the same yet I was shouted at down the phone that VAT would need to be added to it. It wasn't a problem for me as I would've paid the whole thing myself to get the booking covered but it seemed like the company in question simply didn't want to know. I was in conversation and ready to agree to pay up when the other person said "I have to go" and put the phone down on me!

Again, the name stuck in my head and I said to myself "Never again". I ended up getting someone to do the function via someone on here thankfully.

This morning I received a call from a customer regarding a booking in the next few months. The guy was very complimentary towards me as I gave him the usual stuff over the phone. He mentioned in his call that he was looking for quotations and had called various Disco suppliers. Some weren't answering the phone but a couple had and the quotes he had received were ok. He mentioned the company (who I am not naming remember) and said that their quote was fine but he didn't know whether to go ahead and book with them so he was calling around to see what others could do....hence his call to me.

By the end of the call he told me that he would like to book me and some extra services and that he would get straight back to the other company and say that he was not going to book with them. He also mentioned something about their figures being wrong with regards to the added VAT and was going to question them on it....(I didn't understand that bit :confused: ). I took all the details, emailed him a confirmed quotation, got his reply email, did the booking forms and then posted them immediately.

Just before I went off to darts earlier this evening, he called me again. He said "Just thought I would let you know how I got on with **************" (because I had mentioned that they were on a forum I go on). He said that he was very angry with them. He questioned their calculations as he said he would do and whoever he spoke to said "Sorry about that, ***** isn't good with figures!" (how silly is that?). He said he had also received an email from them saying that he was a time waster, a pain and that they couldn't believe that he would go with another company (namely ME!) when they had given him an acceptable quotation. I asked if they had been negative towards me and my business and he said no, they had put my name in brackets. If they had of been then I would've had no hesitation whatsoever in naming and shaming them on here and I would probably have been banned for doing so.

At the end of the day, it seems to me that this particular company have either no people skills, customer service or both. I've witnessed it myself and now a customer has told me too. The customer (who is MY customer now...sorry) commented that I came across as much more personal.

Customer Service IS important and I can't see how some people/companies forget that. You get bad customer service and you remember it just the same as you do when you get good customer service. I could be in the biggest strop in the world but if that phone rings and it's an enquiry, I will always turn on the personal service and no'one knows (I'll expect loads of mystery enquirers now trying to catch me out ;) ). Maybe it's a case of standards dropping because certain business' get too big or take on too much...who knows? All I know is, there a number of other suppliers that I would recommend (and I DO recommend them) but there is one at the top of my list now that I wouldn't dare recommend.

My apologies to anyone that thinks I may be out of order on this. I haven't named any names and it could be anyone on here. The whole point of it is to say that Customer Service counts for a lot. Not just getting the job but from start to finish.

rob1963
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for a great post, and I couldn't agree more.

I do everything I can to be as polite, friendly & efficient as possible when dealing with customers.

Unfortunately, I'm not often able to do this as well as I'd like, as nearly all my enquiries come by email rather than phone calls.

Going back to the company you were talking about, when they act like this, it makes you wonder how they manage to get any bookings...let alone repeat work!

:confused:

spin mobile disco
09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Ah well think of it as no longer competition. I do not give companies second chances if mis treated so I can assume that others would feel like this as well.
Its hard sometimes to remain proffesional and keep your mouth shut about other supliers you know are bad.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Its hard sometimes to remain proffesional and keep your mouth shut about other supliers you know are bad.

I don't think it is. Why would I worry about what others think or do. I just concentrate on my own business and let others get on with theirs.

soundtracker
09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think it is. Why would I worry about what others think or do. I just concentrate on my own business and let others get on with theirs.

Agree completely:)

A1DL
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Why would I worry about what others think or do. I just concentrate on my own business and let others get on with theirs.

:agree:

Well said, boss. I couldn't agree more and firmly believe if you concentrate your efforts 100% on your own business, you will increase your customer satisfaction and in turn, your sales and profitability.

Time spent fretting over what other individuals or companies are doing is time that's better spent on your own business, or with your family or on the golf course.

NKR
10-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Agreed. I believe we offer the best service in our area, so I am not worried about what everyone else is doing. Unless it's amazingly brilliant, then I will start doing it too.

