PDA

View Full Version : Numark HDmix

Reminisce disco
16-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

I'm contemplating selling my playout system to get myself one of these, however , before I do, I just wondered if anyone currently uses one? and what experiences they have had of it.
Thanks in advance,

Charlie Brown
16-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I have literally just brought the Numark DDS 80 (which is exactly the same minus the mixer)

It's a cracking little toy. Takes a bit of time to load - but the internal hard-rive allows you to store all your tunes. You can connect it to your laptop too. Loads of ports for iPods, pen drives, hard drives.

The large colour screen (HD) is a beauty to work with (easier than the Dennon I think) The pitch and scratch modes all work surprisingly well.

You can also rip CD's from it's internal CD direct to the hardrive.

Reminisce disco
16-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I have literally just brought the Numark DDS 80 (which is exactly the same minus the mixer)

It's a cracking little toy. Takes a bit of time to load - but the internal hard-rive allows you to store all your tunes. You can connect it to your laptop too. Loads of ports for iPods, pen drives, hard drives.

The large colour screen (HD) is a beauty to work with (easier than the Dennon I think) The pitch and scratch modes all work surprisingly well.

You can also rip CD's from it's internal CD direct to the hardrive.

Hi Charlie, i've looked at the DDS as well and quite like the idea of it. However i like the way the hd mix is "all in one" so to speak.

Charlie Brown
16-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah yeah, exactly, that's the beauty of it. I saw a brand new (not used xmas present) go on eBay for £320 (that was the DDS 80)

It's up to you but overall I would recommend the unit. :approve:

flatliners
17-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi Charlie, i've looked at the DDS as well and quite like the idea of it. However i like the way the hd mix is "all in one" so to speak.

what happens if the mixer on the hdmix goes down you have to send the whole thing away to be repaired but if you have seperates then only one thing has to be sent

DJ Jules
17-03-2010, 07:40 AM
However i like the way the hd mix is "all in one" so to speak.

There's something about the HDMix which make me nervous... I've seen a number of reviews which slate the mixer component of the deck (lots of electrical noise from the CPU/HDD unit which ends up coming out of your speakers, and faders not fading to nothing - i.e. you can still hear the track you're cueing up coming out of the speakers very quietly, even with the faders down. Note that the noise problem isn't confined to the HDMix, I've also heard reports of Cortex and DDS80 units being pretty noisy, but bear in mind that you'd only hear this when there's nothing playing (which is usually when no-one is listening :D ). The only units I haven't heard this about is Denon/Pioneer....

I'm also a bit cautious of anything which claims to be pro kit, but has a considerable amount of it's body made from plastic.

There's also the price... I know a lot of retailers have now dropped the price of the HDMix, but the original £900+ price tag was based on the £700+ RRP of the DDS80 plus a bit for the mixer. Now that the DDS80 is being sold for a far more sensible £450ish, it makes the HDMix price tag look even more silly, and while most retailers have cottoned on, you can still get a DDS80 and a reasonable 19" Mixer, and a flight case for the money a lot of retailers want for a HDMix with flight case (don't forget the custom made case - they're another £150).

Julian

Charlie Brown
17-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Super review Juilian.

I'm yet to master how to mix the songs properly on the DDS 80 - I half know what you mean about the noise issue.

I would go for the DDS 80, buy a new flightcase and grab Tom's Dennon mixer he is selling off cheeply. :)

Reminisce disco
17-03-2010, 09:02 AM
There's something about the HDMix which make me nervous... I've seen a number of reviews which slate the mixer component of the deck (lots of electrical noise from the CPU/HDD unit which ends up coming out of your speakers, and faders not fading to nothing - i.e. you can still hear the track you're cueing up coming out of the speakers very quietly, even with the faders down. Note that the noise problem isn't confined to the HDMix, I've also heard reports of Cortex and DDS80 units being pretty noisy, but bear in mind that you'd only hear this when there's nothing playing (which is usually when no-one is listening :D ). The only units I haven't heard this about is Denon/Pioneer....

