PDA

View Full Version : Denon HD-2500 or Denon HC-4500 ??

sgldisco
20-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Am I Right In Saying That The Denon HD-2500 Has 40 gb Internal Hard Drive, Midi for pc / laptop, Bu 4500 CD compatibility??

& Denon HC-4500 Has No Internal Hard Drive, Does Not Support External Hard Drives And Has Midi, BU 4500 CD Compatibility & Onboard Sound Card??

I Have Just Bought A Very Good Laptop ( Lenovo G550 T6600 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb HD, 4Gb Ram, Windows 7) For Dj'ing But Am Starting To Think The HD-2500 Is The Way Forward...

Any Advice From Denon Users Would Be Most Appreciated as I Am Very New To The Digital Route And Want To Take The Best Decision From The Off..:bang:

Charlie Brown
21-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Numark DDS 80 is also very good with a 80GB internal hardrive, DVD, mp3 player, expandable memory, capable of plugging iPod's in it etc.

Starlight
21-03-2010, 12:06 AM
I don't own a Denon DNHD 2500 yet but from what other users have said in the past, the Denon DNHD 2500 is the better choice, can't remember why they choose this 1, maybe it's stability? Not too sure but I'm sure they'll chime in soon to let you know.

I've just done a Google search for the best possible price for the Denon DNHD2500, here's the first offerings (http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=1799), price to be confirmed, but if you wan't to go down the 'brand new road'. this is the very best price (http://www.djstore.com/item/dendnhd2500.htm) I could find. I'm really amazed as to how much this rather amazing peice of gear has come down in price. I'd use the 2500 over a laptop but I suppose you can have your laptop as main playout system and your HD2500 (or vise versa) as standby in case your laptop dicides to play up.

The Denon DNHD2500 gets my full approval :)

Neil.

Numark DDS 80 is also very good with a 80GB internal hardrive, DVD, mp3 player etc.
I don't like the build quality on the Numark because the Denon 2500 looks far better and looks more robust :) And, out of all the clubs I've been to, they've gone for Denon. My opinion is that Denon are the industry leaders in professional CD players.

Neil.

Charlie Brown
21-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Maybe so - plus the Numark is more expensive.

I love the Numark because of the colour High Definition screen - makes viewing etc so much easier. Shame the Denon doesn't have a colour screen...

Starlight
21-03-2010, 12:14 AM

I love the Numark because of the colour High Definition screen - makes viewing etc so much easier. Shame the Denon doesn't have a colour screen...
I think both brands have their pro's and con's no matter how good they are ;)

Neil.

Charlie Brown
21-03-2010, 12:17 AM
I think both brands have their pro's and con's no matter how good they are ;)

:approve:

Denon is super for clubs and whatnot.

The Numark is "blonde" friendly and great for mobile work...as is the Denon.

D'oh. :bang: :D

Tom
21-03-2010, 12:27 AM
The Denon HD2500 is a good bit of kit!

Well worth the money and imo, is more stable than a laptop or a pc as the HD2500 is a dedicated unit for DJ's, nothing else.

I await the laptop crew to follow soon. lol.

Starlight
21-03-2010, 12:34 AM
I await the laptop crew to follow soon. lol.

The laptop fraternity sir get it right :lol: :sofa:

Neil.

Twinspin
21-03-2010, 12:58 AM
If you have the laptop already then the best bet would be the HC4500 as its a DAC controller to be used with a computer.

I believe you can plug cd drawers into the HC-4500 controller and it will function as a cd player

The hd2500 is a standalone unit no computer needed. To get the most out of this.

You would need.

1. A USB Keyboard (i got a small illuminous Nexus one from ebuyer about £8.00)

Before adding further usb devices to the HD2500 you will need a USB hub to give you extra usb slots (as the denon only has the one) I would also recommend that you get a mains powered usb hub.

2. Hardisk you can upgrade the internal hardisk in the hd2500 but it would be a lot less hassle to go for an usb external hardisk (You can get a 1tb one for just over £50.00 now)

I myself use the HD2500 as my main playout system and tbh its reliable enough and it works for me.

If you want the option of been able to play cds on the hd2500 itself. You can add the BU4500 drawers to the hd2500. (just push the red source button and scroll to the cd option using the knob press the knob down to confirm and that will take you into cd mode

Excalibur
21-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Shame it doesn't have an ear trumpet. :( :( All the ones I've used have been deaf. :bang:

Twinspin
21-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Shame it doesn't have an ear trumpet. :( :( All the ones I've used have been deaf. :bang:

The cortex works differently to the denon and from fiddling around with a cortex and owning the denon this is the comparison.

