PDA

View Full Version : Extracting files from folders

Alchemy
01-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Anyone here know a quick way of moving the files from 615 folders to one new folder? I want to put all my album tracks in one folder and manually it will take me a long, long time.

discomobiledj
01-04-2010, 08:11 AM
copy and paste

Vectis
01-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Mac or Windoze?

Mac piece of wee. Run up Terminal.

cd <source_directory_header>
mv */* /<target_directory>

Windoze

Order a pizza
Grab a wrist rest
Get stuck in

Unless you install a decent command line interpreter such as bash running under Cygwin or similar.

Marc J
01-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Assuming you're using windows if all the folders are subfolders of a parent folder, and the files you're moving are the only contents, do a search on the parent folder for *.* (or all files) and cut and paste from the search results window.

Vectis
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
cut and paste from the search results window.

... hastily grabs pen and little black book ... :p
:claphands:

Alchemy
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Assuming you're using windows if all the folders are subfolders of a parent folder, and the files you're moving are the only contents, do a search on the parent folder for *.* (or all files) and cut and paste from the search results window.

Genius Marc, I'm running Windows 7 and I do believe that will work. Thanks you have saved me a lot of tedious work. :beer1:

BeerFunk
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Assuming you're using windows if all the folders are subfolders of a parent folder, and the files you're moving are the only contents, do a search on the parent folder for *.* (or all files) and cut and paste from the search results window.This is exactly what I do. If you're searching for MP3s only, obviously change the search string to '.mp3'.

If you have a large number of files with the same name, this method will not work for duplicate file names, so you'd need to download a batch file re-namer.