PDA

View Full Version : Traktor LE v RPM

Daryll
17-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I forgot to add Ultramixer pro :)

I have a new toy , a Denon HC-4500 ,( thanks to dh140770 Dave ) the bundled software is Traktor LE , I also purchased RPM (http://www.gizmolabs.net/)from gizmo labs.
All three work very well , I have been using the ultramixer software for some time , nothing wrong , but there are a few small niggles .
so out of the other two , have you any views ,good/bad.

Daryll

simonp
17-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Traktor LE is ok as far as a 'free' bundled package goes, but it is pretty limited. If you want to get the full experience upgrade to Traktor Duo or even better Traktor Pro.

I've no experience of RPM, it looks basic, but at that price I'm not entirely surprised.

Daryll
17-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry , I not sure what you mean by basic ?
what difference is there between LE and Duo , unless your using their own hardware.

I seldom mix , and rarely use loops , basic to me is using 2 x winamp and the winamp crossfader

RPM is much the same , I was interested if anyone uses the software in a live set ,and how it preformed/use of use :D :D

Daryll

simonp
17-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry , I not sure what you mean by basic ?
what difference is there between LE and Duo , unless your using their own hardware.

I seldom mix , and rarely use loops , basic to me is using 2 x winamp and the winamp crossfader

It's simply there are more features with DUO (it's basically the next step up from LE) - Specs are here (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-duo/?page=361)

But if you seldom mix, don't bother stick to LE - It will no doubt serve your purpose very well - traktor is certainly the best DJ Software out there (that's not me, it's simply been consistantly voted the best for a few years now)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 03:48 PM
traktor is certainly the best DJ Software out there (that's not me, it's simply been consistantly voted the best for a few years now)

Voted for by who?

I should imagine there are a few hundred thousand VDJ and OTS users that might disagree with that.

MagicMusic
17-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Traktor is widely accepted within the audio Industry as the leading software with Serato a close second.

My opinion is that Traktor Le is too limited but you say you don't want to use any of the advanced features so it should be fine.

If all you want to do is press start / stop then I don't think it matters what software you use as long as it has a reputation for being reliable.

I don't see the attraction in OTS - a horrible programme in my opinion, I thought VDJ was crap too but its all about needs and preferences.

EDIT: Traktor comes with ringing endorsements from some of the biggest Dj's on the planet and won 'Best DJ Software' category at the DJ Mag awards.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Traktor is widely accepted within the audio Industry as the leading software with Serato a close second.

What are you classing as the audio industry and I'd still like to know where people get these facts from!

It doesn't bother me which is classed as the 'leading' software, but I do wonder where people get these facts and figures from!

Daryll
17-02-2010, 04:17 PM
It's simply there are more features with DUO (it's basically the next step up from LE) - Specs are here (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-duo/?page=361)

Thanks for the link :D ,IMHO I dont think I would use the more advanced features.............yet

My opinion is that Traktor Le is too limited but you say you don't want to use any of the advanced features so it should be fine.

If all you want to do is press start / stop then I don't think it matters what software you use as long as it has a reputation for being reliable.

Agreed , but even the LE version has some features beyond start/stop :D

I don't see the attraction in OTS - a horrible programme in my opinion, I thought VDJ was crap too but its all about needs and preferences.
Agree again , its horses for courses , one of the main reasons for looking for a change is a little bug in Ultramixer , I`ll explain ,say the gig is going well and the clients seem to like , say 80`s disco , so I will load up 3 or 4 tracks on each of the ultramixer decks , now logic says that if you start playing from deck A , the following should happen.
Deck A-Track1...Deck B-track 2...Deck A-Track 3 , etc etc , however after Deck A has finished , Deck B starts and deck A should load track 3 , but sometimes track 3 will disappear and track 5 will load :Censored: this is not reliable enough for me , hence the LE v RPM thread.

EDIT:
Traktor comes with ringing endorsements from some of the biggest Dj's on the planet.

While that may be true , and as Darren has said , there are lots of DJ`s both here and in the vast depths of the country who use VDJ , OTS , and even Sam party DJ ( ok not many of those :D ).

At this precise moment in time RPM seems the better package , but its early days.

cheers

Daryll

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 04:30 PM
EDIT: Traktor comes with ringing endorsements from some of the biggest Dj's on the planet and won 'Best DJ Software' category at the DJ Mag awards.

Which doesn't really mean it is 'widely accepted' as the best software then really. :)

Corabar Steve
17-02-2010, 04:33 PM
but I do wonder where people get these facts and figures from!
Obviously not DJs on the forums, because you don't see Traktor mentioned half as much as VDJ & OTS

MagicMusic
17-02-2010, 04:35 PM
What are you classing as the audio industry

I mean the audio industry - I don't know how else to explain it.

Maybe 'digital audio' better describes what I mean. Its an area I'm keen on on, I'm still in university education studying 'Commercial Music'

When I post I am offering an honest, genuine opinion based on years of reading and learning. I find it somewhat insulting that you seem to be suggesting that sources should be used.

You are clearly a very experienced and learned guy - I don't question what you post, I take it on board and compare it with other opinions - why should myself or Simon P have to justify ourselves?

I have been lucky enough since returning to education to work with and be taught by some big names in the music industry. From these people I have learned that there are accepted norms regarding software for certain applications and in all honesty Traktor and Serato are the only 2 dedicated DJ programmes most of these people would consider.

I'm just speaking from my experience, my opinion based on what I have discussed and learned from others, some with significant stature.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I mean the audio industry - I don't know how else to explain it.

Maybe 'digital audio' better describes what I mean. Its an area I'm keen on on, I'm still in university education studying 'Commercial Music'

When I post I am offering an honest, genuine opinion based on years of reading and learning. I find it somewhat insulting that you seem to be suggesting that sources should be used.

You are clearly a very experienced and learned guy - I don't question what you post, I take it on board and compare it with other opinions - why should myself or Simon P have to justify ourselves?

I have been lucky enough since returning to education to work with and be taught by some big names in the music industry. From these people I have learned that there are accepted norms regarding software for certain applications and in all honesty Trakator and Serato are the only 2 dedicated DJ programmes most of these people would consider.

I'm just speaking from my experience, my opinion based on what I have discussed and learned from others, some with significant stature.

I am asking you to justify yourself as this is a forum for discussion and if someone posts something without facts and figures, then I have a right to question it.

This is a forum for mobile discos and DJs - sometimes people forget that.

Just because some of the 'bigger' names in the 'industry' (mobile or club??) use it, does not automatically mean it's industry standard or the most popular choice.

Why am I insulting you because I am asking for a source? What rubbish.

Lastly, you are at University studying commercial music and yet you don't know how to explain the audio industry? I don't really understand that tbh.

MagicMusic
17-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Jdoes not automatically mean it's industry standard or the most popular choice.

So particular piece of software is the best because its the most popular?

In the recording industry there are accepted norms Pro Tools and Cubase at the top for recording, Logic for serious electronic producers then programmes like Reason and FL Studio.

There is a general acceptance that each piece of software has its own particular specialty much the same as DJ software.

There appears to be a general rule that if a piece of software / hardware (the CDJ2000 thread) has been targetted at the club market then scorn shall be poured and the product is instantly deemed as not suitable.

I didn't state anything that needed to be backed up with anything other than my own knowledge.

Your final comment can only be deemed as trolling.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 05:06 PM
So particular piece of software is the best because its the most popular?

In the recording industry there are accepted norms Pro Tools and Cubase at the top for recording, Logic for serious electronic producers then programmes like Reason and FL Studio.

There is a general acceptance that each piece of software has its own particular specialty much the same as DJ software.

There appears to be a general rule that if a piece of software / hardware (the CDJ2000 thread) has been targetted at the club market then scorn shall be poured and the product is instantly deemed as not suitable.

I didn't state anything that needed to be backed up with anything other than my own knowledge.

Your final comment can only be deemed as trolling.

Incorrect. You said you are studying commercial music and don't know how to explain the audio industry, which doesn't make sense to me. How is that trolling?

I will repeat this a forum for the mobile industy and DJs, not the recording industry, which is why your comments don't ring true to me on this forum.

simonp
17-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I should imagine there are a few hundred thousand VDJ and OTS users that might disagree with that.

I'm sure there are Darren, just like there will be many people who disagree with the winners in polls and awards - i.e. I didn't agree with the best band award at last nights Brits, nor did I agree with the Spice Girls winning best performance of the last 30 years!!!! I digress, but you get my point.

Voted for by who?

It depends on whose sponsored each award I suppose, some are voted for by the public and some will be voted for by people within the industry - experts if you will. This year alone Traktor has beaten Ableton, Serato, Torq, Mixmeister (Note VDJ doesn't even get in the running) to the DJ Mag Tech Awards. It's also been voted best DJ Software by;
Future Music UK
Computer Music
Club World Awards
IDMA (International Dance Music Awards)
Raveline (Sorry I don't know who it/they are/is)
Beatportal
gigcrate.com

And that was without looking too hard.

I've personally got Traktor Pro, Serato, Mixmeister & Ableton, and can honestly say IMO Traktor is the best DJ Software out of the lost of them (certainly for the way and style that I DJ).

The original OP was asking for opinion on the certain software and maybe I should have just stuck to that :lol: Sorry if I've muddied the waters

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 05:14 PM
It depends on whose sponsored each award I suppose, some are voted for by the public and some will be voted for by people within the industry - experts if you will. This year alone Traktor has beaten Ableton, Serato, Torq, Mixmeister (Note VDJ doesn't even get in the running) to the DJ Mag Tech Awards. It's also been voted best DJ Software by;
Future Music UK
Computer Music
Club World Awards
IDMA (International Dance Music Awards)
Raveline (Sorry I don't know who it/they are/is)
Beatportal
gigcrate.com

And that was without looking too hard.

Is DJ Tech a magazine for the mobile DJ then?

simonp
17-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Is DJ Tech a magazine for the mobile DJ then?

It's not DJ Tech it's DJ Magazine Technical Awards and is aimed at all DJ's, so why not - mobile DJ's use traktor just like club DJ's - it's not exclusive

MagicMusic
17-02-2010, 05:21 PM
My definition of the 'Audio industry' would be that it is an umbrella term used to describe the technical side of the music industry - recording pro's, studio's, DJ's, engineers, technicians etc.

My original post was offering my opinion on a DJ product.

My analogy with software used in the recording industry is simply that, an anology and it doesnt need to ring true because of that. It is a valid and very similar comparison.

I was using it to highlight that there are many different options - some with particular specialities just like DJ software.

Just because a piece of DJ software is designed for the club DJ doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered for mobile use, on the contrary in my opinion.

And there's no need to repeat that it is a mobile forum for DJ's because that is the only reason I joined in the first place.

Daryll
17-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Gentlemen please :D

This is getting way out of my league , I take it that no one has had a play with RPM ,and comparing it with Traktor , which is what the topic is about :confused:

Daryll

MagicMusic
17-02-2010, 05:29 PM

This is getting way out of my league , I take it that no one has had a play with RPM ,and comparing it with Traktor , which is what the topic is about :confused:

Daryll

The god's honest truth is that I haven't heard of RPM mate. In my opinion you won't go wrong with the Le version of Traktor :)

simonp
17-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Daryll

No mate, I can't compare it to RPM, I can to most of the rest (including VDJ) but not RPM - I think my opinion is well documented ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 05:34 PM
And there's no need to repeat that it is a mobile forum for DJ's

Well there is, because I don't think your comparisons and opinions are really aimed at our market in this forum.

MagicMusic
17-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Well there is, because I don't think your comparisons and opinions are really aimed at our market in this forum.

A comparison is a comparison. There is a very close similarity between the two whether you think it is aimed at the market for the forum or not. And that particular post was aimed at you all I did originally was offer my opinion on one piece of software.

You clearly have beef with anything that isn't 100% targeted at the mobile market.

Do you mean my opinions in general or in this thread? Whatever, I don't see how you can come to that conclusion merely because I referenced a comparison outwith the mobile industry.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-02-2010, 06:13 PM
You clearly have beef with anything that isn't 100% targeted at the mobile market.

Not a beef, I just like to try and keep things relevant to this forum.

It is a good resource for DJs, new and experienced and I like clearly defined information and sources for it. If I feel that the information is a bit like "Well my mate says it is, so it must be true" (extreme example), then I try and find out where the facts are coming from.

I did not to set out to disbelieve you or anyone else, merely to find out where the info comes from.

Adam_F
17-02-2010, 11:51 PM
The LE stands for Light Edition, so your not getting all the benefits from the software. I'd class it more of a trial edition than the real deal.

A comparison chart can be seen here http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-le/?page=662

WWDJ
18-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Not tried RPM (it looks hideoous by the way), but I have been trialing traktor for a couple of months now and did a full gig with it a couple of weeks ago.

Once you get your head around how it works, it's actually very good. You can simply crossfade mix or let it help you with syncing and beatmatching, whilst still being in control of the mix. Setting cue points upfront is a god send, as you can DJ without headphones, as you know the track is in the right place. Playlists help you setup a set for a party or just lump songs that work together into a list.

Traktor Duo Upgrade from LE is going to cost you about £50. Pro Upgrade about £100. The comparision is already linked to above. Note that LE does NOT have the useful 'Cruise' feature which is great for the start of the night, buffets, toilet visits etc.

simonp
18-02-2010, 09:15 AM
. Setting cue points upfront is a god send, as you can DJ without headphones, as you know the track is in the right place.

I did a video on that a couple of weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLj2jVBt_8

p.s. I do use headphones when working :p

DazzyD
18-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I use a variety of software for different purposes and I do like using Traktor Pro (even though a lot of the features are way above my head) as I like the way I can mix pretty good on it in a live environment. Other software (such as VDJ which I use for karaoke nights) doesn't give me such fine control.

In all honesty, I've never heard of RPM (I use BPM on the XP systems from time to time) and I've never heard of Gizmo Labs either. But, on the belief that you get what you pay for, I can't see a £40 application providing anywhere near the functionality that I want from a DJing package. However, I'm open-minded so would be happy to be convinced otherwised!!

sweetie
18-02-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm interested in giving RPM a shot instead of VDj with my HerculesRMX. I like this line from the blurb - "Once you have RPM, you'll experience one of the nicest music libraries in the market." :) Nicest!

Daryll
18-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok , it seems that many have not herd of RPM.
Basicly RPM is PCDJ Reflex , taken to the next level , developed by the same guys , RPM takes over where Reflex left off , so there's some pedigree there , at the moment it is cheap , but dont hold your breath , the price will increase,
It has favourable reviews over at the Denon forums.

not sure if I am allowed to link to another forum , please delete if it is against the rules.

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=11776&rb_v=viewtopic

Daryll

DazzyD
18-02-2010, 08:01 PM
After Daryll's comments, I've decided to download the demo and give it a try. What have I got to lose?

Daryll
18-02-2010, 08:14 PM
only time mate , only time.

But , it did take 11 hours to scan my entire collection , it`s a fully working demo ,but turns off after an hour :Censored: , on restart it picks up from where it left off.

The support forums are good , all the developers are there at various times to answer questions , and to implement changes in future releases :D
so in a nut shell , its a revamp of an existing product , that is being developed in conjunction with working DJ`s , to me , that's a winning formula

Daryll

DazzyD
18-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree with the time comment. I've been on half an hour now and it's only scanned 100 tracks in to it's library.