The Cortex HDC

When you use the cortex. When you have just finished playing a track you can just type in a artist song album whatever and the cortex will respond with a list of entries that match your query

for example.... say you type lady gaga the cortex will come back with

Albums 1 (1 album found by lady gaga if you have it on the hardisk)
Artists 1 (one artist found which is lady gaga)
Titles 12 (12 songs found by lady gaga)

then you would select a category from above... then the cortex will bring up what its found in that category.

The Denon HD-2500.

with the denon you have to be in the right category to find what your looking for

say for instance Lady Gaga again.

finish playing your track.... you would go back to the main screen (to go back press esc key on a keyboard or the back button on the denon to go back to main screen)

Then select the artist category press enter (out of Artist, Title, Album, Genre, BPM, Folder, Filename)

Type in Lady Gaga press enter.

When you do that the denon will display on the screen the tracks by lady gaga. find your track press enter

and the denon cues it ready to play.

The comparison

The denon you have to be in the right category to find what your looking for you couldnt type in lady gaga in the title category. (.e.g artist, title, album etc) and the cortex you can type anything and if it finds a match it will display it.

The hd2500 relies on mp3 tags for searching by artist and title or album.

ive tried to explain this the best way i could.

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks For The Input Guys...

Think The Laptop Will Be Put On The Back Burner For Another 6 Months lol.

I Have Never Really Been Keen On Relying On A Windows Based System For Playout But At The Same Time I Like A Nice Big Screen To Assist In Music Choices Etc..

PCDJ VJ Works For Me & Also Makes Tracks, Karaoke Etc Very Easy To Find.

I Suppose They All Have There Pros & Cons, So It's Back To The Drawing Board For Now.

Does The HC 4500 Not Accept External Hard Drives???

Twinspin
21-03-2010, 01:42 AM
I dont think the HC4500 does support external hardisks i know you can plug external cd drawers into it.

its just the hd2500 that does. unless anythings changed on the HC4500 allowing external hardisks but as far as i know it hasnt.

but the hd2500 does have Midi to use it as a controller. But if your using it with PCDJ VJ. Id go for the HC4500 rather than the HD2500.

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Numark..... I Absolutely Detest There Equipment And Uk Customer Relations / Repair Dept.

I Bought A 200FX Mixer About 3 Years Ago & It Always Had A Continuous Wah Wah Noise Which Came Through My PA On All The Alesis Effects.( Even When Effests Where Turned Off You Got This Horrid Sound).

I Returned It 3 Times And Was Told It Was Normal..

Yeah Right.. Rant Over:bang:

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Laptop, HD 2500, I Would Still Need An External Sound Card, Correct ??

Twinspin
21-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Ive only ever had one piece of Numark equipment and that was a CDN22 about 7 years ago now i had that. Not a bad cd player for a cheap player.
but no anti shock (but for the cost its expecting too much)

I broke one of the cd drawers by accident so i upgraded to Denon and ive used the Denon stuff for about 7 years now and if it works well for you you know how it is... You stick with it. (not the cheapest of makes to stick with but they are decent quality) so money well spent on Denon.

Soundcard is the denon Asio driver i believe (so the hd2500 / hc4500 would be the soundcard and controller.

Excalibur
21-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Thanks For The Input Guys...

Think The Laptop Will Be Put On The Back Burner For Another 6 Months lol.

I Have Never Really Been Keen On Relying On A Windows Based System For Playout But At The Same Time I Like A Nice Big Screen To Assist In Music Choices Etc..

PCDJ VJ Works For Me & Also Makes Tracks, Karaoke Etc Very Easy To Find.

I Suppose They All Have There Pros & Cons, So It's Back To The Drawing Board For Now.

Does The HC 4500 Not Accept External Hard Drives???

As a dedicated HDC user, I've got to say one of those would be my choice. I know nothing about laptop controllers, so can't comment.

I have seen a couple of laptop DJ's at work, and I have nothing but admiration for the good ones. ( And nothing but contempt for the crap ones ) Personally, I wouldn't want to use one as primary playout, but am happy to use one as auxiliary/secondary playout.

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Ideally, I Need An Denon HC-4500, My Laptop, & At Least 4U For A Mixer....

