PDA

View Full Version : Cortex HDC1000 help please

Reminisce disco
23-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi all,

I have been testing out my Cortex before I use it for the first time in April and have noticed that if I have a song playing in deck A , and I scroll through tracks on deck B or select something on deck B it makes deck A jump slightly!
This happens when the situation is vice versa as well.It also happens whether i'm using a USB keyboard or just using the actual controls on the unit.
Spoke to a mate and he reckons its my external hard drive, something to do with buffer speed??? , all greek to me i'm afraid.!
My external drive is a Packard Bell store and save 3500. (250 gig)
Hope someone can help me out,
Many thanks.

Excalibur
23-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi all,

I have been testing out my Cortex before I use it for the first time in April and have noticed that if I have a song playing in deck A , and I scroll through tracks on deck B or select something on deck B it makes deck A jump slightly!
This happens when the situation is vice versa as well.It also happens whether i'm using a USB keyboard or just using the actual controls on the unit.
Spoke to a mate and he reckons its my external hard drive, something to do with buffer speed??? , all greek to me i'm afraid.!
Many thanks.

Have you got the latest firmware installed? Also, don't search like this using File Browser. That can cause hiccups. Is your HD powered ( by a mains adaptor, not jusxt USB, no matter how many cables. )? If not, this can be a big problem. Can be, not will be.

What your mate is referring to is that if your HD was only 5400rpm, and say less that 8mb cache, it might struggle to get the information out quickly enough.

I have to say that we haven't seen a query like this for quite a while, which leads me to look to a firmware upgrade as likeliest solution.

CRAZY K
23-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Have you got the latest firmware installed? Also, don't search like this using File Browser. That can cause hiccups. Is your HD powered ( by a mains adaptor, not jusxt USB, no matter how many cables. )? If not, this can be a big problem. Can be, not will be.

What your mate is referring to is that if your HD was only 5400rpm, and say less that 8mb cache, it might struggle to get the information out quickly enough.

I have to say that we haven't seen a query like this for quite a while, which leads me to look to a firmware upgrade as likeliest solution.

Except I have a Cortex over 3 years old with no upgrades and never experienced this problem.

Sounds like a problem with the HD possibly:confused: I use a Seagate powered hub with my Cortex, no problems like this.

Try back testing with a memory stick to start with.

CRAZY K

soundtracker
23-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi all,

Many thanks.

Mine used to do that until I started using the cortex manager software, as soon as I installed that - end of problem.

ppentertainments
24-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Also try a defrag on the hard drive - worked for me once

DJ Jules
24-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Download and run the Cortex manager software - it'll index your hard drive so you can search by artist/track/album instead of having to browse by file. Also read Cortex's guide on hard disk management - they recommend formatting as FAT32, and not storing files in directories more than one deep (i.e. in D:\MP3\Mp3file.mp3, not D:\Mp3\Dir1\Dir2\MP3File.mp3).

I think you're probably already on the latest version of the firmware if you're using file browser to locate files.... If you weren't, the unit would have just rebooted :D

If it is your hard disk (i.e. the problem goes away if you're using a USB memory stick), it might be worth reformatting it as NTFS instead of FAT32 (as this seemed to solve someone elses' problems on here a while ago), or it could be that the hard disk is just too slow (i.e. the unit can't get the data off the disk fast enough, leading to skipping). The only way to elminate this really is to try another disk with the same files/directories on it?

Julian

alanni1
24-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I had this problem initially with my HDC1000, but I actually reformatted the hard drive from NTFS to FAT32 and have never experienced the same problem since.

Alan
SoundWave Entertainment

CRAZY K
24-03-2010, 06:50 PM
If it is your hard disk (i.e. the problem goes away if you're using a USB memory stick),

Couldnt have put it better myself--

Come to think of it :confused:

I did ;)

CRAZY K

Creature
24-03-2010, 07:36 PM
the cheat way around it is to add all ya stuff to playlist in cortex manager then load that up via the menu then you can search too your hearts content with the other decks playing - but if you got a keyboard why are you using the file manager just type in the artist or track and it will list em - much quicker :)

thats presuming you have already checked the mentioned above :)

but as said easy way if it try a memory stick as no moving parts so you can hold your finger on the file browser as long as you want and there will be no hickups.

Remember harddrives have multipul diskc and heads and are not designed to multitask as the cortex requires :)playing a track and tehn fast searching

drcrippen324
28-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Hi sorry to hijack a thread but kinda fits in with what im asking

im runing the cortex 1000 with the last update from 08 can play happily from flash drive but cant get my external drive to be recognised am i missing somthing obviouse its a WD Eliments 500 gig it is suposedly driver free (plug and play ) it is powered from the wall nit a usb port any advice greatfully recived thanks in advanc

Andi

Excalibur
28-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi sorry to hijack a thread but kinda fits in with what im asking

im runing the cortex 1000 with the last update from 08 can play happily from flash drive but cant get my external drive to be recognised am i missing somthing obviouse its a WD Eliments 500 gig it is suposedly driver free (plug and play ) it is powered from the wall nit a usb port any advice greatfully recived thanks in advanc

Andi

Two things.

Please introduce yourself in the newbies section. Thanks.

Hmmmmmm, should work, the Cortex seems to find any flavour of powered HD. :confused: ( I've had naff all success with portable drives. :( :( )Only obvious thing, try a powered hub to feed it. What file system is the WD?

drcrippen324
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
This was a powered HD as apposed ot a portable that ran from the usb port for some reason it just wouldent take it qured the problem with staples n oquibble money back guarantee took the cortex with me too and worked our way through the shelf till i found one that ran

wich was the segate desktop hd also powered from the wall thanks for the help
Andi