PDA

View Full Version : Door stewards

soundmaster mobile disco
24-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Got a booking from a mother whos daughters 18th birthday is coming up.She was telling me that she was on a tight budget because she had to change venues as the original one that she booked 6 months ago informed her they were double booked.

Any way to the point she was telling me the extra costs that the new venue was charging,ie buffett,function room hire and............................................... .............£160 to pay for 2 door security.

this is because its an 18th birthday,she was telling me that its a family party with only around 20 to 30 youngsters.

Have any of you came across this extra charge to clients before?

I thought it was up to the venue to sort out and pay security.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-02-2010, 05:21 PM
if the venue deems it necesssary above reasonable operations they can employ extra door supervisors and push the cost to the client. it seems overkill in this instance though.

gaza
24-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Got a booking from a mother whos daughters 18th birthday is coming up.She was telling me that she was on a tight budget because she had to change venues as the original one that she booked 6 months ago informed her they were double booked.

Any way to the point she was telling me the extra costs that the new venue was charging,ie buffett,function room hire and............................................... .............£160 to pay for 2 door security.

this is because its an 18th birthday,she was telling me that its a family party with only around 20 to 30 youngsters.

Many venue's will only have 18th's if the client arranges the door staff and many venue's will not have 18th's at all.

STEVE HANLEY
24-02-2010, 06:59 PM

I think because the venue deem door staff to be required cos it's an 18th tells you they might expect trouble.

These are the parties above all others IMO where it could all kick off once the kids have had more than 3 of there favourite tipple

Just keep a close eye on your gear;) ;)

MagicMusic
24-02-2010, 07:02 PM
It seems a bit unreasonable that there would need to be 2 door staff for so few people however I have been quoted £100 per steward in the past.

Finding a venue for an 18th is a nightmare these days.

NKR
24-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I think because the venue deem door staff to be required cos it's an 18th tells you they might expect trouble.

These are the parties above all others IMO where it could all kick off once the kids have had more than 3 of there favourite tipple

I Don't do 18th's or 21st's unless they are a girls do and there will be a number of dads and other big chaps on hand. Its my Rider and I stick to it. Any issues it's straight off.

Lads 18th's and 21st's are bloody awful from experience and can end with trouble. It would appear many venues now feel the same.

Shaun
24-02-2010, 08:28 PM
if the venue deems it necesssary above reasonable operations they can employ extra door supervisors and push the cost to the client. it seems overkill in this instance though.

From the experiences I've had with 18ths, it doesn't seem like overkill at all. In fact, I know of only 1 or 2 venues that allow 18ths these days due to the trouble they bring.

Vectis
24-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Can't believe this has been alive for so long without anyone mentioning it.

So I'm going to :p

As well as Door Stewards, presumably they'll also have Bar Stewards on duty? :D :D :D :D

Back on topic after my little quip, this is fairly standard practice even in these parts. Bouncers (as they hate being called) have to work in pairs unless there's CCTV monitoring their activities, or so I was told in a discussion with a security consultant at an event last year.

Shaun
24-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Martin, I've ordered you a taxi. :d

mike8863
24-02-2010, 10:20 PM
SIA door supervisors can command up to £20 an hour in certain places. So no suprise there. But if they are there then surely that means the night should go better than if they weren't there, or have you seen different door supervisors than i have???;) ;)

StarZSoundS
24-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Done scores of 18/21 year old parties...never any hint of trouble??:confused:

Did a Romany Wedding tho....never,ever again!!

Corabar Steve
24-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Romany or traveller?

StarZSoundS
25-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Romany or traveller?

Same thing......I think!!

Big hair.....short skirts.....heavy make-up.......lots of skin on show!!:D :D :D

And thats just the fellas!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Steve
25-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Not the same thing at all.

Travellers may be Romany, Romany may be Travellers, not all travellers are Romany, not all Romany are Travellers.

Most (although by no means all) "Travellers" are of Irish descent & are what could be termed Pikey, Tinker, Gypsy / Gippo etc. Although the term Gypsy more accurately refers to people of the Romany / Romani extraction.

Romanies originate in central / eastern Europe, in particular the Balkans (Although there is some evidence to suggest they originate further south (India)) As a consequence they tend to be of a darker (natural) skin tone than most Travellers.

