PDA

View Full Version : Set-up and start or set-up early

Shaun
25-06-2006, 09:59 PM
When I'm doing events locally I like to set-up early in the afternoon (venue permitting). It's nice to do sound checks and work at a leisurely pace. Obviously this isn't possible if theres a lot of travel involved.

Anyone else prefer an "Early Set-Up"? or do you prefer to just set-up just prior to the party?

Alex - Cream Ents
25-06-2006, 10:04 PM
It's always nice to be able to setup early and take your time. Especially at the moment in the hot weather. If there's stairs involved or a long run with the kit...shower required! Unfortunately most of the time its usually a setup and go situation for me. Due to the fact that a lot of the gigs I do are not "local" enough to warrant 2 trips.

soundtracker
25-06-2006, 10:14 PM
I much prefer an early set up especially this weather when you get so hot and sweaty!

Groove Spinner
25-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I only set up early if they're paying for it! That said, I normally give myself an hour and a half to set up, sound check and get changed.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't like early set ups particularly, as it takes so much more time, travelling to and from the venue.

If I do set up early, I make an extra charge though.

If I'm not working at one of my regular venues, I nearly always contact the venue prior to the function to see if there are facilities for me to have a shower etc.

Paul James Promotions
25-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I prefer to 'set up and go'.

Always a good idea to check the access at the venue to make sure you allow enough time to load in and set up.

Corabar Steve
25-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't like early set ups particularly, as it takes so much more time, travelling to and from the venue.
I don't like one in particular down your way.

When I did Ufton Court I went into Reading between the set up & the performance, ended up spending more on CDs in HMV than I earned for the gig :omg: :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't like one in particular down your way.

When I did Ufton Court I went into Reading between the set up & the performance, ended up spending more on CDs in HMV than I earned for the gig :omg: :embarasse

Pop in to see me next time then... :)

Creature
28-06-2006, 06:34 AM
all depends on the venue and the type of booking

i prefur to setup early if possible - often achieving this as a lot of bookings are well over 50 miles away - so allowing extra time in case of road closure/accident or breakdowns this is reletively easy. Also if closer to home nice to set up early - just in case u forgot something or a couple of bulbs have blown...

as for setup and play - I find it very tiring especially if only there for 4-5 hours then ripping th erig down again..... (must be getting old)

Fresh
28-06-2006, 07:58 AM
a good 20 mins to spare is always good, takes away the pressure of the job, also gives you ample time to check and review your kit for any changes or needs replacing soon