PDA

View Full Version : Mixer sound quality

paull
21-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my mixer. The two key requirements are sound quality and reliabilty.

Currently I have a basic gemini two fader mixer and am looking at a DJM3000 as this has the number of inputs and Balanced outs plus FX that I would like. The reliabilty I have taken as read, but what can I expect in terms of improvement in sound?

Regards

Paul

BeerFunk
21-06-2006, 12:06 PM
If sound quality is more important to you, then you should be looking at Denon, Vestax Rane, Allen & Heath, Formula One etc - obviously some of them might be out of your budget.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 12:22 PM
If sound quality is more important to you, then you should be looking at Denon, Vestax Rane, Allen & Heath, Formula One etc - obviously some of them might be out of your budget.

I would have thought the Pioneer had pretty good sound quality (judging by the price!)

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I would have thought the Pioneer had pretty good sound quality (judging by the price!)

I'm not a big fan of the Pioneers, especially the DJM600. It's not too difficult to clip the output, plus the XLRs are wired out of phase (pin 3 + / hot).

Rane would be my first choice, followed by Allen & Heath.

paull
21-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for that, what do you think of the Denon DNX 800?

Paul

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for that, what do you think of the Denon DNX 800?

Paul

I've got a DN-X400 which is the smaller brother and I think it's alright.

The mixer is slightly cramped if you have big fingers and runs quite warm, but is well set out and sound quality is reasonably good. The faders are quite smooth and there's not much play on them.

One thing I don't like is the fact that the power switch is on the back, so that if you have it in a case you have to leave it on.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my mixer. The two key requirements are sound quality and reliabilty.

Currently I have a basic gemini two fader mixer and am looking at a DJM3000 as this has the number of inputs and Balanced outs plus FX that I would like. The reliabilty I have taken as read, but what can I expect in terms of improvement in sound?

Regards

PaulHas anyone actually had any experience of the mixers (DJM3000 or DNX 800) that Paull is asking about? If so could they tell us about any improvement in sound quality over a basic 2 channel jobby?

paull
21-06-2006, 01:17 PM
So given the choice of a Denon DNX 800 and a Pioner DJM 3000 would you go for the Denon on the basis of sound quality?

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 01:34 PM
So given the choice of a Denon DNX 800 and a Pioner DJM 3000 would you go for the Denon on the basis of sound quality?
The thing is, your rig is only as good as it's weakest link (where have I heard that before??) A great mixer will sound lousy through rubbish speakers & a ropey amp. With most mixers you can change the tone with the EQ. I would say the main thing about a mixer is, does it have all the features you want & how easy is it to opperate under gig conditions?

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Has anyone actually had any experience of the mixers (DJM3000 or DNX 800) that Paull is asking about? If so could they tell us about any improvement in sound quality over a basic 2 channel jobby?

I have had 2 x DJM500 mixers (didn't need the extra effects for the DJM600) and have also owneed a DJM 3000. I am a great fan of the quality of sound given out by the Pioneer mixers with the additional H/M/B adjustments for each channel. It is, in my humble opinion, a far superior quality to Behringer or mixers of a similar vein whose output sounds very 'tinny'.

Only for ease of casing have I recently moved to a Denon DN-X500 mixer. The individual faders need to be tweeked a little more than the Pioneer mixers but, overall, I would say that they are of equal high quality.

What I have found, in my 25 years + being a mobile DJ, is that the quality of sound various from one individual to another, but is also enhanced by the quality of speakers that you use. I now use Mackie SRM450's and, before that, Peavey Impulse 200's. I find the quality of these speakers very high (and have received numerous similar comments from clients) although I do have 'Bose v Mackie' "battles" with one of my colleagues regularly !!

My suggestion would be, as with many items of equipment/PC's, etc - set yourself a budget, work within it, and get the best value for your budget that you can.

Hope this helps.

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 02:49 PM
One thing I don't like is the fact that the power switch is on the back, so that if you have it in a case you have to leave it on.

Not if you get the right kind of case, Daz. I've recently got one of the 'ratched' ones (pull it up when you set up, pull it down when you've finished) - excellent value !!

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Ian

A man with obvious good taste, having the same sound system and the newer version of my mixer:thumbs_up

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Ian

A man with obvious good taste, having the same sound system and the newer version of my mixer:thumbs_up

You're too kind !!! :embarasse :beer:

(PS - have a look at my comment about the case)

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Not if you get the right kind of case, Daz. I've recently got one of the 'ratched' ones (pull it up when you set up, pull it down when you've finished) - excellent value !!

Don't talk to me about cases!!

Actally, I mentioned in another post I've just downsized my case to a KamKase as I like the DAC-2 to be on the upright rather than slanted.

I did look at the kind of case you were talking about, but they weren't to my taste. :sad:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Another mixer that I've hard a lot about on forums is this (http://www.rs100.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=63)

A budget mixer, but apparantly very good and with the added addition of USB connections included.

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Don't talk to me about cases!!

Actally, I mentioned in another post I've just downsized my case to a KamKase as I like the DAC-2 to be on the upright rather than slanted.