I'm also a bit cautious of anything which claims to be pro kit, but has a considerable amount of it's body made from plastic.

There's also the price... I know a lot of retailers have now dropped the price of the HDMix, but the original £900+ price tag was based on the £700+ RRP of the DDS80 plus a bit for the mixer. Now that the DDS80 is being sold for a far more sensible £450ish, it makes the HDMix price tag look even more silly, and while most retailers have cottoned on, you can still get a DDS80 and a reasonable 19" Mixer, and a flight case for the money a lot of retailers want for a HDMix with flight case (don't forget the custom made case - they're another £150).

Julian

Thanks Julian, plenty for me to be thinking about in there. I read something similar yesterday whilst being nosey on another forum. The guy reviewed it and said it was the best thing since sliced bread and then reviewed it again after he used it claiming there were various noise issues coming from the mixer and took it back to the supplier who said it was faulty.
I am still in two minds what to do as the DDS seems to be getting the vote of confidence, at the end of the day I don't want to make the wrong decision.Thanks for your help so far,

Vectis
17-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I've posted about my experiences with the d2 and the iDJ2 many times. The iDJ2 is basically the DDS80 plus mixer and iPod dock (gimmick), without the HDD/CD malarkey.

I've used the d2 since literally the week they launched and have had sterling service from it. Very robust, never once crashed on me and no noise issues probably due to having no internal drives.

The iDJ2 on the other hand makes a fine backup solution, and is great for the occasional disco where space is very tight and not much gear is needed, kids parties etc. but I have to say that as an overall package it just doesn't match up to a d2/external mixer combo. The mixer functions are basic and do introduce a certain amount of 'noise' and I really can't get along with the mic mixer - it's either way too much or not enough gain - there's no happy medium, and the EQ is horrid - you can add 'top' or 'bass' but not both at the same time.

I have no first-hand experience of the HDMIX but if it's anything like the iDJ2, then I'd also strongly recommend going the DDS-80 + External Mixer route.

Reminisce disco
17-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I've posted about my experiences with the d2 and the iDJ2 many times. The iDJ2 is basically the DDS80 plus mixer and iPod dock (gimmick), without the HDD/CD malarkey.

I've used the d2 since literally the week they launched and have had sterling service from it. Very robust, never once crashed on me and no noise issues probably due to having no internal drives.

The iDJ2 on the other hand makes a fine backup solution, and is great for the occasional disco where space is very tight and not much gear is needed, kids parties etc. but I have to say that as an overall package it just doesn't match up to a d2/external mixer combo. The mixer functions are basic and do introduce a certain amount of 'noise' and I really can't get along with the mic mixer - it's either way too much or not enough gain - there's no happy medium, and the EQ is horrid - you can add 'top' or 'bass' but not both at the same time.

I have no first-hand experience of the HDMIX but if it's anything like the iDJ2, then I'd also strongly recommend going the DDS-80 + External Mixer route.

Hmmmm thanks Vectis, some good words of wisdom there. I'm definitely leaning towards the DDS now(don't take much persuasion ha!) , I appreciate all your comments. I currently use a Numark cm200 usb mixer , is this "man enough" for the job?

Charlie Brown
17-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes, it will be fine. :)

Reminisce disco
17-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes, it will be fine. :)

Thanks Charlie, well i'd say thats more or less decision made!:)

Charlie Brown
17-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Super.

I have that Numar mixer (minus the USB status) and it adequatly does the job. :approve:

The DDS 80 is only £380 from decks (b grade, 6 months warranty)

Reminisce disco
17-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Super.

I have that Numar mixer (minus the USB status) and it adequatly does the job. :approve:

Thanks again Charlie, just got to sell some stuff now to afford it!

Vectis
17-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Or £390 from DJStore brand new with full warranty ;)
http://www.djstore.com/item/numdds80.htm

Charlie Brown
17-03-2010, 05:57 PM
http://www.djstore.com/item/numdds.htm

Why is the stand alone unit more expensive?!