I Have A Giraffe G113 Dj Stand With The Truss Lighting Gantry Above WHich Is A Great Stand With Super Easy Set-Up But I Am Very Wary Of The Laptop Cases That Have A Sliding Shelf On Them Due To Most Of The Time The Laptop Being The Closest Piece Of Equipment To The Drunk Punters Dancing With A Pint Of John Smiths In Hand At 12.30am..:(

I Have Been Thinking I Could Incorporate The Laptop Into The Top Of The Slant Rack By Sitting The Laptop Into A Homemade Shelf That Will Fit Into The 6U Racking, So As It Will Not Be Pushed Out On The Sliding Shelf.

I am Going To Need A 13U Slant Case With 4U Below For My Light Switcher Panel & Radio Mics...

Anyone Any Ideas On This As I Would Love To Have It All In One Case...

Twinspin
21-03-2010, 02:11 AM
For a flightcase id have a chat with Sean from Swanflight. Id tell him what your after he could build you a case to that specification im sure.

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Perfect.... That Sounds Xcellent, Cheers For That :) :)

Shaun
21-03-2010, 11:18 AM
sgldisco. I think your keyboard is faulty, there's capitalisation at the beggining of every single word. :p

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Never noticed that until you said.. Sorted now though :)

Penfold42
21-03-2010, 11:54 AM

It's you, you old fart.......:p :D :D :D :D :D :D

Having said that one of mine went down last night......i'll post later, don't want to go off topic here. :eek: :p :D

After all that - Denon all the way. Did try laptop but didn't like it.....but do have it in case of trouble. :)...and having said that i've seen the HC-4500 used to good effect.....nice bit of kit.

Excalibur
21-03-2010, 12:07 PM
It's you, you old fart.......:p :D :D :D :D :D :D

Having said that one of mine went down last night......i'll post later, don't want to go off topic here. :eek: :p :D

After all that - Denon all the way. Did try laptop but didn't like it.....but do have it in case of trouble. :)...and having said that i've seen the HC-4500 used to good effect.....nice bit of kit.

I was shouting at it as loud as I could, but it refused to play Abba. :confused: :confused:

One channel of one Cortex appears to have gone into a setting I don't want. Pitch slider is now a volume control.:confused: May have to speak sternly to it. ;) ;)

Tony's right. HDC of whatever flavour you fancy, laptop as backup/auxiliary.

Penfold42
21-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Tony's right. HDC of whatever flavour you fancy, laptop as backup/auxiliary.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Excalibur
21-03-2010, 12:14 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't milk it mate. :Naughty: :D :D :D

1st Choice Karaoke
21-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I am having the exact same debate myself, HD-2500 or HC-4500. I kind of want the Hd-2500 but my only concern is that it appears to be a discontinued line according to most sites... I'm worried about the long-term support this might get (updates etc) or if it will be a problem getting a replacement if it breaks on me?

Penfold42
21-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I am having the exact same debate myself, HD-2500 or HC-4500. I kind of want the Hd-2500 but my only concern is that it appears to be a discontinued line according to most sites... I'm worried about the long-term support this might get (updates etc) or if it will be a problem getting a replacement if it breaks on me?

Is that not the same with anything in life?.....you just adapt. :)

Excalibur
21-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Is that not the same with anything in life?.....you just adapt. :)

Brace yourself Tone: :agree: :eek: :eek:

If I were in the market for an HDC I'd cheerfully buy whichever one I fancied.

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 04:36 PM
It ain't an easy choice right enough.. If I go with an hc-4500, I have a sound card built in buy need to buy the bu 4500 cd players incase the laptop conks out.

If I buy the hd-2500, I can control the laptop, Use the inbuilt harddrive or use an external harddrive Etc, But need an external sound card.

For me, The hc 4500 should be able to read an external drive and then the decision would be made :bang: :bang:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-03-2010, 04:41 PM
But need an external sound card.

Why?

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 05:07 PM
How would I play out from the laptop???

Penfold42
21-03-2010, 05:10 PM
How would I play out from the laptop???

Eh? Is not an HC-4500 a playout system for a laptop? :confused:

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 05:20 PM
think we are speaking about an hd 2500 that would need an external soundcard :D

Or am I mistaken??

Any hd-2500 users???

Just to add to this, Can either the hd-2500 or hc-4500 be used for karaoke cdg files??

TayOlver
21-03-2010, 07:37 PM
We use the Denon HC-4500 and personally I love it, although its not HDD.
Amazing bit of kit, and its never failed on me yet. :)

sgldisco
21-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you know if you can play cdg files through it for the Karaoke??

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-03-2010, 01:21 AM
think we are speaking about an hd 2500 that would need an external soundcard :D

Or am I mistaken??

You are indeed. Both the HD2500 and the HC4500 have built in sound cards.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Do you know if you can play cdg files through it for the Karaoke??

You can play karaoke files using the correct software. The HC4500 is a midi controller to control the software.

The HD2500 would play the audio part of the file but not the graphics.

sgldisco
22-03-2010, 10:46 AM
SO both have sound cards.. Didn't know that. So for Disco (mp3) & Karaoke work, I would need a HC-4500, My laptop running PCDJ VJ & the bu-4500 cd drawers for back up. I don't want to use any cd's..... Is there no method of any other playback of the HC-4500 other than the laptop??? If not, That is hugely disappointing:(

Steve the DJ
22-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't want to use any cd's..... Is there no method of any other playback of the HC-4500 other than the laptop??? If not, That is hugely disappointing:(

Why?

Surely it makes the choice much clearer, if you want an alternative playout method to CDs and the ability to control software then the HD2500 is the only choice.

No point being dissapointed if a product doesn't do something it was never designed to. :shrug:

The HC4500 is and always has been a MIDI controller, nothing else.

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Why?

Surely it makes the choice much clearer, if you want an alternative playout method to CDs and the ability to control software then the HD2500 is the only choice.
No point being dissapointed if a product doesn't do something it was never designed to. :shrug:

The HC4500 is and always has been a MIDI controller, nothing else.

Of the two given. ;) The Pioneer MEP would come closest to his requirements I believe, because it can play Karaoke files, but only from the trays ( I think). Pricey, but good, apparently.

Steve the DJ
22-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Of the two given. ;)

And the only two he seems interested in, so I didn't see the point in offering any alternatives, especially when the Pioneer is double the price of a HD2500.

The Pioneer MEP would come closest to his requirements I believe, because it can play Karaoke files, but only from the trays ( I think).

That is correct.

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 01:15 PM
And the only two he seems interested in, so I didn't see the point in offering any alternatives, especially when the Pioneer is double the price of a HD2500.

Point taken. No argument. However: Pointing out what I believe to be an option which comes closer to his wishes, but damages his pocket, gives him more choice. :D :D

Steve the DJ
22-03-2010, 01:21 PM
No argument here. ;)

Might be worth waiting a little while to see if the HD2500 replacement which is due offers greater functionality before making a final decision.

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 01:27 PM
No argument here. ;)

Might be worth waiting a little while to see if the HD2500 replacement which is due offers greater functionality before making a final decision.

Agreed. If it played karaoke files, and had an ear trumpet, I'd buy one. ;) :D :D

sgldisco
22-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I may well wait then coz I want something that covers both eventualities.....

Daryll
22-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I cannot comment on the HD 2500 , but I have the HC-4500 , it does every thing that I need to do.

Daryll

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I may well wait then coz I want something that covers both eventualities.....

While you're waiting, have a gander at the one that does what you want.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/campaign/products/mep7000.html

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/44/106/462/MEP-7000/index.html

Shame it's such a strain on the pocket. :cry:

sgldisco
22-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Very Nice Looking gear right enough but my decision is made.

I want a Digital Music Controller which allows me to :

1. Play MP3 / WAV Music

2. Play CDG Files For Karaoke

3. Facilitates External Hard Drives & Media

4. Laptop Midi Controller

5. No Need For CD Transports (Too Much Space)

Hopefully There will be something available soon. I really can't believe the HC-4500 does not facilitate external drives but hey, That's just my opinion...

Will The HD-2500 Allow CDG files to be played via PCDJ VJ ??

Starlight
22-03-2010, 09:24 PM
This might be a very useful peice of kit (http://www.images2.co.uk/cgi-bin/TWINOLOGY_TWIN_CD_G_DECODER_JS229250.html), but I don't know whether it will work with the HD2500 to be honest, contact Images, they are very knowledgeable :)

Neil.

sgldisco
22-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Starlight, I will do tomorrow.

I am very intrigued ..:thanks:

Starlight
22-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Starlight, I will do tomorrow. Think you may be onto something here. Surely the hd-2500 has a co-axial, composite, or optical digital output.

I am very intrigued ..:thanks:
Good luck mate, really hope it works for you ;) Let us know how you get on, answers on a postcard only please! :D

Might be able to pop down to see them seeing your in Scotland!

Neil.

