PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of these before

mike8863
12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330411765719&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just wondered if anyone had heard of these or can identify their output wattage??

Thanks

A1DL
12-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I can't say I've seen these cabs before, but can confirm their output wattage to be zero, as put simply, loudspeakers do not output watts.

The wattage of a transducer is the INPUT power rating to achieve a specified output in decibels.

mike8863
12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
thanks;)

csg
13-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I can't say I've seen these cabs before, but can confirm their output wattage to be zero, as put simply, loudspeakers do not output watts.

The wattage of a transducer is the INPUT power rating to achieve a specified output in decibels.

Well, more or less

The power rating of a loudspeaker refers to how much power it can handle before the thermal limit of the voice coil is reached, or the physical limitations of the design are reached - which ever is reached first.

Power ratings, both thermal and physical are effected by the box in which the driver is loaded as well as the driver, so you have to treat the whole as a system - by misloading a 500w rms driver, i can easily overload it physically with just 100w of CLEAN power!

It is dangerous to link power input and absolute spl output, as this can be affected by many factors, most noteably power compression which can have a very big influence over a transducers output when running near or at thermal limit.

In my book, the power rating of a lousdpeaker sysrem has one use alone - to allow you to match the speaker to a suitable amplifier.

A far more usefull mesurement is sensitivity, this, in conjunction with the power rating will give you a much more accurate indication of how loud the system will play.

To take two examples, and for simplicity assuming power compression is limited by good design:

an average 15" reflex loaded box with a sensitivity of 99db / 1w / 1m and a power rating of 500w will give you an output of 126 dB@ 1m with rated input

an average 15" horn loaded design with a sensitivity of 105dB /1w / 1m and a power rating of just 250w will give you an output of 129dB @1m

so, the horn will be much louder, for half the power, now it becomes obvious why sensitivity is SO important, but yet no one ever ( rarely) speaks of it....

Totally Plucked
13-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Mike, If my memory serves me correctly these are the same speaker as the Audio Excel group, which were marketed on the design of the old Custom Sound stuff. I think you will find they are either 150 or 200 watts Rms.

If you are on a budget Mike and after a pair of speakers on a budget I have a pair of Audio Intimidation INT - 115 MK2's for sale in fantastic condition (£100 the pair & £20 p&p)

I recently owned a pair of JBL JRX 115's, a pair of Peavey PRO 15 mk2's and for me the AUDIO INTIMIDATION wins hands down :)

Ohh and by the way............Why are they for sale ? mine are not but my neighbour has a pair for sale ! :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, just trying to help out..................Back on topic :sorry:

Excalibur
13-03-2010, 11:27 AM
so, the horn will be much louder, for half the power, now it becomes obvious why sensitivity is SO important, but yet no one ever ( rarely) speaks of it....

You've not read many of Tony A1's posts, have you? ;) :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
13-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I was going to say something similar Peter!

csg: Stick around on this forum, and you'll probably see it mentioned several times a day!
:lol:

csg
13-03-2010, 03:51 PM
well, as im fairly new around here im glad that is the case. Im a long standing member of a pro audio forum, full of pro engineers, but yet it is a subject that often gets overlooked.

Excalibur
13-03-2010, 03:57 PM
well, as im fairly new around here im glad that is the case. Im a long standing member of a pro audio forum, full of pro engineers, but yet it is a subject that often gets overlooked.

Not round here. ;)

"You can't hear watts, I say you can't hear watts" :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K
13-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Probably not in the Blue room--are you member already--if not join you will be at home;)