I did look at the kind of case you were talking about, but they weren't to my taste. :sad:

Each to their own, matey. I prefer it the other way round with the CD control unit and mixer on the slant (haven't gone down the PC line).

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Each to their own, matey. I prefer it the other way round with the CD control unit and mixer on the slant.

To be fair, I think a lot of DJs do it that way, and I have tried it but couldn't get used to it, especially with the controller nearer the bottom end of the case - I kept touching the jog wheels whilst moving the faders and pressing buttons when I wasn't supposed to be... :omg:

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:05 PM
To be fair, I think a lot of DJs do it that way, and I have tried it but couldn't get used to it, especially with the controller nearer the bottom end of the case - I kept touching the jog wheels whilst moving the faders and pressing buttons when I wasn't supposed to be... :omg:
Well if you will lean on it while you're using it! :teeth:

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:07 PM

Daz - I've tried it your way and kept doing what your're doing to the mixer !!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Daz - I've tried it your way and kept doing what your're doing to the mixer !!!!!

Ah, but if the controller is on the upright, you shouldn't need to touch the mixer until you need to use the faders....

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Ah, but if the controller is on the upright, you shouldn't need to touch the mixer until you need to use the faders....

It's not my fingers I'm worried about, it's my arms as I tended to lean on the mixer.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 03:18 PM
It's not my fingers I'm worried about, it's my arms as I tended to lean on the mixer.
Well if you will lean on it while you're using it! :teeth:
Ahem! :teeth:

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 04:12 PM
It's not my fault I've got big fingers and arms !!!!

Shaun
21-06-2006, 04:16 PM
I've got a DN-X400 which is the smaller brother and I think it's alright.

The mixer is slightly cramped if you have big fingers and runs quite warm, but is well set out and sound quality is reasonably good. The faders are quite smooth and there's not much play on them.

I have the same mixer.

The second mic input is also on the back...which is fairly useless since I've got it all rack-cased.

Nice sound quality though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I have the same mixer.

The second mic input is also on the back...which is fairly useless since I've got it all rack-cased.

Nice sound quality though.

What I've done is use a 1U banking plate with mic inputs and put that just under the mixer in the case, so that I can use both if need be.

Although one mic channel hasn't got separate eq, so would only be good for a quick speech or as an emergency.

Shaun
21-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Good idea Darren

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Blanking plate I meant - doh!

Shaun
21-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I knew what you meant :D

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 04:24 PM
What I've done is use a 1U banking plate with mic inputs and put that just under the mixer in the case, so that I can use both if need be.
It's all about the money with you isn't it? :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
21-06-2006, 04:26 PM
It's not my fault I've got big fingers and arms !!!!
You know what they say about..... No, no, no, mustn't..... this site can be viewed by minors :omg:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 04:27 PM
You know what they say about..... No, no, no, mustn't..... this site can be viewed by minors :omg:

Big gloves and big shirts? :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
21-06-2006, 04:29 PM
That was it! :teeth:

Anyway - apologies for going off-topic :embarasse :embarasse

A1DL
21-06-2006, 04:31 PM
The Denon DN-X800 is overall a nice mixer and the auto start & recue features work very well in conjunction with the DND9000 twin CD

Not the quietest of mixers though, prefer the CXM with a big FOH but the Denon is still a nice bit of kit

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Although one mic channel hasn't got separate eq, so would only be good for a quick speech or as an emergency.

This seems to be a trait with Denon mixers (mic inputs & power switch on the rear) but, as we have said in various threads on this post, there are ways around it (banking/blanking plates, different flight cases, etc).

But I go back to the main point of this thread - mixer sound quality depends on a number of different considerations with, I would suggest, cost being towards the top. There are a number of different mixers that I would have liked to have had but £££££'s dictated.

A1DL
21-06-2006, 05:34 PM
But I go back to the main point of this thread - mixer sound quality depends on a number of different considerations with, I would suggest, cost being towards the top. There are a number of different mixers that I would have liked to have had but £££££'s dictated.

Not being a techie, but my understanding is that the power supply plays a big part in this. The CXM has a power supply that outputs three separate power feeds for different components of the mixer, this virtually eliminates all noise and you don't get those annoying pops on the headphone amp when selecting different channel cues etc

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Not being a techie, but my understanding is that the power supply plays a big part in this. The CXM has a power supply that outputs three separate power feeds for different components of the mixer, this virtually eliminates all noise and you don't get those annoying pops on the headphone amp when selecting different channel cues etc

Me neither, but you make an interesting point. Do you mean seperate power supplies (similar to those used in the past by Citronic - the only ones that I can relate to with seperate power 'blocks') ?

A1DL
21-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Me neither, but you make an interesting point. Do you mean seperate power supplies (similar to those used in the past by Citronic - the only ones that I can relate to with seperate power 'blocks') ?

one power supply with three separate outputs, at different voltages to the best of my knowledge. the power supply is a big bugger!

there is an RS232 style connector from the PSU to the desk