PDA

View Full Version : Backup play back software ?

Daryll
04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
It could happen to anyone , the PC/laptop is running , but your playout software has a fault and wont work , do you have back up software? , and what.

Personally I use RPM , but lurking in the wings are Ultramixer pro , and as a last result Sam party DJ ( there's always Wondose media player :D ).

Daryll

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
It could happen to anyone , the PC/laptop is running , but your playout software has a fault and wont work , do you have back up software? , and what.

Personally I use RPM , but lurking in the wings are Ultramixer pro , and as a last result Sam party DJ ( there's always Wondose media player :D ).

Daryll

The one, the only, the universal solution:

Media Monkey.

Charlie Brown
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Daryll, I don't understand.

Why would the program have a fault. Surley if it was playing up you'd reboot your computer?

Daryll
04-04-2010, 11:31 AM
it can happen that a program just hangs , of course a re-boot is fine , also another laptop ,cd player is useful , but software can and does hang , a switch to a different program is quicker than a re-boot , I can see where your coming from :D

Daryll

BeerFunk
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Depending on the a number of things, switching to another application in the event of the first one crashing may not work - as the first application will quite likely have resources locked.

I think most digital DJs (whether that be HDD or laptop-based) wisely have a completely seperate backup playout system :)

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Depending on the a number of things, switching to another application in the event of the first one crashing may not work - as the first application will quite likely have resources locked.

I think most digital DJs (whether that be HDD or laptop-based) wisely have a completely seperate backup playout system :)

Or two. ;) ( Or Twenty two if you live overseas. Morning Vectis. )

Charlie Brown
04-04-2010, 12:39 PM
( Or Twenty two if you live overseas. Morning Vectis. )

:lol:

So true. :D

MagicMusic
04-04-2010, 12:53 PM
My main software is Traktor Pro but I always have iTunes ( :eek: ) open in the background and have cd back up.

Tony Scott
04-04-2010, 01:53 PM
My main playout is the ultra-stable 'PCDJ RED 5.2' which has never ever let me down in 7 years, it's installed on my rack mount PC.

My back-up playout software is the home edition of VirtualDJ, cost me around £35 (which is a bargain IMO) and has all the features I need as a back-up. It's installed on my lighting laptop with around 2000 of the most used tunes, anything else I might need is easily accessed by plugging in my memory hub.

MEMORY HUB:
I decided after having 3 external HDD's die on me in as many months that I wouldn't use them again so I invested in a couple of quality 8-way USB hubs and some 16GB USB flash drives.
I now have 8 flash drives which are what I use for all my music storage. When I need more storage I just buy another. I works perfectly and is a far more stable solution than an HDD, I've even put a flash drive through the wash by mistake, I dried it out, plugged it in and it lost no data and still works without a fault.... try doing that with an HDD! :D

Daryll
04-04-2010, 02:07 PM
MEMORY HUB:
I decided after having 3 external HDD's die on me in as many months that I wouldn't use them again so I invested in a couple of quality 8-way USB hubs and some 16GB USB flash drives.
I now have 8 flash drives which are what I use for all my music storage. When I need more storage I just buy another. I works perfectly and is a far more stable solution than an HDD, I've even put a flash drive through the wash by mistake, I dried it out, plugged it in and it lost no data and still works without a fault.... try doing that with an HDD! :D

I think that is an excellent idea , I`ll look into this , there is always the SSD option , but it`s still expensive £470 for a 250gb drive.

Daryll

ppentertainments
04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
The one, the only, the universal solution:

Media Monkey.

Yes, IMO the best piece of music software out there. I use a computer as backup and leave MM playing through a playlist continuously. Never happened, but if main playback went down just need to turn volume up on computer channel leaving me time to sort out the problem (ideal if going for a wee too :D :D )

Totally Plucked
04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Another vote here for Media Monkey

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
MEMORY HUB:

Tempting fate here, but so far all HDD's still alive. I've always got at least one spare, and with me. There's a library monster one at home, so creaqting a new one would be simple ( but costly. :( :( )

Yes, IMO the best piece of music software out there. I use a computer as backup and leave MM playing through a playlist continuously. Never happened, but if main playback went down just need to turn volume up on computer channel leaving me time to sort out the problem (ideal if going for a wee too :D :D )
Didn't we have this before? Real DJ's don't go for a wee. :p :D :D

Another vote here for Media Monkey

:approve:

CRAZY K
04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
:D

Crikey Tony, which external drives were these and any partiicular reasons :eek: :eek: :eek:

I run one and have one as a backup.

So backup is just a big hub with loads of sticks;)

Excalibur
04-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Crikey Tony, which external drives were these and any partiicular reasons :eek: :eek: :eek:

I run one and have one as a backup.

Wouldn't suit me , Alan. ;) HD all the way.

Tony Scott
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Not sure why 2 of them died but one was after it got knocked off a table so that was pretty much expected.

Two of the HDD's were decent quality Seagate's and one was a Maxtor-Seagate.

My primary data storage is a hub with loads of sticks, all housed in a plastic case. It houses 2 hubs which will take a total of 16x USB flash drives, so if I'm using 16GB types that's 256GB of solid state memory.

It has a usb trailing lead which just plugs straight into any PC/Laptop/HDD controller I wish to use. It's just like an HDD but with no moving parts, it's super stable and it doesn't matter if it gets dropped.... the best bit is it can just grow as I need more storage, perfect solution IMO! :)

One of these:

CRAZY K
04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Not sure why 2 of them died but one was after it got knocked off a table so that was pretty much expected.

Two of the HDD's were decent quality Seagate's and one was a Maxtor-Seagate.

No my primary data storage is a hub with loads of sticks, all housed in a plastic case. It houses 2 hubs which will take a total of 16x USB flash drives, so if I'm using 16GB types that's 256GB of solid state memory.

It has a usb trailing lead which just plugs straight into any PC/Laptop/HDD controller I wish to use. It's just like an HDD but with no moving parts, it's super stable and it doesn't matter if it gets dropped.... the best bit is it can just grow as I need more storage, perfect solution IMO! :)

Seagates---thats what I run:eek:

Difference is mine always goes on the deck during the gig---

For you non boating types---thats on the floor under whichever stand im using.

I can see the advantage of solid state --i.e. no moving parts

I will be sticking with Seagate for the moment though--touch wood--never had a problem.

Tony Scott
04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Seagates---thats what I run:eek:

Difference is mine always goes on the deck during the gig---

For you non boating types---thats on the floor under whichever stand im using.

I can see the advantage of solid state --i.e. no moving parts

I will be sticking with Seagate for the moment though--touch wood--never had a problem.

Seagate are very good and I never had an issue before but when 3 went over a four month period I HAD to look for a better solution, so far it's spot-on! :)

Vectis
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Without opening the can of worms which is my backup/fallback process, I'd highly recommend OTS Turntables as a cheap and reliable laptop-based emergency backup.

It runs on very old hardware (I have a Pentium 2 based lappie with 256 meg and XP) perfectly well and even has a reasonable auto crossfade function so you can leave it running whilst you delve around fixing the original problem.