PDA

View Full Version : Public Speaking

Shaun
26-06-2006, 01:51 PM
They say that "fear of public speaking" (also known as stage fright or Glossophobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossophobia)) is ranked as the #1 most feared thing for people.

Luckily this is something that I don't have an issue with, but I imagine that quite a lot of dj's do however have some degree of fear, or nervousness about speaking in public.

Anyone get nervous or have difficulty in speaking on the mic?

Maybe you used to, and have combatted the fear?

Or are you a just a 'show-off' that relishes the oppurtunity to hear yourself on the mic? :D

Paul James Promotions
26-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone get nervous or have difficulty in speaking on the mic?

Yes, which is one of the reasons why I chose not to continue working as a DJ myself.

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 02:05 PM
yes the first time i ever dj'ed i was really nervous and had to have 2 double vodkas and coke to settle my nerves but after a few gigs i think it just becomes second nature just the same as any job you always (or normally) start off being nervous but after a while you get used to it!!

Corabar Steve
26-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Never really worried about it myself, though I know loads who do have a problem with such things.

soundtracker
26-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I love the sound of my own voice! Even when its written down!

Shaun
26-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Lmao :)

CRAZY K
26-06-2006, 04:10 PM
This could be a problem in my job :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

I have to talk and shout the whole evening non stop!

Every night I work!

Cant drink though--in case I forget what comes next--then everyones in trouble :sad:

-RAZY K ( BARN DANCE CALLER )

Alex - Cream Ents
26-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Never been a problem for me fortunately, then again I used to do theatre stuff (darlings) and have spent my fair share of time on stage so it came fairly easily to me!

Although my girlfriend calls it "your cheesy DJ voice".

And before you start no I don't sound like Alan Partridge or Smashy and Nicey. :)

Have a disco
26-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I think Ive got that DLT voice so I have been told but thats only the mike doing its job good ole sm58's but I can get carried away sometimes, I have to double check myself

Steve the DJ
26-06-2006, 11:03 PM
In one of my contract jobs I used to have to walk out and talk in front of 2200 people on a regular basis.

Filled my pants everytime. Seriously, I wouldn't eat for 6 hours before this job because I knew I would be in knots.

Funny thing is, I think the nervousness helped me focus on what I was doing and no one ever knew how I really felt because I came across calm and collected.

It's really is different standing right in full glare of people compared to hiding in a DJ box. I should imagine acting work is the only thing that could prepare you for it.

Unless your a bit of nutter... :eek:

Shaun
27-06-2006, 12:30 AM
In one of my contract jobs I used to have to walk out and talk in front of 2200 people on a regular basis.

That I think would get me a little nervous

Corabar Steve
27-06-2006, 01:37 PM
You're liason officer for half of the 4400????? :teeth:

Steve the DJ
27-06-2006, 02:53 PM
LOL

Not quite!

Shaun
27-06-2006, 03:05 PM

You've peaked my curiousity :D

What was the type of event?, and how much power would you use for over 2000 people? :)

Steve the DJ
27-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Not as glamorous as it sounds but I worked for an Ice Hockey club in Guildford.

Being a Canadian/North American sport they have a DJ/Announcer who would play music in the breaks of play and announce goals etc.

I would always have to go out onto center ice at the end to do the man of the match presentations.

We squeezed just over 2200 into Guildford which is nothing compared to when Ice Hockey was played at the MEN Arena in Manchester, the guy there did it in front of over 18,000!

If you are based in Scotland then you have teams in Fife, Dundee, Edinburgh and Paisley amongst others, check it out, it's a great game.

I don't know how big the system was in Guildford but it used 6 large full range cabs above the ice with RCF 12" cabs "fill ins" dotted around.

Shaun
27-06-2006, 03:29 PM
We have the "Fife Flyers" just up the road from me. I've never been to a game but have friends that are devoted to it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Bracknell Bees are near here - didn't they win something last year?

Steve the DJ
27-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Fife used to play in the same league as Guildford but are currently playing only in a Scottish league.

They need a decent sound and light install at Kirkaldy you should get in touch! That old barn holds around 3000 I think.

Bracknell are in the same league as Guildford (the EPL) and won some cup last year that no one has heard of...

They are also Guildford's rivals, normally plenty of fights when they meet which in Ice Hockey is within the rules... :omg: