PDA

View Full Version : DMX Dumb!

NeilP
21-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Order the lights, and have started to look at how to control them. The Super Leos and Super Scimatars are both S2L and DMX, whilst the Baby Famlcon and Double Crystals are S2L only.

I have been looking at DMX controllers etc as i feel that this is the way to go (and eventually ditch the Baby Falcon and Double Crystals - no loss really!) but am getting really confused to how DMX actually works, and what you can do with it.

H-E-L-P!!! :sad: :omg:

Can anyone explain it to me or point me in the direction of a website that will explain it to me (in simple English!!) as i think i am confusing the heck out of myself!! :teeth:

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Here's a good start...

http://www.dmx512.com/web/light/dmx512/index.htm

Jamie

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 08:35 PM
They have also recently opened a forum on there dedicated to questions about DMX....

NeilP
21-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks Jamie,

Had a quick read through (as it is about the tech side of DMX), had a look at the all the posts in the new forum as well - all 2 of them!!

BUT....... How do you then control the lights and to what extent can you control the lights. Some of the controllers seem to be very small handheld things whilst others have joysticks and allsorts, i have also seen computer programs for DMX control.

Is it simply that the small handheld things will let you do the basics (whatever that is!?), the more whizzy controllers lets you do more (control direction, speed etc) and the computer programs allows you to organise a complete light show.

Or something else....!!!! :teeth:

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Ok, the small handheld controllers will be designed specifically to run certain lighting i.e. the MC Showtime unit is designed to run the MX and CX range from Martin and no other lighting.

The bigger controllers with the joysticks will allow you to run any lighting that is controllable by DMX. You can control movement, colour, gobo etc. Will usually take a lot of time to program a good light show, especially if you are using a few different types of lighting effect.

Some of the PC based software is good (i use LightJockey myself, great bit of kit) as you can quickly select fixtures and change colour, gobo etc.

NeilP
21-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Jamie,

Your a star. Thanks - total Newbie crossed with brain failure!

Shaun
21-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Programming DMX light-shows can be both a fun and perplexing experience. I've seen me spend the whole evening programming to get scenes that last a minute or so. I've lost count of the amount of actual hours I've spent working towards nice scenes.

I'm now looking at investing in a pc software dmx control so I can make scenes on the fly and be able to make adjustments dependant on the logistics of the facilities I'm booked to play at.