Romanies get quite offended if you refer to Pikey type Travellers as Romany

thex-faders
25-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I've got three 18ths lined up in march and don't expect any problems at all. Never had any from 18ths or 21st birthdays. One of them is in a house and the other two are at respected venues which provide their own security but I dont expect any trouble at all.

I think venues are right in either asking the client to provide a door person, or have a guestlist for example as they are trying to protect their own premisis but some of the charges do seem a bit out of hand!

Does help having two of us behind the decks mind so we can fight them off IF anything does happen ... which it hasnt in like 6 years. Not much experiance I know but still a good run so far :)

Tom

DazzyD
25-02-2010, 01:13 PM
If it's the venue's policy then it's the venue's policy. Simple as that.

This isn't my experience at all. I've seen far more trouble at weddings than any other function. And the worst trouble at that.

Done scores of 18/21 year old parties...never any hint of trouble??:confused:

Did a Romany Wedding tho....never,ever again!!

Yep!

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-02-2010, 01:39 PM
This isn't my experience at all. I've seen far more trouble at weddings than any other function. And the worst trouble at that.

Maybe not your experience, but it must be the experience of a lot of venues as there are lots that won't even entertain 18th birthdays now.

Not sure I've even heard of a venue not wanting weddings though.

rob1963
25-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I've seen far more trouble at weddings than any other function.

I'd wager you're the only person on the forum who can say that.

NKR
25-02-2010, 02:25 PM

I had about five shipped off in two police transits at the end of one wedding two years ago.

It was mostly outside, but some good claret splatters in the reception area of Mitton Hall.

They were amateur footballers and someone through a mega wobbler when one of the lads turned back up in the reception room with two ladies who's hair wasn't as straight as before (good lad) - one was one of the other chaps girlfriends (oops). So it appears football has the same issues even at grass routes.

Got the low down after we packed down as Kev knew the chap who's wedding it was. Apparantly most nights they went on ended like that. Nice!

Appart from that one never seen too much. One last year where there was a bit of wedding party fight outside Shaw Hill Country Club, but handbags stuff. We only knew it happened as all the blokes had gone and just ladies left in the room.

DazzyD
25-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe not your experience, but it must be the experience of a lot of venues as there are lots that won't even entertain 18th birthdays now.

Not sure I've even heard of a venue not wanting weddings though.

Maybe it's because venues can make a lot more profit from wedding functions than they can from 18th/21st parties. Maybe I've just been lucky with 18th/21sts. Maybe it's because I've done a lot more weddings than 18th/21sts. Or maybe it's because I don't take bookings from 18/21 year olds. I insist that they're booked by a parent / older family member.

But I did say it was experience therefore my observations. Everyone has had different experiences in this business so I wasn't expecting everyone agreeing with me.

I dare bet I'm really not that unique.

ppentertainments
25-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I dare bet I'm really not that unique.

Got to back you up there Dazzy. I have never had trouble at 18/21 birthdays (a bit at 16th's and weddings though).

I am quite particular about younger parties though and finding less and less venues accepting these bookings which must say something. Also I price 18/21 the same as a wedding (and yes I do charge more for weddings :p ). Actually have a 21st in saturday, which must be the first in about 6 months.

Will probably be posting on Sunday about 'The trouble last night' :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-02-2010, 08:52 PM
But I did say it was experience therefore my observations. Everyone has had different experiences in this business so I wasn't expecting everyone agreeing with me.

It's not really agreeing or disagreeing in this case. Right or wrong, there are a lot of venues that don't allow 18th 'cos of the possibility of trouble.

That is a fact not an opinion and it's nothing to do with other functions making more money.

DazzyD
25-02-2010, 09:19 PM
It's not really agreeing or disagreeing in this case. Right or wrong, there are a lot of venues that don't allow 18th 'cos of the possibility of trouble.

That is a fact not an opinion and it's nothing to do with other functions making more money.

It's not just venues. either. We've had this before on here and there are a lot of DJs who wouldn't touch these functions either.

My way of thinking is that at any function there is the possibility of trouble. Walking down the street there's the possibility of encountering bother. I can handle myself so am not afraid to take them on. In fact, one of my best ever gigs was an 18th and it was one of the fullest dance-floors I've ever seen outside of the club scene.

But I do accept that some venue's won't entertain 18ths (pardon the pun!). Just a sad fact of life today in my opinion