Shakermaker Promotions
10-02-2010, 09:20 AM

I'm doing just that and remaining professional about it. I am merely highlighting the fact that Customer Service IS important and that maybe it is harder or doesn't come naturally to some people.

Spin - With reference to your comment about forgetting them as competition. I've never liked the word competition when it comes to business because if it was a competition...how would I be able to compete with a business that is a lot bigger than I am and can offer a lot more? The customer mentioned to me (as I said), that he liked the way I came across as informative and much more personal.

Rob - I guess that companies like this will get lots of work and continue getting lots of work because they more than likely do a decent job where it matters and that's the entertaining part. Maybe some people out there aren't as picky as me when it comes to Customer Service at the start of an enquiry? I know it's not the case all of the time but sometimes I think that the standards can drop when you are operate on a larger scale than say someone like myself who is a very small operator. As I said, I don't think it's the case with everyone.

Darren - I'm not worried about what anyone else is doing. I used this scenario as an example because I thought it was out of order. Their loss, my gain I guess and I don't mean that to sound nasty. I have received the email this morning. The customer forwarded it on to me and it's dodgy whatever way you look it. There was no negativity towards me or my business so that's cool but the wording to a customer is bang out of order. None of my business as you rightly say but again...I didn't say who it was and I won't but my 2 experiences plus this one just doesn't paint a decent picture.

If you are a business out there and do not know what's going on then surely it's helpful when someone highlights something like this? If my name was being spoken about in a negative way because my customer service was bad and no'one told me...well, I'd more than likely carry on like it because I know no different.

Darren - Lastly, I know I caught you online last night just after I posted this and so I know your thoughts on it. If you think that it is out of order in any way at all then delete it.

gaza
10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

Firstly, before I go any further, I am NOT going to name or shame the company in this thread. The whole point of it is about Customer Service or lack of in this case.

I have always been a firm believer in looking after the customers as best I can. I give every single one of them 100% commitment and go all out to be as accomodating as I can. I've seen people make mistakes in the past and it's shown me how NOT to go about my business. The way I look at it is, the customer is paying my wages and that way I get to pay the bills and also live the life I lead doing a job I love...sounds obvious but it's so true.

Anyway....a bit of background for you.
When I started out on my own, I did what most of us probably did and sounded out the competition (I don't like using that word) by doing a bit of 'Market Research'. I called and emailed a number of other Disco suppliers with enquiries for functions. The ones that I didn't actually speak to, I emailed. Of the ones that I spoke to, a couple were quite helpful, a couple were straight down the line and more or less said "My price is £***" and then there was a pause. There was no passion or even trying to sell themselves to me. One company were very helpful (I've not seen them on this forum before) and it was a very informative and interesting conversation. I have even used some of the lines in my own conversations with customers and it has helped me.

Sadly, one company (who I will not name but who DO post on this forum), was....well....almost rude. It felt as if they were doing me a favour by bothering to speak to me. I won't go too over the top but I got off the phone from them and a number of expletives came out of my mouth because it had wound me up so much. That name stuck in my head at the time and that was around 5 years ago now. I thought the 'customer service' was disgusting to be totally honest with you.

So, sometime last year (I can't remember when it was exactly), I had a bit of a problem with a booking. My other DJ came down with a virus and couldn't work for me. It was a wedding if I remember correctly. I called a number of people I know (a few from here aswell) but no'one was available. I thought to myself that I would grin and bare it and give the company with the rubbish customer service a call. Knowing that they have lots of DJ's, I thought that they would be able to help.....I was silly.

I called them and the voice on the end of the phone was pleasant enough at the beginning of the call. When they realised that I was not a customer but another Disco supplier, their attitude changed completely...no joke. I was spoken to like an idiot, as if I was stupid. I told the person on the other end of the phone that I was trying to give them a job that I couldn't do. Our prices were around the same yet I was shouted at down the phone that VAT would need to be added to it. It wasn't a problem for me as I would've paid the whole thing myself to get the booking covered but it seemed like the company in question simply didn't want to know. I was in conversation and ready to agree to pay up when the other person said "I have to go" and put the phone down on me!