I'd have preferred not to have to assess every track as it's added to the library. Other software do this in the background or even waits until you load the track in to a player before analysing it. This would have suited me better as I have a fairly large library to load in.

Daryll
18-02-2010, 08:33 PM
You can run the software as is , it will continue scanning in the background , but you`ll only have the tracks it has already scanned to try out .
Luckily you only have to do this once :D
It really comes into its own with the HC-4500.

Daryll

DazzyD
18-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Had major problems with tracks jumping and stuttering when trying to play them while the library tracks were being analysed.

However, in the Preferences, you can turn this feature off which has meant that tracks are loaded much faster and it appears to be playing fine now. However, the graphics are horrendously jerky. Music is smooth, though.

The trial continues...

A1DL
18-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm surprised there, I wrongly believed Serato was the most popular by a long way. DJs often ask for a Serato hook up but I don't believe I've ever seen Traktor.

On the basis Traktor won't allow me onto their website (as an IE6 outcast), tell me Charlie - do you hook up to the CDJs in the same way as Serato, i.e. with a dedicated piece of hardware?

Googling shows Traktor Pro being a lot cheaper than SSL, so I'm wondering if there is no hardware interface, other than straight from the DJ's laptop sound cards, in which case I probably wouldn't have noticed, as what's on their screens is gobbledegook to this old tech... :) ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
18-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm surprised there, I wrongly believed Serato was the most popular by a long way. DJs often ask for a Serato hook up but I don't believe I've ever seen Traktor.

On the basis Traktor won't allow me onto their website (as an IE6 outcast), tell me Charlie - do you hook up to the CDJs in the same way as Serato, i.e. with a dedicated piece of hardware?

Googling shows Traktor Pro being a lot cheaper than SSL, so I'm wondering if there is no hardware interface, other than straight from the DJ's laptop sound cards, in which case I probably wouldn't have noticed, as what's on their screens is gobbledegook to this old tech... :) ;)

Tone, whilst i personally prefer SSL. A good friend of mine, who also happens to be signed to Tidy Trax and is sponsored by Traktor :D :D , uses Pro with a A&H Zone 2D and another bit of kit which i can never remember, as midi controllers, and what he does with it is far more technically superior than SSL could ever manage right now, and he gest some nifty mixes, sounds very easily when utilising their 4 deck configuration.

It all depends on the chosen way of playing out, most djs are still getting to grips with DVS, let alone full midi control capability in my opinion.

WWDJ
19-02-2010, 06:45 AM

Traktor also offer Traktor Scratch Pro, which uses a timecoded system in a similar manner to SSL. This uses the audio card usually an Audio 8DJ to route the timecoded info back to the laptop and play it out. This option is about the same price as Serato.

Just pop the timecode into the CDJ's and you are away.

Incidently CDJ400, 900 and 2000 are supported as HID controllers to Traktor, although I'm not sure this really works for a club environment with DJ's in and out all the time, but works for mobile dj's and I know SimonP uses the CDJ400s as a controller to Traktor Pro (i.e non timecoded I believe)

Javlingames
19-02-2010, 09:56 AM
You can use serato with CDJ400's too. Serato is now midi enabled and they have released their new dedicated piece of hardware The SL3. Traktor have more bells and whistles than serato but most dj's i know jumped ship from traktor to serato because serato is simple and it works. Traktor is known for crashes and its very poor customer service. after sales care. I would say serato is the industry standard but i would because i use it!! You find alot of clubs now have the serato hardware permanantly installed.

simonp
19-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I know SimonP uses the CDJ400s as a controller to Traktor Pro (i.e non timecoded I believe)

That's correct - also if it's a pub/club gig (and the venue dosen't have a MIDI controller/CDJ) I take along an Numark Omni Controller which can simply plug into the venues mixer, straight into Traktor and away you go - if push came to shove you could bypass a venues mixer with the Omni Controller and have it set to Traktors internal mixer.

I will admit as someone else has said, the customer support by Native Instruments is pretty shocking.