PDA

View Full Version : PAR CANS - 2 Quick Questions

Megamix
28-02-2010, 06:26 PM
(1) Is a PAR Can 64 (rather than 56) preferable for general use or better only for larger venues?

(2) Is there a good make or are they all fairly similar - e.g. Pro LED, KAM, QTX

Thanks guys/gals

Cj_The_Dj
28-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I use a pair of ledj par 56 cost 55.00 each and there bright enough for 100+ people..

Corabar Entertainment
28-02-2010, 06:45 PM
It might be an idea for you to say what you want to use them for, since 'better' is very subjective: each has it's place.

eg: will you be using on your rig? Do you want to use for uplighting? How much controllability do you require? Do you run full DMX or do you want to use a mini-controller with them? etc

Megamix
28-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Small venues, No DMX (yet), Some controllability, On T-Bar (already have uplighters)

Cj_The_Dj
28-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Small venues, No DMX (yet), Some controllability, On T-Bar (already have uplighters)

Ledj par 56 (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR218457) would be fantastic for small to large venues up to say 150 people. they can run master/slave and sound to light with sensitivity control on the back. you can also get a lil mix (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR315008)

really good these are,

OllieJames
28-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I use the CPC "Pulse" ones, which are the same as the Thomann LED par 56s and they're pretty bright actually. However, they don't run master slave which is a pain in certain aspects. As CJ said, the LEDJ ones are very bright and have the master/slave feature.

Megamix
28-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys very close - LEDJ Lil Mix also looks handy but wondering if DMX is the better option - LEDJ Lil Mix looks nice and simple, may be all I need

Shakermaker Promotions
28-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I can fully recommend the Lil Mix. I use it a lot for Uplighting and also Band Lighting too.

Megamix
28-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Is it a case of LEDJ Lil Mix or DMX or can the two work together? - Reading Vectis' post on the Sigma it would be nice to control that - truth is DMX seems like a lot of faffing about and I'd love to keep things as simple as possible

A1DL
28-02-2010, 10:49 PM
(1) Is a PAR Can 64 (rather than 56) preferable for general use or better only for larger venues?

A PAR64 is an 8" diameter lamp rated to 1,000w whereas a PAR56 is a 7" diameter lamp and rated to 300w. Several different lamp types are available, from wide flood to narrow beam.

64s are more versatile, and you can use 500w lamps. If you haven't got access to proper power, remember 4 No. 1kw 64s will take you into problem territory off a 13a plugtop, unless you program your chases carefully or dim the scenes so as not to pull more than ~3kw across the bar.

(2) Is there a good make or are they all fairly similar

James Thomas Engineering are the industry standard.

Corabar Entertainment
28-02-2010, 10:56 PM
James Thomas Engineering are the industry standard.Yeah.... but which industry, Tony? ;) :p

Chris1984
28-02-2010, 11:06 PM
A PAR64 is an 8" diameter lamp rated to 1,000w whereas a PAR56 is a 7" diameter lamp and rated to 300w. Several different lamp types are available, from wide flood to narrow beam.

64s are more versatile, and you can use 500w lamps. If you haven't got access to proper power, remember 4 No. 1kw 64s will take you into problem territory off a 13a plugtop, unless you program your chases carefully or dim the scenes so as not to pull more than ~3kw across the bar.

James Thomas Engineering are the industry standard.

nail on the head Tony.

I use James Thomas on everything from discos to conferences.
In my opinion there is only one led 'pap' and its the JTE pixel par range - its all i have/use.

flatliners
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
try a equinox micro par bar system small compact

Megamix
01-03-2010, 04:59 PM
All things considered - and all your information has been gratefully received and mulled over - , I'm now considering biting the bullet and paying a bit extra for the PROLIGHT DMX BABY JC1 - don't know if that’s wise, but seems to do so much more with a bit of an investment of time. Somebody convince me and I'll stop procrastinating!!!! :bang:

Cj_The_Dj
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
All things considered - and all your information has been gratefully received and mulled over - , I'm now considering biting the bullet and paying a bit extra for the PROLIGHT DMX BABY JC1 - don't know if that’s wise, but seems to do so much more with a bit of an investment of time. Somebody convince me and I'll stop procrastinating!!!! :bang:

I say the lil mix is more than enough for led par cans...

i like the fact they can run sound to light etc... and with dmx the can not...

what other lights will you be running them with?

Megamix
01-03-2010, 11:15 PM
well a cluster - probably Equinox Sigma plus a couple of old fashioned bulbed (remember them) gobos

Cj_The_Dj
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
well i dont think that dmx is really needed.

tgosoundandlight
10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
i use stair-ville 64s for discos hanging on my speaker stands just below my speakers with a smoke gel on to lessen the light impact on eyes and also for up-lighting. led 56 floor pars are great for lighting drums and also the led par 16s are great for mirror balls.

Woodyo
11-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I have to agree with CJ .Lil mix or the like is definitely the way to go for a few cans . I went down the dmx route , total waste of my time , very time consumimg and frustrating at times in my opinion.The only upside is that I now understand it!
These small controllers are perfect for mood setting , sound to light , dimming and strobing and have built in chases . I think they can run up to 16 cans.

Megamix
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Woody - I decided DMX was nice but I've lived without it so far.
A simple mood setting was a move in the right direction - 2 cans and lil mix both should be with me soon.