Again, the name stuck in my head and I said to myself "Never again". I ended up getting someone to do the function via someone on here thankfully.

This morning I received a call from a customer regarding a booking in the next few months. The guy was very complimentary towards me as I gave him the usual stuff over the phone. He mentioned in his call that he was looking for quotations and had called various Disco suppliers. Some weren't answering the phone but a couple had and the quotes he had received were ok. He mentioned the company (who I am not naming remember) and said that their quote was fine but he didn't know whether to go ahead and book with them so he was calling around to see what others could do....hence his call to me.

By the end of the call he told me that he would like to book me and some extra services and that he would get straight back to the other company and say that he was not going to book with them. He also mentioned something about their figures being wrong with regards to the added VAT and was going to question them on it....(I didn't understand that bit :confused: ). I took all the details, emailed him a confirmed quotation, got his reply email, did the booking forms and then posted them immediately.

Just before I went off to darts earlier this evening, he called me again. He said "Just thought I would let you know how I got on with **************" (because I had mentioned that they were on a forum I go on). He said that he was very angry with them. He questioned their calculations as he said he would do and whoever he spoke to said "Sorry about that, ***** isn't good with figures!" (how silly is that?). He said he had also received an email from them saying that he was a time waster, a pain and that they couldn't believe that he would go with another company (namely ME!) when they had given him an acceptable quotation. I asked if they had been negative towards me and my business and he said no, they had put my name in brackets. If they had of been then I would've had no hesitation whatsoever in naming and shaming them on here and I would probably have been banned for doing so.

At the end of the day, it seems to me that this particular company have either no people skills, customer service or both. I've witnessed it myself and now a customer has told me too. The customer (who is MY customer now...sorry) commented that I came across as much more personal.

Customer Service IS important and I can't see how some people/companies forget that. You get bad customer service and you remember it just the same as you do when you get good customer service. I could be in the biggest strop in the world but if that phone rings and it's an enquiry, I will always turn on the personal service and no'one knows (I'll expect loads of mystery enquirers now trying to catch me out ;) ). Maybe it's a case of standards dropping because certain business' get too big or take on too much...who knows? All I know is, there a number of other suppliers that I would recommend (and I DO recommend them) but there is one at the top of my list now that I wouldn't dare recommend.

My apologies to anyone that thinks I may be out of order on this. I haven't named any names and it could be anyone on here. The whole point of it is to say that Customer Service counts for a lot. Not just getting the job but from start to finish.

Gary
Perhaps the company in question are not a limited company and are just adding the vat on top, have you checked with company house, although this would be very silly if that was the case.

A1DL
10-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Gary
Perhaps the company in question are not a limited company and are just adding the vat on top, have you checked with company house, although this would be very silly if that was the case.

Hi Gaza

How are you doing matey :beer1:

You could have hit the nail on the head there, there are scammers out there with enough front to pull a trick like that and pocket the so called "vat charge". However I don't believe a Companies House check indicates if a company is vat registered.

Tony

Corabar Steve
10-02-2010, 11:35 AM
However I don't believe a Companies House check indicates if a company is vat registered.

It might be included in the full company search (dunno, haven't looked), but just checking that somebody is listed with Companies House only proves that they are a regstered company.

Corabar Entertainment
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
VAT and company registration are mutually exclusive: you can be a company and not be VAT registered; likewise, you don't have to be a ltd company to be VAT registered.

A1DL
10-02-2010, 12:09 PM
VAT and company registration are mutually exclusive: you can be a company and not be VAT registered; likewise, you don't have to be a ltd company to be VAT registered.

...rather like being a Girlie and a Chief Technician - they're mutually exclusive too, eh Ang? :p

Corabar Entertainment
10-02-2010, 12:28 PM
....I wouldn't know, Tony.... having never been either! :ner:

Danno13
10-02-2010, 01:13 PM
You can check VAT numbers here...

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/lang.do?fromWhichPage=vieshome&selectedLanguage=EN

gaza
10-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Gaza

How are you doing matey :beer1:

You could have hit the nail on the head there, there are scammers out there with enough front to pull a trick like that and pocket the so called "vat charge". However I don't believe a Companies House check indicates if a company is vat registered.

Tony

Hi Tony, i am well thank you.