Corabar Entertainment
22-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Might be able to pop down to see them seeing your in Scotland!Here we go again..... YOU'RE! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Here we go again..... YOU'RE! :bang: :bang: :bang:

I was more interested to know how you get down to Scotland from Oxfordshire? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: A long boat ride has to be involved somewhere. :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-03-2010, 09:55 PM
This might be a very useful peice of kit (http://www.images2.co.uk/cgi-bin/TWINOLOGY_TWIN_CD_G_DECODER_JS229250.html), but I don't know whether it will work with the HD2500 to be honest, contact Images, they are very knowledgeable :)

Neil.

It's a CD+G decoder and therefore works with CD and not mp3s.

Corabar Entertainment
22-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I was more interested to know how you get down to Scotland from Oxfordshire? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: A long boat ride has to be involved somewhere. :D :D :DKeep up Peter!

He was talking about sgl visiting Images! :p

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Keep up Peter!

He was talking about sgl visiting Images! :p

Oops. :o :o :o :o :o At my age I get :daft: very easily. :( :( :(

NKR
22-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Very Nice Looking gear right enough but my decision is made.

I want a Digital Music Controller which allows me to :

1. Play MP3 / WAV Music

2. Play CDG Files For Karaoke

3. Facilitates External Hard Drives & Media

4. Laptop Midi Controller

5. No Need For CD Transports (Too Much Space)

Hopefully There will be something available soon. I really can't believe the HC-4500 does not facilitate external drives but hey, That's just my opinion...

Will The HD-2500 Allow CDG files to be played via PCDJ VJ ??

I would keep some CD's about the place as my HD2500 has its moments. Had another one on Saturday and needed to go to CD whilst it sorted itself out. It had been sat idle for a long time though whilst the hosts had a quiz so will let it off.

sgldisco
22-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, Images are about 60 miles from me, Use them quite a bit but solitaire has hit it on the head I think.

I would still need the bu-4500 for the decoder to work.

Looks like i'm stuck with my laptop until such time as something ticks all the boxes :eek: :eek:

And even I need to travel up to Images lol....

Excalibur
22-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I would keep some CD's about the place as my HD2500 has its moments. Had another one on Saturday and needed to go to CD whilst it sorted itself out. It had been sat idle for a long time though whilst the hosts had a quiz so will let it off.

Pound to a penny, your HD was having a kip. ;) The clever ones on here will tell you how to keep it permanently awake. (coffee or proplus won't help. ) ;)

sgldisco
30-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Well after lots of advice and consideration, I have made the move an gone digital...

I finally bought A Lenovo G550 Laptop (2.2ghz Core 2 duo, 500gb Hd, 4 Gb Ram & 1gb dedicated Graphics card), Denon HC-4500 MP3 Controller & An American Audio Q-SD Mixer..

Whoooooaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooo.......:D :eek: :D

This mixer does everything I need & much MORE.... Wasn't too settled on the mixer when I eventually convinced myself to purchase it but am quite happily blown away with it.

It is a good sounding mixer & also fulfills the job of complete backup with the built in MP3 Player Socket & of course the very trick sd card player...

I will be looking for a better mixer in the future but this is all there was with this media option...

I still struggle to come to terms with the hc-4500 having no other media support but I can only hope the next version they release will...:bang: :D :D

sgldisco
30-03-2010, 03:06 PM
For anyone interested in this route, The Denon HC-4500 DOES play mp3+g files via PCDJ VJ......

DeckstarDeluxe
11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
looking into the Denon DNHD2500 as a better and more up to date backup than my current cds which recently caught me off guard.

Now this by all accounts is being faded out and a replacement is due in the near future? Or at least thats the vibe I'm getting.

Gary
30-09-2010, 12:53 AM
looking into the Denon DNHD2500 as a better and more up to date backup than my current cds which recently caught me off guard.

Now this by all accounts is being faded out and a replacement is due in the near future? Or at least thats the vibe I'm getting.

The DN-HD2500 is at an interesting phase in its "life". Production has ceased on that unit, however, theres still a remainder of the manufacturing run of 'em. Meaning that distributors and therefore your favourite local dealer should be able to get one in for you.

For anyone interested in this route, The Denon HC-4500 DOES play mp3+g files via PCDJ VJ......

The DN-HC4500 will play any track that the "DJ" application that a DJ is using it with, is capable of playing....eg: MP4s, CD-G, AVI, WAV (my favourite), MP3's...

Think of the HC range from Denon (and most other "mere" controllers) as a "mere" DJ version of the good ol' QWERTY keyboard...but instead of a Space bar, an ENTER key, and 12 hard function keys - its a collection of PLAY, CUE, LOOP, and a nice platter/jog wheel. Its just telling your chosen "DJ" package to do a function that the "DJ" package can already do.