PDA

View Full Version : full set up or walk ins?

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 10:04 AM
hi just wondering what people in here prefer walk ins or a full disco set up?
is it better just taking your cd's to gigs or do you like the setting up process??

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-06-2006, 10:06 AM
hi just wondering what people in here prefer walk ins or a full disco set up?
is it better just taking your cd's to gigs or do you like the setting up process??

I would have thought most people would prefer to just walk in, but the money is usually much better when supplying your own kit.

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 10:13 AM
money wins every time doesn't it!
how many people have a full time job and do this on the weekend only then???

Mayhem 1
26-06-2006, 10:50 AM
I have the best of both worlds.

Obviously with my own I have the setting up, speaking of which, how may of you have set up your full show, stood back and said to yourself "yep, that is mine" only to realise that you are facing a 4 - 5 hour gig then it has got to be broken down and carried down stairs and loaded !!!!

But, with my summer season I do, that is walk in with Cd,s it is lovely, when I finish my show Just tidy up and lock the discs away and go back to my caravan - "awesome stuff"

Summing up, I dont really care if it is either I just enjoy the entertaining side if things and setting up is all part of it.

Regards

mayhem 1

soundtracker
26-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I do a few walk ins- but I much prefer to use my own kit!

pete301067
26-06-2006, 11:04 AM
i love to use my own kit,,,it gives me a sense of pride,thinkin that is all mine,and knowing i've worked hard to get it

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 11:07 AM
so whats the going rate for walk ins and a full set up gig???

Corabar Steve
26-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I would have thought most people would prefer to just walk in, but the money is usually much better when supplying your own kit.
I'd prefer a walk in where my kit was set up!

True the money is better with your own kit, unles the walk in is a club residency, but even then it's not guaranteed (I've done good & bad paying club jobs, when was doing the Rock Clubs)

BeerFunk
26-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Much prefer to just take my decks and CDs, but as Daz said, the money is much better if you supply everything. Not sure what the going rate is, but in any case I wouldn't work any night for less than £80.

Alex - Cream Ents
26-06-2006, 11:28 AM
It's nice to just "walk in", but as mentioned the money is usually not as good. Also sometimes in house kit can be a bit "worn" or "****". So in summary I prefer to setup my kit!

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 11:32 AM
i tell you what the best thing is about setting up etc is when your playing at a friendly club and they say come around at 4pm to set up your stuff then they tell you that you can pick it up on sunday afternoon brilliant i do obviously take my cd's etc with me on the night im not leaving them there but its great when you can take your time with the setting up and taking down of the equipment especially big lighting rigs!!

pulsemobiledisco
26-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I do a mix of the two. I have residences on Mon, Wed, Thu and sometime Sun at a hotel, and do mobile Fri & Sat. I work full time during the day, so like to just be able to walk in with CD's mic and headphones in the week.

The residency is easy money, I don't mind doing four hours work for £90 when you consider all I've had to do is walk in with my CD's, played 1/2 hour background, then the first Cabaret comes on and does an hour and all I do is play her mini disc for her and adjust mic levels etc. Then I do another 1/2 hour disco and then another cabaret group comes on, but this time they have their own guy who does the sound and lighting so I pop off to the other bar in the hotel and have a chat with the DJ in there for an hour, after which I finish off with a bit of disco and toddle off home. Easy money.

But at the weekend the mobile rig comes out because I've got the extra time that is required and can make the proper money.

A1DL
26-06-2006, 05:50 PM
i tell you what the best thing is about setting up etc is when your playing at a friendly club and they say come around at 4pm to set up your stuff then they tell you that you can pick it up on sunday afternoon brilliant i do obviously take my cd's etc with me on the night im not leaving them there but its great when you can take your time with the setting up and taking down of the equipment especially big lighting rigs!!

Andy, does your PLI policy cover you under these circumstances, for example if a lighting stand was to collapse on someone whilst you weren't in attendance?

tony

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Andy, does your PLI policy cover you under these circumstances, for example if a lighting stand was to collapse on someone whilst you weren't in attendance?

tony

interesting i will have to find that one out good point thank you!!!!

Alex - Cream Ents
26-06-2006, 06:19 PM
What about if things collapse when you're having a toilet break? Doesn't this technically present the same issue as there would be no-one with the kit? Or would you describe it as a "prolonged" absence.

Please note the below is light hearted and not intended to spark a "lively" debating point.
The Public are the Liability. :teeth: The little tinkers.

Have a disco
26-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I suppose on awalk in its easier but I would still expect the same money as doing a disco not a paltrey amount like £90. Sorry I dont go out cheap.

But leaving the gear is awaiting a claim to happen if its a walk in job then I presume it will be there rig as well so no PLI probs there and its all down to them but if its your set up and hired rig wether permantly placed there or not its down to you to be there and you could have the book thrown at you in court afraid thats society today always looking to make a quick buck of those that dont pay attention etc etc

CRAZY K
26-06-2006, 08:54 PM
If you dont often work locally like me then setting up early is not an option---or a problem depending on how you look at it re- PLI --

I guess theres H and S to think of as well as PLI for unattended equipment, ALSO if your gear gets nicked unattended---no chance of an Insurance claim :sad:

CRAZY K

Steve the DJ
26-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I prefer using my own kit and the increase in fee because I am supplying the full kit and caboodle.

I have just finished 6 years at a venue in which it was nice to walk in with a bag of CD's but the money was poor and the kit was 3 years past replacing... :mad:

I now put in a clause that says I will refuse to use in house equipment that I believe will be "detrimental to my performance"...

I'm such a pompous git... :D

ian8limelight
26-06-2006, 10:04 PM
I do mostly mobile work, but do work at one venue where you walk in with your CD players and CD's.

Money, as my colleagues have already said is lower, but it makes a change not having to rig & de-rig (plus fills in some dates when I'm not mobile).

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Money isn't always lower for walk ins, the last one I did on a regular basis was £200 for 3 hrs work & that was 10 years ago. Done a few more recently (covering for a mate) at £60 for 2 hrs, but that was also with a greatly reduced CD collection (1 box). Thinking about it how many other jobs pay £30 an hour?

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Doctors, mechanics, lawyers, footballers....

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Un-skilled, unqualified jobs then!