PDA

View Full Version : Laptop v desktop

Daryll
24-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Now , I`me sorry for being hypercritical , I had posted topics on why have a high spec machine , and Traktor v RPM , the second one is easier , RPM.
However RPM need`s 2gig ram to run , my Toshiba laptop , has 512 meg , with a max of 1 gig.
I was thinking about a desktop PC , or to be more precise.

Case (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Cases/Cases/E-CUTE910BLACK.html)

Motherboard (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Motherboards/AMDAM3AMDChipsetMotherboards/90-MIB7Z0-G0EAY00Z.html)

Memory (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Memory-PCAndLaptop/DDR2-PC2-6400/800MHz/Novatech/RAM-804GK.html)

Hard drives , I already have.
Your suggestions are welcome.

Daryll

Twinspin
24-02-2010, 04:48 PM
If it was me... going down a pc route id buy a desktop because personally i think they are more reliable

better and easier to upgrade than a laptop.

OllieJames
24-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I use a desktop for DJing. If it wasn't the one I used for home use too, I would flight case one and have it pre-wired and ready to go.

Charlie Brown
24-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Nahh...Laptop all the way.

Desktops aren't designed to be moved around...and are not robust enough.

You need a DECENT laptop mind..

Daryll
24-02-2010, 05:04 PM
If it was me... going down a pc route id buy a desktop because personally i think they are more reliable

better and easier to upgrade than a laptop.

Well that gives me a bit of scope :Laugh:

Daryll

Twinspin
24-02-2010, 05:07 PM

the trouble with a laptop is they get extremely hot underneath when they have been used for a while.

a desktop would be fine if you cased it properly and leave everything connected inside it. Im sure a few djs on here use desktops. If i had to choose between an internal hardisk and external for disco music id go for an internal SATA drive anyday over a External USB.

so long as you have the right size internal power supply to cope with the hardware inside.

WWDJ
24-02-2010, 05:26 PM
the trouble with a laptop is they get extremely hot underneath when they have been used for a while.

a desktop would be fine if you cased it properly and leave everything connected inside it. Im sure a few djs on here use desktops. If i had to choose between an internal hardisk and external for disco music id go for an internal SATA drive anyday over a External USB.

so long as you have the right size internal power supply to cope with the hardware inside.

Whilst i agree with the External USB comment, I would say go laptop. it will of course cost you more, but setting up is much easier, just open and switch on.

you can buy laptops which have 500gig or even bigger hard drives and some models (usually 17" models) will take 2 disks for even greater capacity or back.

A laptop does get warm yes, depending upon how much heat the processor generates, but if a laptop gets warm enough to shut itself down then there is something wrong with it. It is designed to run for a long time and not shut down when it gets hot.

Daryll. You will of course need a processor with the combination you listed above ....pushing the price up a tad.

Daryll
24-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Daryll. You will of course need a processor with the combination you listed above ....pushing the price up a tad.

Yes , just realized that :doh: :D :D

Thinking about This one (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Processors/AMDAthlonX2AndX4/AMD/HDZ550WFGIBOX.html)

That still comes in under £250
Daryll

Twinspin
24-02-2010, 05:39 PM
mine doesnt get hot. But ive known it to happen to other laptops, Not mine but i dont use mine for music

thats why i thought id bring it up. On a desktop route id put the computer into a server case and with the mixer and monitor all built into the flightcase so it would only need plugging in and connecting the leads from the mixer to the amplifier/speakers
its the upgrading as well its just easier to upgrade a desktop than it is to upgrade a laptop and id say it was cheaper too.

for cost effectiveness you could build a better more powerful desktop than what you would get in a laptop for the same price if you get a rackmount server case you could even put your computer into the rackmount inside your flightcase.

WWDJ
24-02-2010, 05:40 PM
cough ... laptop all the way.
How about a Dell Studio 15 (with illuminated keyboard option - useful in the dark) or a Dell XPS (illuminated as standard)
Put your Tosh on backup duties with Media Player and a bucket load of tunes to get you out of trouble.

Job done :)

On a desktop route id put the computer into a server case and with the mixer and monitor all built into the flightcase so it would only need plugging in and connecting the leads from the mixer to the amplifier/speakers
its the upgrading as well its just easier to upgrade a desktop than it is to upgrade a laptop and id say it was cheaper too.

and of course the screen. mouse and keyboard to plug in to. I'll give you that desktops are easier to upgrade, but the common upgrades of memory and disk on a laptop are pretty simple too nowadays.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Why would you need to upgrade for? If it's a machine for the playback of music and it works with your choice of software, then why would you need to change?

Twinspin
24-02-2010, 06:13 PM
If your using a computer for just audio tracks... Then the only possible upgrade in the future might be a bigger hardisk (if the drive currently in there isnt big enough) to expand your music collection

Soundcards (Ok lets face it... its not what people would upgrade unless they want to improve the sound quality) but generally most people use a good quality soundcard from the off... so an upgrade isnt necessary for most people.

If your going to be running video then thats where a larger processor and new motherboard and ram and a good video card would come in and also a larger hardisk.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-02-2010, 06:18 PM
im sure ive seen flightcases that are designed for you to build a desktop style computer into. when i get home leter ill have a dig around my favorites

paull
19-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Desktop in a flightcase